Female Temporal Raider?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Grand Paladin
Adventurer

Female Temporal Raider?

Unread post by Grand Paladin »

Hi all, I wanted to know if anybody is aware of any mention in published material, of an exams of a female Temporal Raider?
"In America the President reigns for four years and journalism governs forever and ever. "
— Oscar Wilde
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!"
— Adam Savage, Mythbusters
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Female Temporal Raider?

Unread post by eliakon »

Grand Paladin wrote:Hi all, I wanted to know if anybody is aware of any mention in published material, of an exams of a female Temporal Raider?

Since Temporal Raiders are "Alien Energy Beings" I am not convinced that they have specific genders....... They may simply pick a gender for convenience in conversation with lesser beings (which may or may not change)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Grand Paladin
Adventurer

Unread post by Grand Paladin »

eliakon, that is how I view these creatures as well. :)
I was just curious (and my memory on this is foggy) to see if there was any examples of a written Temporal Raider that identified with a more feminine persona.
"In America the President reigns for four years and journalism governs forever and ever. "
— Oscar Wilde
"I reject your reality and substitue my own!"
— Adam Savage, Mythbusters
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Grand Paladin wrote:eliakon, that is how I view these creatures as well. :)
I was just curious (and my memory on this is foggy) to see if there was any examples of a written Temporal Raider that identified with a more feminine persona.

I don't think there are, no. they are genderless as far as i've ever seen.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

on the other hand, i can't really think of a lot of temporal raider NPCs at all, male or female, so it's entirely possible to just be an absence of information.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

eliakon wrote:
Grand Paladin wrote:Hi all, I wanted to know if anybody is aware of any mention in published material, of an exams of a female Temporal Raider?

Since Temporal Raiders are "Alien Energy Beings" I am not convinced that they have specific genders....... They may simply pick a gender for convenience in conversation with lesser beings (which may or may not change)

Are you sure? what is depicted might be a female Tem. Raider...and you'd need to ask for a male one.

Thou, Eli might be right in that they might not have genders.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Keep the horror factor and add to pb.
Be even more terrifying if female raiders looked human.
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Since Palladium stat blocks frequently fail to list a character's sex, one must often rely on inference and illustrations to make a determination. I only know of five published Temporal Raider NPCs:

Malkhom, SA1 pp. 129-130: Repeatedly referred to by masculine pronouns; presumably male.

Lagouda the Hideous, SoT3, pp. 51-53: Repeatedly referred to by masculine pronouns, but occasionally as "the creature"; presumably male.

Shell ("Lord Hades"), CB2, pp. 110-112: Repeatedly referred to by both masculine and neutral pronouns; illustration looks masculine, but who knows?

Ki El, DB1, p. 38: Barely any information is provided for this character, only a name, R.C.C., level, and alignment.

Karadoun the Penitent, DB5, p. 94: Referred to by masculine pronouns, but otherwise little information to go on.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Let's nominate Ki El to be our Token female Temporal Demon.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

it is worth noting that in english, for the past several centuries afaict, "he" is basically the default for a human being of unspecified gender as well as being masculine. in much the same way as the area the CS controls is sometimes referred to as "the domain of man" and yet contains many women, the writers may not have intended to be specifying the temporal raiders as being specifically male, but rather "he" would be the proper pronoun to use for something you consider to be a person of unspecified gender, while "it" would be considered quite rude and basically would imply you're defining the noun it refers to as a non-person.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Yet Palladium has used 'it' and engaged in such rudeness, so I think the gender pronoun informs us at least of the being's assumed gender, whether it is what others assume their gender is, or if it is the gender they present themself or describe themself as.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Rifts®”