Benefit of "Sense Presence" for a Psi-Slayer?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Cafe Truck
D-Bee

Benefit of "Sense Presence" for a Psi-Slayer?

Unread post by Cafe Truck »

I've played RPGs for years, but I'm pretty new to Rifts and the Palladium system. I'm rolling up a Psi-Slayer (who comes with Detect Psionics and Sense Magic out of the gate) and I'm wondering if there is any added benefit to taking Sense Presence? How often will one or both of the others fail to pick up something supernatural?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Benefit of "Sense Presence" for a Psi-Slayer?

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Cafe Truck wrote:I've played RPGs for years, but I'm pretty new to Rifts and the Palladium system. I'm rolling up a Psi-Slayer (who comes with Detect Psionics and Sense Magic out of the gate) and I'm wondering if there is any added benefit to taking Sense Presence? How often will one or both of the others fail to pick up something supernatural?

If a supernatural being is not actively using any supernatural powers, say it's in disguise, then the range to detect them passively is only 50' away. Presence sense will detect them at 120' away, which more than doubles the range for sensing a being trying to lay low. furthermore, the sense ability has a roll, which always means there could be a dragon on the other side of the door and you will just fail to notice it if you roll badly, but Presence Sense always works within it's limited range.

of course, the problem is Presence sense never pinpoints exactly where they are, but it gives you a general idea so you can roll your active senses.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Cafe Truck
D-Bee

Unread post by Cafe Truck »

Thanks!
Avighna
D-Bee

Unread post by Avighna »

As an addendum to the above; Palladium games are heavily rooted in investigation. "Not all is as it seems" is not just a catchy phrase but a known and given truism of their games. Many powers and abilities may overlap, particularly in the rifts setting where games literally overlap, because they may not apply to all situations and sometimes using both can tell you more about a situation.

Return to “Rifts®”