need help fine tuning Rifts off road racing circuit.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

need help fine tuning Rifts off road racing circuit.

Unread post by say652 »

Instead of a combat or intrigue game, I am instead trying to focus on a traveling Jump Bike race team. Because why not.
In doing so I require, a trick chart and track penalty chart.

Also besides bikes and hover bikes what othe small Rifts vehicles wpuld be eligible in trick competition? ?
Failed trick damage to the vehicle??
DhAkael
Knight

Re: need help fine tuning Rifts off road racing circuit.

Unread post by DhAkael »

*ponders* I... have no clue :shock:
I've always just winged it, since my crew(s) have always been leary of tables/charts/etc. At one point I tried doing the AG Racing League
Spoiler:
Wipeout franchise

and Kinetic suit racing
Spoiler:
Kinetica, 'natch.

...but everyone just wanted to go and blow stuff up. :nh:

Wish ya luck... OH, but for vehicles? Modified muscle-cars on rally circut.
Bind the body to the opened mind
Bind the body to the opened mind

I dream of towers in a world consumed
A void in the sentient sky
I dream of fissures across the moon
Leaves of the lotus rise

~Dream Again By Miracle of Sound
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

That would be a cool trick modifier.
I double backflip my hover Camaro. Lol
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

I did a hovercycle race series once. I tried adapting the dogfight rules from the Three Galaxies with some stuff from Heroes Unlimited and one of the Rifters, it was overly complicated. In the end I was leaning toward building a couple skill charts, similar to the combat skills, that would establish which maneuvers a pilot could execute and what their bonus to do so would be based on the skill level of the pilot. The series collapsed and I didn't get around to it though.

I think the thing to bear in mind is that you're dealing with very high speeds through terrain that is likely to be hazardous. Figure out how to make the players choose between going faster and being safe. Carefully read and adjust the crash rules to make the risk real for the players. Suspense and excitement emerge from uncertainty, but too many die rolls will become tedious.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

say652 wrote:In doing so I require, a trick chart and track penalty chart.

Not quite sure what you are asking for here. But...

Piloting related maneuvers can be found in numerous places: TMNT Roadhogs, 1E RT Bk5 (taken from Roadhogs and other books, in this book you can find material in the Skill section and a different set located later), 1E RT Bk8 (maybe a few others) also includes rules for flying in jungle and such (so could be adapted for forest/terrain). HU2E has piloting manuever rules (so does N&SS). 2E RT NG SB (IIRC). Basically Rifts doesn't really do them in the rules, don't know why. Rifts might give a generic stunt penalty (which is what a trick would be), but they don't make it more/less difficult based on the stunt being actually performed.

say652 wrote:Also besides bikes and hover bikes what othe small Rifts vehicles wpuld be eligible in trick competition? ?
Failed trick damage to the vehicle??

Power Armor (though some reasonable restrictions should put everything in the came "class")
Jet Pack
Wing Boards (TW, and Tech) and/or open air flying platforms (IMHO the same thing)
Enchanted by Magic (ex. Fly spell), like Brooms and flying carpets
Mounts (Robot and non-Robot, flying and non-flying)
Ski's (basic, kitted out with magic or tech boosters), though this is more limited when/where you can do it (w/o magic, which even then might be PPE costly)
small watercraft (water skiing shows exist)
Parachute drops (team?)
Hang-glider (don't think this is covered anywhere in the rules for Rifts)
Small Hover/wheeled vehicles can also work that aren't bikes (hover or not), might need to place restrictions on the crew and eligibility for the vehicle
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

You might also consider something like "stock car" racing... you've got to start with a given chassis, and make it race-perfect.

I think your big difficulty will be coming up with something that represents being better at "driving"... If they both are driving a vehicle with a top speed of 100mph, you need to show who's making it work better... cutting corners without breaking the track.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

There's also the rules for rodeos in New West that you may want to take a look at for ideas.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown

Return to “Rifts®”