Have you ever used a Splicer in Rifts?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Have you ever used a Splicer in Rifts?

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Tor wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:They would be in great danger until the plauge cleared out of their system.

I wish we had some canon conversion rules for Splicers regarding this. Since new nanobots can't be created off-world, them exiting you to infect and transform metal you touch should eventually clear you, right?

This eventual advantage for most Splicers OCCs might also be a disadvantage for the Technojacker OCC. Or... can the human-friendly nanobots within the Technojacker replicate unlike the human-unfriendly ones infecting most others?

Nekira Sudacne wrote:the biggest weakness would be a reliable source of MDC healing for living beings. Magic that can heal MDC beings is very low effect.

Doesn't most Splicers stuff heal on its own at varying rates?

Zer0 Kay wrote:If it travels through the nightspaw dimension en route to rifts, no problem. The mirror wall would purge the plague.

Not sure if the Nightlords' dimensional barrier applies to the Mirrorwall itself. If it did then you couldn't bring guns back and forth between Earth/Nightlands while traveling through it.

It seems to be something around the collective split-dimension.

A bit unclear how it applies to astral-converted tech. Perhaps it begins to break down the closer you approach the inner plane?

*can't seem to recall where else besides Nightbane 203 and Between the Shadows 143 that it discusses this*

Uh, the mirror wall isn't the Nightlords' where did you read that?
As for the guns... your right you can't, you also can't bring in a cyborg or they end up coming through as just the organic parts... yuck.
As for the astral plane and dream stream they are separate dimensions from the rest of the Nightspawn dimension (I call it Dark Earth), or at least that is how I play it. To put it in megaversal builder terms I consider the dimensional barrier directly into Dark Earth to be equivalent to the dimensional barrier of greatest difficulty, except instead of this difficulty appearing as a difficulty getting in it only affects non-organic material AND is at 100%. The skin between Dark Earth and Dark Lands and the Astral Plane and the Dream Stream are thin allowing easy transition as long as you have the "key"/means to get in and the skin between the Astral Plane and all other dimensions is equally thin. I play it as if their is only one Astral Plane and it connects all the dimensions, through the fog.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

the mirror wall isn't the Nightlords' where did you read that?

I don't recall any denial like that being pointed out. Better question: why do you think the Mirror Wall belongs to the Nightlords?

Far as I know these guys want to re-unify Earth/Nightlands and the Mirror Wall is a barrier making it hard for them to cross over and do that. I don't think it's their work.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Q99
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Q99 »

Tor wrote:I wish we had some canon conversion rules for Splicers regarding this. Since new nanobots can't be created off-world, them exiting you to infect and transform metal you touch should eventually clear you, right?

This eventual advantage for most Splicers OCCs might also be a disadvantage for the Technojacker OCC. Or... can the human-friendly nanobots within the Technojacker replicate unlike the human-unfriendly ones infecting most others?

I'd assume the nanites would probably run out after a relatively short time.

And yea, personally I wouldn't expect Technojackers to work very well fluff-wise, though if I ran a game and someone wanting to play one I'd go the other way just because there'd be no point to playing a technojacker sans nanos.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Tor wrote:
the mirror wall isn't the Nightlords' where did you read that?

I don't recall any denial like that being pointed out. Better question: why do you think the Mirror Wall belongs to the Nightlords?

Far as I know these guys want to re-unify Earth/Nightlands and the Mirror Wall is a barrier making it hard for them to cross over and do that. I don't think it's their work.

Misread your post. I read "Not sure if the Nightlords' dimensional barrier applies to the Mirrorwall itself." As "Not sure if the Nightlords' dimensional barrier the Mirrorwall itself applies."
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Even sans nanos, a Techno-Jacker still has their skills and a few bonuses, could also switch OCCs.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

the official rule is that splicers nanoplague never goes away (but also doesn't spread). this is quite absurd, but that's the actual rule.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

The only way I can make sense of this (and avoid coming up with 'how long does the plague last' mechanics) is ignore the 'the bots do not replicate' text.

Clearly for it to spread to objects you touch and never leave you no matter how many objects you touch, the nanobots MUST replicate.

I would just say that only the bots in you are 'fertile' so to speak and that any copies they make in metals you touch are neutered so they cannot replicate further.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

except that supposedly the metal only reacts to you, and never reacts to anyone else.

like i said, it doesn't make much sense logically. i'm just telling you what the rules say happens. i'm definitely not suggesting that the rules are logical in this particular instance.

practically speaking, in relatively short order the nanobot plague should be gone from your system even if it is designed to stay within your body (your immune system and the nanobots running out of power should take care of that easily). if it is triggered a few times, i would take a considerable amount of that time away (the power requirements to cause just about any of the nanobot plague reactions other than the ones that are basically nothing at all will eat through any power reserves the nanobots could possibly have in very short order). plus the nanobots are clearly no longer in your system at that point, and you probably just melted them to slag along with the rest of the thing they infected (since there is no place for the energy to go, nanobots are actually quite vulnerable to energy-based attacks; a large object can store a lot of heat. an object with dimensions measured in nanometers correspondingly has very very very low capacity for storing heat before bad things happen).

the only way that could possibly not happen is if the plague is self-replicating, but we know the machine continuously produces the plague specifically because it isn't self-replicating (and frankly, the things the nanobot plague can do with such limited information storage space as can be compressed into a few nanometers of material while also allowing for the ability to modify other objects are nearly miraculous anyways even without making them somehow able to self-replicate infinitely as well).
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I think the metal would attack others once you had infested it.
Wooly
Adventurer

Unread post by Wooly »

There is at least one cross over campaign for Rifts/Splicers.

"Seven Years on Cerebus" Rifter #0 Pg. 13-35 (Downloadable only). Available here: http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/921 ... =4816_5191
By Robert Lionheart. A huge crossover adventure for use with both Splicers and Rifts. Includes the AHAUGR ARTISAN R.C.C., AHAUGR BERSERKER R.C.C., AHAUGR ENGINEER R.C.C.

"The Seven Years on Cerebus campaign is designed so players and Game Masters only need the core books for Rifts and Splicers to play the entire campaign."
“When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.” - C.S. Lewis
psam_rage
Explorer
Comment: I like to go off on tangents! It gives people a better Idea of what I envision so we can be on the same footing.

Unread post by psam_rage »

The problem with "Seven Years on cerebus" is that you have to run TWO campaigns, and your character WILL hate each other and the Tolkeenites lose ALL of there starting gear (meaning gear oriented characters get the shaft, and juicers die part way through) and do next to nothing for the first 2 years. First 2 years for CS is hunkering down and scouting the immediate few hundred miles.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Tor wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:They would be in great danger until the plauge cleared out of their system.

I wish we had some canon conversion rules for Splicers regarding this. Since new nanobots can't be created off-world, them exiting you to infect and transform metal you touch should eventually clear you, right?

If not, finding a mage to cast Purge Other would instantly cure you. As would a lemurian bio-mancer casting Reconstruction. but I agree, sinse they are not self-replicating, an infected human away from any new source would EVENTUALLY run out. but sinse the human body could potentially contain littearlly billions of nanites, it could take a while without magical assisstance.

No, but if one assumes they re-absorb the nanties from any machine after they are done controlling it, they could last a very long time.

Nekira Sudacne wrote:the biggest weakness would be a reliable source of MDC healing for living beings. Magic that can heal MDC beings is very low effect.

Doesn't most Splicers stuff heal on its own at varying rates?[/quote]

Yes, but unless you spent bio-E for enhanced or super regeneration for your host armor, it's going to take several days to a week or so for it to heal to full after a really tough battle, which might be time you don't have. if you do have enhanced regen or better on it, no real need to worry; 1d6 MDC a minute is plenty fast for between-fight healing.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Guess I assume most PCs would buy the regen, but considering how effective and cheap the healing patches are, I could see how many would just rely on those and save the Bio-E for other stuff.

That said, sans healing I think buying a Force Field is incredibly popular and that regens fast.

But then, once you go off-world, you can't get new patches. I don't even know the rules for making them, some kind of Engineer type stuff offscreen like creating the suits/mounts I guess.

Even w/o enhanced healing or a force field, I don't think it would take all that long. Averaging 7/hour to the main is 168/day and they start with an average of 200 for the main and gain 19avg per new level. Course they could buy more which would increase the recov period.

Return to “Rifts®”