Old Chicago

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Crow Splat
Explorer

Old Chicago

Unread post by Crow Splat »

Other than the blurb in RUE, is there any more information about Old Chicago?
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Re: Old Chicago

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

nothing direct.

it's a bunch of ruins the CS patrols frequently. there is a major Ley Line Nexus there so they frequently are dealing with monsters and such.

back before the CS formed, it was the site where the original Federation of magic had it's capitol/HQ.. the CS formed as a result of a war between the city of Chi-town and the FoM back then (a century before the current timeframe)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Crow Splat
Explorer

Is the part about the FoM in the FoM book?
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

I think this would be a great place for all kinds of adventures.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I consider it to be someplace the CS mines for materials and info. It's mostly done through semi-private corporations, with significant government ownership and a large number of ex-soldiers. Send folks in with vibro-saws or laser cutters, remove huge chunks of megacrete and rebar, and take them back to Chi-town for reprocessing. Valuable data found is sold to the government (at the government's prices, but still worth it).
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Did a pretty fun adventure there once, special ops squad has to guard a rift science team and their experimental gizmo that supposedly can close a rift while they test it.

Things get messy, turns out the scientists had been dabbling in magic which is how they had performed this "miracle of technology", bad stuff after that.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Sounds like a fun game.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Yeah, funner to play in than run, admittedly. haha
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
talmor
Wanderer

Unread post by talmor »

So...it's, what, a megadungeon?

Huh, magic intense ruins pumping out new monsters on a daily basis. The government has shut it down, and does just enough to contain the threat without ever ending it. Getting in and out is difficult (probably easier in than out), but it is full of both treasure from the ancient fallen empire that everyone wants, as well as the remains of a powerful magic empire.

Yup, that's where you do dungeon crawling in Rifts.

Cool.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

talmor wrote:So...it's, what, a megadungeon?

Huh, magic intense ruins pumping out new monsters on a daily basis. The government has shut it down, and does just enough to contain the threat without ever ending it. Getting in and out is difficult (probably easier in than out), but it is full of both treasure from the ancient fallen empire that everyone wants, as well as the remains of a powerful magic empire.

^this^ :bandit:
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Crow Splat
Explorer

Cool.

After re-reading Federation of Magic, I would think you would be more likely to find pre-rifts tech than magic items. Nostrous Dunscon had his city set up on the ruins for quite a while so I would think they would have worked over the ruins for pre-rifts magic items pretty well.

There might be some stuff left, but I think all the really good stuff would have been hauled off by survivors. One item that comes to mind is the magic katana from Japan. I doubt something like that sat in the ruins of Chicago the whole time the Federation was in town and nobody found it. And surely a pre-rifts rune weapon would be valuable enough to get picked up on the way out by someone.
Alrik Vas
Knight

I think that you could have a rumor about magical artifacts appearing there from the many Rifts and that itself could be the attraction. "yeah, true, them finger-wigglin' boys took all them magi-dos with'm when they left all that long time ago...but I hear tell that a rift plum dropped a better, scarier copy of the same darn treasure right into the ruins! I'ma find it, son, an' you comin' with me."

because Rifts.

glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Crow Splat wrote:

Cool.

After re-reading Federation of Magic, I would think you would be more likely to find pre-rifts tech than magic items. Nostrous Dunscon had his city set up on the ruins for quite a while so I would think they would have worked over the ruins for pre-rifts magic items pretty well.

There might be some stuff left, but I think all the really good stuff would have been hauled off by survivors. One item that comes to mind is the magic katana from Japan. I doubt something like that sat in the ruins of Chicago the whole time the Federation was in town and nobody found it. And surely a pre-rifts rune weapon would be valuable enough to get picked up on the way out by someone.

on the other hand, the FoM might have lost some artifacts there during the end of the war, and you might be able to find some early generation TW gear as well. after all, it would make sense the FoM would try to use their magical artifacts and devices to hold off the early CS while they evacuated, and such fighting is likely to have resulted in some of those being lost in the ruins.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Rifts®”