Maximizing attacks per Melee

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

zeroclue
D-Bee

Maximizing attacks per Melee

Unread post by zeroclue »

What are the tricks? I've been reading and Alric had 13 attacks... While I'm sure that might be hyperbole I imagine there are tricks or abilities I don't know about or realize.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: Maximizing attacks per Melee

Unread post by Glistam »

Just stacking. Piloting power armor, super abilities, magic spells, rifter material, and more... It can get obscene pretty fast.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

For a hooman.
Skills. Boxing and Athletics.
Hand to hand: Expert.
So thats 5.

Now for a mutant.
Lonestar mutation chart. Natural talents.
Boxing and wrestling. Doubles bonuses And sdc.
With hand to hand expert. Thats 6.

Add in powers or rpa skills and you could start with upwards of ten attacks.

I played the stacking game to start with 13 attacks.
zeroclue
D-Bee

Unread post by zeroclue »

Any psionics, tattoos, spells, or talismans in cannon or is it all player made?
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Naaa those won't work.
Check the blackvault.
Natural talents in Brawling in Roughhousing give you 4 plus the 2 for being alive is 6.
Unfortunately boxing is no longer an available skill.
Add in a suitable hand to hand and thats 8 at first level.
With no powers.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

A Robot OCC (Sourcebook 1) can start with 11+ attacks, depending on the configuration. (Hmm, I may have to go see what the max is.)

And I also recommend getting the most out of each attack by looking at skills/abilities like Paired Weapons, or Paired Pistols (Gunslingers, etc).

EDIT - So by maxing out the robot's attacks (11), adding additional arms (+1), and a prehensile tail (+1), I can get it up to 13 attacks to start. And that's without any shenanigans.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

IIRC, Nekira knows how to make a 1st level PC with over 100 APM.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

zeroclue wrote:Any psionics, tattoos, spells, or talismans in cannon or is it all player made?

There are a HUGE amount of canon items, spells, and what not.
Literally the question is
1) how many APM do I want
2) how much tweeking and 'cheeze' am I willing to do to get there
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The Beast wrote:IIRC, Nekira knows how to make a 1st level PC with over 100 APM.

Alas, 20+ is more doable.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

zeroclue wrote:What are the tricks? I've been reading and Alric had 13 attacks... While I'm sure that might be hyperbole I imagine there are tricks or abilities I don't know about or realize.

only slight hyperbole.

11 is the base number. that's at cap level for hand to hand zanji shinjinken ryo with boxing. the extra 2 cone from attacks that have to be a gun shot with a pistol, the other has to be a sword attack. zanji gives a lot of attacks. think there's another free one in there, but I don't have the build in front of me.

there are spells and other abilities that can boost attacks like crazy.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

There is a martial art technic in ninjas and super spies that doubles your attacks reduces your damage by 50% and can take all your attacks on your first action. (the mystic china supplement Hollywood martial art if I remember is the only one with it.)
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

muay thai lets you take all melee attacks at once with no reduction in damage, I thought, but it doesn't double them.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Blue_Lion
Knight

Chao Ta Kung Fu PG 175-177 Mystic china N&SS. Technic greased lighting kata doubles attack all attacks on the first round, resulting in a blinding display of rapid fire punches and kicks. However all attacks are done at -4 to strike and half damage.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Alrik Vas
Knight

the penalty isn't that bad, but the damage division is painful...still you could drop one opponent pretty quick. though, you could also just rapid-fire body flip people until they have no actions either...for the cheese.

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

zeroclue wrote:Any psionics, tattoos, spells, or talismans in cannon or is it all player made?

Psionics: No.
Tattoos: Not that I can think of off-hand.
Spells: Fleet Feet, Magical Adrenal Rush, Giant, Speed Weapon
talismans: If the spell is w/n levels 1-8, one can be made via the Invocation Ritual (Level 13), it can only be used 3 times (or 3 different spells, 1 each) before needing to be recharged. talismans from outside the Level 13 Invocation Ritual, none that I can think of.

Some Races naturally start with more attack/actions per melee due to their physiology (ambidextrous, multiple limbs, tail, size, etc).

Some OCCs also receive bonuses attack/actions per melee either as a function of the class or with certain weapons (Samurai, Cyber-Knight, Juicer, Crazy, Gunslinger/Fighter, etc)
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Human.
Mutant power cat.
Trait: Ambidextrous.
Major powers.
Natural Combat Ability.
Sonic Speed.
Thats 8 at first level.

In Rifts.....
Super Vagabond.
Natural Combat Ability.
Sonic Speed.
Sonic Flight.
Ex: Physical Prowess.
Multiple limbs: Additional arms and hands.
Radar.
Thats 10 attacks at first level on the ground and 12 attacks flying.
valise
Wanderer

Unread post by valise »

@ ShadowLogan. Yea that is true to some degree. Some of thoes classes are racial restricted. Such as the gunslinger, or i would proudly have a Rahu-Men Gunslinger strutting around, knowing full well that few slingers could match him. Nothing like starting out with 4 attacks/actions per melee just due to race.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Alrik Vas wrote:the penalty isn't that bad, but the damage division is painful...still you could drop one opponent pretty quick. though, you could also just rapid-fire body flip people until they have no actions either...for the cheese.

also decent if you either have supernatural PS or you're wearing some kind of MD-inflicting gauntlet and just want to mash-mush a bunch of SDC targets

Since it is a Kata itself you couldn't use this with a vibro-blade, far as I know, since that would require a Weapon Kata and you can only do 1 kata at a time.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Blue_Lion
Knight

Tor wrote:
Alrik Vas wrote:the penalty isn't that bad, but the damage division is painful...still you could drop one opponent pretty quick. though, you could also just rapid-fire body flip people until they have no actions either...for the cheese.

also decent if you either have supernatural PS or you're wearing some kind of MD-inflicting gauntlet and just want to mash-mush a bunch of SDC targets

Since it is a Kata itself you couldn't use this with a vibro-blade, far as I know, since that would require a Weapon Kata and you can only do 1 kata at a time.

If you also have the martial art technic to always have initiative you can do all your attacks before any one else gets to move. Adding in things like a battle furry swords and other multipliers and you will kill most minor foes you fight in under 2 seconds that might cause a Save vs horror factor for any one watching.

Dude that guy just killed 3 dog boys before I could even draw a bead on him.
Good thing I am wearing my brown pants.

Blue_Lion
Knight

Tor wrote:

normaly but weapon kata as I understand it does not count as a kata being used.
Given the chi sword kata would require the use of sword weapon kata to use this does seam to be the case.

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Blue_Lion wrote:weapon kata as I understand it does not count as a kata being used.
Given the chi sword kata would require the use of sword weapon kata to use this does seam to be the case.

You're probably thinking of "Sword Chi Technique" which is a Martial Art Technique, not a Kata, so it can be used at the same time as a Sword Weapons Kata.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Blue_Lion
Knight

double checking yes I did make that mistake.
But I still stand by that weapon katas do not count as katas for the one kata limit.
Weapon katas are listed under weapon kata while normal katas are listed under martial art powers. IN addition PG 88 of n&SS under weapon kata. "Unlike other katas this does not have the restriction of requiring a full melee round or of not allowing other actions."
Weapon katas either neither defensive or offensive in nature so that also not like than most katas.

Return to “Rifts®”