Brain Transplant, limited to NGR or not?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

valise
Wanderer

Brain Transplant, limited to NGR or not?

Unread post by valise »

I have played characters in the past that where brain transplant before, they had many challenges, but all in all a lot of fun to play. I was always limited to the list in the WB 5. How many of you out there would allow bots and power armors from other books, such as the NE-DXL-07 "Razor" Heavy Power Armor, or the NE-DXZ-09 "Hammer" Super Combat Robot from DB 8?
Nightmask
Palladin

Re: Brain Transplant, limited to NGR or not?

Unread post by Nightmask »

Any robot or power armor can be used as a cyborg shell, it just takes the basic modifications to install life-support for the brain and rewire the command interfaces for direct brain connections. While not one to play a cyborg myself I wouldn't have problems with someone wanting to be a particular power armor or robot as their body, provided they really understood the problems it would cause them and accept that many things wouldn't be possible.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Nightmask wrote:Any robot or power armor can be used as a cyborg shell, it just takes the basic modifications to install life-support for the brain and rewire the command interfaces for direct brain connections. While not one to play a cyborg myself I wouldn't have problems with someone wanting to be a particular power armor or robot as their body, provided they really understood the problems it would cause them and accept that many things wouldn't be possible.

"I don't care if you DO think of that NG Hunter 'bot as your body, I hear you refer to the lower weapons station as your 'mini-me' ONE MORE FREAKIN' TIME, I'm giving you a rail gun emasculation!!!!"
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
masslegion
Explorer

Unread post by masslegion »

taalismn wrote:
Nightmask wrote:Any robot or power armor can be used as a cyborg shell, it just takes the basic modifications to install life-support for the brain and rewire the command interfaces for direct brain connections. While not one to play a cyborg myself I wouldn't have problems with someone wanting to be a particular power armor or robot as their body, provided they really understood the problems it would cause them and accept that many things wouldn't be possible.

"I don't care if you DO think of that NG Hunter 'bot as your body, I hear you refer to the lower weapons station as your 'mini-me' ONE MORE FREAKIN' TIME, I'm giving you a rail gun emasculation!!!!"

I don't care who ya are, that's funny right there
valise
Wanderer

Unread post by valise »

That was funny as hell. I need to remember that line for some of my cyborg buddies. I have loved playing brain transplants. Yes the civil interaction compared to humans even those of the borgs are gone. No form of texture touch. Living places is defiantly different. must deal with how people and police and military look at him. They just have to approach things differently and the fact that most towns and cities wont allow him to enter, and must do a lot of activities through proxies, such as shopping.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

naruni enterprises specifically might be difficult... don't they have some very aggressive "protection" to keep people from reverse-engineering their equipment or something like that? (then again, maybe i'm just extending the skelebot protection system to them for no good reason at all).

but i doubt you'd see any problems with most earth technology, at the very least.
valise
Wanderer

Unread post by valise »

I do agree Shark. I am most likely going to be stuck with earth based tech. I am sad about that as i am a fan of three galaxy.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

could other groups do it? probably. anyone with access to both PA/robots, and full conversion borg tech, could pull if off.

most groups seem to go with dedicated borg chassis type though. even the NGR seems to prefer dedicated borg bodies instead of using modified piloted robots/PA.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
taalismn
Priest

valise wrote:That was funny as hell. I need to remember that line for some of my cyborg buddies. I have loved playing brain transplants. Yes the civil interaction compared to humans even those of the borgs are gone. No form of texture touch. Living places is defiantly different. must deal with how people and police and military look at him. They just have to approach things differently and the fact that most towns and cities wont allow him to enter, and must do a lot of activities through proxies, such as shopping.

I figure the really big 'borgs and 'bot-borgs have a really good virtual reality set-up so they can 'go inside' for tactile stim...In my Paladin Steel setting, the cyborgs have VR 'dens' and SVREs(shared virtual reality environments) with direct selective nerve stimulation. With the right hookups, their flesh-buddies can virtual conference/party with them while the 'borg's body is hangared and locked-down.
For actual Real World doings, having a transferable modular core that can swap into alternative bodies, or remote control avatars, provide an expensive, but doable solution. "Piggybacking' a POV with a really understanding buddy with cybernetic senses and transmitting headjack system also is possible, and makes for some fun as a 'angel/devil on the shoulder', 'backseat driver' making snarky comments or a wet blanket in social settings(<"Al! You're not going to turn off the feed just because you're gonna have sex with the saloon girl, are you? Come on, respect the Bro Code! Don't turn me off! RESPECT THE BRO CODE!!!! DON'T F###ING TURN ME OFF! DON"T TUR-you turned me off, you %%*&$&%& sod...">)
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
valise
Wanderer

Unread post by valise »

lmfao. I could so see that being the case with a few friends. I do like the idea of several systems if i had access to a dedicated cyber-doc to transfer the brain case between the large battle bot and a small power armor or robot soldier to enteract with the physical world. I could still make fun with being stuck in a hangar. Mechanical crew comes in and sees a gaint robot holding up another robot or power armor and danceing with it, while tuned into the local radio station.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

valise wrote:lmfao. I could so see that being the case with a few friends. I do like the idea of several systems if i had access to a dedicated cyber-doc to transfer the brain case between the large battle bot and a small power armor or robot soldier to enteract with the physical world. I could still make fun with being stuck in a hangar. Mechanical crew comes in and sees a gaint robot holding up another robot or power armor and danceing with it, while tuned into the local radio station.

To date I haven't seen anything like socketed and easily transferable brain cases for Cyborgs so one could easily trade between bodies like that, where you could have your 'battle form as it were as a robot and a 'civilian form' that was a human-scale cyborg shell for normal interaction.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
taalismn
Priest

"Idiots! You were supposed to transfer my immortal intellect into a Triax Black Knight, not a John Deere agricultural combine!!!"
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
valise
Wanderer

Unread post by valise »

taalismn wrote:"Idiots! You were supposed to transfer my immortal intellect into a Triax Black Knight, not a John Deere agricultural combine!!!"

Lmao. I could see my self or our GM plling that stunt just for kicks. I could also see my self takeing it and turning it into the Jhon Deer killer tractor from hell also.
taalismn
Priest

valise wrote:
taalismn wrote:"Idiots! You were supposed to transfer my immortal intellect into a Triax Black Knight, not a John Deere agricultural combine!!!"

Lmao. I could see my self or our GM plling that stunt just for kicks. I could also see my self takeing it and turning it into the Jhon Deer killer tractor from hell also.

Considering that I'm currently weaponizing a Zamboni, agricultural harvesters are easy to turn into dreadnoughts. :twisted: 8) :bandit:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
valise
Wanderer

Unread post by valise »

That would prove rather amusing to see. Something most people would not to expect to be able to attack.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

valise wrote:That would prove rather amusing to see. Something most people would not to expect to be able to attack.

Not quite as amusing as a group of PC trying to kidnap a kid for ransom and his teddy bear turns out to be a TW death machine.

Or using action golems to drag cs troops under a apc and kill them.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

taalismn wrote:
valise wrote:

Considering that I'm currently weaponizing a Zamboni, agricultural harvesters are easy to turn into dreadnoughts. :twisted: 8) :bandit:

Doesn't John Deer have a robot vehicle (insect walker) in lumber industry?

valise wrote:I have played characters in the past that where brain transplant before, they had many challenges, but all in all a lot of fun to play. I was always limited to the list in the WB 5. How many of you out there would allow bots and power armors from other books, such as the NE-DXL-07 "Razor" Heavy Power Armor, or the NE-DXZ-09 "Hammer" Super Combat Robot from DB 8?

Really anyone that can produce Full Conversion Borgs should be able to do this. However those that do produce variants like this would have to have a reason. And it might simply be easier to design a 'borg body from the get go for piloting or for the role itself than modify existing PA ('bot/vehicles I can see being simpler).
taalismn
Priest

Blue_Lion wrote:
valise wrote:That would prove rather amusing to see. Something most people would not to expect to be able to attack.

Not quite as amusing as a group of PC trying to kidnap a kid for ransom and his teddy bear turns out to be a TW death machine.

Or using action golems to drag cs troops under a apc and kill them.

And I have a robot vehicle/power armor/cyborg frame that can disguise itself as a vending machine. :wink:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Rifts®”