Pilot jet pack or robot combat: Elite for power armor?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

valise
Wanderer

Pilot jet pack or robot combat: Elite for power armor?

Unread post by valise »

A full conversion heavy combat borg. maxed attributes and armor, then maxed out by a lvl 20 operator. He has the upgraded flight system. Would he need pilot jet pack or pilot power armor?

The borg is 10', 1,000 Lbs. four armed, radar, IFF, all the bells and whistles. mounted weapons is twin particle beam cannons and machine guns for when he needs to use silver or wooden rounds.

I will post him once he is completed. Just wanted your all's input.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Pilot jet pack or robot combat: Elite for power armor?

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Pilot jet pack. Borgs, however well equiped, are not power armor and are operated completely differently.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
valise
Wanderer

Unread post by valise »

I figured i would ask. thank you veary much. Now another question.
If the borg was a prior PA pilot, would the robot combat elite bonuses apply to the borg or they forever lost?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

valise wrote:I figured i would ask. thank you veary much. Now another question.
If the borg was a prior PA pilot, would the robot combat elite bonuses apply to the borg or they forever lost?

Neither. He would keep the skill, frozen at the level he was when he converted to a Borg, but the way a borg works and a power armor works is completely different, so having power armor training would never apply to being a cyborg.

power armor, you learn to move so that the power armor can take your movement and amplify them many times over without becoming disorented or losing focus, as well as how to use manuvering things, weapon systems, ect.

with a cyborg, your brain is connected to the bionics, and you move just by wanting to, the same way you move in a normal body. there is nothing even remotely similar for the skills to apply to.

if, however, he got a power armor custom modified to be piloted by a cyborg (at I suspect a great cost), he could pilot the armor, but at a level frozen at whatever it was when he became a borg.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
valise
Wanderer

Unread post by valise »

I do agree, and thank you Nekira
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

In Juicer uprising the skill Flight assault systems gives bonuses for skilled jetpack use.
I would allow the character to learn that.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

valise wrote:I figured i would ask. thank you veary much. Now another question.

As Nekira said, they aren't lost.

You need either a 'Borg body optimized to use human equipment (Bionics SB Cyber-Humanoid), or a Power Armor or Robot designed w/for 'borgs (if the Pogtail and Gargs can have PA with their SNPS, then I don't see why a Borg can't have one other than availability).

That said, Robot Combat Elite does grant the Robot Combat Basic skill, which depending on your GM may or may not apply to gunner/non-pilot crew in a 'bot vehicle for determining number of actions and strike bonus. Though a Borg crewman in a 'bot seems a waste. Might also apply to strictly vehicle combat to (Space Fighters have their own Combat Skills per PW DB), and I wouldn't consider Jet Pack a vehicle for this, though as say652 said there is the skill in JU that could be applied (though IIRC its for a specific system). So depending on your GM they could make a combat skill similar to RC:E/SF/IFAS/TJB available.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

The phaseworld contragravity pack is faster speed 200mph and silent. So technically speaking a borg could low fly prowl.
I house ruled the prowl role is to avoid line of aight and is at +15% if the skill camouflage is also possessed.
valise
Wanderer

Unread post by valise »

Intresting. I thank you all. The GM has gone through most my characters and has most books. Wont allow me D-Bee's. According to him i full rane for Borg, and either robot or Power Armor. So now I just need to figure out how massive can i build this thing with maximized attacks per melee, strike bonus, and over all damage. As i know for fact that he plans to throw a entire CS Armored Brigade at us, shortly after the group leaves Merc Town and gets towards the New West.

All of you and the fourm have been a astronomical help. It is greatly appreciated.

Return to “Rifts®”