New Campaign: So I got into a fistfight with a Splugorth....

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

New Campaign: So I got into a fistfight with a Splugorth....

Unread post by say652 »

For real. Need and want input for power level equipment and a strategy.

The Splugorth.
Krysscrith.

1500 years old.
Tattoo Magic is his favorite.

So far I have two bricks to start off the team.
Powersurge, Immortal Godling, 16000mdc, Electrical powers, time powers, strong.

Cutter, Greater Norse Giant Reaver Assassin with the yggdrasil gift of Knowledge.,18000mdc, reg D4×100 per minute, change size 6'-40', spells, autododge, lots of weapons, favirs Lynx Eba.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: New Campaign: So I got into a fistfight with a Splugorth

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I am pretty sure at 1500 Young Sploogy isn't allowed out by Mommy and Daddy sploogy without babysitters :D

Seriously, at that age he'd never be anywhere without Conservator and high lord bodyguards, likely a dozen of them, after all the biggest advantage splurgorth have is minions. So make sure you have plans in place to deal with the security detail.
Last edited by Nekira Sudacne on Thu May 21, 2015 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Are you putting together a team to fight the Splugorth? Or minions he might have?
Q99
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Q99 »

Sounds like you're probably going to want Cutter to take the physical attacks, between that auto-dodge and regen.

Try and make Cutter seem like the bigger threat at first, with Powersurge playing support. Then, once Cutter's taken a lot of damage, they should fall back and reverse roles, let Cutter heal up some. Be ready to go back and forth.

Oh yea, and have a plan for status-effect spells, like magic net and curses. Anti-magic stuff is very valuable here.

Hm, I'm not sure whether it's tactically more valuable to go after tentacles and eyes to limit capability some, or just wail on the main body.... magic is a big threat, so you actually do want Krysscrith physically attacking you and using the options that way, so you don't want to limit the physical offensive capabilities *too* much.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Have a clear line of retreat planned out, and a private list of who, of your party, you're willing to throw out of the sled/under the bus to facilitate your escape.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Well I have a charter that could work for this. Masaaki Genda-

From a game we played during a deployment started off in a home brewed world N&SS martial arts tech about 1800's time frame. One of thee ninja brothers (dedicated martial artist.) That where revived from the dead with alchemist immortality. They where destined to fight off a major super natural threat(great demon intelligence/AI). After they drove the threat off the world he would take a few decades of down time to learn new martial arts and then the threat returned stronger than before. This cycle repeated for centuries (over 7 if I recall right.)

After mastering nearly every martial art decided that the end to this great threat would require not only martial arts but magic. Causing a switch from a level 15 dedicated martial artist to a Wu Shih he then spent centuries acquiring magical knowledge and skills. He found the secrete to stopping great threat was to kill it on its home plane. Using magic him and his brothers opened a portal to another realm and killed the great demon intelligence on its native plane stopping its rebirth cycle.

Having ending the demons cycle of rebirth they had broken there bonds to the early realm and figured out the path of enlighten immortal. The three traveled the megaverse saving worlds from destruction time and again. Genda settled down on a world comparable to HU or N&SS tech level and attended college to feed the hunger he developed for knowledge between saving worlds.

After saving countless worlds his brothers had a large number of forbidden artifacts they could not destroy. So they found a way to create a place to keep them away from those that would use them. They created an astral domain with the help of those whose world they saved. Here they could safely store and protect the artifacts that if unleashed could destroy the megaverse.

Genda and his brothers wound up on rifts earth where they help save a small human nation from an attack by a federation of magic being manipulated by a powerful AI. When they destroyed the AI that was pulling the strings the mortal mages realized their mistake and lost the will to fight and where easily defeated by the human nation they had attacked.

Genda realizing how critical rifts earth is stayed behind to keep and eye on it and study it. He was fascinated by the concept of combining magic and technology done by TW and changed his class to TW as he dove into studding it.

Genda is a 3175 year old immortal human with the effective classes of 15 dedicated martial artist 15 level Wu shih 7 level TW. That has mastered the 6th level of the internal alchemy elixir of immortality Riding the tiger.
Last edited by Blue_Lion on Thu May 21, 2015 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I am putting together a team to fight a Splugorth and gm'ng the campaign.

I put in my two strongest characters as the punching bags. Seriously t
Neither will offer advice or strategy to complete the mission.

I also want this Splugorth to be 100% legit. None of this I didn't use them right oe forgot this or that.
Blue_Lion
Knight

say652 wrote:I am putting together a team to fight a Splugorth and gm'ng the campaign.

I put in my two strongest characters as the punching bags. Seriously t
Neither will offer advice or strategy to complete the mission.

I also want this Splugorth to be 100% legit. None of this I didn't use them right oe forgot this or that.

Then the party will need to deal with the minions and there will be lots of them. (I would also recommend making some home brewed special minions types and NPC to show a difference from him and splynn.)
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

You say that Splugorth have a favorite type of minion.
I think Mystically bestowed Abilities villians are going to make an appearance.
Morik
Explorer

Unread post by Morik »

100 handed from Conversion book 2
Blue_Lion
Knight

say652 wrote:You say that Splugorth have a favorite type of minion.
I think Mystically bestowed Abilities villians are going to make an appearance.

You mean mystically bestowed abilities champions. (sure they may work for a evil SOB but they are still his champions. although you could do better than that. such as a new special minion/slave warrior race.)

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

the real question is, what will the splugorth's personal strategy be in the fight?
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Exactly.
I am providing beings capable of fighting toe to um uh tentacle with a Splugorth.
That is my only gift.

I want to gm the splugorth to the maximum of its abilities.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

If I wanted to beat up a Splugorth I would just body-flip him a bunch so he would lose all his attacks. Guy isn't listed as having HtH skill so he can't auto-parry, and his bonuses aren't to good.

If you do this while wearing a suit of power-armor then it would even do MD.

1D4/attack isn't much but if you can manage this for the 11 attacks / round it takes to neutralize him, 1D4x44 per minute is higher than the 2D6x10 damage he heals, so he will be whittled down.

Managing 11 attacks is a tough job so it'd probably be a good idea to get 2 or 3 guys so you have enough attacks.

A trio of level 1 Warmonger PA pilots could defeat a Splugorth in HtH, easy. He'd never be able to get a physical attack or a spell off. Their low protection wouldn't matter since he could never land a hit.

That said, Splugorth have enough MDC that in this case their batteries might run out before they finished killing him via body flips.

Just ignore that Splynncryth weighs 35 tons. Body flips are about using leverage to make the guys lose his balance, you don't actually have to be able to lift them and suplex them or whatever.

*wonders if there is any rule preventing body flips from working underwater*
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

How do you make a blob with an eye and tenticles lose balance? he isn't standing in the first place, he's already laying down :D

that aside, even without a HtH he can still simul-attack.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

okay, so lets pose it another way, since this isn't the "what can beat a splugorth" thread (we already got one). the question is, you are a splugorth, you and your bodyguards are attacked by some God level strength and MDC with some strong ranged attacks. how do you choose to fight them? (this assumes you have reason for combat)
Last edited by Alrik Vas on Fri May 22, 2015 2:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Alrik Vas wrote:okay, so lets pose it another way, since this isn't the "what cab beat a splugorth" thread (we already got one). the question is, you are a splugorth, you and your bodyguards are attacked by some God level strength and MDC with some strong ranged attacks. how do you choose to fight them? (this assumes you have reason for combat)

cast dominate until they fall under my control. they are going to roll a 1 save vs magic eventually :D

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:How do you make a blob with an eye and tenticles lose balance? he isn't standing in the first place, he's already laying down :D

Pretty sure the central mass would be elevated on the tentacles. like this guy http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I ... G-1179.jpg

Nekira Sudacne wrote:that aside, even without a HtH he can still simul-attack.

that sounds like a house rule, SAs require attacks, so you would need one available to do them
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Blue_Lion
Knight

Tor wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:How do you make a blob with an eye and tenticles lose balance? he isn't standing in the first place, he's already laying down :D

Pretty sure the central mass would be elevated on the tentacles. like this guy http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I ... G-1179.jpg

that sounds like a house rule, SAs require attacks, so you would need one available to do them

What was suggested was when you body flip it the fist time it simul-attack as it has attacks and you can't parry.

I think the reason they do not list with HtH is they have natural fighting ability that does not conform to hand to hand. That was true of allot of early powerful creatures they just listed with set number of attacks nota hand to hand. They still where suppose to have the auto parry just there fighting did not conform to standard. SO if it is hand to hand NA that does not mean none.

Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Tor wrote:

They can simul-strike immediately, before losing any attacks.
Last edited by Nekira Sudacne on Fri May 22, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Ok so simu-strike.
Minions.
Psionics.
Spells.

Thats the list so far.
Blue_Lion
Knight

say652 wrote:Ok so simu-strike.
Minions.
Psionics.
Spells.

Thats the list so far.

Well given that they can mass produce rune weapons there honor guard may have rune weapons comparable to a gods weapon.

Location may play into it. they are likely to have a base set up in a stone pyramid so he has access to its PPE as well.

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Alrik Vas wrote:the real question is, what will the splugorth's personal strategy be in the fight?

Depending on the size of the attackers, he/she/it could just sit on them. Pinning them (and possibly smothering them and crushing) under their 20-50tons of weight. Given they are also 25ft diameter and 12ft tall (with 50ft tentacles), shouldn't be that hard for human size attackers, those who qualify as giant size not viable.

Tor wrote:If I wanted to beat up a Splugorth I would just body-flip him a bunch so he would lose all his attacks. Guy isn't listed as having HtH skill so he can't auto-parry, and his bonuses aren't to good.

I don't think this is a viable approach. It is a defensive manuever (that's how it comes across given) you use the opponent's momentum and you need leverage per the description. That you need leverage suggests you still need the strength to move an object with said weight. Given their size, weight, and "design" I don't think it can be done.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Cutter can get up to 40' and Powersurge can Teleport. So no squishing.

I might actually change up the whole adventure now.
Make the pc's play the minions vs the "Invading Mutants!"
And as a reward the mvp of the group gets to use the Splugorth if they fail to "Repel these hostile Mutant Invaders."

Side note, it's AND I added a Splugorthian Twist. ;)
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Blue_Lion wrote:What was suggested was when you body flip it the fist time it simul-attack as it has attacks and you can't parry.

Ah good point, you'd need a tank to start the chain before his allies joined in.

Of course in contrast, if Splynny initiated combat by trying to tentacle you, you could SA him with a body flip he couldn't avoid.

Blue_Lion wrote:I think the reason they do not list with HtH is they have natural fighting ability that does not conform to hand to hand. That was true of allot of early powerful creatures they just listed with set number of attacks nota hand to hand. They still where suppose to have the auto parry just there fighting did not conform to standard. SO if it is hand to hand NA that does not mean none.

Although hand to hand skills not being applicable does not mean you lack HtH abilities, you need a skill or equivalent to have an automatic parry, and Splugorth don't have this. Some creatures do have automatic parries (or at least paired WP which functions better in 1on1 situations) or HtH natural skill equivs in spite of lacking a learned HtH skill, but this is explicitly noted.

Big magical flesh lumps like Splynncryth have probably never even bothered with it, kind of a waste of time.

Even when they possess people in other dimensions where it might be more applicable, the powered-up victim could probably just SA everyone. If they lost, they could just go possess some other body.

ShadowLogan wrote:Depending on the size of the attackers, he/she/it could just sit on them. Pinning them (and possibly smothering them and crushing) under their 20-50tons of weight. Given they are also 25ft diameter and 12ft tall (with 50ft tentacles), shouldn't be that hard for human size attackers, those who qualify as giant size not viable.

I wish we had more extensive rules for stuff like this.

Whenever I see stomp/crush rules for bots they never seem very impressive, and fleshy Splugorth are probably softer than bots.

Sit/crush rules would be cool though. Even if MDC alien intelligences were so soft they didn't crush you, the way they would have to deform around you might well suffocate you.

ShadowLogan wrote:I don't think this is a viable approach. It is a defensive manuever (that's how it comes across given) you use the opponent's momentum and you need leverage per the description.

Although I agree that the semantics of the introduction do suggest a defensive nature (similar to spending an attack to defend via an entangle) they are not actually given that function in their description. Far as I can tell they function as an offensive move, as a strike. The exception being the automatic body flip/throw which can operate as a defense.

Using a normal (sometimes "judo") body flip/throw against an attack would have to take the form of a simultaneous attack, I think? Although I would house rule as being able to do it as a 'costs an action' defensive move (like an entangle). The difference being if you SA you only have to make a strike roll (while in a defense, you would need to BEAT your opponent's).

ShadowLogan wrote:That you need leverage suggests you still need the strength to move an object with said weight. Given their size, weight, and "design" I don't think it can be done.

GMs should house rule penalties for enemies with a wide base of support (Splugorth certainly don't have a 'tall' physique when comparing their width and height) however since we don't actually have those mechanics, the advantage doesn't exist RAW.

You are never required to be able to lift an opponent to flip them. Even in a stereotypical Judo throw, you use your pelvis as a lever, and doing this you can unbalance a guy you couldn't lift. I think maneuvers like the "Irish Whip" we see in pro wrestling where you just jerk on a limb to throw them off balance would also qualify as a 'body throw'. The guy doesn't necessarily have to 'flip' over. (the standard pro wrestling situation where the guy keeps running and bounces with the turnbuckle would be like a 'roll with impact' or a dodge)
Blue_Lion
Knight

I do have an idea for a minion race for him.
Perhaps I should do a write up a minion race that has special affinity with tattoo magic as that is what they you said he prefers.

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Tor wrote: Even if MDC alien intelligences were so soft they didn't crush you, the way they would have to deform around you might well suffocate you.

I don't think you can avoid the crush from the weight/mass. Suffocation is a very likely outcome even if they don't crush you.

Tor wrote:You are never required to be able to lift an opponent to flip them. Even in a stereotypical Judo throw, you use your pelvis as a lever, and doing this you can unbalance a guy you couldn't lift. I think maneuvers like the "Irish Whip" we see in pro wrestling where you just jerk on a limb to throw them off balance would also qualify as a 'body throw'. The guy doesn't necessarily have to 'flip' over. (the standard pro wrestling situation where the guy keeps running and bounces with the turnbuckle would be like a 'roll with impact' or a dodge)

I agree that you can use leverage to lift someone/thing you ordinarily couldn't, that is not the issue. The issue is that you still need to be able to generate the necessary leveraged strength to move them. PA just do not have the leveraged Strength to move something like an adult-size splurgorth. Something in the range of another PA certainly, but you'd need a full fledged giant robot to even consider attempting it IMHO on a Splurgorth since they would be designed with flipping something that massive in mind (giant bots are in the multi-ton range like a Splurgorth).

Blue_Lion wrote:I do have an idea for a minion race for him.
Perhaps I should do a write up a minion race that has special affinity with tattoo magic as that is what they you said he prefers.

How will you explain said affinity with tattoo magic though. It is only supposed to work on specific races. Though I suppose you could have them as the product of selective breeding from one of those races to create this new race to qualify.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Simple because it is a New race, they for some unknown reason have the ability to take tattoo magic and it works on them different than the standard.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Ok unless a character can lift the 50 tons, no body/flip on a Splugorth.
"You twist and slam the tentacle to the ground"
Dealing slam plus supernatural strength damage.

Not judo flip a Sploog!!!

Return to “Rifts®”