Agu.. Escaped Imprisonment

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lenwen

Agu.. Escaped Imprisonment

Unread post by Lenwen »

Ok so as the topic states, Agu escaped being imprisoned via all the other "Great old ones" .. I know I have read it some where that Agu the embodiement of birth / rebirth was already gone or something like that when they went to imprision all the old ones (or something very similar to that) Can anyone help me find it I do not have all my books, else I'd be able to find it.

Thank you in advance.
cosmicfish
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Hi.

Re: Agu.. Escaped Imprisonment

Unread post by cosmicfish »

Are you talking about Apsu? I am not familiar with Agu.
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Apsu is a Sumerian god from Pantheons of Megaverse, Agu is a Great Old One... but granted, maybe this thread would be better placed in PFRPG board (unless the requested info in Rifts material, but I have no idea about that, I thought the only free Old One was Xy/Thoth)
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Lenwen wrote:Ok so as the topic states, Agu escaped being imprisoned via all the other "Great old ones" .. I know I have read it some where that Agu the embodiement of birth / rebirth was already gone or something like that when they went to imprision all the old ones (or something very similar to that) Can anyone help me find it I do not have all my books, else I'd be able to find it.

Thank you in advance.

One Ones or Dragons & Gods for PFRPG (possibly the main book as well), CB1 or Dark Conversions (maybe) for Rifts.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

So an old one is running around loose.
Whats the bounty on that sucker.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

say652 wrote:So an old one is running around loose.

I am not convinced that that is actually true and Lewen isn't just remembering something from a Game or conversation as if it were written canon. i've made that mistake on occasion!
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
The Beast

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

I am not convinced that that is actually true and Lewen isn't just remembering something from a Game or conversation as if it were written canon. i've made that mistake on occasion!

No, he was asking about the embodiment part.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

The Beast wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

No he wasn't? it's a thread broken off from another thread where he is convinced he read somewhere that Agu was never imprisoned with the other Old Ones. He knows Agu is the embodyment of birth/rebirth already. he can't find it, and i'm not convinced it's anywhere to be found.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Compared to a Splugorth how many times more powerful are we talking??
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Nxla is considered a tier lower, if that helps.

Then there's that Slyph fellow, who is similarly considered lower than the GOO.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

we're talking "it took dozens of gods and nearly all the spirits of light in the universe to seal them away, and most of them died in the process" powerful..
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Tor wrote:Nxla is considered a tier lower, if that helps.

Then there's that Slyph fellow, who is similarly considered lower than the GOO.

No, it says "According to Legend", not "He actually is", while entries for Slyph and the vampire intelligences state explictly that they ARE lesser old ones, leading me to beleive the legend is just that, a legend, and while he's clearly a top-teir alien intelligence, that dosn't mean he's actually a lesser old one.
Last edited by Nekira Sudacne on Thu May 21, 2015 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Totally down for this level adventure. This is actually closer to the power levels I actually play and design characters to play at.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

say652 wrote:Totally down for this level adventure. This is actually closer to the power levels I actually play and design characters to play at.

Take a look at Apsu's stats in Dragons and Gods. and remember as cosmically powerful as that is, he dosn't even reach the level of lesser old ones. Greater old ones can slaughter billions, simultaniously, in less than one melee round. the only direct battle we have even vauge mentions of mention a greater old one exterminating not only entire races to extinction, but their pantheon of gods, simultaniously, without any actual effort. they are stated to collapse universes and destory every living in them, wiping out uncountable QUADRILLIONS of beings, planets, and stars in one turn. There are not even stats for greater old ones. they are like the Lady of Pain. the only rule is "you lose. Immediately."

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

glitterboy2098 wrote:we're talking "it took dozens of gods and nearly all the spirits of light in the universe to seal them away, and most of them died in the process" powerful..

In all fairness, even imprisoning a normal intelligence isn't exactly an easy feat.

Perhaps gods just sacrificed spirits of light the way Demon Lords are currently doing, to enact deific level events with little threat to themself?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

So lets start with almost supernatural intelligence work are way up to being able to kill a splugorth then seriously take these munchkinized powerhouses and try to recapture the escaped old one.
The Beast

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
The Beast wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

No he wasn't? it's a thread broken off from another thread where he is convinced he read somewhere that Agu was never imprisoned with the other Old Ones. He knows Agu is the embodyment of birth/rebirth already. he can't find it, and i'm not convinced it's anywhere to be found.

If that's the case then he's completely wrong. All the Old Ones are asleep and imprisoned.
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by RiftJunkie »

glitterboy2098 wrote:we're talking "it took dozens of gods and nearly all the spirits of light in the universe to seal them away, and most of them died in the process" powerful..

I think it was Northern Hinterlands or one of the Land of the Damned books that said it was many PANTHEONS of gods (most of which were wiped out!) to fight the Old Ones. I know it sounds picky, but I think that helps get a picture of just how crazy powerful the Old Ones were.
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

The Beast wrote:If that's the case then he's completely wrong. All the Old Ones are asleep and imprisoned.

Nope, Thoth still qualifies, though I guess you could argue that his true personality 'sleeps' and is imprisoned within that bird-brain.

Even then, that's just the Great Old Ones. The not-so-great Old Ones (I think maybe called Lesser Old Ones) are of unknown quantity and could still be out there doing stuff.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Tor wrote:
The Beast wrote:If that's the case then he's completely wrong. All the Old Ones are asleep and imprisoned.

Nope, Thoth still qualifies, though I guess you could argue that his true personality 'sleeps' and is imprisoned within that bird-brain.

actually his writeup says explictly he dosen't still qualify, and that he is vastly underpowered with a fundamental nature shift that can never again become the great old one even if all his memories are returned.

michael silverbane
D-Bee

Unread post by michael silverbane »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:actually his writeup says explictly he dosen't still qualify, and that he is vastly underpowered with a fundamental nature shift that can never again become the great old one even if all his memories are returned.

With all of his great old one know-how back, he could come up with a way to siphon off the power of the imprisoned great old ones to become some new kind of cranky menace! waah!
It's a big world out there. Go tear it up.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

so at best (worst?) Thoth is a fragment of an old one, with the rest of it burned up in the transformation process. (since old ones are probably more magic than matter..)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

glitterboy2098 wrote:so at best (worst?) Thoth is a fragment of an old one, with the rest of it burned up in the transformation process. (since old ones are probably more magic than matter..)

Yes, This is exactly as I pictured a "splintered" life essence of one of the Greater old ones .. (And it is said, Thoth is thee most powerful god of all I believe).

I started this thread, because I am convinced some where in a book I read that the Great old one who's symbol is Birth an rebirth .. was never found to be put to sleep with the others because that great old one, was a "deviant" great old one.

Tho admittedly (again) I do not have all my books handy, hence me starting this thread to see if anyone else, can find it / has that quote .

The way I see it the "Great Old One's" were on a power level, that their "splintered" essences are many more times powerful then even "lesser" intelligence that we have stats for right now In my games I've categorized gods as follows ..

Head of Pantheon "All fathers" = Millions of MDC, hundreds of thousands of PPE / ISP / Chi (insert power type here) are capable of reality warping events in its immediate vicinity only , as well as every power all magic .. as well as just utter physical powerhouses.

Mother of Pantheon "All mothers" = Hundreds of thousands (if not millions) of MDC (everything else similar in power)

Arch Enemy god of pantheon = always at LEAST 3/4ths of the all fathers powers, all simliar power minus the reality warping.

Then we move down the the as I call them ..

Old Gods (These would be the Allfather's brothers / sister gods.. )
Always at least 25 to 50% power of All fathers power. (All fathers are immune to 75% of damage inflicted upon them by any other deity of their own religion)

Gods - These would be the direct "sons / daughters" of the All father / All mother deity themselves.

Lesser Gods (These would be the "sons" / "daughters" of .. the All father "sibling" gods..

Thoth = (in my world) Hundreds of millions MDC, Reality warping capability, Able to utilize all "Dragons an Gods" deity level powers at 1/20th cost.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I didn't see anything about Thoth being unable to regain his power.

Just that he would retain his memories of Thoth and we are assured that he is such a good dude that he would never turn evil.

He's just such a nice guy.

For some reason the thousands of years he has been Thoth are going to outweigh the possibly millions he spent as Xy.

Also let's never mind him possibly visiting Azlum. That couldn't cause any problems.

After all, Thoth never visits Atlantis and he isn't a particularly curious fellow, so he would never want to check out that weird Rift that Splynncryth is protecting.

Lenwen wrote:Thoth is thee most powerful god of all I believe
Depends on what you mean by powerful. I would not say that of his Africa version. What does make him a contender for the position was the D+G ability he gained to copy any OCC of a follower. He could bypass the earning XP process entirely if he simply got a worshipper of an OCC he wanted. He could easily learn numerous super useful OCCS and get all kinds of bonuses and abilities this way.

Return to “Rifts®”