What is a match for a Splugorth?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Re: What is a match for a Splugorth?

Unread post by say652 »

I think Powersurge and Cutter could trade punches with a splugorth, Now I am going to need Some one to stop its teleport some that deals lots of damage, some sort of psionic, a way to deal that killing blow and a way to escape.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Who wants to help me set up a proper youngish Splugorth, equipped to maximize his powers etc vs as many people willing to add two characters to the fray as want to help.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

SolCannibal wrote:Is there any effect to negate teleport - or impose a penalty on any such efforts - that one could throw at a splugorth along the way?

Dimensional Barrier, Library of Bethrald. flatly stops any teleportation from working.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

say652 wrote:Who wants to help me set up a proper youngish Splugorth, equipped to maximize his powers etc vs as many people willing to add two characters to the fray as want to help.

LOL well only my that I mentioned earlier would last long in that fight. I usually do not make charters to be high power and that one was more how the GM ran the story over the year.
Might be fun to try but the hard part for most would be getting past his guards.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Blue_Lion wrote:Killing a splugorth in 5 attacks using N&SS charter.
Withering flesh atemi (normally reduces sdc by 50% max to reduce to minimal of 1 sdc so 25% max mdc to minmal of 2.)
viboro knife.

So you need a martial artist that can last 1 round with a splugorth to kill it.

Which, if I recall correctly, cannot be used against the Supernatural, and is designed for use against Humans and near analogues.
You could always try to cause a negative chi infection...
Fnord

Cool...I've been FAQed... atleast twice!

.sig count to date: 2

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Normality is Relative, Sanity is Conceptual, and I am neither.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Atemi is essentially super pressure points.

How do you apply pressure points against tentacles? Or alien physiology in general?

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

flatline wrote:Atemi is essentially super pressure points.

How do you apply pressure points against tentacles? Or alien physiology in general?

With Psychic Diagnosis or a similar power to guide you about the weft, flow and function the parts of an alien being's anatomy?
Blue_Lion
Knight

flatline wrote:Atemi is essentially super pressure points.

--flatline

The impression I get is that it is more than just super pressure points but altering the chi flow in the target. So it may take a chi sense to find how the chi flows to find the chi nexus to strike. But the RAW do not require that.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Borast wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:Killing a splugorth in 5 attacks using N&SS charter.
Withering flesh atemi (normally reduces sdc by 50% max to reduce to minimal of 1 sdc so 25% max mdc to minmal of 2.)
viboro knife.

So you need a martial artist that can last 1 round with a splugorth to kill it.

Which, if I recall correctly, cannot be used against the Supernatural, and is designed for use against Humans and near analogues.
You could always try to cause a negative chi infection...

And where is that little jem written?

revised Conversion book 1 PG 51 says "Atemi Abilities are only effective against foes not in body armor. Paralysis, withering flesh and healing atemi are effective on mega-damage creatures but are at half damage/effectiveness." (that seams to imply they work against supernatural.)

The funny thing is super good against high MDC foes not in armor but useless against most armored SDC foes.

Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

say652 wrote:O I'm hooked now.
Why??

Odd... thought I'd pushed post...

Why? To record the fight of course! No matter who(what) wins someone will want the footage!
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Blue_Lion wrote:And where is that little jem written?

You leave that cartoon alone! :lol:

Having said that...I am going by memory, and haven't really read anything on the subject in several years.
Last edited by Borast on Sat May 23, 2015 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fnord

"May your day be as eventful as you wish, and may your life only hurt as much as it has to." - Me...

Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

How about a dude with one of Spacia's Rune Bottles (From a Rifter, 57 if I remember correctly)? It would be possible to seal a Splugorth away in a Rune Bottle indefinitely, with the void one would probably be my first pick to use.

- Jerell
"Pray to Rurga he doesn't make his save."
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Q99 wrote:every time you have to deal with Minions, the Splugorth gets time to heal and so on. Or they can hang around and add firepower against you- which can drop the force fields fairly fast. Enough minions are just something to run from.

That's why you take out all the minions first. Until the Mach-speed Kittani pods came out in Splynn Dimensional Market, I couldn't see any feasible way for Cosmo-Knights to be pursued and interefered with. Plus even then, those things are pretty weak and I don't think they could pin one down.

Atlantis has all kinds of toys to utterly wreck Cosmo-Knights in close quarters, but I have a hugely hard time figuring how they would deal with a single Cosmo-Knight who just wants to circle the place, stay out of range of everything and just pepper with property destruction.

The only major threat that comes to mind is someone sneaking up to the Cosmo-Knight using Invisibility: Superior. But if the Cosmo-Knight kept mobile at Mach Speeds, this would be hard to intersect. A 4th level Cosmo-Knight can outfly Long-Range Missiles... You would probably have to predict their movement patterns and lie in wait. I don't know how far stuff like Clairvoyance would go in terms of that. I don't even think air elementals or people in astral form could keep up with this.

Maybe this is why Splugorth love dragons: because if they spot a Cosmo-Knight they can teleport directly on top of them and latch on? I dunno if GMs would house rule some penalties to their teleport skill in the case of trying to intersect with something traveling at Mach Speeds at odds with you.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
SolCannibal
Champion

Tor wrote:Maybe this is why Splugorth love dragons: because if they spot a Cosmo-Knight they can teleport directly on top of them and latch on? I dunno if GMs would house rule some penalties to their teleport skill in the case of trying to intersect with something traveling at Mach Speeds at odds with you.

Could not a bunch of infernals across the books do the same?
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Probably, I guess there isn't anything about dimensional teleport that says you can't use it to teleport anywhere within the same dimension too... always been a rather un-emphasized natural ability for those guys for something so critical.

Given that a Cosmo-Knight could probably solo most hatchlings or lesser demons who tried this, and most greater demons aren't going to put themselves at risk, I do wonder what prevents a Cosmo-Knight from just flying off carrying these guys and then beating them up alone.

If we assume you at least need a line of sight to the Cosmo-Knight to be able to port on top of him, he could fly out of that pretty quickly as soon as a single enemy latched on.

The real trouble I guess would be heavy guys like Magots who you couldn't carry, they might well drag a Cosmo-Knight to the ground from their weight if they managed a successful bite/grab.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
SolCannibal
Champion

Tor wrote:Probably, I guess there isn't anything about dimensional teleport that says you can't use it to teleport anywhere within the same dimension too... always been a rather un-emphasized natural ability for those guys for something so critical.

I didn't even mean it like that, but from what i remember a number of beings with dimensional teleport also have the vanilla variant too, though i would have to check out a bunch of books to confirm it.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I know in Pantheons a lot of the gods would have normal teleport at a higher % than their dimensional teleport. Just not sure about infernals.
SolCannibal
Champion

Tor wrote:I know in Pantheons a lot of the gods would have normal teleport at a higher % than their dimensional teleport. Just not sure about infernals.

Me neither, truth be told. :lol:
Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Tor wrote:Atlantis has all kinds of toys to utterly wreck Cosmo-Knights in close quarters, but I have a hugely hard time figuring how they would deal with a single Cosmo-Knight who just wants to circle the place, stay out of range of everything and just pepper with property destruction.

Well, if the CK did that, he would be risking "Falling."
Fnord

SolCannibal
Champion

Borast wrote:
Tor wrote:Atlantis has all kinds of toys to utterly wreck Cosmo-Knights in close quarters, but I have a hugely hard time figuring how they would deal with a single Cosmo-Knight who just wants to circle the place, stay out of range of everything and just pepper with property destruction.

For what, endangering the corrupt lives of the traders and clients that make it the most wretched hive of scum and villainy in the Megaverse? :mrgreen:
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

SolCannibal wrote:
Borast wrote:

For what, endangering the corrupt lives of the traders and clients that make it the most wretched hive of scum and villainy in the Megaverse? :mrgreen:

Well there is the minor problem that all the CKs blasts would be wild (shooting while moving) This also assumes that they can see well enough to not get the 'shooting blind' penalty AND that they are not hit with the same penalty that shooting at a fast moving target would get.....
Which means that likely they will be shooting those blasts RANDOMLY into Splynn or where ever. So they are just as likely to kill slaves and prisoners as kill a minion or visitor.

And if you really want to play rough Time Slip + Teleport + nastiness is always an option

(This all assumes that Cosmo-Knights can fly too....something of which I am not convinced)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

SolCannibal wrote:
Borast wrote:

for killing the innocent slaves forced to work in their homes and businesses?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

eliakon wrote:(This all assumes that Cosmo-Knights can fly too....something of which I am not convinced)

uhhh... have you ever... you know... read the cosmo-knight RCC?

it kinda clearly and explicitly states that they can fly, and mentions their speed when in or out of atmosphere, going so far as to describe how it improves as they gain levels...

the rest of your post makes sense. but cosmo-knights? definitely able to fly. better than almost anything in the rifts megaverse, oddly enough.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Are "cosmic blasts" not counted as energy or something? There's an easy fix vs a cosmo-knight for a spell caster with that much MDC.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I personally rule "cosmic energy" is it counts as supernatural energy and damages supernatural creatures.
Also vs the minor power of energy resistance it counts as radiation I.e. no protection.
Bend light offers a chance to parry etc.
Energy expulsion light of course reduces damage by half.
flatline
Knight

say652 wrote:I personally rule "cosmic energy" is it counts as supernatural energy and damages supernatural creatures.
Also vs the minor power of energy resistance it counts as radiation I.e. no protection.

Those rulings seem inconsistent with each other. Bend Light can bend it, so it must be composed of IR, visible light, or UV, but Energy Resistance offers no protection against it?

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

flatline wrote:Those rulings seem inconsistent with each other. Bend Light can bend it, so it must be composed of IR, visible light, or UV, but Energy Resistance offers no protection against it?

--flatline

I noticed the same thing, but wasn't going to reply about it, because 7 can do what he wants. :P
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Cosmic blasts are energy, not line, even if "cosmic energy" is otherwise untyped.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Shark_Force wrote:
eliakon wrote:(This all assumes that Cosmo-Knights can fly too....something of which I am not convinced)

uhhh... have you ever... you know... read the cosmo-knight RCC?

it kinda clearly and explicitly states that they can fly, and mentions their speed when in or out of atmosphere, going so far as to describe how it improves as they gain levels...

the rest of your post makes sense. but cosmo-knights? definitely able to fly. better than almost anything in the rifts megaverse, oddly enough.

Read the section again
The section describes how they can meditate for a while, spend PPE and then transform into energy and fly FTL. It then says that this allows them to fly in atmosphere.
Thus I would say that their atmosphere flight is NOT a constant flight but a "turn into energy and go point to point' thing.
Just because the Fires of the Forge guy did it doesn't mean that its how the power works.....
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

flatline wrote:
say652 wrote:I personally rule "cosmic energy" is it counts as supernatural energy and damages supernatural creatures.

Those rulings seem inconsistent with each other. Bend Light can bend it, so it must be composed of IR, visible light, or UV, but Energy Resistance offers no protection against it?

--flatline

Actually, Fleets of the three galaxies say that Cosmic Energy is a Mix of Protons, neutrons, and Alpha radiation that look and behave like laser blasts but actually have wave mechanics like a particle beam.

it also says it shares many supernatural attributes of sunlight, which I take to mean that cosmic energy blasts can perma-kill vampires as per sunlight.

Borast
Champion

Unread post by Borast »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:
Borast wrote:

for killing the innocent slaves forced to work in their homes and businesses?

And, for indiscriminate killing... A CK killing someone simply because they are evil is committing an evil act.
Fnord

Cyber-Knight
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Cyber-Knight »

Who's Powersurge?
MIAMI, FL: Player Looking For a Game.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Cyber-Knight wrote:Who's Powersurge?

Say652's super powerful PC

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I was working on a character for a hu/rifts game.
I made a demigod:mutant/extremely tough warrior of Valhalla. ......and got shredded on the forums. Absolutely shredded!!

So by listening to others and accepting criticism and NMI's help, I was directed to the pu2 Immortal power category and the Blackvault.
Then greatness ensued and I created my all time favorite Character.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

flatline wrote:

--flatline
in heroes unlimited Energy Resistance does not protect against radiation. Period.
Ee:light half damage from radiation.
Bendlight I fudged to offer another way to deal with radiation.
SolCannibal
Champion

I think this link might be more informative than the first one.
But anyway, neither of the 3, as just mentioned by others.
Cyber-Knight
Dungeon Crawler

Hmm, I created a similar character once. Demigod Immortal (Godling) with four Major Powers (Invulnerability, Supernatural Strength, Ectoplasmic Armor, Mega Wings), one Minor Power (Extraordinary Physical Prowess), Megahero Immortality, Temporal Wizard powers (1 Godling Power), and several hundred MDC. Came out pretty nasty, and would've probably been nastier if I'd replaced Mega Wings with Sonic Flight and dropped Ectoplasmic Armor in favor of something more powerful (I took those two for character appearance reasons. I wanted a winged angel and didn't want to pay for armor repair costs).
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Doesn't seem like much of a ranged fighter but with fast flight you don't always need it so long as you can close the gap with a sniper.
Cyber-Knight
Dungeon Crawler

Yeah, I wasn't able to find a ranged power which satisfied me, at least in comparison to the massive strength that I was able to put on this character. With flight, though, I didn't feel it was really necessary, as I could just fly into melee with anyone who needed a thrashing.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Everyone wants the energy expulsion powers but their low range leads me to think that Alter Limbs into a sniper rifle is ideal, just need a healing power to restore HP you spend on bullets. The PU1 power that lets you link to weapons and generate bullets via HP is also neat, good if you ever have a Boom Gun. As GM I would say 'cost per flechette' to make it take a while to rebuild that ammo.
Q99
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Q99 »

eliakon wrote:Read the section again
The section describes how they can meditate for a while, spend PPE and then transform into energy and fly FTL. It then says that this allows them to fly in atmosphere.
Thus I would say that their atmosphere flight is NOT a constant flight but a "turn into energy and go point to point' thing.
Just because the Fires of the Forge guy did it doesn't mean that its how the power works.....

It's awkwardly phrased, but the meditation/turn into energy thing specifically says it charges their 'FTL powers.' The atmo flight is a different sentence in the same block.

The art shows flying CKs in physical form on occasion, including right on the cover of Three Galaxies, which I'd say is the cincher.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Q99 wrote:

It's awkwardly phrased, but the meditation/turn into energy thing specifically says it charges their 'FTL powers.' The atmo flight is a different sentence in the same block.

The art shows flying CKs in physical form on occasion, including right on the cover of Three Galaxies, which I'd say is the cincher.

Two issues with this
The first is that it requires that one accepts that art is canon. Which I do not accept. (I will be willing to change my stance if someone can provide a written statement that art is canon)

The second is accepting that the flight power is indeed a separate power that is just has its description tacked on to a totally unrelated flight power].

"Each use costs the character 30 P.P.E. and temporary expends 30 M.D.C. in an atmosphere the cosmoknight can fly at Mach One per level of experience."
Its pretty obvious the flight in the atmosphere is the sub-light speed of the energy flight and not an entirely separate power.

Since granting them a separate flight power requires me to accept that the author did not actually intend what was written, but instead intended something totally different....I reject that separate flight.

flatline
Knight

eliakon wrote:
Q99 wrote:

Two issues with this
The first is that it requires that one accepts that art is canon. Which I do not accept. (I will be willing to change my stance if someone can provide a written statement that art is canon)

The second is accepting that the flight power is indeed a separate power that is just has its description tacked on to a totally unrelated flight power].

"Each use costs the character 30 P.P.E. and temporary expends 30 M.D.C. in an atmosphere the cosmoknight can fly at Mach One per level of experience."
Its pretty obvious the flight in the atmosphere is the sub-light speed of the energy flight and not an entirely separate power.

Since granting them a separate flight power requires me to accept that the author did not actually intend what was written, but instead intended something totally different....I reject that separate flight.

I propose a new thread to discuss whether or not Cosmoknights can fly.

--flatline

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

flatline wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Q99 wrote:

Two issues with this

--flatline

Done
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=148380

flatline
Knight

eliakon wrote:
flatline wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Q99 wrote:

Two issues with this

--flatline

Done
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=148380

Thanks!

--flatline

Cyber-Knight
Dungeon Crawler

Tor wrote:Everyone wants the energy expulsion powers but their low range leads me to think that Alter Limbs into a sniper rifle is ideal, just need a healing power to restore HP you spend on bullets. The PU1 power that lets you link to weapons and generate bullets via HP is also neat, good if you ever have a Boom Gun. As GM I would say 'cost per flechette' to make it take a while to rebuild that ammo.

I was looking at Powers Unlimited 1, and Gun Limb seems like a really great power. It's a Minor power, but you burn 1 Hit Point per 12 bullets, and can fine a burst of 3 shots for 1d6x10 damage.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Ok first, no throwing things at me. Seriously.

Alien power category.

Android Humanoid. Only hurt by physical based psionics.
Toxic Atmosphere. No need for air.

MegaHero Phase Mystic Sea inquisitor Warrior of Valhalla! !

So much cheese. Put him in a Glitterboy and its 3D6×10 times two to Spluggiepants.

Ow! Who threw that!
Q99
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Q99 »

say652 wrote:So much cheese. Put him in a Glitterboy and its 3D6×10 times two to Spluggiepants.

Triax Fatboy, 6d6x10x2 :)

Average damage per attack, 420 MD.
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Triax Fatboy? Is that from Triax 2?
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard

Return to “Rifts®”