Strength question

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lenwen

Strength question

Unread post by Lenwen »

Anyone know what numeric value of ps would be needed to lift 100 tonnes ? Or is that even possible in the palladium megaverse at all ??
valise
Wanderer

Re: Strength question

Unread post by valise »

I do baleave you would need a Supernatural P.S. of 12,000. So no it should not be possiable at all to manually lift that much weight.
If your lucky you could get your supernatural P.S. upward of between 30 and 50. I have rarley seen a P.S. higher then that. A 50 would have you carrying 1 ton, and lifting two.
As I said you are not lickly to get your P.S. up to the 50 mark. Mst lickly between high twents and high thirtys is what i normally see with supernatural characters.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Lenwen wrote:Anyone know what numeric value of ps would be needed to lift 100 tonnes ? Or is that even possible in the palladium megaverse at all ??

100 tons is 200,000 pounds

a normal PS of 5,000 would be needed

a Robotic PS of 4,000 would be needed

A supernatural PS of 2,000 would be needed

If one has has the power of Stone Ox from Rifts Japan, it increases lifting and carrying capacity by x50. a normal PS of 100 would be required.

if you got someone with stone Ox, and gave them an augment that granted them supernatural strength, say, the Dragon tattoo from the same book, then a PS of only 40 would be required.

At last, a manageable number.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
H.P. Hovercraft
Explorer

Unread post by H.P. Hovercraft »

Lenwen wrote:Anyone know what numeric value of ps would be needed to lift 100 tonnes ? Or is that even possible in the palladium megaverse at all ??

Yeah..........I once tried to figure out the same thing for a HU character based on Super*** (Dude).

The end result is that you're going to need a Supernatural PS char with a PS attribute within a couple 1000's range.

So, no.

100 tonnes isn't really do-able in Palladium's rule systems (unless you add Gravity Manipulation into the mix.....but by then you're getting diminishing returns on your investment).
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

actually depending on how you read the "rules" it is possible for a significantly lower strength to manage it. but many people will insist that its a "creative interpretation and doesn't apply.

anyway target ~200,000 lbs + lifting capacity.

reference rifts ultimate edition pg 284 attributes beyond 30
under ordinary "human ps" for every 5 points beyond 30 they can lift or carry 30% more than usual

3-16 "normal" can carry 10x their str in lbs
17+ can carry 20x instaid

robots with ps 17+ can lift and carry 25x str
note giant robots with a str of 40+ can carry 100x ps
supernatural ps 18+ can carry 50x ps

and generally all can lift 2x what they can carry

IF you decide that the beyond 30 str bonus applies then the numbers get a lot more manageable

like supernatural ps 30 can lift ~3000 lbs
35 supernatural base would be 3500 lbs, but if you apply the +30% rule it would be 4550 lbs instaid
40 ps should be 4000lbs but could be 6400 lbs
45 would be 4500lbs or 8550 lbs
50 would be 5000 lbs or 11000 lbs

there are a few other notes like quadropeds (like dogs/horses) etc can carry more...

pg 146 (dog boys) physical bonuses regardless of breed:
physical endurance of the dog boy is twice that of humans when it comes to fatigue and lifting weight in all cases.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

a human with those abilities isn't impossible to come by, considering if lady luck is on your side, you can get a 30 before physical skills. so after, a 40 can be done without super powers, then you have stone ox and gain SN PS somehow and bam...chucking tanks.

though, personally, I'd adjust carry and lift based of the character's mass. a giant creature can use its size and mass for leverage, after all.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Thought Atlas could do it?
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

A Juicer with a P.S. of 153 could do it. 110 x 20 x 2 x 4 x 8.2 (the multiplier for the additional 30% for every 5 points over 30) = 200,736 lbs.
Last edited by Glistam on Sun May 10, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

It should be possible.

First: Power Leech if they absorb enough energy could do it (if Nekira's right about the numbers as I don't feel like double checking them, one PL only needs 49,700MDC/PPE worth of energy to get a SN PS of 2000, granted at this point their size/mass is going to be potentially obscene, that also assumes every random roll possible nets the max amount so that really is the smallest amount of energy)

Second. Are we limiting ourselves to one individual or a group, and what type of tools might they have to give them mechanical advantage (ex block and tackle) or is this raw strength? With the right tools you could lower the PS requirement.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

If one has has the power of Stone Ox from Rifts Japan, it increases lifting and carrying capacity by x50. a normal PS of 100 would be required.

if you got someone with stone Ox, and gave them an augment that granted them supernatural strength, say, the Dragon tattoo from the same book, then a PS of only 40 would be required.

So then it would be..

Snps (x50) then x50 again ??
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Lenwen wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

So then it would be..

No, you said lift, not carry, SN PS carry's at x50 and lifts at x100. Stone Ox (Rifts Japan) version adds x50 to both values of whoever has it. so it would be 40x100x50
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Lenwen wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

So then it would be..

No, you said lift, not carry, SN PS carry's at x50 and lifts at x100. Stone Ox (Rifts Japan) version adds x50 to both values of whoever has it. so it would be 40x100x50

You can also reduce the requirements by having the spell "Mystic Fulcrum" cast on the person. That will increase Lift by 50% and Carry by 10%.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Ok.

Start from megahero.
tremendous strength.ps+20 lift times 500.
Major power Supernatural strength. Ps+30+2D6 lift times 750 lbs.

Major power BrickTricks. Lift increased by 75% to
1195 times ps in lbs.
And finally Gravity Manipulation to increase lift to times 15 Of the increased max lift.
Personally I would chang Gravity Manipulation for Teleport or Stretching.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

With Gravity Manipulation you get a strength arond ps:60 lift of 540 something tons.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

ok so lemme see if I am following yous guys correctly. (if I am not, please help me out haha)

Mega Hero Strength : 60 x 100 (lifting capability) = 6,000 lbs. (3 tons)

Stone Ox (Rifts Japan) = X 50 . (6,000 x 50) = 300,000 lbs (150 tonnes)

Gravity manipulation = x 15 (300,000lbs x 15) 4,500,000 lbs. (2,250 tonnes)

Brick Tricks = +75% = 7,875,000 lbs. (3,937.5 Tonnes)

Is this how it would work and is the math correct ? (SNPS of 60, of a Mega hero)
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Incorrect good sir.
Supernatural strength in heroes unlimited is lift ps times 500lbs.
Plus megahero bonuses of 50% to range, sdc, etc.
Without gravity manipulation the character lifts 35tons. Add in Teleport and wow I jumping smashing clapping stomping Beastmode of a hero that can cover 5miles instantaneously.
I use the Blackvault but not the full 50% increase across the board for megaheroes.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

say652 wrote:Incorrect good sir.
A) - Supernatural strength in heroes unlimited is lift ps times 500lbs.
B) - Plus megahero bonuses of 50% to range, sdc, etc.

Without gravity manipulation the character lifts 35tons. Add in Teleport and wow I jumping smashing clapping stomping Beastmode of a hero that can cover 5miles instantaneously.
I use the Blackvault but not the full 50% increase across the board for megaheroes.

A+B = (assuming 60 SNPS) 30,000 / 2 = 15 tonnes + 50% = 22.5 tonnes.

Stone Ox (Rifts Japan) = 50 x 45,000 = 2,250,000

Gravity manipulation = 15 x 2,250,000 = 33,750,000

Brick Tricks = +75% (75% of 33,750,000 lbs = 59,062,500 lbs .. or 29,531.25 tonnes.

(Is that right ?)
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Unfortunately, you can not multiply those in that manner.

BoM p22 wrote:If it gives a multiplier, that multiplier is based off the character's normal strength, and does not include other bonuses to strength gained through magic.

So if Bob the Mage has three things that double his PS of 10, then the answer is:
10 (base) + 10 (first double) + 10 (second double) + 10 (third double) = 40
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Mack wrote:Unfortunately, you can not multiply those in that manner.

BoM p22 wrote:If it gives a multiplier, that multiplier is based off the character's normal strength, and does not include other bonuses to strength gained through magic.

So if Bob the Mage has three things that double his PS of 10, then the answer is:
10 (base) + 10 (first double) + 10 (second double) + 10 (third double) = 40

Ok so then all strength "doublers" do in fact double.. "Base only" strength.

So then perhaps this is correct ..

SNPS - 60

Stone ox = +50% (+30 snps)
Brick Tricks = +75% of base SNPS (60) is +45 to the PS (which after both +30 and the +45 is now .. SNPS of 135.

We know as a matter of fact, SNPS is x500 (HU style) of lift capability. Which means SNPS (135) x Lift Capacity (500) = 67,500 lbs (33.75 Tonnes)

And now we have ..

Gravity Manipulation is x15.

(Is this also then SNPS) (60) x 15 ? Or is it .. 33.75 tonnes (67,500lbs x 15 ) ? ?

After further reading of the Super (major) power Gravity Manipulation .. Holy man is that Severly vague .. wow ! :eek:

It does not have a limit of the amount of weight you can make "lighter"..

It does say that it is x100 the persons normal weight capacity. So for this it would be .. Which means SNPS (135) x Lift Capacity (500) = 67,500 lbs (33.75 Tonnes) x 100.

67,500 x 100 = 6`750`000 lbs. 3,375 tonnes.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Wow peeps chill with the super math before sone jackwagon summons a demon.

Step 1.)
Supernatural Strength Major super ability.
Lift ps times 500 lbs.
So MH bonuses make this first 500 into a 750.

Step 2)
750lbs times ps lift. Plus the BrickTricks bonus that if you did your homework applies only to lift! Max movement speed:6.
Cannot throw superheavy objects.
1312.5lbs times ps lift.

Step three) The wasted Step I call this one.
Gravity Manipulation clearly states if combined wuth other powers the max lift is only multiplied by 10 not 100......
So the megahero bonus takes this 10 up to a 15.
For a whopping 19,687.5lbs times ps.
A truly Gargantuan Lift.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

say652 wrote:Wow peeps chill with the super math before sone jackwagon summons a demon.

Step 1.)
Supernatural Strength Major super ability.
Lift ps times 500 lbs.
So MH bonuses make this first 500 into a 750.

Step 2)
750lbs times ps lift. Plus the BrickTricks bonus that if you did your homework applies only to lift! Max movement speed:6.
Cannot throw superheavy objects.
1312.5lbs times ps lift.

Step three) The wasted Step I call this one.
Gravity Manipulation clearly states if combined wuth other powers the max lift is only multiplied by 10 not 100......
So the megahero bonus takes this 10 up to a 15.
For a whopping 19,687.5lbs times ps.
A truly Gargantuan Lift.

Your step 2 .. (1,312.5 lbs) where did you get this numeric value from ? 750 * 60(ps) = 45`000lbs (22.4 tonnes)

So where does 1,312.5 come from ?
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

750lbs times 1.75 for the seventy five percent increase in lift BrickTricks gives you.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

So anyone with HU scale Supernatural Strength, Stone Ox and a PS of 8+ can lift 100 tons.
Or anyone with HU scale PS 400
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Yes. Stone ox uses ppe though??

Unless a mystically bestowed Abilities hero, I personally dont allow magic n super powers to blend. There is a few instances where you can have Super Powers and psionics.

In heroes unlimited, Supernatural strength is one of the bigboy powers until around level:10 when energy expulsion powers deal similiar damage at range.

For most of my characters I try to keep it around SnPs:40 decent damage in hu without being game changing.
By stacking abilities that increase lift, you can still make a great heavy lifter but not have to worry about a pc with a SnPs:400 which would deal 2D4×10+385 sdc damage!!
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

say652 wrote:Yes. Stone ox uses ppe though??

Nope its a constantly active thing

say652 wrote:Unless a mystically bestowed Abilities hero, I personally dont allow magic n super powers to blend. There is a few instances where you can have Super Powers and psionics.

The official examples include the Immortal and the Imbued classes as mixing super powers and magic. (or more of super powers as magic)

say652 wrote:In heroes unlimited, Supernatural strength is one of the bigboy powers until around level:10 when energy expulsion powers deal similiar damage at range.

Most (not all but most) Major powers tend to be......well major. I don't considerer raw DPS to be a good (or even legitimate) way to figure out the relative power or 'value' of abilities.

say652 wrote:For most of my characters I try to keep it around SnPs:40 decent damage in hu without being game changing.
By stacking abilities that increase lift, you can still make a great heavy lifter but not have to worry about a pc with a SnPs:400 which would deal 2D4×10+385 sdc damage!!

Oh I agree that super levels of strength can get out of hand. Though in some cases you sort of need it (Kaiju class giants come to mind for instance) This is one of the reasons that one of my house rules is often that 'max lift is a special effect' (or more exactly that I will work on variances with a player. Thus allowing the super lifter with out needing to make their stat game breaking)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

The Blackvault megapower
Godlike hitpoints.
1D6×1000 hitpoints plus 1D6×100 per level.
Then as an Immortal Godling when in mdc realms. Hitpoints plus sdc times TWO is his mdc.
I prefer staying power to damage output for my heroes.
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

As I have now done with 95.99999999% of rifts I will simply home rule this I guess. Thank you all for your input / knowledge. Several people have rolled up physical powerhouses and I was looking for an upper limit ish of which I could GM them from you guys helped quite a bit an again thank you all.

I am going to do this the easy way. As per Mack an any doubling of the strength effect will double the base line physical strength stat. Then simply add it all up at the end as per the following..

Snps 50 ps doubled once (50 goes to +50 more)
Snps is now 100
Snaps doubled again (50 goes to 100) now it sits at snps 200.
Snps doubled on mo agin (50 goes to 100) now Snps is sitting at 300

Rather then first double goes to 100 second double goes to 200 third double goes to 400.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

say652 wrote:Supernatural strength in heroes unlimited is lift ps times 500lbs.

Not sure the 50% would apply to lifting capacity...

If we go that route then may as well apply it to strike/parry/dodge bonuses from PP too =/
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Tor wrote:
say652 wrote:Supernatural strength in heroes unlimited is lift ps times 500lbs.

Not sure the 50% would apply to lifting capacity...

If we go that route then may as well apply it to strike/parry/dodge bonuses from PP too =/

I can see it applying to the Lifting / carry capacity , but not the strike / parry / dodge capabilities, as those are increased via "stats" an certain "skills"
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

House ruled.
Damage and attack bonuses from powers do not get the increase.
But as stated earlier most apply the 50% increase across the board.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Lenwen wrote:ok so let me see if I am following you guys correctly. (if I am not, please help me out ha ha)

Mega Hero Strength : 60 x 100 (lifting capability) = 6,000 lb.. (3 tons)

Stone Ox (Rifts Japan) = X 50 . (6,000 x 50) = 300,000 lb. (150 tones)

Gravity manipulation = x 15 (300,000 lb. x 15) 4,500,000 lb.. (2,250 tones)

Brick Tricks = +75% = 7,875,000 lb.. (3,937.5 Tones)

Is this how it would work and is the math correct ? (SNPS of 60, of a Mega hero)

To my understanding.....
The benefits from any BHE need to have been gained before the char's PS has been turned into SNPS. As in the char having Stone Ox and then having something that turns their PS into SNPS.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Armorlord
Hero

Unread post by Armorlord »

I recall once having a write up for a full size Zentradi under the original rules, trained as a monk with Stone Ox, and some other power that meant he ate about as much as a micronized person, and the math working out such that he could lift spacecraft.
Haven't seen that one in years, but the chief difference I recall was that old rules Zentradi were just huge SDC beings with piles of strength.
Talking to you is sort of the conversational equivalent of an out-of-body experience. -Susie (Calvin and Hobbes)
It's not impossible, it's just really unfair. :( -Trance Gemini (Andromeda)
Tarnow and Romanov: Neighbors!

Politeness is not a shield, and criticism is not a sword to swing repeatedly.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Stone Ox is mystic martial art abilty and should not be by rules be taken by a charter with super powers. In addition I seam to recall PB putting out that it is a typo. It does not multiply your carry weight by 50 times but changes it to 50 times your PS. If you are going to go with stone Ox then it would most likely be able to be done by a sleeping immortal using the martial art chi art to turn chi into physical stats. (It can also be done by a immortal martial artist that has centuries mastering every known fighting style.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

Where is the write up for Brick Tricks? Or am I just blind and not seeing it in my HU books?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

wyrmraker wrote:Where is the write up for Brick Tricks? Or am I just blind and not seeing it in my HU books?

Seconds the request for the location of said "Brick Tricks". (book/page/paragraph)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
wyrmraker wrote:Where is the write up for Brick Tricks? Or am I just blind and not seeing it in my HU books?

Seconds the request for the location of said "Brick Tricks". (book/page/paragraph)

Its a Blackvault wiki power which is why its not in a book

wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

eliakon wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Its a Blackvault wiki power which is why its not in a book

That explains why I'm not finding it. Thanks.

Return to “Rifts®”