Dispel Magic Barriers

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

rc_brooks
Explorer

Dispel Magic Barriers

Unread post by rc_brooks »

If a character has multiple carpets of adhesion cast on them, will a single Dispel Magic Barrier dispel all active "barriers" or just one of them according to "da rulez".
Blue_Lion
Knight

Re: Dispel Magic Barriers

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Is it a barrier? I thought it was a hold not a barrier.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Blue_Lion wrote:Is it a barrier? I thought it was a hold not a barrier.

Dispell Magic Barriers specifically says it dispells a carpet of adhesion.

however, to answer the question: No, it's a single-target spell, and can only dispell one at a time.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Negate Magic would have a chance of getting them all.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Can you even stack Carpet of Adhesion?
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

SpiritInterface wrote:Negate Magic would have a chance of getting them all.

Based on what? Nothing in the spell indicates it effects more than one spell at a time.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:Is it a barrier? I thought it was a hold not a barrier.

Dispel Magic Barriers specifically says it dispels a carpet of adhesion.

however, to answer the question: No, it's a single-target spell, and can only dispel one at a time.

NS has the right of it.
--------------------
DMB might work as an area effect spell on multiple magic barriers depending on how the GM reads the text. The spell text is split into two types of outlook. The 1st part of the spell text talks about single spells and the 2nd there is debatable text that might be read that it is able to be used vs a variety of barrier spells or that is works on any of those barrier spells in the target area.

I fall in the reading the text to mean it is able to be used vs a variety of barrier spells. Having some poor word choices. And I have the same reading with the Negate Magic spell.

You would need to have the char research a spell via the spell creation and modification rules (ether from Through the Glass Darkly book or the Mysteries of Magic Book One) to make a spell that has an area effect of negation. Course the resulting spell would not be canon. Which can be a problem with a % of GMs. But if you are the GM then.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Rifts®”