Exciting News! New Edition!

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Riftmaker
Adventurer

Re: Exciting News! New Edition!

Unread post by Riftmaker »

I'm interested in how this works out. I emailed them and they told me it should be around xmas. Also they normaly give pdfs to people that but their books.
dartnet
D-Bee

Unread post by dartnet »

I know the author (Sean) and the lead designer (Ross). There both big Rifts fans and I am sure there going to give it the love and respect it deserves. On top of that all us old players from the 1990s have a reason to come back and enjoy a world we have been too long away from. Everybody wins this way.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

This is really interesting to me, I wonder how they'll handle SDC vs MDC, the 4 or so different levels of physical strength, different power pools for different power types and all that...

or if they'll just discard all of those ideas and go with "Here's the savage worlds system, and here's some information on Rifts Earth. Have fun fighting the CS."
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Alrik Vas wrote:This is really interesting to me, I wonder how they'll handle SDC vs MDC, the 4 or so different levels of physical strength, different power pools for different power types and all that...

or if they'll just discard all of those ideas and go with "Here's the savage worlds system, and here's some information on Rifts Earth. Have fun fighting the CS."

prolly SDC and MDC will be in terms of penetration rather than damage. SD can hurt SDC. MD can hurt SDC and MDC.

Strength is easy. Strength is strength. One chart. SN and Robots simply have higher values.

But I speculate. My rulebook still hasnt come in so I have no idea.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Gordon
D-Bee
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of anyone.

Including myself.

Unread post by Gordon »

Kagashi wrote:prolly SDC and MDC will be in terms of penetration rather than damage. SD can hurt SDC. MD can hurt SDC and MDC.

Yep. Savage Worlds already has the concept of "Heavy Armor" and "Heavy Weapons" in the main rule book. Standard weapons can't touch heavy armor (ever), but heavy weapons can hit both but don't have any extra benefits against non-heavy armor.

Kagashi wrote:Strength is easy. Strength is strength. One chart. SN and Robots simply have higher values.

Yep Savage Worlds Main Rule Book handles Strength to semi-truck pulling power. The Super Powers Companion has a much more epic scale of strength (which makes sense)

Kagashi wrote:But I speculate. My rulebook still hasnt come in so I have no idea.

It's not the best read from cover to cover. The best thing to do is jump right in and 'figuring it out.'
My best suggestion is: Don't houserule ANYTHING until you've got a solid feel for the game.
Last edited by Gordon on Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

at higher levels (say, around 20+) the main difference between strength categories is damage and what they can hurt.

neither of those inherently need to be represented with different types of strength. you just give things higher damage, and let them hurt things that are vulnerable to damage as appropriate.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I saw some suggestions on using the extant idea of "Heavy Weapons" in SW to represent MD/SD, but I tend to agree... it isn't really needed to convey a lot of Rifts.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
oni no won
Explorer

Unread post by oni no won »

I've had some xp with Savage Worlds and IMO, it is an OK system. I initially bought it because I really enjoyed the Rippers miniature game and wanted to roleplay in that setting.

It is my go to generic system but in my own personal attempt at a RIFTS conversion, I gave up trying for a straight conversion. I did not think I could do it justice with trying to convert the feel of it also. Just so you know where I'm coming from, I am a huge classic Deadlands fan and the conversion to its new home felt pretty bland to me. Savage World's reliance on effect based mechanic and the oversimplification were a major cause of it.

Going back to RIFTS, I see a couple of hurdles. One is that Savage Worlds is a passive defense system whereas RIFTS is active. I suspect the HtH combat will be a casualty. The other is that IMHO, it is weak in the martial arts genre. I'm afraid, the conversion will give me flashbacks of what I felt with Deadlands.

Having said all that, Savage Worlds has surprised me. I thought it could not due Supers genre well but Necessary Evil proved that it could be done. Now there are genre workbook supplements to assist GMs to do better conversions.

I wish PEG luck! Despite my trepidation, I'll probably pick this up when it becomes available.

Return to “Rifts®”