Merctown's Red Terrors

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SolCannibal
Champion

Merctown's Red Terrors

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Well, based on what the book says they are a motley crew of stranded super-heroes, cyber-knights and other do-gooders playing urban vigilante for the sake of the city's disenfranchised poor. And yet the first commentary we get on them is from their description as "This group, however, is more of a cult than a professional mercenary company. Its membership is made up primarily of D-Bees. These unruly creatures are fanatics who profess to worship an alien war god,and, in the name of this god, they accept contracts at prices far below market value, seemingly simply for the joy of combat." in Major Brock's threat assessment.

Ok, i actually have no problem at all with the CS spies utterly missing their point due to a mix of prejudices and possibly getting most of their info through the gangs themselves - but where does the "worship an alien war god" comes from?! Really, i make no flippin' idea whatsoever... :?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Merctown's Red Terrors

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

SolCannibal wrote:Well, based on what the book says they are a motley crew of stranded super-heroes, cyber-knights and other do-gooders playing urban vigilante for the sake of the city's disenfranchised poor. And yet the first commentary we get on them is from their description as "This group, however, is more of a cult than a professional mercenary company. Its membership is made up primarily of D-Bees. These unruly creatures are fanatics who profess to worship an alien war god,and, in the name of this god, they accept contracts at prices far below market value, seemingly simply for the joy of combat." in Major Brock's threat assessment.

Ok, i actually have no problem at all with the CS spies utterly missing their point due to a mix of prejudices and possibly getting most of their info through the gangs themselves - but where does the "worship an alien war god" comes from?! Really, i make no flippin' idea whatsoever... :?

Umm because the red terrors are not only funded by a religious organization, they use it's holy church as a combination headquarters, rec room and field hospital for wounded members., it's right there in page 109. Redemption Hall is a church that is the formal front for Red Terror. If you are funded by a church, spend most of your time inside the church hall, and are generally supported by the worshipers...

if it looks like a cult, acts like a cult, and quacks like a cult...the CS Spy just horribly misinterpted their religion like xenophobic people have for years. We're just lucky he didn't make up them secretly doing human sacrafises :D
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
SolCannibal
Champion

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:Well, based on what the book says they are a motley crew of stranded super-heroes, cyber-knights and other do-gooders playing urban vigilante for the sake of the city's disenfranchised poor. And yet the first commentary we get on them is from their description as "This group, however, is more of a cult than a professional mercenary company. Its membership is made up primarily of D-Bees. These unruly creatures are fanatics who profess to worship an alien war god,and, in the name of this god, they accept contracts at prices far below market value, seemingly simply for the joy of combat." in Major Brock's threat assessment.

Umm because the red terrors are not only funded by a religious organization, they use it's holy church as a combination headquarters, rec room and field hospital for wounded members., it's right there in page 109. Redemption Hall is a church that is the formal front for Red Terror. If you are funded by a church, spend most of your time inside the church hall, and are generally supported by the worshipers...

if it looks like a cult, acts like a cult, and quacks like a cult...the CS Spy just horribly misinterpted their religion like xenophobic people have for years. We're just lucky he didn't make up them secretly doing human sacrafises :D

Somehow i got the "civic center" part more than "church" i guess. For some reason i had the impression the group had other hideouts too, what probably contributed to my missing it.

All of that said, yes, it actually makes loads of sense that the CS spy team would be the ones to manage to track them down to their main hideout - and at the same time miscounstrue, everything they see and them some, though i kind of expected them to a bit more precise and less pamphletary when it comes to intel reports. Well, that kind of imprecision and exageration can actually be a good plot device tool for a GM.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

To be fair, members of the CS that report things fair and accurately particularly too often tend to get 'reeducated' because they're clearly showing signs of 'contamination' if what they're reporting on contradicts what the CS's propaganda is on something.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Nightmask wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

To be fair, members of the CS that report things fair and accurately particularly too often tend to get 'reeducated' because they're clearly showing signs of 'contamination' if what they're reporting on contradicts what the CS's propaganda is on something.

Now Now, Re-education is such a dirty word. the CS calles it reorientation :D
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
SolCannibal
Champion

Nightmask wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

Not doing propaganda doesn't mean you don't believe the propaganda - but as all things it has a place and time. But yeah, a tendency to paranoia on matters of loyalty and other stuff is quite common fare for the CS i guess.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Any possibility of this being tied to Lopnel 'The Red God' ? I think a magic item in tombs of Gersidi was named after this guy.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
SolCannibal
Champion

Tor wrote:Any possibility of this being tied to Lopnel 'The Red God' ? I think a magic item in tombs of Gersidi was named after this guy.

Only in the CS intelligence minds, maybe. From what i have seen in Merctown the Red Terrors hideout is a pretty mundane - and most probably christian - church.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Tor wrote:Any possibility of this being tied to Lopnel 'The Red God' ? I think a magic item in tombs of Gersidi was named after this guy.

No, they're pretty obviously christian lead by a preacher, almost certainly the "fire and brimstone" type found in New West.

boxee
Hero

Unread post by boxee »

Hum I would think the CS spies would be more facts less make things up?
SolCannibal
Champion

Nekira Sudacne wrote:

No, they're pretty obviously christian lead by a preacher, almost certainly the "fire and brimstone" type found in New West.

One of the things that made the whole "alien war god cult society" so head-scratchingly weird to me. I would expect them to value precision over propaganda in an intelligence report, at least...
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

SolCannibal wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

One of the things that made the whole "alien war god cult society" so head-scratchingly weird to me. I would expect them to value precision over propaganda in an intelligence report, at least...

The problem with brainwashing 99% of your population, your spys are as biased as anyone else.

SolCannibal
Champion

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:

The problem with brainwashing 99% of your population, your spys are as biased as anyone else.

And start to skew the priorities based on that - yes, all too true.

Return to “Rifts®”