Madhaven

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

Madhaven

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

Okay, so I just picked this book up after years of having it. I read it when it first came out but haven't really looked at it since. A couple of things: I remember there was a break up of races that were Mystic Knights of the White Rose but can't seem to find it now. Also, they are impervious to energy, but what about their armor? While it's worn does energy not bother it? I ask because, they can ride the warbird with out it's energy field bothering them, but I just can't see them riding one naked. It also states they can draw twice as much PPE from Ley Lines as spellcasters, so does that mean Ley Line Walkers, making it 40 on lines and 80 on nexus points? What about the curtain? It states 10 PPE are available but can they still draw more from it?

Seriously, thanks for the answers you have been giving, I just hope I'm not annoying all y'all with the amount of questions I've been posting. I recently dug out my RPG books from storage and am reading them again. I am going to join a Skype game and need to become acquainted with the rules again.
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Madhaven

Unread post by eliakon »

HarleeKnight wrote:Okay, so I just picked this book up after years of having it. I read it when it first came out but haven't really looked at it since. A couple of things: I remember there was a break up of races that were Mystic Knights of the White Rose but can't seem to find it now. Also, they are impervious to energy, but what about their armor? While it's worn does energy not bother it? I ask because, they can ride the warbird with out it's energy field bothering them, but I just can't see them riding one naked. It also states they can draw twice as much PPE from Ley Lines as spellcasters, so does that mean Ley Line Walkers, making it 40 on lines and 80 on nexus points? What about the curtain? It states 10 PPE are available but can they still draw more from it?

Seriously, thanks for the answers you have been giving, I just hope I'm not annoying all y'all with the amount of questions I've been posting. I recently dug out my RPG books from storage and am reading them again. I am going to join a Skype game and need to become acquainted with the rules again.

1) The question of if it protects their gear is.....hotly contested. I personally am in the 'no' camp (but make an exception for the bird, just so they can ride it)

2) They would draw PPE as a regular spell caster (so they draw at the same level as a Ley Line caster.) Normal mages get 10/20 so they get 20/40. For them to draw twice the level of the boosted levels that a Ley Line class gets, it would have to say that specifically

3) It says 10 is available, so only 10 is available. (in my opinion.) Since it doesn't say 'normal ley line levels' it just says a flat 10.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
HarleeKnight
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: For the White Rose!!!

Unread post by HarleeKnight »

Okay, I just heard from the author of the book, Brandon Aten, and he says the immunity to energy protects their armor too. So, that's cool.
There are two kinds of people in this world... 1: Those who can extrapolate from incomplete data
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

HarleeKnight wrote:they are impervious to energy, but what about their armor? While it's worn does energy not bother it?

Unless an ability or spell explicitly says it affects clothing or equipment or other things to imply armor, there is no reason for us to treat it that way.

The spell Impervious to Energy doesn't protect armor either, a huge benefit that is present in Impervious to Fire. This is why it is valuable to build ItE into armor via TW since then it will affect the armor.

It's also worth pointing out that the Mystic Knight's ItE is not as strong as the spell. They still take 1/2 damage from magical energy attacks, while someone protected by the ItE is impervious to magical energy attacks entirely.

HarleeKnight wrote:I ask because, they can ride the warbird with out it's energy field bothering them, but I just can't see them riding one naked.

I can, aside from rail guns you won't find many non-energy weapons with enough range to hit a target like this if they keep a wise distance.

If they want to avoid the energy field issues while wearing armor then best enchant the armor via TW.

HarleeKnight wrote:It also states they can draw twice as much PPE from Ley Lines as spellcasters, so does that mean Ley Line Walkers, making it 40 on lines and 80 on nexus points? What about the curtain? It states 10 PPE are available but can they still draw more from it?

The Mystic Knight OCC abilities were published prior to RUE when LLWs got the boosted PPE pull, so I would say double that of a normal spellcaster and equal to that of LLWs.

If someone is able to dual class as a LLW and a Mystic Knight then they might be able to double their LLW pull in that case.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

HarleeKnight wrote:Okay, I just heard from the author of the book, Brandon Aten, and he says the immunity to energy protects their armor too. So, that's cool.

That would be a solid support for a GM to decide that the protection protects their armor then.
(It would still be a house rule unless and until such time as this gets canonized in print someplace, but at least we know what the intent was....though not if said intent would have made it through the editing and vetting process)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

eliakon wrote:
HarleeKnight wrote:Okay, I just heard from the author of the book, Brandon Aten, and he says the immunity to energy protects their armor too. So, that's cool.

That would be a solid support for a GM to decide that the protection protects their armor then.
(It would still be a house rule unless and until such time as this gets canonized in print someplace, but at least we know what the intent was....though not if said intent would have made it through the editing and vetting process)

Does it ever clearly say one way or another if it does? I do not recall ever seeing the books make such a statement(people can rules lawyer it any way but does it ever say it if it applies or does not). IN the example above of some one saying that unless it says it does protect it I point at the spell armor of ithan. The spell says it creates a magical suit of amor on the target not the targets clothes or other armor so by his logic applied the same way any mage protected by such as spell from a MDC attack would wind up not protecting his body armor. However most GMs rule it is protecting the mages normal armor as well as him.

Take a step back and looking at what the spell says energy attacks do no damage so looking at the step of combat that the damage against the person is normally applied to armor first but we have an affect that says it is all reduced to 0. As you target a person not the armor it can be ruled that it does protect the armor as that is where the damage is applied against them.

In other words without a direct statement saying it does or does not then any ruling is a house rule not an official rule. (To me it seams to be intended to work like a broad spectrum of impervious to fire, and I see no reason to rule that it does not work the same way. But then that would be as much a house rule as some one saying it does not.)
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Blue_Lion wrote:
eliakon wrote:

Does it ever clearly say one way or another if it does? I do not recall ever seeing the books make such a statement(people can rules lawyer it any way but does it ever say it if it applies or does not). IN the example above of some one saying that unless it says it does protect it I point at the spell armor of ithan. The spell says it creates a magical suit of amor on the target not the targets clothes or other armor so by his logic applied the same way any mage protected by such as spell from a MDC attack would wind up not protecting his body armor. However most GMs rule it is protecting the mages normal armor as well as him.

Take a step back and looking at what the spell says energy attacks do no damage so looking at the step of combat that the damage against the person is normally applied to armor first but we have an affect that says it is all reduced to 0. As you target a person not the armor it can be ruled that it does protect the armor as that is where the damage is applied against them.

In other words without a direct statement saying it does or does not then any ruling is a house rule not an official rule. (To me it seams to be intended to work like a broad spectrum of impervious to fire, and I see no reason to rule that it does not work the same way. But then that would be as much a house rule as some one saying it does not.)

Which is why I said in my first post that the topic was hotly debated :mrgreen: Its a facet of the game that is going to have to have the GM making a call that works for their game. Rule Zero time.

Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Was more directed at Tors statement. but just quoted one of the last ones. He claim was that it had to be X when both sides have a valid stance.
Truth is there is no cannon ruling making it all GM calls.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.

Return to “Rifts®”