Atlantean capabilities.. (not its military)

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lenwen

Atlantean capabilities.. (not its military)

Unread post by Lenwen »

In your guys games. Does Lord splynn have the capability to grant super powers of any variation (or those not listed) in any palladium book ?

If yes, can you support your reasoning ?

If no, can you support your denial reasoning?
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Atlantean capabilities.. (not its military)

Unread post by Bill »

While not Heroes Unlimited style super-powers, biowizard transmutation (WB2, p107) can grant a wide range of superhuman abilities to a characters. If a player were to request that their character be granted a power through transmutation that isn't represented in the book, I would be inclined to say yes; though I would have to weigh it carefully against existing options and possible impact on the rest of my campaign. For example, if the player were requesting super-speed, I would probably point them toward the Spine Twister instead. On the other hand, say the player wanted something equivalent to HU's Chameleon power. It hasn't already got a biowizard equivalent, so I'd have to decide whether the biowizard transmutation would allow the character's clothes to change and if there are any other caveats I'd add to the power. Perhaps it's derived from a parasite. I'd otherwise have no objection.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Yes. If nothing else, magic tattoos (and T-man transformation) and biowizard symbiotes are effectively superpowers. Even assuming a bare 7 tattoos, you've made a person with +42 PPE and 70-77MDC. Even with only a single power tattoo, and 6 simple weapons, this person is running around wearing the equivalent of body armor and able to conjure forth some sort of superpower at least once per day.

They may be more Hourman than Superman, but they're still superpowered.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
Carl Gleba
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

I'm with Mark on this one. Also to add if I had a player who really wanted it I would say you could probably use the biowizard chambers. I created a variation of this in Dyval. Can't recall the deevil lord that has this, but the Splugorth are a power on par with deevil and demon lords.
ImageImage
The Galactus Kid
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

Carl Gleba wrote:I'm with Mark on this one. Also to add if I had a player who really wanted it I would say you could probably use the biowizard chambers. I created a variation of this in Dyval. Can't recall the deevil lord that has this, but the Splugorth are a power on par with deevil and demon lords.

I'm with Gleba on anything dealing with Atlanteans.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Shadow Wyrm
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Shadow Wyrm »

Yes. The ability to grant superpowers would be seen as a commodity like every other power or ability to come from living creatures. I use a couple of way's of granting superpowers from the Splugorth. First is the good old bio-wizard symbiote, something nice a debilitating. Second, the rune weapon. Third, the magic ritual, kept for loyal minions, because there are no side effects.
Jorick
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jorick »

I think the Splugorth techs are fairly well outlined. As mentioned above, basically bio-wizardy and tattoos. The alien intelligence itself is not capable of granting powers straight up through force of will (aside from bonuses/abilities one might find in Shifters and Witches). They learn techniques and apply them. So, if the question is can a Splugorth simply grant powers willy nilly, then no.

However, one could easily imagine that the Dimensional Market of Splynn has individuals like Gene-tech, or some ancient powerful person who knows a lot about genetic manipulation, and is willing to provide "powers" for a price. So if the question is "can a character go to Splynn and get some cool powers (powers in the HU sense)" then yes. Why not?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

If you need a source of superpowers for an Atlantean flavor super being. Its right there in the HU book. The Experiment Class.
Presto its a Bio-Wizard experiment. Done.

There is plenty of precedent in the books for repeatable experiments granting a consistent set or related set of powers with a consistent set of side effects. Which is the sort of thing that the Splugorth like to collect....
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “Rifts®”