Need a New OCC

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Need a New OCC

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

looking for suggestions for a human, major psionic character who is an anarchist at heart. already capped out paratrooper and he's not going back into samurai.

I'm toying with gunslinger, but there might be something better.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
flatline
Knight

Re: Need a New OCC

Unread post by flatline »

Alrik Vas wrote:looking for suggestions for a human, major psionic character who is an anarchist at heart. already capped out paratrooper and he's not going back into samurai.

I'm toying with gunslinger, but there might be something better.

What kind of campaign?

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

everything, kinda...very rifts that way.

dealt with demon incursions, war profiteering, spies, fought off slavers. things are about to take a dark turn, though. horror and hell beasts, all that sort.

but a better explanation might be that the game is solvable by investigation and social interaction as much as by fighting.

the character has good social stats and a decent selection of investigative skills.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
flatline
Knight

Non-master psychic human classes that I like for non-combat focused campaigns:

Temporal Wizard (duh!)
Temporal Warrior
Wilderness Scout
Rogue Scientist
Galactic Tracer (Phase World)

and just about anything from Mercenaries.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Alrik Vas
Knight

learning magic doesn't appeal to the player. though this character becoming a temporal wizard would be appropriately silly.

right now seems to be a toss up between continuing combat training and becoming a gunfighter, or going the skill route and training as an operator.

new class abilities seem to be appealing since they're capped out in most skills and weapon proficiencies.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

What I'm thinking is that you need a char class like the Veteran Grunt from N&S, sans the Martial Arts Form.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Alrik Vas
Knight

what's the advantage of that unless you get the martial arts? already a special ops type. not bagging on it, just curious what your line of thinking was.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unless the char is going through a major life change then the char really should not be going through a class change.

Going from one fighter class to another.....*shrugs* that really can be just done with the GM mod'ing the current class if the change is not going to be great.

MAFs....you got 7 or 8 years in game to learn one?*sardonic*

I might of been mis speaking....should of said that what the char sounded like was a vet. grunt sans the MAF.
But is also sounds like the player is bored, and needs to get out of his rut. *shrugs*

suggestion: find some MOS skill packages and have the player look them over to see if that will fill out the char like he wants.
(the new robotech books have a lot of MOSs)
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
flatline
Knight

Except in Fantasy where we held on to our characters forever, we generally retired characters and started with new characters rather than change OCCs.

--flatline

Alrik Vas
Knight

player is way into the character itself, he just wants done new class toys. maybe I'll just make adjustments.

oh, and Drew, if the character has lots of previous experience, I cut the training time down quite a bit. if you know kempo, it wouldn't take you years to learn wing chun, for example.

mastering it is different, but that's reflected in the level bonuses.

Secondhand Smoke
Explorer
Comment: Dear life, when i said "can my life get any worse" it was a rhetorical question not a challenge

Unread post by Secondhand Smoke »

Superspy?

Headhunter?

Mystic knight :P
Insert philosophical quote here
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Alrik Vas wrote:player is way into the character itself, he just wants done new class toys. maybe I'll just make adjustments.

oh, and Drew, if the character has lots of previous experience, I cut the training time down quite a bit. if you know kempo, it wouldn't take you years to learn wing chun, for example.

mastering it is different, but that's reflected in the level bonuses.

Other Char mods might be superpowers or (GM made) magic marks that come with curses/downsides.

Shortening the training time of a MAF from knowing other MAF works with what is in N&S.
Cutting the years of training time in about half.

But since Rifts chars do not have access to MAFs, only h2hs, perhaps the MAF part of the VG variant of the N&S merc class could be replaced with a h2h from Rjapan or that other asian rifts books. To actually follow that nearly all MAF were lost in the coming off the rifts as the RCB1/r says about them, and to follow the spirit of that class.
Satan Lord of Hell
D-Bee

Unread post by Satan Lord of Hell »

Have him get bitten by a werewolf and that can be his new class.
Metaphysics in Rifts: Hell is just a place; Satan is just a dude (he has big muscles).
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Alrik Vas wrote:player is way into the character itself, he just wants done new class toys. maybe I'll just make adjustments.

Options that come to mind:
Full Conversion Borg. Either voluntary or involuntary.

Experimented upon:
-Transfered Intelligence Robot (SB1/1r and WB5) type. Similar to FCB, but class toys are much easier to give and taken away. It doesn't have to be Triax/NGR, but some other faction on the down low.
-Bio-Wizard (has he pissed off Atlantis?), he'll get new toys abilities and doesn't necessarily have to switch OCCs. Depending on the extent, he doesn't have to become a Bio-Borg.
-Gene Splicer (SB3/PW)/Gen Tech (PW, DB#?) "modification" (alternatively Invid Experimentation from RT if you want the cross over)
-Mind Werks (SB3), maybe
-some other magical experiment (Dark Hounds ex, or Lord of the Deep creations is another to show that such things do happen, and Ley Line mutations)

All can have great RP potential as the character adapts, though you might want to clear it with the player first.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Satan Lord of Hell wrote:Have him get bitten by a werewolf and that can be his new class.

How?
Most Were-beings are races, not beings cursed with (infectious) lycanthropy. So changing to a were-being RCC is not in the cards.

What would you call this new class that encompasses just those cursed with lycanthropy.
Morik
Explorer

Unread post by Morik »

Go with Momano Headhunter or Reaver Assassin Psychic.
Satan Lord of Hell
D-Bee

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:How?
Most Were-beings are races, not beings cursed with (infectious) lycanthropy. So changing to a were-being RCC is not in the cards.

What would you call this new class that encompasses just those cursed with lycanthropy.

Daaawwwwww... you're right - though the conversion book implies that werewolves are the selfsame creatures of legend, it doesn't say anything about an infectious bite creating the creature.

When I GM, I would keep it as a magical curse/bite.
Metaphysics in Rifts: Hell is just a place; Satan is just a dude (he has big muscles).
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

There are a few types of were beings.
Races (Rifts, PF, & rifter [children of the moon]), Lupin-like Demons (BTS1), & those cursed with lycanthropy (Rifter [this text is associated w/the CotM article]).

A fourth type is the super power lycanthropy.

It might be that any of them might be 'carriers' of the lycanthropic curse, with out being effected by it.....if the GM deems it so.
Alrik Vas
Knight

werewolf, vampire...these things make a character into something new, much like becoming an Apok or Cosmo-knight.

gotta be something out there that is basically a new specialty with some class abilities. the MOS idea doesn't sound bad, I might be able to talk them into that.

Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Turn him into a Cold Blooded?

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

take the priest of light from conversion book 1 and change it to priest of the all mighty GMist
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Alrik Vas
Knight

Daniel Stoker wrote:Turn him into a Cold Blooded?

Daniel Stoker

I got another player barking at me over that one. :P

Blue_Lion
Knight

oh better yet create a table of all the classes listed in the gmg and roll for it.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Godling
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Alrik Vas
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:Godling

been thinking about that too, but not out loud, don't want to get the guy's hopes up.

Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

So the character is an Xth level Samurai and a 15th level Paratrooper already? And you are looking for a third OCC? Retire. You beat Rifts.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Alrik Vas
Knight

Kagashi wrote:So the character is an Xth level Samurai and a 15th level Paratrooper already? And you are looking for a third OCC? Retire. You beat Rifts.

dude, you can't beat rifts. there's too much. everything cab kill you, and kill you bad. its a never ending challenge.

Satan Lord of Hell
D-Bee

Kill him and then make him a Highlander...

(... style immortal).

J/K, Tundra Ranger
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Mystic

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Blue_Lion
Knight

I know make him that OCC from 9 1/2 the tourist.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Blue_Lion wrote:I know make him that OCC from 9 1/2 the tourist.

Good call.

Blue_Lion
Knight

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:I know make him that OCC from 9 1/2 the tourist.

Good call.

Wow I got a good call from KC the world must be coming to a end. Because I never get that from any one.

Alrik Vas
Knight

i'm not familiar with this 9 1/2 the Tourist thing.

Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Rifter 9 1/2 was an april fool issue
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Blue_Lion
Knight

basically they can be uber powerful beings that are on rifts earth getting in the mix of things just for something to do. One of them was a AI.

You have already reached a point higher than some of the gods so at this point picking another class is just trivial.

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Alrik Vas wrote:i'm not familiar with this 9 1/2 the Tourist thing.

They're a joke OCC, but a usable one IIRC.
They're pretty much indestructible, but they're prone to getting lost, and/or have certain attributes that make them annoying and sometimes ineffective.
I don't remember the details, just that I rolled one up one time that was modeled after Ryoga from Ranma 1/2, and I did play with him a few times.
It doesn't sound like it'd be unbalancing to the campaign/adventures at hand.

Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Wow, a Ranma reference. Good application for the tourist.

I guess he would have WP Umbrella? Metamorphisis: Pig?
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Kagashi wrote:Wow, a Ranma reference. Good application for the tourist.

I guess he would have WP Umbrella? Metamorphisis: Pig?

I forget the details, but yeah, that was the idea. :D

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The Tourist class is a bystander/NPC class. They do not participate in combat and solving problems. This is because they are 'On Vacation'.
Then there are things like all damage done to then is always the minimum of a weapon's damage range. (iow...as if every die rolled a 1.) And the travel tickets that teleport the Tourist places and home.
Alrik Vas
Knight

there's an NPC Chiang-ku dragon in the campaign who always appears as an annoyed young man in a business suit named Stan the Nihilist. he pretty much fits the description.

and levels in rifts don't mean as much unless you're a mage or.something. people with tech combat skills are powered based in gear pretty much. X level this and that is irrelevant, just looking for a few new tricks.

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Alrik Vas wrote:there's an NPC Chiang-ku dragon in the campaign who always appears as an annoyed young man in a business suit named Stan the Nihilist. he pretty much fits the description.

and levels in rifts don't mean as much unless you're a mage or.something. people with tech combat skills are powered based in gear pretty much. X level this and that is irrelevant, just looking for a few new tricks.

Level is still pretty important for tech people. Its just not AS important. But a huge number of important things are level based (besides skill percentages, there is the level of your WP, your H2H level, and the level of any robot piloting/combat skills)
There is also the (rather important) issue of hit points, and bonuses (like to saves and thing)
Its not the same 'every thing I do is controlled by my level' that a meta will be....but its still there
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Alrik Vas
Knight

oh, sure, and over time it really becomes apparent as well. however, I just don't really take levels as an indication of age or even truly experience, merely how good you've gotten at what you do. don't have to be old to be level 10+, don't have to be young to still be in the minors either.

Jorick
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Jorick »

Alrik Vas wrote:oh, sure, and over time it really becomes apparent as well. however, I just don't really take levels as an indication of age or even truly experience, merely how good you've gotten at what you do. don't have to be old to be level 10+, don't have to be young to still be in the minors either.

I guess it depends on the story and what he's willing to do to his character.

Physical modification/transformation is a big thing in Rifts of course. Aside fro cold-blooded or cyborg mentioned earlier you could go for something like Anti-Monster. But all those changes seem to go way beyond the idea you're just giving him a few more toys.

You could actually give him toys. A rune weapon(s), or something.

You could have him connect to a greater being/god, and get powers/stuff through the relationship.

There's always the Book of Heroes.

The gunslinger idea seems like you're just looking for a few more/different bonuses to give him (though wouldn't he lose the para bonuses if he went gunslinger?). He could be trained as a pro vampire hunter (WB 1 Revised). He could get magic tattoos (you have a chiang ku in the group so maybe he has those already).

UWW Space Marine (with power armor)? Just the training for that will boost his stats nicely, and the PA is sick.
rem1093
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by rem1093 »

How about getting hit by that gas from Skraypers, and become a Biofreak.
Alrik Vas
Knight

Jorick wrote:The gunslinger idea seems like you're just looking for a few more/different bonuses to give him (though wouldn't he lose the para bonuses if he went gunslinger?). He could be trained as a pro vampire hunter (WB 1 Revised). He could get magic tattoos (you have a chiang ku in the group so maybe he has those already).

Yeah, something like tattoos would be cool, I guess that's the sort of thing I'm looking for. Add-ons. It could be horizontal growth instead of vertical. Like, something within the character's power level, just different from what they have.

Game is starting Sunday and I still haven't figured this out haha.

abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

In one of the rifters there are occs that are based upon cooking.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Alrik Vas
Knight

abe wrote:In one of the rifters there are occs that are based upon cooking.

but if he becomes a cook, I'll have to run a game like Under Siege, and I'm just but prepared for that.

say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Rise dead thread RISE!!

Mystically bestowed Abilities.
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

What about one of thee expanded head hunters from canada? i love the robo slammer myself
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Total Black Adam material right here.
Bestowed by Ares or Uller maybe Odin.

Return to “Rifts®”