Ill intent question.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Lenwen

Ill intent question.

Unread post by Lenwen »

Scenario ..

Being with Psionic Invisibility uses it but notices some one in his party gets attacked .. his thoughts (in his mind) instantly go into I will attack to save my party ..

Does this break Psionic Invisibility or not ?
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Re: Ill intent question.

Unread post by Tor »

Depends on how one defines ill... if illness is something organic things suffer, if you exclusively plan to destroy property would it be ill intent?

Or... if the attack to safe friends was to shoot down missiles launched at them?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Hawk258
Adventurer
Comment: Chuckie Sullivan "Applesauce B!%@#"

Unread post by Hawk258 »

I suppose it would depend on what the scenario was. add it, Was your characters "Intent" to actually attack (Knee jerk)?

Given what little I know, IF you were in a situation that a "Good" character would have deemed a GOOD cause, and your team mates were attacked, I would almost say I would Roll a save against your MA to see IF it did break (If you didn't actually go for a weapon or make a change in direction to attack prior) But that is just "MY" opinion. At least it would give you and your gm the chance that "Knee jerk" didn't ruin your invisibility or did. I am a bit more forgiving when it comes to that sort of thing.

Every GM is different. My opinion is mine, Don't expect all GM's to be as forgiving or expect them to always be brutal.

With that said. I might need more info. BUT remember, Heat of the moment decisions and thoughts can play hell with a game. (Don't feed the GM)
When I post an idea, game balance is my only concern. For rules see rule zero and for canon look at RUE PAGE 372. Only 2 questions need consideration is it fun? Is it balanced?

Gamblers fallacy:(Example): Coin flips are the most common example of the gambler's fallacy. For instance, in a game of heads or tails, many people will bet on tails if there have been several heads in a row.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

The Psionic Power description is quite clear "The slightest ill intent or act toward perpetrating violence instantly cancels the psionic influence." (RUE pg181)

So the moment he/she starts thinking about attacking, ie "perpetrating violence", the power instantly cancels itself.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Lenwen wrote:Scenario ..

Being with Psionic Invisibility uses it but notices some one in his party gets attacked .. his thoughts (in his mind) instantly go into I will attack to save my party ..

His intent may be to save the party, but that's pretty ill for whoever he's attacking.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I would say that it does not break until his thoughts cross into actual intentions to do the action.
Thinking "I need to save them" will not do it
Thinking "Okay if I shoot that guy I can save Fritz" is borderline
Thinking "okay I hope I don't miss" as he readies a weapon. will break it.
Like many things in this game its not a hard and fast, black and white, yes or no, issue but an area full of grey borderlines and judgment calls.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Ok thank you guys for your help. I'll be house ruling, that the "thought" process has absolutely ZERO effect on Invisibility dropping or not. I'll house rule it that it takes a harmful action, in an of itself (meaning any *action that can do another being physical harm, even if only 1 sdc point).

Otherwise I believe this spell can be incredibly powerful !!
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

harm
härm/Submit
noun
noun: harm
physical injury, especially that which is deliberately inflicted.
"it's fine as long as no one is inflicting harm on anyone else"
synonyms: injury, hurt, pain, trauma; More
antonyms: benefit
material damage.
"it's unlikely to do much harm to the engine"
actual or potential ill effect or danger.
"I can't see any harm in it"
synonyms: evil, wrong, ill, wickedness, iniquity, sin
"I can't see any harm in it"
antonyms: good
Raze_7
Explorer
Comment: "The best offense is a good defense!" - Somebody unsuccessful.

Unread post by Raze_7 »

Lenwen wrote:Scenario ..

I believe that it has to be a conscious decision, otherwise, invisible psychics would be popping up everywhere, with those random thoughts that people get (or, at least, I hope other people get) that says, "Now, wouldn't it be stupid if I just cancelled my invisibility?"
A player character Old One coould possibly be difficult to get past a GM. -Raze_7

"I've caught murderers with my questions before! Well, only once, but..." -Phoenix Wright

"Holy fire burns a hell of a lot." -Chronicle

"According to this polling data, the most popular Star Trek character after Kirk and Picard are Data." - xkcd

http://xkcd.com/1357/
Lenwen

Unread post by Lenwen »

Thats true.

The reason I say that this is too powerful is using this in a Techno wizard created item, it can basically instill the item with a form of consciousness.. regarding the ability to "detect" thought.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Well, in regards to random thoughts that get you in trouble, psychics aren't idiot savants with unfocused talent...

they're highly disciplined, they spent time working on their power, harnessing their inner strength and all that. Having major psionics used to cost you skills before they changed the rule.

If you're a mind melter, errant thoughts aren't really something that come up unless it's from some kind of power having to do with precognition (6th sense, clairvoyance, etc)...and those aren't without purpose. I tend to think of master psychics as very deliberate people.

However, with psychic invisibility, the intent seems to be that you appear just before you perform the foul act, it doesn't mean you have to be in line of sight when you pop. :bandit:
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Lenwen wrote:Thats true.

The reason I say that this is too powerful is using this in a Techno wizard created item, it can basically instill the item with a form of consciousness.. regarding the ability to "detect" thought.

Well TWdry can bend the rules a bit. For TWdry I'd treat it more like a Star Trek cloaking device (typical) that can't fire while cloaked, so a TWdry form of Invisibility would cut out if a weapon is fired/activated (or other offensive action) that is w/n its sphere of influence rather than the operator/crew thinks, which they couldn't even get a way with using conventional Psi/Magic version.

Though i would point out that Magic Invisibility does have two forms, one of which has similar restrictions like the Psi version, and one that doesn't. Simple allows one to retain combat ability, though you aren't as undetectable as Superior in which you can't attack (though here it seems less restrictive in what constitutes an attack IMHO than the Psi power description).

Return to “Rifts®”