Dinosaur Swamp: The New Atlantis

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

H.P. Hovercraft
Explorer

Dinosaur Swamp: The New Atlantis

Unread post by H.P. Hovercraft »

Pg 72 of WB 26: Dinosaur Swamp says, "To hear the locals talk, more Atlanteans are found in Dinosaur Swamp than anywhere on Earth. A claim most outsiders scoff at - but they'd be wrong."

So, according to the book, DS has more True Atlanteans than anywhere else on Earth?

The city of Manoa has a population of 50,000 Atlanteans within it's borders, so Dinosaur Swamp has at least a population of 50,001!!! :shock:

What does this mean for the future? A resurgence of TA culture in the DS area to act as a buffer zone between the Splugies and humanity? A staging point to gather strength before attempting to oust the Splugorth from their ancestral homeland? What?
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Dinosaur Swamp: The New Atlantis

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Nah. They all just went there for retirement.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

H.P. Hovercraft wrote:Pg 72 of WB 26: Dinosaur Swamp says, "To hear the locals talk, more Atlanteans are found in Dinosaur Swamp than anywhere on Earth. A claim most outsiders scoff at - but they'd be wrong."

So, according to the book, DS has more True Atlanteans than anywhere else on Earth?

The city of Manoa has a population of 50,000 Atlanteans within it's borders, so Dinosaur Swamp has at least a population of 50,001!!! :shock:

What does this mean for the future? A resurgence of TA culture in the DS area to act as a buffer zone between the Splugies and humanity? A staging point to gather strength before attempting to oust the Splugorth from their ancestral homeland? What?

It would be pretty easy to believe they have at least that number. The dinoswamp area covers a pretty huge part of the country and 50 thousand people is one moderate sized city in that whole area or a handful of smaller towns. It makes sense given the proximity to atlantis you would find a fairly sizable atlantean population. I would imagine there is a pretty big contingent of them that want to reclaim their homeland.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Wait, is it talking about True Atlanteans or Splugorth minions?

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

True atlanteans. It talks about them staging there in the dinosaur swamp area. Which makes sense if they are trying to stage enough folks to get a good look at the feasibility of retaking their homeland and or sticking forks in various splugorth eyes.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Hmm... 50,000 True Atlanteans spread across Dino Swamp (NC, SC, GA, and half of FL) works out to 1 person for every 3.5 square miles.

When I started that little math exercise I thought it would be worse than that.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

1 person every 3.5 square miles...makes an easy treat for Mr. Raptor.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Alrik Vas wrote:1 person every 3.5 square miles...makes an easy treat for Mr. Raptor.

Well one must assume most of that population is basing out of one or more likely a handful of settlements. That said undead hunters are probably some of the best equiped to exist and thrive in a place like the dino swamp by themselves or in small groups.
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

Regardless of the fact there is the chance that the writer forgot about the SA mention of 50,000 True Atlanteans living in Manoa. I think it would be kind of cool to have a stone master built city of 35,000 to 65,000 True Atanteans living in the Dino Swamps. Especially if it was Dinotopea style with the use of Dinos in every day things. It could be a surface like version of the Lemura.

I may just do a write up about this type of idea. :)
H.P. Hovercraft
Explorer

FatherMorpheus wrote:Regardless of the fact there is the chance that the writer forgot about the SA mention of 50,000 True Atlanteans living in Manoa. I think it would be kind of cool to have a stone master built city of 35,000 to 65,000 True Atanteans living in the Dino Swamps. Especially if it was Dinotopea style with the use of Dinos in every day things. It could be a surface like version of the Lemura.

I may just do a write up about this type of idea. :)

I had a similar idea, but also (potentially) using the lost (Atlantean) City of the Ancients from Hades as a central base of operations.
Todd Yoho
Adventurer

Unread post by Todd Yoho »

I don't ever remember owning the South America books because I thought they were an uber-cheesy mess, so I certainly didn't reference them for writing DS.

I'd have to go back to my original manuscript to see if I wrote that or if it was an editorial insert, but it reads like my verbiage and intent. DS was intended to be a launching pad for True Atlanteans to make strikes against Splynncryth and set up bases of operation from which to try and take back their homeland ala the UK prior to D-Day.

But that was also, what, over a decade ago when I wrote that, so going by my memory probably isn't the best idea ever! :-)
Insert 400 character limit here.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Well there is a writeup for one such community in Dino. Swamp of TAs. Its very small (a few hundred people) and they are IIRC in the ruins of Atlanta.

Manoa though is only one clan IIRC, so population wise it might be bigger than Dino Swamp, but dino swamp might have a greater diversity of clans being present.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

guys.. "To hear the locals talk" means rumor, gossip, etc. and just because people scoff at rumor when it's actually true doesn't mean the exact rumor is true.
it's basically saying "there are a lot more True Atlanteans there than people are willing to believe"
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

glitterboy2098 wrote:guys.. "To hear the locals talk" means rumor, gossip, etc. and just because people scoff at rumor when it's actually true doesn't mean the exact rumor is true.
it's basically saying "there are a lot more True Atlanteans there than people are willing to believe"

I started to say the same thing, but you have to consider the second sentence: "A claim most outsiders scoff at - but they'd be wrong." (Emphasis added.) There's a canon statement that scoffing at the claim is wrong. Thus is locals are actually right.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

but does that mean the claim is right? or does it just mean that it's wrong to scoff at the rumor? the phrasing is more in favor of the latter interpritation.

and just because it's wrong to scoff at the rumor doesn't mean the rumor is 100% true.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Trooper Jim
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: Huh! What? There was homework???

Unread post by Trooper Jim »

Killer Cyborg wrote:Nah. They all just went there for retirement.

I just shot coffee out of my nose!!!
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

I'd say Mack has the right of it for it being a canonical statement...however...

The population density is greater than that which was quoted...it's MORE than Manoa, not equal to Manoa.

Also, given that the folks hanging in the swamp are unlikely to be those with HTH: Nothing, I'm betting they start around level 4 and go up from there.

Verrrry interesting!
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Subjugator wrote:I'd say Mack has the right of it for it being a canonical statement...however...

The population density is greater than that which was quoted...it's MORE than Manoa, not equal to Manoa.

No, the total population is greater. Over a much larger area.....so the population density should be lower......

After all the entire Dinosaur Swamp has more Atlantians than anyplace else on earth.....so the whole area out does Manoa area. Its not saying its as densely populated as the city of Manoa
Subjugator wrote:Also, given that the folks hanging in the swamp are unlikely to be those with HTH: Nothing, I'm betting they start around level 4 and go up from there.

people with H2H skills can be level 1-3......
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Subjugator

eliakon wrote:
Subjugator wrote:I'd say Mack has the right of it for it being a canonical statement...however...

No, the total population is greater. Over a much larger area.....so the population density should be lower......

I was referring to the population density, and note that I didn't say it would be a higher population density than Manoa. I said it would be a higher population density than that which was quoted. I spoke unclearly with the word 'it' though...for 'it' I mean the number of True Atlanteans (in raw numbers, not density).

Mack wrote:Hmm... 50,000 True Atlanteans spread across Dino Swamp (NC, SC, GA, and half of FL) works out to 1 person for every 3.5 square miles.

So he quoted a population density of 3.5 per square mile based upon a certain number of square miles for NC, SC, GA, and half of FL. Assuming his numbers for the area of each and calculation are accurate, the population density would be higher than whatever his calculation results were, because there are more True Atlanteans in the Dino Swamp than in Manoa, and he based it on a number equal to that of Manoa.

Subjugator wrote:Also, given that the folks hanging in the swamp are unlikely to be those with HTH: Nothing, I'm betting they start around level 4 and go up from there.

people with H2H skills can be level 1-3......[/quote]

Yes. My point was that they're likely to be experienced folks and not non-combatants.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

eliakon wrote:people with H2H skills can be level 1-3......

Yes. My point was that they're likely to be experienced folks and not non-combatants.

/Sub[/quote]
Why? Why would we assume that they have a high percentage of experienced folks and non-combatants? The people of Char live in the swamp, they do not all have H2H skills, high levels and most of them would be non-combatants....ditto in fact with the Atlantian populations where we actually see them.....why should we assume that this particular population is unlike any other population of people on rifts earth?
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Subjugator

eliakon wrote:Why? Why would we assume that they have a high percentage of experienced folks and non-combatants? The people of Char live in the swamp, they do not all have H2H skills, high levels and most of them would be non-combatants....ditto in fact with the Atlantian populations where we actually see them.....why should we assume that this particular population is unlike any other population of people on rifts earth?

People who gather to do war are not likely to be non-combatants.

/Sub

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Subjugator wrote:
eliakon wrote:Why? Why would we assume that they have a high percentage of experienced folks and non-combatants? The people of Char live in the swamp, they do not all have H2H skills, high levels and most of them would be non-combatants....ditto in fact with the Atlantian populations where we actually see them.....why should we assume that this particular population is unlike any other population of people on rifts earth?

/Sub

Well......it would be an interesting GM house rule to make it a war party (and yes, the author has stated that was his idea when he wrote it....but that was never put in the books, so its not canon). There is nothing official though to make it that way....

H.P. Hovercraft
Explorer

eliakon wrote:
Subjugator wrote:

/Sub

Well......it would be an interesting GM house rule to make it a war party (and yes, the author has stated that was his idea when he wrote it....but that was never put in the books, so its not canon). There is nothing official though to make it that way....

It wouldn't be a "house rule." It would be a "campaign idea."
Subjugator

I thought it was explicitly noted in the books.

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Subjugator wrote:I thought it was explicitly noted in the books.

Nope, just the mention of the huge number. The part where this was supposed to be a pre-operational build up never got in the book.

Satan Lord of Hell
D-Bee

Unread post by Satan Lord of Hell »

There is a small group of True Atlantean freedom fighters (The Eleytherian) who have, with some amount of irony, made a base in the ruins of Atlanta.
Metaphysics in Rifts: Hell is just a place; Satan is just a dude (he has big muscles).
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Satan Lord of Hell wrote:There is a small group of True Atlantean freedom fighters (The Eleytherian) who have, with some amount of irony, made a base in the ruins of Atlanta.

Yeah....but a small group of freedom fighters is not anything close to "more than 50,000". Let alone "more than fifty thousand combatants....."

RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by RiftJunkie »

While the whole "D-Day Invasion Build-up" sounds cool, why Dino Swamp? They are Dimensional hoppers. Wouldn't build-ups likely be around Stone Pyramids at various locations and/or dimensions. They can coordinate to rift into multiple strategic locations at the same time. Resupply/reinforce anywhere at anytime? The setting of Rifts really limits the effectiveness of an all-out direct frontal assault. Even a tech only nation like the Coalition can't or won't take that chance. Just look at the NGR/CS/New Navy mega-assault on the Gargoyles. Why would the True Atlanteans?
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
H.P. Hovercraft
Explorer

eliakon wrote:
Subjugator wrote:I thought it was explicitly noted in the books.

Nope, just the mention of the huge number. The part where this was supposed to be a pre-operational build up never got in the book.

Yeah, the reason for them being there isn't explicitly stated............the idea of an invasion force is only theorized[i] by those who know of their existence.[/i]
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

i'd assume that Splynncryth probably watches dimensional entries very closely.. but simple non-magical boats landing on the coast are more easily hidden. the florida group would be a staging base for sneaking scouting groups onto and off Atlantis.
the swamp is poorly known by outside groups, and all the dimensional stuff going on there would easily hide rift and portal activity the TA's use to move to their off-earth main base.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website

Return to “Rifts®”