Where would you live?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

kaid
Knight

Re: Where would you live?

Unread post by kaid »

Jerell wrote:
kaid wrote:Lemuria. Given how dangerous the rifts world is living in a beautiful city that can travel anywhere in the world that is on or near a ley line rapidly above the water in the air or at the bottom of the sea means its about as safe as you can possibly be on rifts earth.

It also is a city with highly advanced medical treatments, and all sorts of neat critters to play with. I would love to have a panther shark buddy we could go out and frolic under the seas.

Indeed. Lumeria would be my choice as well. Sleep in one of the Pyramids and you can pretty much stop ageing, plus, all the sushi you can eat. Get me some wave strider armor and I'd be fine. :bandit:

Yup and I love critters and their whole cities are like zoos of the fantastic. If I can go someplace and have a panther shark of my very own and maybe even a seal serpent I would be a happy man. Also its a city full of beautiful women who have very little body modesty so there is that as well.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Mlp7029 wrote:Who could pick only one? I would do the same thing my character has done. Migrate around the world living lots of places.

Most people. Travel in Rifts earth is dangerous. You could be eaten by... well 1000s of things. It's not like you hop in a car and drive down the road and end up in a new kingdom and what not. Travel is often overlooked in many games, but once you get out of 'town' the danger level spikes. You might not run into anything more aggressive than a squirrel for100s of miles, but you might run into 50 kinds of demon, devil, monster, alien, dinosaur, Debee, fairy, god, godling, dimigod, horseman, mutant, psystalker, just out side of town, and a different one a mile down the road, and 30 of the next kind just over the hill.

This is another reason to love lemuria. Traveling is easier to do when your entire city migrates around the world and from the bottom of seas to secluded mountain valleys. Travel is hard so bring lots of friends and then sleep in your own bed.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

kaid wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:
Mlp7029 wrote:Who could pick only one? I would do the same thing my character has done. Migrate around the world living lots of places.

Most people. Travel in Rifts earth is dangerous. You could be eaten by... well 1000s of things. It's not like you hop in a car and drive down the road and end up in a new kingdom and what not. Travel is often overlooked in many games, but once you get out of 'town' the danger level spikes. You might not run into anything more aggressive than a squirrel for100s of miles, but you might run into 50 kinds of demon, devil, monster, alien, dinosaur, Debee, fairy, god, godling, dimigod, horseman, mutant, psystalker, just out side of town, and a different one a mile down the road, and 30 of the next kind just over the hill.

This is another reason to love lemuria. Traveling is easier to do when your entire city migrates around the world and from the bottom of seas to secluded mountain valleys. Travel is hard so bring lots of friends and then sleep in your own bed.

Yeah but everything, including the people smell like fish... Not sure that's a good trade off.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
kaid wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:

Yeah but everything, including the people smell like fish... Not sure that's a good trade off.

Smell is the easiest sense to desensitize. You wouldn't even notice the smell after a bit.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

You just keep right on tellin' yourself that Flatline. :ok: :D

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Aaryq
Adventurer

Unread post by Aaryq »

Upper levels of Chi-Town.
There should be a specific sub-forum of the Rifts forum dedicated to the only hope for salvation of the human race, the Coalition States.
H.P. Hovercraft
Explorer

Unread post by H.P. Hovercraft »

The Okanagan, B.C. Canada.

Temperate climates, beautiful lakes, orchard and vineyard country, "several towns and cities," and, "a technological oasis in the middle of wilderness."

Oh, and it's protected by a family of human-loving Ogopogo Dragons.
Lao Tzume
Explorer

Unread post by Lao Tzume »

Nice.

Also I love your username.
Whiskeyjack
Adventurer

Unread post by Whiskeyjack »

I think I'd stick where I am, in the hivelands, and become a bug hunter.
H.P. Hovercraft
Explorer

Lao Tzume wrote:Nice.

Also I love your username.

Thanks for noticing ;) Bromance ensues...........
H.P. Hovercraft
Explorer

Blastaar wrote:I would go with Hudsons Wheigh. simply put is in the location of my home town..

https://www.google.ca/maps/@56.3476834, ... ,16z?hl=en

Yeah, Hudson Wheigh is a pretty cool place...........I've used it in-game several times myself; a quiet independent and self-reliant power in the northern Canadian wilderness. In our game it's the home of Alpha...fliers?...flite?...fight?...Alpha-something; an ex-Tundra Rangers PA pilot, a Sasquatch, a Shaman, a pair of twin Asgardian Elves and a few others..........

Winnipeg is bug territory.

I've got a few friends living there, and if you're still there in 109 PA, we'll swing by and pick you up and relocate to "way up in the Wheigh." A Good place to build a few handy TW devices, play some rec-league hockey, and swill a few brews with those...um, Alpha....dudes.

"Koo loo koo koo, koo koo koo kooooooooooooo"
All hail the Great White North.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

kaid wrote:
Jerell wrote:
kaid wrote:Lemuria. Given how dangerous the rifts world is living in a beautiful city that can travel anywhere in the world that is on or near a ley line rapidly above the water in the air or at the bottom of the sea means its about as safe as you can possibly be on rifts earth.

It also is a city with highly advanced medical treatments, and all sorts of neat critters to play with. I would love to have a panther shark buddy we could go out and frolic under the seas.

Indeed. Lumeria would be my choice as well. Sleep in one of the Pyramids and you can pretty much stop ageing, plus, all the sushi you can eat. Get me some wave strider armor and I'd be fine. :bandit:

Yup and I love critters and their whole cities are like zoos of the fantastic. If I can go someplace and have a panther shark of my very own and maybe even a seal serpent I would be a happy man. Also its a city full of beautiful women who have very little body modesty so there is that as well.

This suetopia is possible more irksome than Psyscape, it needs nuking.

I mean even Millennium Trees have killer-bogies lurking about, and Dweomer is full of Demons, and Lazlo/Magestar are all exposed and vulnerable.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
H.P. Hovercraft
Explorer

Tor wrote:
kaid wrote:
Jerell wrote:

I mean even Millennium Trees have killer-bogies lurking about, and Dweomer is full of Demons, and Lazlo/Magestar are all exposed and vulnerable.

Sarcastically: "Totally, dude! Nice places to live suck! Way better to live in a city full of demons or somewhere exposed and vulnerable than in a suetopia filled with panther sharks and scantily clad beautiful women; that would suck, dude. Like you said, those places need to be nuked!! Promise me bro, if I ever end up living ANYWHERE that's even remotely cool to live, that you'll nuke me and all those who choose to live in such a Suetopia. An idealised life is for losers, dude. Nukes FTW!!! I promise, if you ever end up someplace nice, I'll do the same for you, bro."
Lao Tzume
Explorer

Unread post by Lao Tzume »

H.P. Hovercraft wrote:
Blastaar wrote:I would go with Hudsons Wheigh. simply put is in the location of my home town..

https://www.google.ca/maps/@56.3476834, ... ,16z?hl=en

Yeah, Hudson Wheigh is a pretty cool place...........I've used it in-game several times myself; a quiet independent and self-reliant power in the northern Canadian wilderness. In our game it's the home of Alpha...fliers?...flite?...fight?...Alpha-something; an ex-Tundra Rangers PA pilot, a Sasquatch, a Shaman, a pair of twin Asgardian Elves and a few others..........

Winnipeg is bug territory.

I've got a few friends living there, and if you're still there in 109 PA, we'll swing by and pick you up and relocate to "way up in the Wheigh." A Good place to build a few handy TW devices, play some rec-league hockey, and swill a few brews with those...um, Alpha....dudes.

"Koo loo koo koo, koo koo koo kooooooooooooo"
All hail the Great White North.

Alpha ******. It's a ****** Candian team. That's great.

Edit: Asterisked because I realized you knew who you were parodying but forgot about the strict rules of the forums.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

H.P. Hovercraft wrote:
Tor wrote:
kaid wrote:
Jerell wrote:

Sarcastically: "Totally, dude! Nice places to live suck! Way better to live in a city full of demons or somewhere exposed and vulnerable than in a suetopia filled with panther sharks and scantily clad beautiful women; that would suck, dude. Like you said, those places need to be nuked!! Promise me bro, if I ever end up living ANYWHERE that's even remotely cool to live, that you'll nuke me and all those who choose to live in such a Suetopia. An idealised life is for losers, dude. Nukes FTW!!! I promise, if you ever end up someplace nice, I'll do the same for you, bro."

Eh...its not all THAT great. I mean the entire Lemurian race appears to be racially stupid on a genetic level....
In an entire RACE of telepathic goody-goody mary sues.....NO ONE HAS NOTICED THE GENOCIDAL EVIL CULT RUN BY ONE OF THE LEADERS!!!!
Either
A) The Lemurian race is willfully stupid
B) The lemurians are willing to sacrifice an entire order of sentient life for their own happiness
C) The Lemurians aren't as nice as people like to pretend
...I think I will still stay in Japan where I know the flaws, I don't have to worry about my leaders secretly being evil genocidal maniacs, AND I get anime.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

H.P. Hovercraft wrote:Nice places to live suck! Way better to live in a city full of demons or somewhere exposed and vulnerable than in a suetopia filled with panther sharks and scantily clad beautiful women

Scantily clad people will distract people from progress, demons push humans to excel, and keeping them out is racism.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
H.P. Hovercraft
Explorer

Tor wrote:
H.P. Hovercraft wrote:Nice places to live suck! Way better to live in a city full of demons or somewhere exposed and vulnerable than in a suetopia filled with panther sharks and scantily clad beautiful women

Scantily clad people will distract people from progress, demons push humans to excel, and keeping them out is racism.

Scantily clad people distract no one when it's the societal norm.

Demons push humans to excel, but generally only in areas of violence.

Keeping demons out could be viewed as racist, but (like Tolkeen, et al) summoning demons to do your bidding is slavery.
H.P. Hovercraft
Explorer

@ Eliakon: I totally agree............Lemuria is by no means perfect; heck, it wouldn't even be my first choice for somewhere to live.

Too self-righteous is my main problem with them. It's cool that they can live the way that they do, but without the level of psionic Empathy that they do, it's impossible for the rest of the world. Many of them view Humans as barbarians, yet Humans aren't Lemurians.

Could Lemurians give Humanity various eco-friendly alternatives to our "current (109 PA)" way of life? Sure. Will they? We'll see................
Could Lemurians give Humanity the means to keep those Fury Beetles from eating my entire family? Probably not.

The Lemurian way really only works for Lemurians; and since the rest of Humanity doesn't have Empathy w/ Animals as a natural ability, we'll have to make do with what we've got.
H.P. Hovercraft
Explorer

As far as "NO ONE HAS NOTICED THE GENOCIDAL EVIL CULT RUN BY ONE OF THE LEADERS" goes...........
......this is kind of a Palladium staple (I know "I" have to take it with a grain of salt, myself).

OTOH, maybe think of it this way: How many congress men/women (or even the President) really knows what the CIA is currently up to?

In the real world it's kind of a downer to think about, but in a role-playing arena it's perfect adventure fodder.
Dunia
Adventurer

Unread post by Dunia »

Free Quebec
At least I will be safe from psychics, mages and other supernatural freaks while at the same time I will still have the option of going to school and university.

Lemuria
How can one not want to live there?
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

H.P. Hovercraft wrote:@ Eliakon: I totally agree............Lemuria is by no means perfect; heck, it wouldn't even be my first choice for somewhere to live.

Too self-righteous is my main problem with them. It's cool that they can live the way that they do, but without the level of psionic Empathy that they do, it's impossible for the rest of the world. Many of them view Humans as barbarians, yet Humans aren't Lemurians.

Could Lemurians give Humanity various eco-friendly alternatives to our "current (109 PA)" way of life? Sure. Will they? We'll see................
Could Lemurians give Humanity the means to keep those Fury Beetles from eating my entire family? Probably not.

The Lemurian way really only works for Lemurians; and since the rest of Humanity doesn't have Empathy w/ Animals as a natural ability, we'll have to make do with what we've got.

It will be interesting to see how the interactions with the vampire hunters in mexico goes. The lemurians have mostly been quietly watching and monitoring the world after their return and have had to do a lot of work to get their weapons/armor strong enough where they only now are feeling secure enough to go out into the world to help. It will be interesting if they will try to keep biomancy secret or if they will try to spread it to as many as possible. Really if they want to change people to more their way of thinking and living they will want/need to spread biomancy around as much as possible. Some is not going to work well for those without their empathy but a lot of it would be huge quality of live improvements for many people and help their environment out at the same time.

Humans can learn to be biomancers and those who do acquire the empatic abilities so its very possible it is something that can be trained if a person was willing to fully embrace it. Its also very possible due to their genetic mastery it is either something that could be granted in another or biomancy item that could be used or worn to allow it. What better way to get people to stop killing and wanton destruction than to give them something that allows them the same empathy the lemurians and jungle elves have.

The lemurians are not without flaws but even with their flaws their cities are probably some of the safest/healthiest and probably some of the most beautiful that can be found on rifts earth.
H.P. Hovercraft
Explorer

kaid wrote:
H.P. Hovercraft wrote:@ Eliakon: I totally agree............Lemuria is by no means perfect; heck, it wouldn't even be my first choice for somewhere to live.

It will be interesting to see how the interactions with the vampire hunters in mexico goes. The lemurians have mostly been quietly watching and monitoring the world after their return and have had to do a lot of work to get their weapons/armor strong enough where they only now are feeling secure enough to go out into the world to help. It will be interesting if they will try to keep biomancy secret or if they will try to spread it to as many as possible. Really if they want to change people to more their way of thinking and living they will want/need to spread biomancy around as much as possible. Some is not going to work well for those without their empathy but a lot of it would be huge quality of live improvements for many people and help their environment out at the same time.

Humans can learn to be biomancers and those who do acquire the empatic abilities so its very possible it is something that can be trained if a person was willing to fully embrace it. Its also very possible due to their genetic mastery it is either something that could be granted in another or biomancy item that could be used or worn to allow it. What better way to get people to stop killing and wanton destruction than to give them something that allows them the same empathy the lemurians and jungle elves have.

The lemurians are not without flaws but even with their flaws their cities are probably some of the safest/healthiest and probably some of the most beautiful that can be found on rifts earth.

I've been tossing this idea around in my head for a while too.

I still doubt that it would take off in a major way (but it's still a cool idea). I think it could be done, but few would go for it. In the might-makes-right world of Rifts, the idea of having some underwater-dude/dudette messing with your brain to be more PETA probably wouldn't fly for most.

From an objective Real-World POV where we're dealing with energy supply issues and ecological catastrophe around every corner, the idea of Biomancy sounds amazing...............but for characters living in the world of Rifts Earth, it would be very, very suspect.
Morik
Explorer

Unread post by Morik »

If I could make it, Los Alamo looks like the closest place to me that has their sh...stuff together. I could make it there and just teach literacy, basic math/electronics and computer operation. Teaching history could be tricky. I would do it as long as C.S. assassins wouldn't come after me.

This is assuming that I currently keep all the meta-information I know about RIFTS earth. If I didn't know anything and was just rifted there, I'd probably wander into old Dallas and get possessed and toyed with until my death. That would suck. RIFTS is really scary.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

H.P. Hovercraft wrote:
Tor wrote:

Keeping demons out could be viewed as racist, but (like Tolkeen, et al) summoning demons to do your bidding is slavery.

it is the societal norm for bonobos look at what they focus on
using demons for manual labor freeze humans to research
it is only slavery if you use a battle of wills contracts are fine
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:
H.P. Hovercraft wrote:
Tor wrote:

it is the societal norm for bonobos look at what they focus on
using demons for manual labor freeze humans to research
it is only slavery if you use a battle of wills contracts are fine

-I don't think your going to be able to prove that other societies clothing standards are wrong, simply because they are not ours......
-I don't think that any form of enforced classism or caste society is going to be able to be demonstrated as 'morally superior'. And stating that 'group X will do the manual labor' and 'group Y will do the thinking' is sort of the definition of a caste society.....
-I think you would be hard pressed to support the contention that demons will do work for mortals with OUT coercion since, canon flatly states that they will not do so.....
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Backing up a little, how is looking at something your focusing on a societal norm? What else are they supposed to do if they're focusing on something visual? Smell it really hard?

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

H.P. Hovercraft wrote:
kaid wrote:

I've been tossing this idea around in my head for a while too.

I still doubt that it would take off in a major way (but it's still a cool idea). I think it could be done, but few would go for it. In the might-makes-right world of Rifts, the idea of having some underwater-dude/dudette messing with your brain to be more PETA probably wouldn't fly for most.

From an objective Real-World POV where we're dealing with energy supply issues and ecological catastrophe around every corner, the idea of Biomancy sounds amazing...............but for characters living in the world of Rifts Earth, it would be very, very suspect.

Probably the biggest selling points for biomancy are honestly more for communities. Biomancers can feed people using basically any healthy tree/plant without needing to devote much if any area to cultivation. A consistent year round food supply that requires minimal effort to work is a huge deal for any town/village. Now combine this with the ability to make all your dwellings permanent high MDC structures by basically shaping trees to have tree houses in them and then making the tree MDC and the ability to cheeply and easily equip your defenders with regenerating armor/weapons that are capable of fighting any threat from mundane to supernatural with items that don't actually require their users to be capable of wielding magic or psionic powers. The more complex armors the lemurians use requires the bio empathy abilities to activate/deactivate but the more basic ones the jungle elves use which lemurians are also capable of do not require those powers to use them

Look at the people the lemurians are helping in mexico. The ability for them to help feed/armor/weapon the locals to a level that would allow them to successfully fight back vs the vampires using nothing but materials found everywhere locally and not requiring any high levels of technology and the infrastructure needed to support it has to be seen as a pretty amazing advantage.
Nox Equites
Explorer

Unread post by Nox Equites »

Detroit. Easy access to Wormwood and with the right gear you can go stomping the Unholy's minions with near impunity. Sure you have a near certain chance of nasty critters showing up every two to three months, but hey its exciting. As a shifter I could port to nearly any magic city or nearest nexus pretty easily. Besides plenty of scrounging for artifacts.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Depending on how it's run and supplied, a nice Fadetown could be a good refuge.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Return to “Rifts®”