WerePanther question.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Shadowdragon7
D-Bee

WerePanther question.

Unread post by Shadowdragon7 »

I read in the South America book that werepanthers/werejaguars get hit points but i don't see anything about sdc do I use the ultimate rulebook and give her similar sdc as a human gets?
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: WerePanther question.

Unread post by The Beast »

Shadowdragon7 wrote:I read in the South America book that werepanthers/werejaguars get hit points but i don't see anything about sdc do I use the ultimate rulebook and give her similar sdc as a human gets?

No. Werebeasts don't have SDC, just HP.
Shadowdragon7
D-Bee

Unread post by Shadowdragon7 »

The Beast wrote:
Shadowdragon7 wrote:I read in the South America book that werepanthers/werejaguars get hit points but i don't see anything about sdc do I use the ultimate rulebook and give her similar sdc as a human gets?

No. Werebeasts don't have SDC, just HP.

thanks
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

specifically, werecreatures have what is called 'limited invulnerability', meaning that they do not take damage from most attacks at all. they are only vulnerable to a few types (magic, psionics, silver, mainly) and when hit by attacks of those types, they take the damage directly to their hit points.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

see rifts conversion book (1) approximately pg 191 (at least in my copy) werebeasts, werewolf
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Why Wear-creatures, Vampires, and other undead use HP in Rifts, I have no idea. They should just have "Undead Points" because they don't work like regular HP, and they dont work like MDC. By calling it HP, but making it work differently, is just confusing.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

Kagashi wrote:Why Wear-creatures, Vampires, and other undead use HP in Rifts, I have no idea. They should just have "Undead Points" because they don't work like regular HP, and they dont work like MDC. By calling it HP, but making it work differently, is just confusing.

well in general it does work exactly like HP its just that due to their "special natures" they also have a "limited invulnerability" that takes the place of a "normal creatures" sdc.

in the case of a were what happens is say its charging an army confident in its "invulnerability" (medeval army) the archers bombard it and the general area its in and it gets hit by dozens of arrows, but because they are NOT silver they just get shoved/yanked out and it heals instantly (no effective damage) it runs up and attacks the melee fighters and unless they have weapons that will hurt it (unlikely) the same thing happens as it rampages through killing everyone in reach.

Modern army basically the same scenario all the bullets unless they can bypass its limited invulnerability it just shrugs them off. when the solders shoot it with the grenade launcher, Law or similar explosives it gets blown through the air and knocked down, but it just picks itself up and proceeds...

MDC weapons in general do the same thing as the modern ones, with the main difference being that a lot more of them cause knockdown effects.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Kagashi wrote:Why Wear-creatures, Vampires, and other undead use HP in Rifts, I have no idea. They should just have "Undead Points" because they don't work like regular HP, and they dont work like MDC. By calling it HP, but making it work differently, is just confusing.

Werebeasts aren't undead. Your proposal would be just as confusing.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

The Beast wrote:

Their game mechanic is the same. Perhaps I should have just said "Were-creatures, Vampires and other undead..." (sans second comma). Regardless, under the current rules they have "HP", but its not HP, and its not MDC either. Call it something else. Call it "Obama points" or "Not Hit Points"...what you call it, is irrelevant, just should be clarified better as something other than HP or MDC.
Updated Aug 2015
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Hit points are a hold over from D&D where all the creatures and people in that game have Hit Points. And the undead&dead have HP just keeping it simple.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Kagashi wrote:
The Beast wrote:

Their game mechanic is the same. Perhaps I should have just said "Were-creatures, Vampires and other undead..." (sans second comma). Regardless, under the current rules they have "HP", but its not HP, and its not MDC either. Call it something else. Call it "Obama points" or "Not Hit Points"...what you call it, is irrelevant, just should be clarified better as something other than HP or MDC.

How are they different than HP though?
They are vulnerable to 'direct to HP' attacks
Each HP is used up in a 1:1 ratio when they take damage
They just have some spiffy defenses that make it harder to get at those HP...but when you DO get at them, they are just like anyone else's HP.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

eliakon wrote:
Kagashi wrote:
The Beast wrote:

They just have some spiffy defenses that make it harder to get at those HP...but when you DO get at them, they are just like anyone else's HP.

They're like the HP and SDC of those Phase-powered characters, as the natural phased state causes all attacks to 'sync up' with the damage capacity style you have. So whether Mega-damage or regular damage is all deals just regular damage to their SDC and HP. So creatures like vampire and werewolves their special invulnerability basically means that whatever damage can get through their protection is scaled to always do HP damage (so magical mega-damage dealing weapons don't get to vaporize vampires or werewolves in a single shot).
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Nightmask wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Kagashi wrote:
The Beast wrote:

They're like the HP and SDC of those Phase-powered characters, as the natural phased state causes all attacks to 'sync up' with the damage capacity style you have. So whether Mega-damage or regular damage is all deals just regular damage to their SDC and HP. So creatures like vampire and werewolves their special invulnerability basically means that whatever damage can get through their protection is scaled to always do HP damage (so magical mega-damage dealing weapons don't get to vaporize vampires or werewolves in a single shot).

Correct. So..."not HP". Its something else.
Updated Aug 2015
Nightmask
Palladin

Kagashi wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Kagashi wrote:
The Beast wrote:Werebeasts aren't undead. Your proposal would be just as confusing.

Correct. So..."not HP". Its something else.

Well no, they're still HP it's their special invulnerability that's converting incoming damage into HP damage. Just as the SDC and HP of those Phase characters is still SDC and HP rather than 'something else'.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

If it were truly HP, MDC should vape the being as you said previously.

Rather, it takes all damage, no matter the source, and treats it as if it were the same level of destruction (if the trigger qualifies as being able to damage it). Its not HP, but its called HP.

Its just like AR. There are different types of AR, but they all work differently. Its confusing and they should have different names to more clearly categorize them.

There is Vehicular AR, Body Armor AR, and Natural AR; each working differently, but all just called "AR" with their definitions spread out in odd places not only in the main core books of each respective game, but even among various source books and in various games.

Yet Palladium just calls it all "AR". It should be better communicated which is which. Same thing here with "Undead/Were HP". Its not HP, its something else. This category should cover Were-creatures, Vampires, Palladium Undead, Zombies, Mummies, and Animated Dead/Skeletons.

Why? Because for years players vs GMs vs other GMs have different ideas of how this is supposed to work and when to apply the rule and Palladium simply isnt clear on it. Ive seen people think Animate and Control Dead is a waste of a spell cause any Joe Blow with a Wilks laser pistol can plow right through the magical attack in less than one melee round...all because the spell just says..."HP". Some people say it is literally HP. Others say its "undead HP". And both camps are "right".
Updated Aug 2015
Nightmask
Palladin

Kagashi wrote:If it were truly HP, MDC should vape the being as you said previously.

Rather, it takes all damage, no matter the source, and treats it as if it were the same level of destruction (if the trigger qualifies as being able to damage it). Its not HP, but its called HP.

Its just like AR. There are different types of AR, but they all work differently. Its confusing and they should have different names to more clearly categorize them.

There is Vehicular AR, Body Armor AR, and Natural AR; each working differently, but all just called "AR" with their definitions spread out in odd places not only in the main core books of each respective game, but even among various source books and in various games.

Yet Palladium just calls it all "AR". It should be better communicated which is which. Same thing here with "Undead/Were HP". Its not HP, its something else. This category should cover Were-creatures, Vampires, Palladium Undead, Zombies, Mummies, and Animated Dead/Skeletons.

Why? Because for years players vs GMs vs other GMs have different ideas of how this is supposed to work and when to apply the rule and Palladium simply isnt clear on it. Ive seen people think Animate and Control Dead is a waste of a spell cause any Joe Blow with a Wilks laser pistol can plow right through the magical attack in less than one melee round...all because the spell just says..."HP". Some people say it is literally HP. Others say its "undead HP". And both camps are "right".

Except it truly is HP, just because a power the creature possesses converts damage down to qualifying as HP damage doesn't mean they don't have HP but 'something else kind of like HP but not really'. They have HP and they have a power that makes whatever damage it can't block into HP damage. Just as you don't call it 'kind of like mega-damage but not really' when someone has a power that lets an SDC/HP damage weapon deal mega-damage because it is mega-damage.

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Kagashi wrote:If it were truly HP, MDC should vape the being as you said previously.

Does the spell Lifeward change my mages hit points then into something else? Because suddenly my hit poits now take 1:1 damage from MD and 1:1 damage from SD attacks. Did that mean that my hit points changed, or does that mean that my damage resistance changed.
I would say that my defenses to damage change (in that damage to me is modified by my defense), but there was no change to my fundamental durability (hit points are still hit points)
I see no reason to make up a new name for something that has no actual difference. Its like defining if humans have 'red hit points' or 'blue hit points' There is no distinction at all between them, and so any labels are just pointless. Hit points are Hit Points. They all have the exact same value. Now some things have a second, unrelated, power (say Were-Invulnerability, Vampiric-Invulnerability, A super power, a spell, what ever) that modifies damage done first, before it is applied to those hit points. But once that modification is done, the actual hit points them selves are no different.

And the AR thing is a false analogy. AR with no modifiers is just that Armor Rating. When something uses a different rule it is called either Natural Armor Rating, or Vehicular Armor Rating. Claiming that they are used interchangeably would be like claiming that SDC and MDC are the same since they are both Damage Capacity.

And for what its worth I am in the camp that says Animate Dead does exactly what it says it does. No more, no less.
Since it doesn't explicitly say that they get a damage reduction (like is spelled out explicitly for Prometheans, Vampires, Werebeasts, Lifeward, et multiple cetera) then there is no damage reduction. So yes, your Wilks pistol will one shot an animated dead (unless that body is in armor of course)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Considering the were-jags all uniquely are astral projectors, there is no SDC to add to their HP... although do they explicitly not get SDC from physical skills or something?

Since HP converts to Astral SDC, I am wondering how/if their invulnerability works on the astral plane... like their vulnerabilities allow HP to be damaged if it's silver or whatev but what if there is no longer HP to damage... or can silver even truly exist in the astral?

Same concern with vamps who can go astral too, possible with former-mage secondaries.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

I would say that they do not have that same invulnerability on the astral; their use of astral projection is no different than anyone else's, and the body's strengths and invulnerabilities don't mean much on the astral.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Rifts®”