Elemental dragons

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Elemental dragons

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Based solely on appearance what dragon species would you use for each element (earth, air, fire, water) and why. Please provide a different dragon for each element.

Thanks
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Elemental dragons

Wow... nothing?
K
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

many dragons already have some sort of element that they are associated with.
Fire: Fire dragon, and to a lesser extent the Great horned dragon
Ice: Ice Dragon
Cold/frost: Snow Lizard
Forest: Forest runner
Air: Thunder Lizard & Kukulcan
Earth: Basilisk
Death: Cockatrice
Chaos: Hydra
Water: Lo-Dox Dragon
Darkness: Night Stalker
Wind: Serpent of the Wind
Magic: Chiang-Ku
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:many dragons already have some sort of element that they are associated with.

Forest or wood is not an element unless were talking Japanese elements, in which case we need steel too. Too many, not elements.
I realize all of this.
The point is which would you pick based on appearance ONLY to be THE representative of one of the FOUR elements (EARTH, AIR, FIRE, WATER) and why.

If the above would be your choices then your reason would be?
How is the Chiang-Ku more magic that the great horned? Can they master the same amount?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

:P
Is an anime fan so I would not limit the elements to Just the greek ones. So yes, I included the asian elements. But forest is much associated with the earth element also....so earth would be the alt. element for the forest runner.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Perhaps this would help:

Basilisk: Basilisks appear as thin, serpentine creatures with a beaky maw, bone-ribbed crown on top of the head, and a long, slashing tail.

Cockatrice: This strange serpentine dragon has a bird-like beak and head, powerful claws, feathered wings, and rooster-like crown on top of its head.

Fire Dragon: Fire dragons can appear in various shades of red, from scarlet to alizarin, and have massive wings and powerful limbs.

Great Horned Dragon: They tower 30 to 50 feet tall, with expansive wings. Skin colors vary widely, from light green to golden orange.

Hydra: The seven headed hydra is the savage monster-dragon of dragon-kind.

Ice Dragon: The majestic ice dragon can be any shade of blue, from light to dark with white highlights.

Kukulcan: This small, elegant dragon appears as a beautiful, nine foot long serpent with spindly arms, bird-like head and legs and brightly colored plumage of gold, silver, and bright blue-white.

Night Stalker: They are dull green, grey, or black in color, with large, watery blue eyes, long, serpentine body, powerful wings and terrible claws.

Serpent of the Wind: Serpents of the wind are long, thin, snake-like, wingless dragons, with copper, red-brown, or dark brown skin.

Thunder Lizard: The thunder lizard is a wingless, emerald green and gold, reptilian dragon.

Wooly Dragon: These furry giants are the neanderthals of dragonkind. The wooly dragon is a giant, dinosaur-like being, rippling with muscles. Its scaly body is covered in fine body hair, the neck and base of the skull are topped with a wild, heavy mane, with tufts of fur trailing down its spine and tail. Body hair is tan or reddish, with a darker colored mane.

Chiang-Ku: No description given?

Shikome Kido-Mi: The words shikome kido mean "hideous sorcery" and mi "serpent," which aptly describes the dragon that bears this name.

Kumo-Mi: The serpents have fine scales that are usually white with green accents and jade colored whiskers and fins, or a pale blue color, with green or dark blue fins that run along the spine. The dragon's eyes are like sparkling diamonds, and a pair of long horns crown the head. A single pair of arms/legs with razor sharp claws are located toward the front of the body. The rest of its length is long and featureless except for the fin along its back and the smooth, snake-like scales that gleam in the sun and collect morning dew.

Asama-Tatsu: The asama-tastu is huge, standing 20 feet (6 m) tall from the top of its head to the bottom of its front feet, and measuring 100 feet long (30.5 m). Its scales seem to be made of gold (they aren't), eyes are silver, and the head is crowned with a golden unicorn horn and a mane of golden-red hair. The long, fiber-like fins that run down its spine are a dark crimson or black with hints of red.

Zaayr Crystal Dragon: Zaayr are magical creatures seemingly made completely of solid crystal and pure magical energy. Even their wings, teeth and claws are made of crystal and their tongue and eyes of blue magic energy. Although hard like rocks their bodies are usually warm to the touch and they are beautiful to behold - like a living, moving sculpture.

Ogopogo: They are 60-100 feet long, with snake-like bodies with no feet, fins or spines - any spines, fins, hair, horns, etc., grow only on and around the head. They have shiny scales like the back of a trout and are dark green in color with bits of white and light green for highlights. The head is horse-like in general shape and appearance. The tail is forked like a sockeye salmon.

Leviathan: No description given?

Ghost Dragon: In its natural form, the Ghost Dragon appears as a pale white dragon with a light gray, light blue or light green underbelly and hair. Its head is surrounded by a crown of horns and spikes, with more wicked looking, shark-tooth shaped spikes running down its spine. On its head is a beard, two long, tentacle-like feelers that pass for a mustache, and a shaggy mane of hair that runs down its back. Its eyes are solid white and minus pupils. The Ghost Dragon is more akin to eastern dragons, having a long serpentine body and short limbs. It has a long tail that resembles that of a fish, but ends with a fan-like cluster of fur.

Hydros Dragon: These beautiful dragons are a metallic-looking silver-blue with a silver underbelly and highlights. They are sometimes mistaken for a sea serpent because the creature has no hind legs in dragon form, but a snake-like tail that narrows to a point. Their front legs/arms are powerful and their webbed hands end with deadly silver claws – literally “silver,” making them deadly weapons to supernatural beings vulnerable to the metal. The dragon has “whiskers” or tentacle-like appendages around its mouth that it uses to sense things in darkness and at the bottom of the ocean, though it also has good Nightvision.

Octo Dragon: The Octo Dragon has a long serpentine body and large head that is more reminiscent of a giant, monstrous eel than a dragon or sea serpent. Its massive jaw is lined with two sets of sharp teeth the size of short swords and a tail that ends in a wicked blade used for slashing and stabbing. A row of spines run down the monster’s back from the base of the head to about two-thirds of its body. The hide is covered in tiny, fine scales. Instead of legs or wings, the beast has eight long, octopus-like tentacles, each of which, and the tail, are prehensile, agile and strong.

Sand Dragon: These magnificent, though slightly odd, dragons range in color from bone white or cream to gold with a green or red frilled fin skirting the neck and a matching color trail of fins that runs down their spine.

Cat's Eye: The Cat's-Eye Dragon has definite feline overtones, while remaining a dragon in every way, with massive wings and powerful limbs. Yet the dragon has retractable claws and golden, almond-shaped eyes like those of a cat, even the muzzle of the dragon is more blunt and feline in shape with enormous canine teeth, as opposed to the more traditional reptilian dragon jaws. Its scales come in tones of tan, gold, tawny yellow, muted orange with red flecks, to deep crimson and blood red. Tufts of darker fur/hair crown the end of the dragon's prehensile tail, and a mane of matching fur often surrounds its head and neck.

Flame Wind: Flame Wind Dragons can appear in various shades of red, from scarlet to alizarin, and have long, slimky bodies, thin but powerful limbs and massive wings.

Forest RUnner: The FOrest RUnner is among the smallest of the true dragond, standing just half as tall as the other Hatchlings and only one quarter their weight, with attractive frilled wings.

Royal Frilled: It's coloration varies widely, from light blue or green to golden orange and red. Around the head/neck of the dragon and along the sides of the body and limbs are frills that can be extended when the dragon is angry or wishes to intimidate someone. The frills are generally royal blue, violet or purple in color, hence the name "Royal" Frilled Dragon. Its claws are also impressively large and hooked, able to slash and gut even other dragons with ease.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Zer0 Kay wrote:Based solely on appearance what dragon species would you use for each element (earth, air, fire, water) and why. Please provide a different dragon for each element.

Thanks

Earth: Zaayr Crystal Dragon or Wooly Dragon

Air: Kukulcan or Ghost Dragon

Fire: Fire Dragon or Flame Wind Dragon

Water: Ice Dragon, Ogopogo or Hydros Dragon

As per the instructions, I based this solely on the appearance descriptions given for the dragons, and not specifically on their abilities. Some of the dragons had no description that I could find (though there may have been a picture), while others had such a variation of possible colors that I couldn't justify assigning the entire type to an element in this manner based solely on their appearance.

EDIT: Oh, you wanted why, too. Here is my reasoning:
  • Zaayr Crystal Dragon: Described as "hard like rocks" and "like a living, moving sculpture." Thus, I associated them with earth.
  • Wooly Dragon: Described as "giant, dinosaur-like," the color tones reminded me of sand or rust, and I made an unfortunate visual wooly mammoth connection. Thus, I associated them with earth.
  • Kukulcan: Described with "bird-like head and legs" and with "brightly colored plumage." I associated them with a bird and thus with air.
  • Ghost Dragon: Described as a " pale white dragon with a light gray, light blue or light green underbelly" made me envision a cloud. Having a beard also aided in that association. Thus, I associated them with air.
  • Fire Dragon: Based solely on their consistent coloration of shades of red, I associated them with fire.
  • Flame Wind Dragon: Based solely on their consistent coloration of shades of red, I associated them with fire.
  • Ice Dragon: Based solely on their consistent coloration of shades of blue, I associated them with water.
  • Ogopogo: Described with "snake-like bodies," "shiny scales like the back of a trout," and a forked tail "like a sockeye salmon," made me envision them as fish-like. Thus, I associated them with water.
  • Hydros Dragon: Both because their coloration is a "metallic-looking silver-blue with a silver underbelly and highlights," and because "they are sometimes mistaken for a sea serpent." Thus, I associated them with water.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:many dragons already have some sort of element that they are associated with.

Where are the "Lo-Dox" and "Serpent of the Wind" dragons from?

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Glistam wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Based solely on appearance what dragon species would you use for each element (earth, air, fire, water) and why. Please provide a different dragon for each element.

Thanks

Earth: Zaayr Crystal Dragon or Wooly Dragon

Air: Kukulcan or Ghost Dragon

Fire: Fire Dragon or Flame Wind Dragon

Water: Ice Dragon, Ogopogo or Hydros Dragon

As per the instructions, I based this solely on the appearance descriptions given for the dragons, and not specifically on their abilities. Some of the dragons had no description that I could find (though there may have been a picture), while others had such a variation of possible colors that I couldn't justify assigning the entire type to an element in this manner based solely on their appearance.

EDIT: Oh, you wanted why, too. Here is my reasoning:
  • Zaayr Crystal Dragon: Described as "hard like rocks" and "like a living, moving sculpture." Thus, I associated them with earth.
  • Wooly Dragon: Described as "giant, dinosaur-like," the color tones reminded me of sand or rust, and I made an unfortunate visual wooly mammoth connection. Thus, I associated them with earth.
  • Kukulcan: Described with "bird-like head and legs" and with "brightly colored plumage." I associated them with a bird and thus with air.
  • Ghost Dragon: Described as a " pale white dragon with a light gray, light blue or light green underbelly" made me envision a cloud. Having a beard also aided in that association. Thus, I associated them with air.
  • Fire Dragon: Based solely on their consistent coloration of shades of red, I associated them with fire.
  • Flame Wind Dragon: Based solely on their consistent coloration of shades of red, I associated them with fire.
  • Ice Dragon: Based solely on their consistent coloration of shades of blue, I associated them with water.
  • Ogopogo: Described with "snake-like bodies," "shiny scales like the back of a trout," and a forked tail "like a sockeye salmon," made me envision them as fish-like. Thus, I associated them with water.
  • Hydros Dragon: Both because their coloration is a "metallic-looking silver-blue with a silver underbelly and highlights," and because "they are sometimes mistaken for a sea serpent." Thus, I associated them with water.

Thank you very much. Your opinion is appreciated.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Glistam wrote:

The Dragons and Gods book.
I left out the Beast Dragon from my list.
------
The only text I can think of that links dragons to Elements, in a published book, is the descriptive text in Mystic China when describing chinese dragons.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Oh DK you so miss the point of this, or you just refuse to participate. :)
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Zer0 Kay wrote:Oh DK you so miss the point of this, or you just refuse to participate. :)

Did someone just ask me a question and I just answered it?

can't answer the quoted question.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Glistam wrote:

The Dragons and Gods book.
I left out the Beast Dragon from my list.

Ah, shoot. I was going to look in that book too, but then I decided not to because I assumed (incorrectly) that all those dragons were in the Conversion Book 1.

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Oh DK you so miss the point of this, or you just refuse to participate. :)

Did someone just ask me a question and I just answered it?

can't answer the quoted question.

:) :P
Who asked the question for THIS though?
The only text I can think of that links dragons to Elements, in a published book, is the descriptive text in Mystic China when describing chinese dragons.

Return to “Rifts®”