Google Sheets - Character Sheet

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Virilitas
D-Bee

Google Sheets - Character Sheet

Unread post by Virilitas »

I couldn't find the character sheet section of the forum so I'll just post it here and hope somebody helps me relocate it.

So, made a character sheet for use with google sheets. It calculates bonuses for stats up to 30 and figures out your skill percentages. Just enter the starting value(with bonuses) and per level, then it adds in your IQ bonus and multiplies by level to figure it out for ya.

To use the sheet yourself, just choose 'file' > 'Make a copy' and you're good to go.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1W3fBGLY3i_t-mbRKX_LMrIuLTB1dl0O1E_bfrwfOJ7g/edit?usp=sharing
Blue_Lion
Knight

Re: Google Sheets - Character Sheet

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

I do not think there is a charter sheet section. The only place I know they have them is the cutting room floor.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Arakash
D-Bee

Unread post by Arakash »

Ive looked for these kind of things many times on this forum. Most are scattered throughout various threads.
There is one central link hub i found for character sheets(mostly megaversal ones), though it is practically 80% crossed out links at the moment.
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=23622

There are other sheets around which also calculate similar things to what you mentioned(excluding the skill calculation). One PDF in particular has been floating around in various threads and ive been using it for a while.
Virilitas
D-Bee

Oh, cool. Yeah, I like google sheets because you never have to deal with transferring it across drives and you can instantly share it with other people.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Please tell me those colors don't print. Those clash too much. Should change them to grays whites and washed out pastels. Accent not over power. :). Ya want people to use it not blow out their eyeballs right? :D
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Virilitas
D-Bee

Oh, yeah I was mostly using it for online, and play by post stuff. I also like to run a character sheet on a tablet for tabletop games. Darker colors are easier on the eyes on monitors, but I'd recommend going in and toning down the colors if you wanted to print it but then you'd need to reprint every time you level up. This is more for digital players I suppose.
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

The sheet looks pretty cool and I plugged in some random numbers just to try it out.
Have a look at PP and PE, when I entered a 17 for PP I received no bonus to Strike, Parry and Dodge but when I entered a 17 for PE I received a 5% to S/P/D and bonuses to resistances.
Haven't had a chance to look over the rest.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

I have done something similar you might want to have a look at. It can calculate hand to hand and WP combat bonuses (except those that come from OCCs). If you want to share resources PM me.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Arakash
D-Bee

Unread post by Arakash »

grandmaster z0b wrote:I have done something similar you might want to have a look at. It can calculate hand to hand and WP combat bonuses (except those that come from OCCs). If you want to share resources PM me.

Nice.

Ive also made a full character sheet with all its sections in excel, which is more limited than yours only including bonuses from Physical skills, H2H and WP as well as skill % adjustments and attributes. However it also contains all the other sections you might expect in a normal character sheet, from equip to special abilities.

I sent it to Palladium and am still in contact/discussion with them about it before i submit it here.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Arakash wrote:
grandmaster z0b wrote:I have done something similar you might want to have a look at. It can calculate hand to hand and WP combat bonuses (except those that come from OCCs). If you want to share resources PM me.

Nice.

Ive also made a full character sheet with all its sections in excel, which is more limited than yours only including bonuses from Physical skills, H2H and WP as well as skill % adjustments and attributes. However it also contains all the other sections you might expect in a normal character sheet, from equip to special abilities.

I sent it to Palladium and am still in contact/discussion with them about it before i submit it here.

Well I'm happy to combine my spreadsheet with others if it serves to help Palladium players and GMs. If you hear back from Palladium and want to join forces let me know. Also I see we're both Australians :)
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Arakash
D-Bee

Unread post by Arakash »

grandmaster z0b wrote:Well I'm happy to combine my spreadsheet with others if it serves to help Palladium players and GMs. If you hear back from Palladium and want to join forces let me know. Also I see we're both Australians :)

Yep, bit of a rarity to see meet some Australians on here :). The Rifts Campaign i'm currently in is run by Canadians.
As to the offer to combine the sheets, thanks, Ill keep it in mind. If I do get permission, ill put it in its own thread, as i have a fair bit to say about it, notes, limitations etc.

For me, the largest decisions are on actually what not to include rather than what to include. On one extreme I am aware of some forms of sheets which are not allowed, which are full character generators in the style of PCGen. On the other extreme i am aware of sheets which calculate attribute bonuses for you, many of which are posted in several parts of the forum and I assume are totally acceptable.

My assumption is that the general concern is that these sheets should not be a replacement for books, they should just be an additional tool to use alongside them.
For that reason I've limited my sheet significantly in the hope it will be allowed.

The best example in the difference of philosophy compared to your sheet is that I dont include any skills other than H2H, WP and Physical which directly effect stats. I also dont include any listing of skill% or %per level.
Keep in mind I'm not criticizing your sheet or you for doing so, just highlighting some differences.

My Rambling aside, here is a Screenshot of my current version. This SC only shows the Top of the Main Character sheet, but you get the idea.
http://www.mediafire.com/view/is0be3qoz ... CS-SC2.png
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Yeah, my sheet calculates skills and combat bonuses mainly buy certainly isn't a replacement for books as it does not take OCC/RCC into account. So without books you wouldn't know how many skills to choose or the OCC bonuses to those skills or any combat bonuses provided by your class.

I made it as a GM resource to quickly make NPCs and to help the players in my group make their characters.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Should be just enough to not include skill descriptions. And when submitting it to Palladium for authorization to post offer to sell instead. Protect and hide all coding so when they do sell it someone can't just copy and paste to modify it themselves. Generic descriptions of powers with citations on which book to find stuff. Like a low detail "The Only Sheet" with the opportunity for the user to type in the details themselves.

Or we can wish that PB would do something like the SRD and realize people still by D&D books. Why would they do that if all the info is detailed in the SRD?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Arakash
D-Bee

Unread post by Arakash »

Zer0 Kay wrote:Should be just enough to not include skill descriptions. And when submitting it to Palladium for authorization to post offer to sell instead. Protect and hide all coding so when they do sell it someone can't just copy and paste to modify it themselves. Generic descriptions of powers with citations on which book to find stuff. Like a low detail "The Only Sheet" with the opportunity for the user to type in the details themselves.

The thought of having descriptions in it makes me nervous.
The reason for my nervousness is I'm well aware of a least one character generator program for Palladium games, similar to PCGen, that its creator wont share for legal reasons. It has the kinds of descriptions you are discussing there.
If you can link me to any threads in which Palladium have discussed the topic, id be interesting in seeing it. (looking for posts by official or semi-official forum members)

The thing about hiding the code is that: 1. Ive heard its trivially easy to get around 2. The code used isn't overly complicated anyway.
Mine uses nothing of any major complexity, if your familiar with Excel, then you might recognize the IF, VLOOKUP and CHOOSE functions, but that's about all you need. In terms of excel complexity, compared to other sheets that use VB or macro's its really quite simple.
The most complex part of mine is just having multiple IF statements within each other, which can get extremely hard to read/use.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Arakash wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Should be just enough to not include skill descriptions. And when submitting it to Palladium for authorization to post offer to sell instead. Protect and hide all coding so when they do sell it someone can't just copy and paste to modify it themselves. Generic descriptions of powers with citations on which book to find stuff. Like a low detail "The Only Sheet" with the opportunity for the user to type in the details themselves.

The thought of having descriptions in it makes me nervous.
The reason for my nervousness is I'm well aware of a least one character generator program for Palladium games, similar to PCGen, that its creator wont share for legal reasons. It has the kinds of descriptions you are discussing there.
If you can link me to any threads in which Palladium have discussed the topic, id be interesting in seeing it. (looking for posts by official or semi-official forum members)

The thing about hiding the code is that: 1. Ive heard its trivially easy to get around 2. The code used isn't overly complicated anyway.
Mine uses nothing of any major complexity, if your familiar with Excel, then you might recognize the IF, VLOOKUP and CHOOSE functions, but that's about all you need. In terms of excel complexity, compared to other sheets that use VB or macro's its really quite simple.
The most complex part of mine is just having multiple IF statements within each other, which can get extremely hard to read/use.

Yeah.. and yet most people don't make one.
So add buttons, add macros.
Mine uses VB hover drop down menus over each skill line to select skills.
The thing is if they buy it from you maybe they'd offer an annual retainer to provide them with updates too.
I'm to lazy to put the classes in to finish mine.
Arakash
D-Bee

Unread post by Arakash »

Zer0 Kay wrote:Yeah.. and yet most people don't make one.
The thing is if they buy it from you maybe they'd offer an annual retainer to provide them with updates too.

OCC's are yet another thing I've intentionally avoided for the same reasons i avoid skill descriptions. They are also another thing i saw on the Character Generator another user created which couldn't be distributed for legal reasons i mentioned earlier.
You might understand my caution and reluctance better if i mention my aim is to create something i can actually legally share on this forum with permission from Palladium.

Ill have to look into VB stuff in excel, I've never used anything other than C++ and C#(obviously outside of excel), but if it does what you suggest i can see how that would be useful for what i was imagining. If it can better hide formulas then that would be especially useful.
Virilitas
D-Bee

You guys are getting complicated! I mean, I did add the XP tables from the ultimate edition, and room to transcribe in other classes. But that should be basic enough to not worry about any infringements.

As for using VB or other advanced programming, the whole purpose of my sheet was to make use of Google's excellent resources. You can pop open any PC anywhere with an internet connection and hop into your character sheet. Or send it to the GM and other players with a quick link. You can give editing or just commenting permissions, even have a chat room open so you can discuss your build with somebody. Google Docs/Sheets are some of the handiest resources around these days and I wanted to take advantage of them.

I also threw in a basic TW Item Creation template. Those formulas can be unwieldy for making items and this speeds it up dramatically, even if you do have to pay attention to the details as I haven't refined it a ton yet.
Razzinold
Hero
Comment: HTTP 404 [witty comment not found]

Unread post by Razzinold »

Virilitas wrote:You guys are getting complicated! I mean, I did add the XP tables from the ultimate edition, and room to transcribe in other classes. But that should be basic enough to not worry about any infringements.

As for using VB or other advanced programming, the whole purpose of my sheet was to make use of Google's excellent resources. You can pop open any PC anywhere with an internet connection and hop into your character sheet. Or send it to the GM and other players with a quick link. You can give editing or just commenting permissions, even have a chat room open so you can discuss your build with somebody. Google Docs/Sheets are some of the handiest resources around these days and I wanted to take advantage of them.

I also threw in a basic TW Item Creation template. Those formulas can be unwieldy for making items and this speeds it up dramatically, even if you do have to pay attention to the details as I haven't refined it a ton yet.

Speaking of editing, did you look at the PP/PE stat bonuses ?
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Arakash wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Yeah.. and yet most people don't make one.

OCC's are yet another thing I've intentionally avoided for the same reasons i avoid skill descriptions. They are also another thing i saw on the Character Generator another user created which couldn't be distributed for legal reasons i mentioned earlier.
You might understand my caution and reluctance better if i mention my aim is to create something i can actually legally share on this forum with permission from Palladium.

Ill have to look into VB stuff in excel, I've never used anything other than C++ and C#(obviously outside of excel), but if it does what you suggest i can see how that would be useful for what i was imagining. If it can better hide formulas then that would be especially useful.

Take a look at the only sheet for D&D and PRPG it is ALL excel and VB, professional and regularly updated.

Return to “Rifts®”