Collective Horror Factor

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Re: Collective Horror Factor

Unread post by Subjugator »

Prysus wrote:Greetings and Salutations. Very true, and to add to that thought: Splugorth (some big bads of the supernatural) as well as the various Demons (Hades) and Deevils (Dyval) also have bonuses to Save vs. Horror Factor. A bonus to horror factor, by no stretch of the imagination, means impervious. It actually shows quite the contrary. Atlantis even tells us that the Splugorth "fear" dragons (Ancient Dragons in particular). So the books flat out tell us these beings DO understand fear.

Point of fact:

When Prysus (the most courteous person to have walked the earth for the past 600 years or so) says something is flat out true in contradiction of someone else's comment to the contrary, I daresay it should be considered to be axiomatically proven so.

;)

Personal note: At the same time, rolling against every Horror Factor could be silly. I can just imagine the Baal-Rog captain addresses an army of lesser demons ... and falls into absolute horror at the sight of them.

...or the Sploogie wetting himself because a big bad 10th level Necromancer walked by? :)

This is why, when writing up my expanded rules, I ruled the one with the higher HF doesn't need to roll. This allows most gods and higher ranked demons (etc.) to address weaker minions without horror. This also helps address why Splugorth (HF: 17) might fear dragons (HF varies, but an Great Horned Dragon has a HF: 18, and all ancient dragons receive a +1 to HF). Of course, it's by no means perfect (Gargoyles have a rather high HF for sub-demons, and every lesser and a lot of greater demons would be afraid of them, but maybe that's why they keep them subjugated?), but the best ruling I could think of to cover most situations.[/justify]

Not a bad idea, really.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Nightmask wrote:Understanding fear and being subject to Horror Factor aren't the same thing

Greetings and Salutations. I'll play along for a moment. You at least admit Splugorth (and other supernaturals) can feel fear then (as the book says so)?

Do you also understand horror is an intense fear? I'm just referring to the simple definition of what horror is. If you do comprehend this, let me redirect you back to this ...

Nightmask wrote:Some supernatural creature of evil and horror is that up to 11 if not Beyond the Impossible, devoid of the emotions and triggers that horror factor could affect.

You said they're devoid of the emotion (fear) that triggers horror. Since they can fear, then they have the emotion. So despite previous claims, they do have the emotion.

Nightmask wrote:a super with the Immune to Horror Factor can still be afraid (they aren't AD&D paladins after all) but they can't be forced by Horror Factor into hesitating.

I'll agree. Now if you show me where it says Supernatural Beings are Immune to Horror Factor, I'll admit you're right. Instead, I can show you where it says they have a bonus to Save vs. Horror Factor, which means they DO need to roll. As such, they can be affected by Horror Factor. As such, they are not immune to horror.

Since I'm here, I'll also address another point.
Nightmask wrote:Unlike mortal creatures they simply don't have the instincts that would be triggered by such things, it would simply be hitting them with more of what they are.

Well, I already addressed the lacking the instincts part, but now I'll address the second part: "it would simply be hitting them with more of what they are."

Okay, I'm a human being. I'm made up flesh, blood, bone, muscle, etc. So if I punch another human being, they're immune to the effects? I mean, I'm just hitting them with more of what they are! They're also flesh, blood, bone, muscle, etc. Simply being the same thing does NOT make someone immune. Yes, a punch is physical, a tangible quality, something you can feel. Aura of "evil and power" (in game terms) has a similar quality that can be felt (and it is feeling this "overwhelming ... power" that results in penalties).

Personally, I'd view it more like leaning against something. Two beings of equal proportions (someone of roughly equal size and weight) will support each other. If one is larger and heavier (imagine a 500 pound sumo wrestler leaning against you), the smaller/lighter one can still get crushed.

Okay, I think that's all for now. Thank you for your time and patience, please have a nice day. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

re the scaling I was using in my example is based loosely on the increased damage scaling for mass attacks in star wars (I think)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

guardiandashi wrote:re the scaling I was using in my example is based loosely on the increased damage scaling for mass attacks in star wars (I think)

D6 or D20?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nightmask wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nightmask wrote:I have more issue with the idea that somehow creatures with horror factor can somehow horrify each other than that the rules don't generally handle having multiple creatures with HF attacking at the same time. I just don't see how you can inflict horror on something that naturally radiates horror itself.

yOu don't think a dragon would frighten a vampire or a great old one frighten a god? I think they'd be frightened of greater hf creatures not lesser and masses of lesser may just concern them.

There's frightened and then there's what horror factor represents, so I don't see a dragon frightening let alone inflicting a feeling of horrific dread sufficient to leave the vampire briefly vulnerable nor the Great Old One doing the same to a god.

they should when both realize there is a great potential for their demise
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nightmask wrote:I have more issue with the idea that somehow creatures with horror factor can somehow horrify each other than that the rules don't generally handle having multiple creatures with HF attacking at the same time. I just don't see how you can inflict horror on something that naturally radiates horror itself.

yOu don't think a dragon would frighten a vampire or a great old one frighten a god? I think they'd be frightened of greater hf creatures not lesser and masses of lesser may just concern them.

There's frightened and then there's what horror factor represents, so I don't see a dragon frightening let alone inflicting a feeling of horrific dread sufficient to leave the vampire briefly vulnerable nor the Great Old One doing the same to a god.

Which has nothing to do with horror factor, which is an instinctive response and not a mental analysis where one looks things over and goes 'oh man I'm SOOOO outclassed here!'.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
guardiandashi wrote:re the scaling I was using in my example is based loosely on the increased damage scaling for mass attacks in star wars (I think)

D6 or D20?

I am ~90% sure I saw it for d6 but I can't find it atm.

basically it was a "rule" that was used for a number of things like: mass combat, linking large numbers of weapons and similar, you could apply it to get boosted damage or boosted accuracy as I remember it, IE if 50 guns fire a "bracketing salvo" you are almost guaranteed to hit with one shot but because you are covering an area... anything in that area is only going to get hit once per "volley"
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

guardiandashi wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

D6 or D20?

I am ~90% sure I saw it for d6 but I can't find it atm.

basically it was a "rule" that was used for a number of things like: mass combat, linking large numbers of weapons and similar, you could apply it to get boosted damage or boosted accuracy as I remember it, IE if 50 guns fire a "bracketing salvo" you are almost guaranteed to hit with one shot but because you are covering an area... anything in that area is only going to get hit once per "volley"

Yup, I remember that. For every so many there was an extra pip
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nightmask wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

Which has nothing to do with horror factor, which is an instinctive response and not a mental analysis where one looks things over and goes 'oh man I'm SOOOO outclassed here!'.

K per PB, Dragon Gods are to Gods what Dragons are to Knights. Knights have to roll HF when encountering a Dragon so a God should when encountering a Dragon God and if a GOO far outclasses a Dragon God...

Now if you want to argue gods being a gestalt of faith without which they disappear means they aren't real so should be as susceptible to HF as the internet, that's another thing. Granted some gods are the gestalt of faith placed upon a person, creature or thing which would exist without faith. Those should be susceptible regardless (not the deified inanimate objects but the living beings).
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:yOu don't think a dragon would frighten a vampire or a great old one frighten a god? I think they'd be frightened of greater hf creatures not lesser and masses of lesser may just concern them.

K per PB, Dragon Gods are to Gods what Dragons are to Knights. Knights have to roll HF when encountering a Dragon so a God should when encountering a Dragon God and if a GOO far outclasses a Dragon God...

Now if you want to argue gods being a gestalt of faith without which they disappear means they aren't real so should be as susceptible to HF as the internet, that's another thing. Granted some gods are the gestalt of faith placed upon a person, creature or thing which would exist without faith. Those should be susceptible regardless (not the deified inanimate objects but the living beings).

A flawed analogy, just because a mortal Knight is bothered by HF doesn't mean a God would be even if the source of the HF was supposedly far above them.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Oddly enough its not relevant in RUE. Unlike the various other games, or the RMB version of Rifts, in RUE Horror Factor explicitly only affects humans and mortals. (RUE pg. 367)
As such no supernatural creature, creature of magic, or immortal being is affected by horror factor anymore (Unless they are also a human, then by the RAW the would be)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

eliakon wrote:Oddly enough its not relevant in RUE. Unlike the various other games, or the RMB version of Rifts, in RUE Horror Factor explicitly only affects humans and mortals. (RUE pg. 367)
As such no supernatural creature, creature of magic, or immortal being is affected by horror factor anymore (Unless they are also a human, then by the RAW the would be)

Hm.
I don't have my book handy at the moment.
Can you provide an exact quote on that?
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nightmask wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nightmask wrote:There's frightened and then there's what horror factor represents, so I don't see a dragon frightening let alone inflicting a feeling of horrific dread sufficient to leave the vampire briefly vulnerable nor the Great Old One doing the same to a god.

A flawed analogy, just because a mortal Knight is bothered by HF doesn't mean a God would be even if the source of the HF was supposedly far above them.

it is only flawed if you've already assumed that gods aren't affected by HF. Considering the knight vs. dragon = god vs. dragon god is a canon PB analogy of THEIR fictional property it can't be a flawed analogy, it's their property.
BTW little g not capital it is a noun, not a noun used as a proper noun.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
eliakon wrote:Oddly enough its not relevant in RUE. Unlike the various other games, or the RMB version of Rifts, in RUE Horror Factor explicitly only affects humans and mortals. (RUE pg. 367)

Hm.

Sure
Horror Factor
"All monsters and supernatural creatures have a Horror Factor (H.F.) The Horror Factor represents either the hideous appearance or its overwhelming aura of evil and power, or a combination of the two. Whenever a human/mortal encounters one of these terrors, the character must roll a 20-sided die (1d20) to see whether or not he is momentarily stunned by the sheer horror of the thing. This Horror Factor roll might be thought of as a saving throw or mental parry"

Only Human/Mortals need to roll the Horror Factor check under the RAW.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

eliakon wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Hm.

Sure
Horror Factor
"All monsters and supernatural creatures have a Horror Factor (H.F.) The Horror Factor represents either the hideous appearance or its overwhelming aura of evil and power, or a combination of the two. Whenever a human/mortal encounters one of these terrors, the character must roll a 20-sided die (1d20) to see whether or not he is momentarily stunned by the sheer horror of the thing. This Horror Factor roll might be thought of as a saving throw or mental parry"

Nice.
That cleans things up nicely, I think.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Hm.

Sure
Horror Factor

Nice.

Not really, because you still have the issue of SN beings having a bonus to save vs HF in books that came out after RUE was released.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

eliakon wrote:Whenever a human/mortal encounters one of these terrors

Greetings and Salutations. Interesting. Looking into it more, BtS1 has a similar quote (only it doesn't add the "/mortal" part and leaves it specific to humans). Nightspawn has the same wording (human only).

PF2 and Dead Reign have the "human/mortal" wording, same as RUE.

From what I can tell RMB didn't have HF included (I didn't even see any HF stats for the dragons). System Failure has HF stats for the bugs, but no definition in the book that I found.

HU2 super power of Horror Factor has a similar line, but states "everyone."

I got bored looking after those books. I won't deny the wording though (as it is clearly there), but does call into question why they'd include a bonus to Save vs HF to non-mortals if they didn't need to roll. And this doesn't seem to be some odd trend started by a freelancer that just caught on, as even in BtS1 the monsters had a bonus to Save, as in Rifts Atlantis, and PF2.

Ah well, trying to.figure out why Palladium does things will only lead to headaches. Farewell and safe journeys to all.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Subjugator

The Beast wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Hm.

Sure
Horror Factor

Nice.

Not really, because you still have the issue of SN beings having a bonus to save vs HF in books that came out after RUE was released.

Also, do they define what immortality means within the context of the game? If not, then Splynncryth is mortal...they have a lifespan.

/Sub
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

The Beast wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Hm.

Sure
Horror Factor

Nice.

The best theory I have is
1) that its an internal inconsistency
or
2) that the bonus is there for comparisons
or
3) its for any save that uses the HF table but is not actually HF (for example there is a nightbane spell that specifically requires supernatural things to save vs HF...even though in nightbane they normally do not have to make such a roll.)
or of course
4) Fnord

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Prysus wrote:

Greetings and Salutations. Interesting. Looking into it more, BtS1 has a similar quote (only it doesn't add the "/mortal" part and leaves it specific to humans). Nightspawn has the same wording (human only).

From what I can tell RMB didn't have HF included (I didn't even see any HF stats for the dragons). System Failure has HF stats for the bugs, but no definition in the book that I found.

I got bored looking after those books. I won't deny the wording though (as it is clearly there), but does call into question why they'd include a bonus to Save vs HF to non-mortals if they didn't need to roll. And this doesn't seem to be some odd trend started by a freelancer that just caught on, as even in BtS1 the monsters had a bonus to Save, as in Rifts Atlantis, and PF2.

Ah well, trying to.figure out why Palladium does things will only lead to headaches. Farewell and safe journeys to all.

Ah, crap.
Thanks for looking that all up!

Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Prysus wrote:

Prysus, much appreciate the work. First thing that pops into my mind for why an otherwise HF immune being to need a bonus to save would be for the rare times that a class or race has a HF specifically directed at such beings.

My knowledge of palladium doesn't include any official ones though I did have a race of mystic warriors that had a natural HF to supernatural and magical beings in my pro-magic Coalition campaign.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Slight001 wrote:First thing that pops into my mind for why an otherwise HF immune being to need a bonus to save would be for the rare times that a class or race has a HF specifically directed at such beings.

For me, it was spells.

Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Slight001 wrote:First thing that pops into my mind for why an otherwise HF immune being to need a bonus to save would be for the rare times that a class or race has a HF specifically directed at such beings.

For me, it was spells.

good point... forgot all about the various spells and psionic ability that grant a horror factor... I blame the pain killers... damn busted elbow... I hate ice.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Boethermsbrukan
Explorer
Comment: Defiling Heir

Unread post by Boethermsbrukan »

Cheers, chummers!

Had a bit of a thought on this, and I think it would apply mostly to mutual group combat (rather than BTS/Lazlo spook squads and invididual critters or entities), but there's a concept I've come across in Warhammer Fantasy Battle and Warhammer 40,000 called Morale and the 'break test'; I don't know how the latter would fit in particularly, but I believe I'm understanding it accurately in that Morale is a collective (willpower?) representation of the entire group's mental/psychological balance and stock. If the Morale of any affected unit in a combat group is diminished to a low enough level, it can rout the entire group and change how or if it can remain in combat or do anything but shift into neutral until it can get far enough away from what caused its 'break test' or somehow regain its morale.

I don't think an exact analogue of the former would work in all play scenarios (as in other than combat) for the workings of Horror Factor effects in BTS or Rifts, but I thought it was worth tendering.

-Boe.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Killer Cyborg wrote:

For me, it was spells.

But if they're immune to HF, they'd still be immune to it caused by a spell.
Killer Cyborg
Priest

The Beast wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

For me, it was spells.

It doesn't say that they're immune to Horror Factor.

Subjugator

Killer Cyborg wrote:
The Beast wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

For me, it was spells.

Yeah...it says whenever a human/mortal encounters one of those terrors [creatures].

Given that mortality means something can die, I'd say we're in a spot where most beings can still be horrified. I doubt demons and such can though.

/Sub

Killer Cyborg
Priest

Subjugator wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

Yeah...it says whenever a human/mortal encounters one of those terrors [creatures].

Given that mortality means something can die, I'd say we're in a spot where most beings can still be horrified. I doubt demons and such can though.

/Sub

A Horror Factor isn't a creature.
Neither is a spell.

"Not being listed as being vulnerable to the Horror Factor of supernatural creatures" isn't the same as "being impervious to all Horror Factors."
Last edited by Killer Cyborg on Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Isnt there also Awe Factor? Which is the same thing as HF but on the opposite side of the spectrum? Perhaps demons X-Factor (Where X = Horror or Awe) bonus applies to when they encounter a being with Awe Factor?
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Subjugator

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Subjugator wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

/Sub

Neither is a spell.

"Not being listed as being vulnerable to the Horror Factor of supernatural creatures" isn't the same as "being impervious to all Horror Factors."

So you think the default is 'apply this rule to all situations even when it is not specified so?'

I put creatures in brackets because it seemed contextually applicable.

/Sub

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Subjugator wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Subjugator wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

/Sub

Neither is a spell.

So you think the default is 'apply this rule to all situations even when it is not specified so?'

/Sub

I would say the situation is more of
You don't roll against creatures HF, because you don't have to
You however don't get a free pass against OTHER sources of HF (like spells, events, etc) unless you ALSO have 'immune/impervious to HF"

Subjugator

eliakon wrote:
Subjugator wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:
Subjugator wrote:
Killer Cyborg wrote:

/Sub

Neither is a spell.

/Sub

I would say the situation is more of
You don't roll against creatures HF, because you don't have to
You however don't get a free pass against OTHER sources of HF (like spells, events, etc) unless you ALSO have 'immune/impervious to HF"

Um, that's what I was saying.

Also, my point about mortality was to note that creatures that don't have an infinite/indefinite lifespan (e.g. demons) are in fact mortal and wouldn't have that benefit.

/Sub

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Prysus wrote: Splugorth (some big bads of the supernatural) as well as the various Demons (Hades) and Deevils (Dyval) also have bonuses to Save vs. Horror Factor. A bonus to horror factor, by no stretch of the imagination, means impervious. It actually shows quite the contrary. Atlantis even tells us that the Splugorth "fear" dragons (Ancient Dragons in particular). So the books flat out tell us these beings DO understand fear.

For them I see it as more of an educated/rational fear. When I think of an HF fail it's like someone being unsettled/stunned. Splugorth more likely are wary but not panicked, most of the time, due to their bonuses. One can fear something without failing a roll, after all, just not be penalized by it. Like the fear of eventual death, the fear of losing someone you love, etc. You can fear a dragon wrecking your empire, raising armies against you, a long-term concern, without failing the roll :)

Heck even an Apok can feel fear if they travel off Wormwood and lose their 'confessor' powers.

eliakon wrote:Horror Factor

I don't read "a human/mortal .. must roll" as "only humans/mortals must roll". Not being explicitly mentioned as a possibility doesn't mean something isn't one. Kind of like how simultaneous attacks aren't listed in the combat example sequence but later are added as considerations. Things like Robots/Supernaturals making HF saves is like that.

At best I would take this blurb to mean that humans/mortals (not used to monsters) have to make HF saves when encountering them whereas monsters (used to each other) can probably forgoe that more often than not, except maybe when overtly threatened.

Gurgoyle entering room of Gurgoyles shouldn't set off HF, but Gurgoyle entering room of humans should, unless they were used to him.

Kagashi wrote:Isnt there also Awe Factor? Which is the same thing as HF but on the opposite side of the spectrum?
Yup, and in D+G a couple goddesses also have Beauty Factors :)
Even though it says HF bonuses can be added vs Awe, I personally ignore that, I don't think it should help at all, same with beauty. A/B should be unique threats to HF-resistant folk, that's cool beans.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Rifts®”