Dragon's Metamorphoses

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dragon Bio-Weapons

1). Yes
10%
2). No
90%

Total votes: 20

Raze_7
Explorer
Comment: "The best offense is a good defense!" - Somebody unsuccessful.

Dragon's Metamorphoses

Unread post by Raze_7 »

So, I was reading about dragons, and how they can morph to something smaller (to the size of a cat), but not larger than themselves, and they cannot morph into inanimate objects, or morph cybernetics.

However, could they morph biological weapons, such as a living gun that fired long slivers of MD bone? And, could this then be regenerated, essentially creating a weapon with limitless ammo (the basis for this idea can be found in a game called Kingdom of Liars: Episode Two, in the L'ekeling Gun)? Or, if this seems a little two hard to accept, what about a "sword" of sharpened bone?

And, yes, some of these weapons could be taken as a bit morbid, but this is an exercise of thought, not of practice (and, anyway, since magic doesn't exist as of yet, and genetic modification techniques are not as precise or sophisticated enough to create it scientifically, this would be impossible).

Anyway, this was just a little thing I thought about in my study period today, and I wanted to see what your thoughts/reactions are to this weapon. And please keep it scientific and logical, not anything like "where is the GM's option to say that no way in [insert swear word here] will I allow this?" Of course I give every right for final decision to the GMs and Palladium.

Thanks guys,
Raze
A player character Old One coould possibly be difficult to get past a GM. -Raze_7

"I've caught murderers with my questions before! Well, only once, but..." -Phoenix Wright

"Holy fire burns a hell of a lot." -Chronicle

"According to this polling data, the most popular Star Trek character after Kirk and Picard are Data." - xkcd

http://xkcd.com/1357/
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Re: Dragon's Metamorphoses

Unread post by Incriptus »

Not under normal circumstances ... but a Splicers-Dragon, might prove for an interesting concept.
Raze_7
Explorer
Comment: "The best offense is a good defense!" - Somebody unsuccessful.

Unread post by Raze_7 »

Incriptus wrote:Not under normal circumstances ... but a Splicers-Dragon, might prove for an interesting concept.

Yeah... I was thinking that I would get an overall negative response. However, I could find the picture of the weapon that inspired my ideas, just for funnies.

This could take a while, though, as everyone takes pictures of the game, and not the weapon...

If I can't find anything, I'll just take a screenshot and upload it... somehow.
A player character Old One coould possibly be difficult to get past a GM. -Raze_7

"I've caught murderers with my questions before! Well, only once, but..." -Phoenix Wright

"Holy fire burns a hell of a lot." -Chronicle

"According to this polling data, the most popular Star Trek character after Kirk and Picard are Data." - xkcd

http://xkcd.com/1357/
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Raze_7 wrote:So, I was reading about dragons, and how they can morph to something smaller (to the size of a cat), but not larger than themselves, and they cannot morph into inanimate objects, or morph cybernetics.

However, could they morph biological weapons, such as a living gun that fired long slivers of MD bone? And, could this then be regenerated, essentially creating a weapon with limitless ammo (the basis for this idea can be found in a game called Kingdom of Liars: Episode Two, in the L'ekeling Gun)? Or, if this seems a little two hard to accept, what about a "sword" of sharpened bone?

And, yes, some of these weapons could be taken as a bit morbid, but this is an exercise of thought, not of practice (and, anyway, since magic doesn't exist as of yet, and genetic modification techniques are not as precise or sophisticated enough to create it scientifically, this would be impossible).

Anyway, this was just a little thing I thought about in my study period today, and I wanted to see what your thoughts/reactions are to this weapon. And please keep it scientific and logical, not anything like "where is the GM's option to say that no way in [insert swear word here] will I allow this?" Of course I give every right for final decision to the GMs and Palladium.

Thanks guys,
Raze

If the dragon had encountered said life form previously, then in theory it could shape shift into it. However just because it looks like a gun, doesn't mean it has bullets for instance. The other question is why would a dragon deign to do such a thing. They are fairly proud beings and rather proud of the fact that they don't have to use equipment....I don't really see them as wanting to BECOME equipment.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

I think it is a yes and no answer.

Yes the Dragon's metamorphosis should allow them to create melee weapons as "claws", much the Sword Fist D-Bee in CWC/DBoNA has "sword hands". This shouldn't matter if the Dragon's shape-shifting is like the Amorph (Psycape/DBoNA) D-Bee or whole sale like the Auto-G. Though these weapons are not hand-held.

While a Dragon's metamorphosis makes it appear as another creature, I don't recall off hand if its merely a "shell" like the Amorph or an actual metamorphosis like an Auto-G or if its ever really clarified. That would really determine if it can create "ranged" bio-weapon abilities or contact poisons via metamorphosis (instead of "duplicated" via magic). Here though I'm inclined to say No, and the result is Amorph like instead of Auto-G.
Richardson
Wanderer

Unread post by Richardson »

We have always played it as just an appearance thing. As a dragon retains its regular supernatural strength, mdc, psionics, and spell like abilities it may gain no additional advantages from shape changing such as increased flight speed, additional melee damage due to sword fists, etc. However we did penalize dragons based off inappropriate forms such as run speed zero while in the form of a trout if on land.

My group has always seen hatchlings as powerful enough already. No desire on our end to grant them even more abilities. A 400 mdc jackrabbit that breathes ice was goid enough without tweaking.
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Richardson wrote:We have always played it as just an appearance thing. As a dragon retains its regular supernatural strength, mdc, psionics, and spell like abilities it may gain no additional advantages from shape changing such as increased flight speed, additional melee damage due to sword fists, etc. However we did penalize dragons based off inappropriate forms such as run speed zero while in the form of a trout if on land.

My group has always seen hatchlings as powerful enough already. No desire on our end to grant them even more abilities. A 400 mdc jackrabbit that breathes ice was goid enough without tweaking.

Makes me remember a dragon hatchling that, just a few minutes out of its egg, took the form of a little girl and failed completely at disguising her capacities when meeting her first group of mortals, a band of juicers....

"Damn, they are doing the process in KIDS now?!"
"Yup, things weren't nasty like that back when WE were norms..."

Drugs probably fried their brains long before they got the rest of the bodies. :D

But back on the topic, shapechanging into bio weaponry and expecting results sounds like trying to transform into some Splugorth's bio-wizard symbiotes and believing it might somehow turn out well... :twisted:

It should call for some very specific brand of shapeshifting to have serious chances of pulling it off. That said i think there are some races with shapechange based in DNA replication & manipulation one could start from, both in Rifts and other settings like Heroes (Aliens) Unlimited, among others...
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Dragon turned into bio weapon... Willingly, no. Dragon change its arm into a bone caster hmm, I'd have to think about that. An interesting Dragon RCC like the advanced Changling (forgot the name) from a Rifter for PFRPG.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I figured they had to mimic other species rather than come up with their own non-existing biologies.

Changing into a bio-weapon is a sketchy area, even if you could form into the shape of a bone-spitting gun I don't think you could spit bone.

This is the realm of Amorphs, if any dragon could manage it, perhaps a Chaing-Ku, but I don't know about the more limited metamoprhosis species of drags.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
SolCannibal
Champion

Tor wrote:I figured they had to mimic other species rather than come up with their own non-existing biologies.

Changing into a bio-weapon is a sketchy area, even if you could form into the shape of a bone-spitting gun I don't think you could spit bone.

I guess it depends a little if the bone-spitting gun could be counted as an alien but valid species of lifeform or not, or more importantly, if draconic shapechanging replicates a creatures biologic processes or just its external shape as perceived by its senses...

Tor wrote:This is the realm of Amorphs, if any dragon could manage it, perhaps a Chaing-Ku, but I don't know about the more limited metamoprhosis species of drags.

Where are Amorphs from - can't remember right now where i heard of them.

As an aside, "species of drags" can sound so very wrong just a little out of context... :oops:
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Where are Amorphs from - can't remember right now where i heard of them.

The Amorph D-Bee is from WB12 Psycape and reprinted/updated in WB30 D-Bees of North America. However their metamorph abilities are limited to replicating the external appearance, if one had morphed into a 1960s Ford Mustang and you opened up the hood to check out the engine you would see ectoplasm, not the engine.

The only shape shifters to my knowledge in Rifts that actually duplicate a target so completely would be an Auto-G (D-Bees of North America, IINM they are reprinted in one of the Seige on Tolkeen books and definitely in Merc Ops.) and for them to do that they need to consume DNA of the creature in question.

That said there are only a few options to get bio-weapons in Rifts:
-Splurgoth Bio-Wizardry out fits you
-learn Bio-Mancy (South America1 IIRC), though here IINM you are limited to melee weapons again (which a Dragon should be able to handle provided they are part of the body)
-Gene Tech/Splicers go to work on you (though they may or may not be able to experiment with Dragons I forget off hand)
-Necrol from Phase World, MIGHT have something like this, I know they have ranged attacks with their bio-equipment, but I don't recall specifics off hand.
-go to the Splicers world (maybe I'm not familiar with the setting).
SolCannibal
Champion

I think there's another "we replicate from DNA race of shapeshifters" in Aliens Unlimited Galaxy Guide if memory tricks me not.

Are there bio-weapons in Wormwood?
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

I see a great Rifter article coming from this.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
SolCannibal
Champion

Sureshot wrote:I see a great Rifter article coming from this.

The question is what article and by whom - there's some potential but things seem a little fuzzy yet.
To me at least but if someone is inspired and has a direction to go, i would be all in favor of it.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

SolCannibal wrote:I think there's another "we replicate from DNA race of shapeshifters" in Aliens Unlimited Galaxy Guide if memory tricks me not.

Are there bio-weapons in Wormwood?

I can't answer in relation to either book as I don't have them and haven't ever had the opportunity to flip through them.

I just finished reviewing Dragon Metamorphosis entry in RUE pg159: "A natural ability common to most dragons enabling the character to completely alter his physical shape, transforming himself to look like any living animal, from human being to cat. There are some limitations. The dragon cannot metamorphosize into inanimate objects or insects.... The metamorphosis does not instill any of the abilities of the animal, only its appearance."

So the answer is that No a Dragon can not use Metamorphosis ability to create Bio-Weapons beyond the appearance. Now that would IMHO allow them to create a melee weapon if it was part of the body (ex. "Sword Fist" D-Bee in CWC/DBoNA), but nothing like a ranged weapon a Necrol would use. Now Metamorphosis Spells (in general) are another matter as they are specifically said to "get all the inherent abilities and defenses that animal form may offer" (pg213 RUE, Metamorphosis: Animal Spell").
Subjugator
Palladium Books® Super Fan

Unread post by Subjugator »

Nah. They might be able to do it from a Bio-Wizard tank, but not by themselves.
There's a reason...and a very good one...that I have certain people in this forum blocked both here and on Facebook.

I can see an illustration of that nearly every time I come here.

Return to “Rifts®”