Best books for combat with a Net

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Best books for combat with a Net

Unread post by Incriptus »

I just had a consideration about a T-Man with a net tatoo.

Also a magic weapon tatoo is indestructable so that brings up some interesting ramifications for my net ...

I also wonder how we'd feel about a net with wings, the obvious answer is "shame on you, the net comes back but doesn't bring it's entangled target along with it" ... but wouldn't it be cool if it worked otherwise.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Best books for combat with a Net

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

I know PFRPG has a gladiator class that can take net. Aybe there is a Rifts gladiator that can too, but o don't recall one.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Incriptus wrote:I just had a consideration about a T-Man with a net tatoo.

Also a magic weapon tatoo is indestructable so that brings up some interesting ramifications for my net ...

I also wonder how we'd feel about a net with wings, the obvious answer is "shame on you, the net comes back but doesn't bring it's entangled target along with it" ... but wouldn't it be cool if it worked otherwise.

While it would indeed be cool....I would say that weapons with wings only return the weapon, and not anything else.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

might find this july discussion informative: viewtopic.php?f=39&t=144158
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Incriptus wrote:I just had a consideration about a T-Man with a net tatoo.

I had a player with a gladiator T man who had the net with wings. Basically we just made it so it would return to him when called. It was in play really effective for trapping somebody to entangle them and then he could recall the net at will to throw at somebody else. It returning to you does not bring the target back it just teleports back to your hand.

The unbreakable net is really nice you can have it removed or work to untangle yourself but you cannot just break it or cut it so its guaranteed to take you a few rounds to get free.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I always took wings to mean that it flew back to you really fast, I guess it could port though since `returns`is kinda vague and it doesn`t mention any exceptions like if someone manage to parry-grab the weapon or hold it with a magnet or create a forcefield around it.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:I always took wings to mean that it flew back to you really fast, I guess it could port though since `returns`is kinda vague and it doesn`t mention any exceptions like if someone manage to parry-grab the weapon or hold it with a magnet or create a forcefield around it.

I think it was vague for a reason myself. It allows the GM and the players to have fun defining things. Both flying and teleporting are perfectly valid options, and I can see both being used in different tattoos. The various upsides and down sides of the two methods seem to negate each other, and would, IMHO seem to be a good example of the Palladium attitude of "we won't micro-manage your game, so have plenty imagination"
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

Well I didn't find anything more indepth than the skill in GM guide (although it discribes some signifigant penalties), I'm not certain there is anything more, regardless that should do.

While looking at weapon proficiencies I was also inspired by bolas. I guess my brain wants Tatooed throwing weapons, because throwing weapons have a bad habit of being left behind or lost, and well tats done have that problem.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Q: if I give my MD throwing weapon to my SDC monkey tattoo, does he have any penalties to throw it?

Would people ever know who sent the monkey assassin?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

eliakon wrote:
Incriptus wrote:I just had a consideration about a T-Man with a net tattoo.

Also a magic weapon tattoo is indestructible so that brings up some interesting ramifications for my net ...

While it would indeed be cool....I would say that weapons with wings only return the weapon, and not anything else.

The concept of the net's use is to entangle (weapon or person) and the wing's concept is to return the tattoo weapon for reuse. There are two choice paths: 1) if something is entangled the net is still being used so the wings will ether stay till it has been disentangled or 2) will draw what/who has been entangled to the T-man.
Will Agree with Eli but the net will stay entangled till the t-man wants his net back.

Note: hand nets like those used in fighting have a leash.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Sat Dec 27, 2014 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
eliakon wrote:
Incriptus wrote:I just had a consideration about a T-Man with a net tattoo.

Also a magic weapon tattoo is indestructible so that brings up some interesting ramifications for my net ...

2nds

The concept of the net's use is to entangle (weapon or person) and the wing's concept is to return the tattoo weapon for reuse. But if something is entangled the net is still being used so the wings will ether stay till it has been disentangled or will draw what/who has been entangled to the T-man.

Sounds kind of like if a weapon with a return feature gets caught by the target kind of question.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.

Return to “Rifts®”