Veritechs in Rifts

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Raze_7
Explorer
Comment: "The best offense is a good defense!" - Somebody unsuccessful.

Veritechs in Rifts

Unread post by Raze_7 »

So, I wanted to have a Robotech RPG character in Rifts, because my new group doesn't do Robotech, and, when I read about it in the first Dimensions book, I thought, Why the hell not?! Unfortunately, I have yet to find a definite Veritech Pilot as a Rifts class that fulfills what I think that such a character should be. (I found one really close one, but I modified it a bit so that the pilot also had Jet Fighters and Air-to-Air combat, because why wouldn't a Veritech pilot know how to fight while in the jet mode?)

Anyway, if you guys have any suggestions as to where I could find this information, or anything else, such as combat strategies with Veritechs, I'd like to know.

Thanks! :-D
A player character Old One coould possibly be difficult to get past a GM. -Raze_7

"I've caught murderers with my questions before! Well, only once, but..." -Phoenix Wright

"Holy fire burns a hell of a lot." -Chronicle

"According to this polling data, the most popular Star Trek character after Kirk and Picard are Data." - xkcd

http://xkcd.com/1357/
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Veritechs in Rifts

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

There are only a handful of "veritechs" in the setting, the Kittani have a few (WB2 and DM2), Triax has one (WB7), and Naruni has a few (in multiple DB#s can't recall off hand). So tactics and strategies are going to be hard to come by w/n the setting.

So there is no actual Veritech Pilot OCC even among these users. So you are likely looking at a Robot Pilot OCC who takes the extra skills. Or a Character Rifted in (or back story to be trained by such an individual for a native), with or without hardware.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

if bringing robotech mecha into rifts, a few tips..

1st, determine how your GM wants to handle it. (are they actual robotech universe mecha? or will he go for a rifts universe copy using a rifts nuclear powerplant?)

2nd, which edition of robotech are you using? if the old edition, the notes in the 1st ed conversion book will apply. but if using the new shadow chronicles edition, those notes shouldn't apply, because the newer edition has drastically increase the power of the robotech mecha up to the same level as the current rifts material. (though the new edition of robotech has issues with low powerplant fuel duration.. that one you need to talk to your GM about)

as mentioned before.. if looking for a pure rifts veritech type vehicle, you don't have many options.
the Kittani Jet from WB2:atlantis is kinda weak, the bike from the same source is neat though. the Kittani space fighter (DB3: phase world sourcebook) is nice but perhaps a bit high powered for rifts earth games.
Triax has a sub in WB7:underseas, which if your doing an aquatic campaign would be neat, but may not be much help anywhere else.
the Naruni has a assualt bot (Mercenaries) that can switch between a egg shaped hover vehicle and a chicken walker, and a monobike-robot with plasma flame aura stuff (naruni Wave 2)
and the black market (rifts black market) has a motor bike that can deploy legs and arms, but it is kinda silly and not very cyclone like.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

why not just take the veritech pilot OCC straight out of the robotech book?
Boethermsbrukan
Explorer
Comment: Defiling Heir

Unread post by Boethermsbrukan »

Raze_7 wrote:Anyway, if you guys have any suggestions as to where I could find this information, or anything else, such as combat strategies with Veritechs, I'd like to know.

Raze, good evening!

The most significant source for integrating Robotech characters (and just as importantly mecha) is in Conversion Book One (I believe there's been a second edition of it post Rifts Ultimate Corebook; I only have the original from the early 1990s), besides doing a cut'n'pasting of the rules in the Robotech or Robotech: The Sentinels mainbooks. The actual characters and basic armour (I don't mean the Cyclones or other engine-powered suits) should not be difficult to fit in, and at the very least Veritechs, Cyclones, Destroids and other powered robot vehicles are not overly unbalanced compared to Rifts-native equipment.

The main issue with Robotech vehicles (especially the Sentinels/REF era 'tech) is that protoculture batteries are their default power source, and while protoculture can grow on Rifts Earth (but not overly close to a ley line), there is no native presence nor abundant source (if any) of protoculture, nor the technology to process the Flower Of Life into the batteries powering Cyclones and Veritechs, and the bulk of the people who understood how 'culture worked were aboard the SDF-3 (Robotech: the Sentinels timeframe and universe). If we're talking fitting in Veritech pilots with few technical skills besides their military training, they would know very little about protoculture conversion and battery charging. Robotech vehicles can be converted with some work to being nuclear powered (this is also mentioned in CB #1) but the unique nature of how the protoculture batteries works would reduce, once using a nuclear plant in place of the protoculture batteries, both their speed and responsiveness.

The specific variety of missile pods and ammunition would also have no native analogue on Rifts Earth, short of investing in a manufacturing facility that could provide custom-tooled ammunition. However, missile launchers and alternate automatic weaponry (both infantry/human sized and mech sized) could fill in with little jury-rigging when the original pod or gun ammunition was used up. I know Robotech armour was also mentioned in regards to repairs; it would be more along the lines of replacing parts than fixing the original armour piecemeal. Internal hydraulics and mode changing mechanical tech would need to be serviced as a custom job (assuming the pilot or another Rifted-in individual did not have repair skills or tools to do it).

In short, the ammunition, armour and protoculture supplies the Veritech/Cyclone/Destroid pilots have when Rifted onto Rifts Earth would be limited to whatever supply the individual mechs carried. Depending on the resources the new arrivals could round up or not, it might be prohibitively expensive to repeatedly repair and refit their 'mechs, and easier to adopt Rifts-native technology for their use.

I will add one more thing: the SDF-3 used a spacefolding technology to travel at FTL speeds, and I believe it was entertained that a Fold Drive could allow the SDF-3 to cross into other dimensions physically. If instead of Veritechs and Cyclones and their pilots being Rifted by some random event (or another Fold Drive accident) the SDF-3 ended up finishing their journey in orbit of Rifts Earth, they would probably be equipped with plenty of spare protoculture batteries, replacement ammunition and armour parts and tools, and considerable manufacturing facilities to make more of them all. That situation would allow a Rift-in from Robotech's universe a much more long-term use of their native tech.

Pretty much everything I've mentioned was in Conversion Book One, and I suspect it was reprinted in the revised Conversion Book given that I've found it nowhere else in the Rifts product line than in CB #1.

Cheers, ami, and hoping this was of some help!

-Boe.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Depending on the power level of the game, I would consider either the Kittani ATV Hover Jet (from World Book 2: Atlantis, page 155) or the Kittani Transformable Robot Fighter (from Dimension Book 2: Phase World, page 140). In either case, I'd chose one of the Phase World O.C.C.'s as the pilot who managed to get themselves to Rifts Earth. Acquiring the vehicle is relatively easy to justify in the Phase World setting due to the existence of Phase Weapons (killed the pilot, left the vehicle untouched). Did the character then buy the vehicle? Acquire it originally? Steal it and flee into a rift?

For "durability" I would consider working into the backstory (with G.M. permission) for the vehicle to have a Naruni Force Field.

For a transformable land vehicle there's also the Kittani Robot High Speed Land Skimmer from World Book 2: Atlantis, page 156.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Raze_7
Explorer

Unread post by Raze_7 »

glitterboy2098 wrote:if bringing robotech mecha into rifts, a few tips..

1st, determine how your GM wants to handle it. (are they actual robotech universe mecha? or will he go for a rifts universe copy using a rifts nuclear powerplant?)

2nd, which edition of robotech are you using? if the old edition, the notes in the 1st ed conversion book will apply. but if using the new shadow chronicles edition, those notes shouldn't apply, because the newer edition has drastically increase the power of the robotech mecha up to the same level as the current rifts material. (though the new edition of robotech has issues with low powerplant fuel duration.. that one you need to talk to your GM about)

as mentioned before.. if looking for a pure rifts veritech type vehicle, you don't have many options.
the Kittani Jet from WB2:atlantis is kinda weak, the bike from the same source is neat though. the Kittani space fighter (DB3: phase world sourcebook) is nice but perhaps a bit high powered for rifts earth games.
Triax has a sub in WB7:underseas, which if your doing an aquatic campaign would be neat, but may not be much help anywhere else.
the Naruni has a assualt bot (Mercenaries) that can switch between a egg shaped hover vehicle and a chicken walker, and a monobike-robot with plasma flame aura stuff (naruni Wave 2)
and the black market (rifts black market) has a motor bike that can deploy legs and arms, but it is kinda silly and not very cyclone like.

Ok, so the story is that she was a lost RDF pilot on the wrong Super-Dimensional Fortress, and came in on the SDF-3 (remember, it was never found, so it could have traveled through dimensions). The Fortress then crashed on Rifts Earth in much the same way that the SDF-1 crashed in the first episode of the First Robotech War, except, this time, the people inside survived, and it crashed somewhere obscure/remote/dangerous (maybe the Dinosaur Swamp or Canada). She and several other pilots were sent on a long-range scouting mission to A.) Find a region where the Flower of Life could grow, and that was large enough to provide for an orchard so that the SDF-3 could refuel itself and its army of REF Veritechs, and B.) find a supply of materials or a friendly government that would trade/give these materials in exchange for protoculture technology. She uses a Robotech RPG VF-13 Gamma Veritech (I have found the stats for that). The most important thing I'm worried about is the character and relevant skills that I should use.

And, also, if you have any strategic suggestions for using the character in and out of combat (I've thought of a few, such as Reconnaissance Aircraft, Strike Fighter, Air support, Aerial Superiority Fighter or using it like a tank to support my party's Glitter Boy), I'd love to hear them.

Also, since the Gamma has a loud-hailer, and is massive, heavily armoured, is basically a giant robot, and carries a gigantic machine gun, should it get a horror factor in Batteloid mode? Or would this just be too op? :nuke: ?

I thought that this smily looked cool.
:thwak:
A player character Old One coould possibly be difficult to get past a GM. -Raze_7

"I've caught murderers with my questions before! Well, only once, but..." -Phoenix Wright

"According to this polling data, the most popular Star Trek character after Kirk and Picard are Data." - xkcd

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

RT stuff was covered in the RCB1.
But to keep HG out of PB's backyard said text was left out of the RCB1r.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Raze_7 wrote:

Ok, so the story is that she was a lost RDF pilot on the wrong Super-Dimensional Fortress, and came in on the SDF-3 (remember, it was never found, so it could have traveled through dimensions). The Fortress then crashed on Rifts Earth in much the same way that the SDF-1 crashed in the first episode of the First Robotech War, except, this time, the people inside survived, and it crashed somewhere obscure/remote/dangerous (maybe the Dinosaur Swamp or Canada). She and several other pilots were sent on a long-range scouting mission to A.) Find a region where the Flower of Life could grow, and that was large enough to provide for an orchard so that the SDF-3 could refuel itself and its army of REF Veritechs, and B.) find a supply of materials or a friendly government that would trade/give these materials in exchange for protoculture technology. She uses a Robotech RPG VF-13 Gamma Veritech (I have found the stats for that). The most important thing I'm worried about is the character and relevant skills that I should use.

And, also, if you have any strategic suggestions for using the character in and out of combat (I've thought of a few, such as Reconnaissance Aircraft, Strike Fighter, Air support, Aerial Superiority Fighter or using it like a tank to support my party's Glitter Boy), I'd love to hear them.

Also, since the Gamma has a loud-hailer, and is massive, heavily armoured, is basically a giant robot, and carries a gigantic machine gun, should it get a horror factor in Batteloid mode? Or would this just be too op? :nuke: ?

Why would it have a HF? The gamma is smaller than a MAC II/Monster and the Triax GIANT robot and neither have an HF.

The FoL should be able to grow directly on leylines amplifying their abilities/growth and any mecha that uses protoculture and receives bonuses because of it should be amplified by the same amount granted to spells when near leylines and nexi. But that is just my house rule.

I've got one RT character that has an HF but its because she is torn and stretched into the form of a veritech releasing a psychic scream which produces the horror factor and resulted in her callsign Banshee. She is a house race called Regis Hybrid which are the offspring of two Regis experiments, figuring that the Regis implants a small portion of her genetic material into her test subjects in order to easily manipulate their genetic makeup. The Regis Hybrids are all sickly as children then the onset of puberty brings odd changes, all show some aspect of the Regis (tall, thin, bald, etc...) all can communicate telepathically all show additional "gifts" which are random. Some have superluminal flight, others have super psychic powers. Others are able to subconsciously reconfigure their own bodies to their desires. My character wanted to be like her father and mother veritech pilots her mother a strong ASC VHT pilot her father a free spirited VF pilot. She wanted the strength and freedom her parents had. The Regis Hybrid often have horrible side effects and my characters was that she became a psychic vampire. She can regain strength from devouring a lot of food but it is most easily regenerated by absorbing the psychic energy of a person. She accidentally killed her first boyfriend with a kiss and has since refrained from touching anyone.
Her mecha form looks like a giant skeletal veritech with skin stretched across its frame. Quite literally like a person stretched into the form of a veritech. She has four modes, fighter, hybrid, battloid and tank.

Interested I can send you my papers on her, just PM me.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Nox Equites
Explorer

Unread post by Nox Equites »

I think part of CB1 conversion is plain crazy. Having cyclones lose the leap auto dodge is okay, but losing an attack so the veritech is less useful than local vehicles(cutting the Gladiator 3 attks to 2 is fine)? Many of the combat bonuses are comparable to the RMB RCE skills. Dropping the speed if up armored would make sense. The biggest issue isn't the conversion of missiles but how many missiles the fighters carry. The reload cost is astronomical.

You could always just tweak the theory as to why it is a pain to have. Instead of a quirky power source, it has difficult parts to create in a gravity well. "These bearing need micro gravity to produce en mass. You'll need an operator with incredible skill to make them for you." Or maybe the transformation capabilities drastically reduce the time for nuclear power plants.

Of course some of the Southern Cross stuff has laser reflective armor and that could have the same issues as GB for repairs. Save your pennies because you need a large forcefield ASAP.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

remember the conversion book stuff is circa robotech 1st edition.. the new books don't need MDC boosting (they're already 'RUE standard'), the OCC's don't really need new skills (they already compare pretty well to rifts), etc.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Would still be fun to boost the MDC. Robotech should be best.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nox Equites wrote:I think part of CB1 conversion is plain crazy. Having cyclones lose the leap auto dodge is okay, but losing an attack so the veritech is less useful than local vehicles(cutting the Gladiator 3 attks to 2 is fine)? Many of the combat bonuses are comparable to the RMB RCE skills. Dropping the speed if up armored would make sense. The biggest issue isn't the conversion of missiles but how many missiles the fighters carry. The reload cost is astronomical.

You could always just tweak the theory as to why it is a pain to have. Instead of a quirky power source, it has difficult parts to create in a gravity well. "These bearing need micro gravity to produce en mass. You'll need an operator with incredible skill to make them for you." Or maybe the transformation capabilities drastically reduce the time for nuclear power plants.

Of course some of the Southern Cross stuff has laser reflective armor and that could have the same issues as GB for repairs. Save your pennies because you need a large forcefield ASAP.

Not laser reflective. It is ceramic not chrome. It efficiently absorbs and disburses heat like the tiles on the space shuttle or any atmospheric reentry vehicles it does not redirect the majority of the heat energy into a different direction. Because of this the laser resistant armor of RT should not be subject to VF laser weapons as the frequency doesn't matter, the armor is dealing with the biproduct of the laser strike not the laserbeam itself.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Jerell
Hero

Unread post by Jerell »

Just raid the Supervision Army SDF-1 Class gun destroyer that's part of the skyline on Atlantis now. Splynncryth might even have some protoculture hidden/stored away somewhere. You should at least be able to salvage some hyper-carbon to repair your VF-1 armor. :D
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Zer0 Kay wrote:[
Not laser reflective. It is ceramic not chrome. It efficiently absorbs and disburses heat like the tiles on the space shuttle or any atmospheric reentry vehicles it does not redirect the majority of the heat energy into a different direction. Because of this the laser resistant armor of RT should not be subject to VF laser weapons as the frequency doesn't matter, the armor is dealing with the biproduct of the laser strike not the laserbeam itself.

Just think of the demo where they heat up a cube of shuttle heatshield material white hot...then somebody holds it batehanded by the corners while the larger surface areas of the cube are still glowing. 8)
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Raze_7
Explorer

Unread post by Raze_7 »

Why would it have a HF? The gamma is smaller than a MAC II/Monster and the Triax GIANT robot and neither have an HF.

The FoL should be able to grow directly on leylines amplifying their abilities/growth and any mecha that uses protoculture and receives bonuses because of it should be amplified by the same amount granted to spells when near leylines and nexi. But that is just my house rule.

I've got one RT character that has an HF but its because she is torn and stretched into the form of a veritech releasing a psychic scream which produces the horror factor and resulted in her callsign Banshee. She is a house race called Regis Hybrid which are the offspring of two Regis experiments, figuring that the Regis implants a small portion of her genetic material into her test subjects in order to easily manipulate their genetic makeup. The Regis Hybrids are all sickly as children then the onset of puberty brings odd changes, all show some aspect of the Regis (tall, thin, bald, etc...) all can communicate telepathically all show additional "gifts" which are random. Some have superluminal flight, others have super psychic powers. Others are able to subconsciously reconfigure their own bodies to their desires. My character wanted to be like her father and mother veritech pilots her mother a strong ASC VHT pilot her father a free spirited VF pilot. She wanted the strength and freedom her parents had. The Regis Hybrid often have horrible side effects and my characters was that she became a psychic vampire. She can regain strength from devouring a lot of food but it is most easily regenerated by absorbing the psychic energy of a person. She accidentally killed her first boyfriend with a kiss and has since refrained from touching anyone.
Her mecha form looks like a giant skeletal veritech with skin stretched across its frame. Quite literally like a person stretched into the form of a veritech. She has four modes, fighter, hybrid, battloid and tank.

Really? I thought that the Coalition Atlas had an HF, but I might have been mistaken.. And, I was just thinking that, if the Veritech used it's loud-hailer on a puny human, and maybe pointed its massive gun-pod at said human, it might at least get a bonus to intimidate. Also, my character has Gigantism, so she's about 9 ft tall without the robot, and her Veritech has been modified accordingly.

CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

taalismn wrote:
Just think of the demo where they heat up a cube of shuttle heatshield material white hot...then somebody holds it batehanded by the corners while the larger surface areas of the cube are still glowing. 8)

I had never seen that before, that is seriously cool!!
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

CyCo wrote:
taalismn wrote:

Really? really? your gonna use "seriously cool"? I suppose that pun was not intended? :)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Raze_7 wrote:

Really? I thought that the Coalition Atlas had an HF, but I might have been mistaken.. And, I was just thinking that, if the Veritech used it's loud-hailer on a puny human, and maybe pointed its massive gun-pod at said human, it might at least get a bonus to intimidate. Also, my character has Gigantism, so she's about 9 ft tall without the robot, and her Veritech has been modified accordingly.

Uh Veritech = Giant Robot which most people have seen. There are far scarier monsters on RE than a giant in a giant suit. UEEF wouldn't make a one off for one person just because they're a giant. If your a giant you get Zentradi gear but your too short to be a Zentradi so you can strap on some spare metal. The UEEF would employ a 9' tall human as a pilot. Like every other military they would have limits both size and height for their fighter pilots. That being said since your completely uncanon anyway, it doesn't matter.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

taalismn wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:[

Exactly the video I was thinking of.
CyCo
Hero

Unread post by CyCo »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
CyCo wrote:
taalismn wrote:

Really? really? your gonna use "seriously cool"? I suppose that pun was not intended? :)

Err....yep. Lets go with that. 8p
Eureka!
I Want Rifts : Australia II & III...!!
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

Given how Rifts Earth tends to interact with things, and the biomechanical nature of mecha, I wouldn't be surprised if a veritech in Rifts became somewhat organitech, developing self-healing and missile regeneration.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
FreelancerMar
Adventurer

Unread post by FreelancerMar »

hrmmm
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Mark Hall wrote:Given how Rifts Earth tends to interact with things, and the biomechanical nature of mecha, I wouldn't be surprised if a veritech in Rifts became somewhat organitech, developing self-healing and missile regeneration.

Yup, have no idea why they tried the FoL not near leylines thing except to handicap ET mecha further and give riifts giant robots rule of cool my deus ex machina.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

FreelancerMar wrote:hrmmm

indeed
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

Raze_7 wrote:

Some thoughts:

Using a Robotech based OCC would be the easiest, yes some of the skills don't transfer perfectly but it is better than trying to shoe horn a Rifts OCC into it.

HF was talked about, Robotech Veritechs aren't so bad. No HF is really needed. Though the horrors of Rifts Earth my warrant the RDF people having to constantly make HF checks or lose their minds.

Usually Veritechs have low armor because they are fast and maneuverable, IE they dodge a lot. Maybe even should have Auto-Dodge in a Rifts setting. They are glass cannons, they can fire a lot and fire a lot of missiles, but can't really take a lot of hits. They are also huge compared to most other vehicles, so they make a very large target. I would highly recommend either they having auto-dodge or more attacks so they can dodge a lot.

Speaking of missiles, they aren't the same as missiles in Rifts earth. RT uses a lot of missiles, and resupplying those missiles won't be easy.

I would be very careful about having a whole SDF-X showing up in Rifts Earth. Something like that can really alter the game a lot. Unless you mean to build the whole campaign around that one character you may want to have a more limited (smaller ship) or have him be the lone survivor with some supplies he can use for a little bit.

Lastly, the practical down sides for having a RT character in Rifts earth can be a bit overwhelming. But it can be super fun to role-play out of those situations and down sides. I would look to Third Robotech War (The New Generation) as inspiration. They have to really scramble to keep their equipment up and running.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

RT equipment with HF.
SDF-x in battloid mode
Zentradi fleet
UEEF fleet
Monster bombardment from several monsters, the volume of explosives more so than the Monsters.
An SDF's airwing coming back for another attack 30 minutes after you just saw it take out all of Chi-town with Reflex multi-warheads

What is this crap I keep hearing about the rick and everyone wouldn't blow away chitown because of innocents? They did it to Dolza's commandship not knowing what side everyone side is on. They did the same to RM city ships and they were gonna toast all of Earth because of the Invid, and Rifts Earth is far more infested with monsters than RT:NG Earth was. Gloval would destroy Chitown because Prosek is a despot. Leonard may have sided with the CS but would have tried to eliminate Prosek after allying with the CS then blame it on rebellious mutant animals. Rick would declare that the Burn Earth policy needed to be implemented after finding out about all the horrible aliens or would destroy chitown after finding out that Prosek is no better than Edwards, Lisa on the other hand would send a bunch of assassins out to kill Erin Tarn just because she saw Rick looking at the fake picture of her in the bathing suit that was done by fans in Germany, then she'd destroy Prosek for not liking her newfound sororitus of Praxis.
Last edited by Zer0 Kay on Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

Zer0 Kay wrote:RT equipment with HF.
SDF-x in battloid mode
Zentradi fleet
UEEF fleet
Monster bombardment from several monsters, the volume of explosives more so than the Monsters.
An SDF's airwing coming back for another attack 30 minutes after you just saw it take out all of Chi-town with Reflex multi-warheads

What is this crap I keep hearing about the rick and everyone wouldn't blow away chitown because of innocents? They did it to Dolza's commandship not knowing what side everyone side is on. They did the same to RM city ships and they were gonna toast all of Earth because of the Invid, and Rifts Earth is far more infested with monsters than RT:NG Earth was.

While this is way off topic, I don't know if they would nuke Chi-Town. They might actually agree with the CS. Nuking the vampires, Gargoyle and Splugorth. In a heart beat. Nuke away! Though if they came out of fold space in orbit, they would have to deal with all the crap up there.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

No reason not to allow veritechs if you want to have some poor veritech pilot wind up on rifts earth. The problem will pretty quickly be resupply and will likely wind up with the pilots not sticking with the veritech for long. As they found after the invid invasion its hard to keep veritechs running without good supply lines. Some models especially older destroids used fusion engines but the veritechs used protoculture and that will be unlikely to last them to long. Also most of the veritechs are very munition based weapon focused with their main cannons and missiles. They have healthy supplies of ammo but finding locally made stuff that you can retro fit for use is going to be time consuming and expensive. Also given their unique make finding somebody who can make more than superficial armor repairs is going to be a long term challenge.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

FatherMorpheus wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:RT equipment with HF.
SDF-x in battloid mode
Zentradi fleet
UEEF fleet

What is this crap I keep hearing about the rick and everyone wouldn't blow away chitown because of innocents? They did it to Dolza's commandship not knowing what side everyone side is on. They did the same to RM city ships and they were gonna toast all of Earth because of the Invid, and Rifts Earth is far more infested with monsters than RT:NG Earth was.

While this is way off topic, I don't know if they would nuke Chi-Town. They might actually agree with the CS. Nuking the vampires, Gargoyle and Splugorth. In a heart beat. Nuke away! Though if they came out of fold space in orbit, they would have to deal with all the crap up there.

You forget, besides Lenonard the UEEF and UEDF like aliens. Lisa going so far as to become the ambassador to the Sentinel races. Leonard is a xenophobe warhawk. But Rick, Gloval and even Lisa aren't afraid of genocide of an enemy or obliteration of forces to include women and children, even if it requires major casualties of civilians.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

kaid wrote:No reason not to allow veritechs if you want to have some poor veritech pilot wind up on rifts earth. The problem will pretty quickly be resupply and will likely wind up with the pilots not sticking with the veritech for long. As they found after the invid invasion its hard to keep veritechs running without good supply lines. Some models especially older destroids used fusion engines but the veritechs used protoculture and that will be unlikely to last them to long. Also most of the veritechs are very munition based weapon focused with their main cannons and missiles. They have healthy supplies of ammo but finding locally made stuff that you can retro fit for use is going to be time consuming and expensive. Also given their unique make finding somebody who can make more than superficial armor repairs is going to be a long term challenge.

Veritechs from Macross and SC eras and iirc destroods of macross era per RT1E had protoculture reactors with 20 year lifespans. RT2E iirc only has the NG mecha use protoculture. In any case it isn't to difficult to use a large robot hand held weapon. Missiles as well can be retrofitted to the less efficient Rifts missiles. All of the 20 yr RT1E times were estimates, how many protoculture furnaces did they run for 20 years before putting them into the first veritech, was there even time?

If the protoculture furnaces are enhanced by they magic of RE maybe they're also recharged by it.
Raze_7
Explorer

Unread post by Raze_7 »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Raze_7 wrote:

Uh Veritech = Giant Robot which most people have seen. There are far scarier monsters on RE than a giant in a giant suit. UEEF wouldn't make a one off for one person just because they're a giant. If your a giant you get Zentradi gear but your too short to be a Zentradi so you can strap on some spare metal. The UEEF would employ a 9' tall human as a pilot. Like every other military they would have limits both size and height for their fighter pilots. That being said since your completely uncanon anyway, it doesn't matter.

It's never stated that they didn't. Remember, Max Sterling got a custom Veritech (admittedly, not that custom). And, I've noticed that, no matter their differences in height while standing, people are generally of similar heights while sitting-down.

And, this is just a game. You don't have to get snobby about "canon" and "non-canon"! Rifts is supposed to be a world where "anything can happen." (Kevin Siembieda, Rifts: Ultimate Edition).

Remember, anything expanded-universe on Star Wars is non-canon (according to Disney)!
Last edited by Raze_7 on Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Raze_7
Explorer

Unread post by Raze_7 »

FatherMorpheus wrote:
Raze_7 wrote:

Some thoughts:

Using a Robotech based OCC would be the easiest, yes some of the skills don't transfer perfectly but it is better than trying to shoe horn a Rifts OCC into it.

HF was talked about, Robotech Veritechs aren't so bad. No HF is really needed. Though the horrors of Rifts Earth my warrant the RDF people having to constantly make HF checks or lose their minds.

Usually Veritechs have low armor because they are fast and maneuverable, IE they dodge a lot. Maybe even should have Auto-Dodge in a Rifts setting. They are glass cannons, they can fire a lot and fire a lot of missiles, but can't really take a lot of hits. They are also huge compared to most other vehicles, so they make a very large target. I would highly recommend either they having auto-dodge or more attacks so they can dodge a lot.

Speaking of missiles, they aren't the same as missiles in Rifts earth. RT uses a lot of missiles, and resupplying those missiles won't be easy.

I would be very careful about having a whole SDF-X showing up in Rifts Earth. Something like that can really alter the game a lot. Unless you mean to build the whole campaign around that one character you may want to have a more limited (smaller ship) or have him be the lone survivor with some supplies he can use for a little bit.

Lastly, the practical down sides for having a RT character in Rifts earth can be a bit overwhelming. But it can be super fun to role-play out of those situations and down sides. I would look to Third Robotech War (The New Generation) as inspiration. They have to really scramble to keep their equipment up and running.

I am actually planning to ask my GM about the whole SDF-3 thing, buuuttt, it was recommended in the Dimensions book, and I thought that that story made the most sense.

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Raze_7 wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Raze_7 wrote:

It's never stated that they didn't. Remember, Max Sterling got a custom Veritech (admittedly, not that custom). And, I've noticed that, no matter their differences in height while standing, people are generally of similar heights while sitting-down.

And, this is just a game. You don't have to get snobby about "canon" and "non-canon"! Rifts is supposed to be a world where "anything can happen." (Kevin Siembieda, Rifts: Ultimate Edition).

Remember, anything expanded-universe on Star Wars is non-canon (according to Disney)!

:roll: what are you 15? Don't have a cow. I take it your butt hurt about me saying it doesn't matter because your uncanon anyway? Let me put it this way, its a game it doesn't matter. Why are you so upset about being noncanon anyway?

It doesn't need to be stated. They didn't make upped veritechs for Zentradi who didn't want to pilot fragile battlepods they didn't make larger veritechs for Karbaronites or Praxians. The aviation fan boys of Macross and by association the design element of RT Macross era wouldn't rewright military doctrine. Never mind that the purpose of The height and weight limits are distance between seat and pedals more than seat and canopy. Weight is figured into the aircrafts weight and balance.

Yup, following RT canon doesn't matter to PB, Kevin would love to officially break it so they loose the license, that being said he wouldn't stifle your creativity either. Again it doesn't matter what you do none of it is canon. What does matter is what your GM allows.

What does Star Wars have to do with anything? Are you playing Star Wars now? Oh your a Wookie in Veritech. What? You opened the door.

Play, have fun, just don't think your following anywhere near RT canon. Non canon ship, unlikely military expenses to either make a one of a kind mecha that has extremely limited reproduction use OR a HEAVILY modified cockpit and other locations to account for balance to a prototype that has some chance of seeing mass production.

Thinking your character concept is cool... Is cool. Taking pride in your character being accurate to the RT universe, is misplaced. IF your getting mad at me because I said it isn't canon and pointing out why it isn't likely to happen... that would be immature.

So assuming it is something else... have fun playing your non-canonical character. Hopefully as much as I have playing mine. :)

Warning: Inflammatory language. Mack
taalismn
Priest

Zer0 Kay wrote:[What does Star Wars have to do with anything? Are you playing Star Wars now? Oh your a Wookie in Veritech. . :)

Please, Wookies dislike veritechs because their fur gets caught in the canopy closures and the cabin pressurization vents. Plus the bio-feedback from the somatic controls isn't enough to truly convey the proper feeling of ripping the legs off AT-ATs and beating them to death with their own limbs.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

one thing is that I wouldn't drop a SDF on earth especially not the SDF-3 as there is too much power there IMO because frankly they could destroy anything on earth... want to get rid of CHI town... fire the reflex cannon and wipe it off the map, leaving a crater.

don't want to use the reflex cannon, well they still have numerous other weapons that while they won't insta kill something the size of chi town they can still dish out thousands of MDC per melee.
24 missile bays with typically reflex multiwarhead missiles vollies of up to 8 per bay and there are 24 bays with 104 missiles each... a bunch of smaller guns and then the mecha, AND it has a factory onboard that can make more stuff..

it would be better to use something like an izuki command carrier, a garfish, or a horizont transport if you want to limit their resources.

heck even a horizont transport fully loaded carries ~600 tons of stuff if both transport pods/bunkers are full. plus the attached alpha+beta fighter, and 12 cyclones.

I can suggest a non canon explanation for anything that doesn't have independent fold capability..

I use the explanation that weapons with the "reflex" descriptor work on the principles of "mistuned fold drives" IE they attempt to trigger a fold out on their target but without destination coordinates being set. so the "destination" is random, this can be another dimension, a very long way away, in the middle of a star or similar hostile environment.
taalismn
Priest

guardiandashi wrote:one thing is that I wouldn't drop a SDF on earth especially not the SDF-3 as there is too much power there IMO because frankly they could destroy anything on earth... want to get rid of CHI town... fire the reflex cannon and wipe it off the map, leaving a crater.

don't want to use the reflex cannon, well they still have numerous other weapons that while they won't insta kill something the size of chi town they can still dish out thousands of MDC per melee.

Reflex cannons can always be queered for dramatic effect. Building your plan around them, then having the status lights beginning to go sour a few minutes from the plan climaxing, forcing the characters to either critically delay firing while they run another check to see if everything's in the green, or go ahead, fire anyway, and take their chances with some, possibly terminal, malfunction.
And odds are, there's not enough spare parts or skill on hand for a total rebuild of the weapon(s).
The cause? Could be bizarre energy field effects, or an alien microbe that just happens to find certain exotic compounds in exposed systems absolutely tasty. or microfractures in certain key elements, thanks to prior battle damage.
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

why would it have to be the SDF-3 though? plenty of other ships could go missing. a Garfish on rifts earth wouldn't effect too much for example. (aside from being a full starship, a garfish is about on par with a Coalition Death's head or firestorm fortress in terms of power)

if you want a bigger ship, try an Ikazuchi.. just make sure it can never fly again after it lands. :)

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

In my campaignworld, a garfish was forced to land in the Dino swamps, where they turned it into a fortress, the basis of a colony.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
taalismn
Priest

Vertically- or horizontally-crashed (human-converted) Zentraedi warships also make for great wreck-fortresses, especially after they get overgrown a bit. :bandit:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

taalismn wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:[What does Star Wars have to do with anything? Are you playing Star Wars now? Oh your a Wookie in Veritech. . :)

Please, Wookies dislike veritechs because their fur gets caught in the canopy closures and the cabin pressurization vents. Plus the bio-feedback from the somatic controls isn't enough to truly convey the proper feeling of ripping the legs off AT-ATs and beating them to death with their own limbs.

But the Moks can't handle it in general and tend to flip out and rip the controls out in frustration.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

taalismn wrote:

I'd bring up AT-STs but... your just making a joke... Except the canopy part , that would suck.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

glitterboy2098 wrote:why would it have to be the SDF-3 though? plenty of other ships could go missing. a Garfish on rifts earth wouldn't effect too much for example. (aside from being a full starship, a garfish is about on par with a Coalition Death's head or firestorm fortress in terms of power)

if you want a bigger ship, try an Ikazuchi.. just make sure it can never fly again after it lands. :)

probably for the purpose of producing protoculture and munitions.
taalismn
Priest

Zer0 Kay wrote:
taalismn wrote:

I'd bring up AT-STs but... your just making a joke... Except the canopy part , that would suck.

Hammer-throw AT-STs. A few whirls, then let go.... :twisted:
-------------

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

I love this topic. There are plenty of aspects to roll Robotech in to Rifts:

- The already mentioned "SDF-1" super structure in the Atlantis skyline: Although most on this site do not consider art to be canon, I have used this as a plot device to show that the Splugorth have not only the knowledge of Robotech Earth, but have studied it's culture and copied technologies. They use it as a mega defense weapon from the likes of rival Splugorth, Naruni, and the Mechanoids.
- The Tirolians and the True Atlantean share Greek-like backgrounds: In my world, the Tirolians are a lost colony of True Atlanteans who discovered the Flower of Life and cultivated it into Protoculture and resorting to cloning technologies as opposed to Stone Magic, Tattoo Magic, and such. It was the Tirolians and their union of machine and man which spawned the Mechanoids prior to the creation of the Zentraedi (which subsequently mutated/evolved into the race that fought the Kittani so many years ago).
-Kittani technology, organic design in nature, could have been influenced by Robotechnology and has mastered not only organic like designs (serpent, crab, dino, etc...) but has also mastered transformable technologies (as mentioned as examples in previous posts). Note: it is of note that I treat Protoculture as just another source of mystical energy (known in Rifts as PPE). This means robotechnology is nothing more than what Rifts Earth's folks call Techno-Wizardry. Likewise, anything that detects magic would detect a protoculture powered device and Invid protoculture sensors would likewise sense magic items, the supernatural, and magic users.
-Not to be outdone by their inter-dimensional rivals, the Naruni could have acquired a suit of Cyclone armor and reverse engineered it into the Sun Chariot...cyclones with Naruni upgrades.
- The Invid and the Splugorth could have traded with one another in the past, however the Invid do not take the fact that Atlantean's reside with the Splugorth lightly and associate their hate of the Robotech Masters with the True Atlanteans. This is why the Regis has not bothered to venture to Rifts Earth and cultivate the Flower of Life, despite a Rift connecting New Opteria and Rifts South America (I forget and cannot find the reference in Rifts SA that mentioned a rift to a world with crab-like mecha).

Using this, you can simply use a standard Veritech pilot from Robotech Earth. Otherwise if you wanted to use a character ingenious to Rifts Earth who pilots transformable mecha, simply make a Robot Pilot and give him one of the transformable mecha others have suggested in previous posts. The skills work out just fine.

Veritechs for the most part find their strength in versatility. They can get to a place faster than a Rifts SAMAS, and transform to hold the territory like an infantry man. But as a pound for pound fighter, Rifts tech generally does more damage and take more damage than its Robotech counterparts (2nd Edition closes the gap a little better), so be aware of taking too much damage at any one time and be ready to use that speed and range to your advantage.

But really, airborne Veritechs do not really fit in very well with the theme of Rifts. Their range and speed can close geographic gaps which are supposed to separate major pockets of civilization. I'd recommend ground based Robotechnology like Hover Tanks, Cyclones, Silverbacks, Destroids, Battloids, or Southern Cross Power Armors for use in Rifts Earth. Airborne Veriteichs could very well change the face of Rifts, unless of course this is what you might be going for.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

taalismn wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
taalismn wrote:

Hammer-throw AT-STs. A few whirls, then let go.... :twisted:

Cookies can't hammer throw or caber toss an AT-ST. Although, now that you mention it they do look like hammers

Return to “Rifts®”