Top 5 Most Versatile Characters

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Top 5 Most Versatile Characters

Unread post by RiftJunkie »

Just looking to see everyone's opinion on their Top 5 Most Versatile Characters. Please post why you think a character makes the list, especially if it's versatile is "off the beaten path". Versatile doesn't have to be in skills only, it could include social situations, combat ability or whatever you think makes for versatility.

Mine are probably:
Techno Wizard - Magic and Tech. good skills, psi and magic. hard to go wrong here.
Cyber Knight - Skills, combat and trust/social factor. higher levels of psionic ability helps too.
Rogue Scholar - Huge skills, lore, history. Psionics can enhance as well.
Mystic Knight - Versatile mostly in a combat sorta way. imperv to energy, charge own e-clips, magic, psi, tech.
Goose Steppin CS Grunt - Universally loved and respected throughout the Megaverse! :twisted:

I just listed OCC. Races could be cool combinations with OCC or standalones too! Let's see your list!
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Top 5 Most Versatile Characters

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

N&S the class that deals with gadget creation and the sub category of the class that allows a martial art.
Martial arts + skill monster + Nightspawn
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Actually, a dreamer gizmoteer is not a skill monster, given that most of his skills come from his gizmoteering program, he's relatively limited in scope.

Me, I love the Pantheons Demigod... an OCC of choice+ magic or psionics, possibly magic AND psionics (and fair skills if you chose the OCC well)...
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Dreamer Gizmoteers can swap martial arts powers for skill programs, iirc.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Svartalf
Champion

Yes they can, limited to basic programs, no physical skills... but that decreases the value of taking martial arts.
(though that's a move most of my N&S characters make, I luv skillz more than martial powers)
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Shifter O.C.C. - Lots of spells and can summon minions to make up for his or her own deficiencies.
Demigod R.C.C. - A good selection of powers and a full OCC. If the GM allows, an RCC too.
Robot R.C.C. - Need a skill? Just download it and you're golden.
Dragon Hatchling R.C.C. - Shape shifting, psionics, magic, and supernatural toughness. Befriend a Rogue Scholar to shore up the skill deficiency and there you go.
Vagabond O.C.C. - Nobody suspects a vagabond... which gives this character the perfect opportunity to unleash his or her three major and three minor superpowers.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Psi-Tech: Solid technical skills, decent psychic selection, can pilot dang near anything (including PA or robots). There's a ton of different ways to play this character.
Robot RCC - with the right skill packages it can have a massive number of skills, plus you can take it any direction you want. Combat behemoth? No problem. Explorer/Adventurer? No problem. Non-combat geek? No problem.
Mystic - a little bit of everything with this guy.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Dop-elpoep- has the ability to make plant based doppelgangers of people with skills two levels below the level of the orginal.
Ninja TW- Magic and Tech with martial arts
rouge scholar well rounded skills.
CS special forces-combat with stealth skills.
Super spies-spies with either magic, psionic or super powers.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

Agree that Techno Wiz, Rogue Scholar/Scientist and CyberKnight are very versatile OCCs.

Operators are very useful, both the psychic and non-psychic versions.

Ley Line Walkers are surprisingly versatile, both with their spells and skills which can often complement each other.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

For magic: The Mystic Study from HU2. The power cat text is written up with the assumption it is a generalized mage like the wizard class in PF, but there is no text that says that they have to take invocation spells. So they can specialize in what magic they take. There is text that says they can take the powers of a specialized class like a TW, LLW or chi mage as a easy made specialization text.

For a builder char: The Dreamer Gizmoteer. N&S.

For the most versatile PCC: 'The Psychic' class from the NS/NB main book. They have everyday skills and they know no bounderies between normal and super psionics. (Side-note: and their class skill set makes a generic skills set.)

The DemiGod char from RCB2 is a good versatile char type in that these chars can be just about any class.

The Robot (android) char type from the HU power cat or the class from the RSB1/RSBr is versatile in that you can take it in any Mundane direction.

The Agent class from N&S also can be a skills dragon (having a plethora of skills) thus can fit into different rolls into a team or as a 007 type loner agent.

While I don't totally disagree with including Dragons (Hatchlings) as a Versatile char type I don't agree with their inclusion.

I would not include NS or NB as versatile, even thought they are very variable from char to char.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Temporal Wizard - The spell selection can be tailored to whatever the party needs most and their knowledge of other dimensions (and the ability to cast dimensional portal) gives them access to resources beyond what is locally available.

Psi-Tech - good solid skills and powers that always come in handy, especially if you have access to alien tech (perhaps via your friend, the Temporal Wizard).

Mind Bleeder - knowledge is power and these guys have powers that let them probe and manipulate the minds of others in far more subtle ways than the more common master psionic.

Super Powered Adventurers (Vagabonds, Wilderness Scouts, Rogue Scientists, City Rats, etc) - careful power selection can make one of these characters extremely versatile (or focused, if that's what you want).

Goblin Cobblers - being able to metamorph at will into a variety of small animals is super useful.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Svartalf wrote:Yes they can, limited to basic programs, no physical skills... but that decreases the value of taking martial arts.
(though that's a move most of my N&S characters make, I luv skillz more than martial powers)

Dude one of those skill packages as narrow as it may be makes them more skilltastic the most highend rifts characters.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Glistam wrote:Shifter O.C.C. - Lots of spells and can summon minions to make up for his or her own deficiencies.
Demigod R.C.C. - A good selection of powers and a full OCC. If the GM allows, an RCC too.
Dragon Hatchling R.C.C. - Shape shifting, psionics, magic, and supernatural toughness. Befriend a Rogue Scholar to shore up the skill deficiency and there you go.
Vagabond O.C.C. - Nobody suspects a vagabond... which gives this character the perfect opportunity to unleash his or her three major and three minor superpowers.

I must have had a brain fart. I forgot about Demi-gods. Ooops. :roll:

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:For magic: The Mystic Study from HU2. The power cat text is written up with the assumption it is a generalized mage like the wizard class in PF, but there is no text that says that they have to take invocation spells. So they can specialize in what magic they take. There is text that says they can take the powers of a specialized class like a TW, LLW or chi mage as a easy made specialization text.

For the most versatile PCC: 'The Psychic' class from the NS/NB main book. They have everyday skills and they know no bounderies between normal and super psionics. (Side-note: and their class skill set makes a generic skills set.)

The DemiGod char from RCB2 is a good versatile char type in that these chars can be just about any class.

The Robot (android) char type from the HU power cat or the class from the RSB1/RSBr is versatile in that you can take it in any Mundane direction.

The Agent class from N&S also can be a skills dragon (having a plethora of skills) thus can fit into different rolls into a team or as a 007 type loner agent.

While I don't totally disagree with including Dragons (Hatchlings) as a Versatile char type I don't agree with their inclusion.

I would not include NS or NB as versatile, even thought they are very variable from char to char.

Thanks, I never picked up on being able to specialize with an HU2 Mage. That should be fun! :-D

flatline wrote:Temporal Wizard - The spell selection can be tailored to whatever the party needs most and their knowledge of other dimensions (and the ability to cast dimensional portal) gives them access to resources beyond what is locally available.

Psi-Tech - good solid skills and powers that always come in handy, especially if you have access to alien tech (perhaps via your friend, the Temporal Wizard).

Mind Bleeder - knowledge is power and these guys have powers that let them probe and manipulate the minds of others in far more subtle ways than the more common master psionic.

Super Powered Adventurers (Vagabonds, Wilderness Scouts, Rogue Scientists, City Rats, etc) - careful power selection can make one of these characters extremely versatile (or focused, if that's what you want).

Goblin Cobblers - being able to metamorph at will into a variety of small animals is super useful.

--flatline

I love Temporal Wizards, especially when combined with a Chaing-Ku hatchling. Lots of options! :lol:
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

I also overlook the Robot or Android OCC/RCC.
Psi-Tech and Gizmoteers (N&S and Amaki) are pretty good and somewhat underrated.
Mind Bleeders are cool, but I think I prefer the Psi-Slayer. They get Bleeder powers too.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

RiftJunkie wrote:
Glistam wrote:Shifter O.C.C. - Lots of spells and can summon minions to make up for his or her own deficiencies.

I must have had a brain fart. I forgot about Demi-gods. Ooops. :roll:

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:For magic: The Mystic Study from HU2. The power cat text is written up with the assumption it is a generalized mage like the wizard class in PF, but there is no text that says that they have to take invocation spells. So they can specialize in what magic they take. There is text that says they can take the powers of a specialized class like a TW, LLW or chi mage as a easy made specialization text.

Thanks, I never picked up on being able to specialize with an HU2 Mage. That should be fun! :-D

flatline wrote:Temporal Wizard - The spell selection can be tailored to whatever the party needs most and their knowledge of other dimensions (and the ability to cast dimensional portal) gives them access to resources beyond what is locally available.

--flatline

I love Temporal Wizards, especially when combined with a Chaing-Ku hatchling. Lots of options! :lol:

Night don't have to take their RCCs they just can't take a psychic class.
Secondhand Smoke
Explorer
Comment: Dear life, when i said "can my life get any worse" it was a rhetorical question not a challenge

Unread post by Secondhand Smoke »

Reids Ranger Vampire Hunter.
The skillset is incredible.

Sea Inquisitor with Rogue Scientist. Can do and does do everything.

Tolkeen Artifact Hunter. Strong Magic, Strong Base skillset and can still summon.

Demi God as mentioned previously.

Cyber Knight. (As a side note I have no idea why a few posters have such a dislike to this occ, it is fantastic)

Momano HeadHunter.

Psi Tech as has been mentioned, and I would also like to add Psi Ghost too. Both have fantastic powers that compliment their strong skillsets.
Insert philosophical quote here
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Demi-God
Cyber-Knight
Momano Headhunter
Lay line Walker
Mystic
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Richardson
Wanderer

Unread post by Richardson »

1. Sea Inquisitor (WB7)
2. Fallen Cosmo-Knight (DB2)
3. The Slayer (WB18)
4. Psi-Tech (WB12)
5. Techno-Wizard (RUE)
Fermat
Explorer

Unread post by Fermat »

It may have other flaws, but no one mentioned the skill monkey in chief: the Natural Genius (HU). +1d6+6 IQ, 10 skill programs to begin with, most with a 30+% boost, 12 secondary, and the ability to go over 100%, not too bad. That's without any non-canon tinkering.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Gizmoteer-nightspawn is the reason most people I know won't play rifts. Not the specific combo, but the idea of combining 3 game types to make one character. Rifts takes some serious intestinal fortitude.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Svartalf wrote:Yes they can, limited to basic programs, no physical skills... but that decreases the value of taking martial arts.

Dude one of those skill packages as narrow as it may be makes them more skilltastic the most highend rifts characters.

I always love looking at this guys skill list ... sometimes I fantasize about the Rifter 37's option to dual class, this guy with mutant powers, good times.

N&SS Operative Agent
2 Espionage
2 Military
2 Gizmoteer
1 Basic (in exchange for martial art power)

Basic
Basic Math
Read/Write English
Speak English

Bodyguard/Assassin
Detect Ambush +10
Detect Concealment +15
Sniper
Tracking +10
WP: Assault Rifle
WP: Sub Machine Gun
WP: Machine Gun

Deep Cover
Disguise +20
Escape Artist +15
Forgery +15
Imitate Voices +10
Impersonation +15
Photography +10
Radio Basic +15
W.P. Pistol
Boxing
Gymnastics

Electronic Warfare
Basic Electronics +10
Electronic Counter-Measures +25
Laser Communications +20
Optic Systems +15
Radar-Sonar Operations +20
Radio Basic +25
Radio Scramblers +30
Read Sensory Equipment +15
Surveillance Systems +15

Helicopter Aviation
Helicopter Mechanics +15
Basic Helicopter +20
Combat Helicopter +10
Automobile +5
Professional Race Car +5
Offensive Driving +5
Motor Boat +5
Airplane +5
Navigation +5
W.P. Infantry Missiles
W.P. Grenade
W.P. Vehicle Mounted Weapons

Computer Hacking
Computer Operations +20
Computer Networks +25
Computer Programming +25
Computer Repair +10
Cryptography +10
Basic Math +10
Super Computers +25

Lock Smith & Security System
Demolitions +10
Demolitions Disposal +5
Electronic Engineering +15
Locksmith +20
Mechanical Engineering +10
Pick Locks + 20
Safe-Cracking +6

Languages
Chinese +10
Russian +10
Arabic +10
German +10
Spanish +10

Secondary
Running
Swimming
Climbing
Wilderness Survival
Cook
First Aid
Dance

Martial Arts
Japanese
Calligraphy
Go
Zen

P.S. he doesn't have prowl because he has the martial art power Art of Stealth.
Svartalf
Champion

Alrik Vas wrote:Gizmoteer-nightspawn is the reason most people I know won't play rifts. Not the specific combo, but the idea of combining 3 game types to make one character. Rifts takes some serious intestinal fortitude.

As a GM, I don't accept night spawns in a Rifts game... they belong to a separate set of dimensions and the night lords don't appear there either.
wadou25
D-Bee

Unread post by wadou25 »

In my opinion the most versatile occs r.....1. Ronin Samurai they can embrace tech nd still use their sword. 2. The mystic for sure psi nd magic together says versatility to me all day. 3. Tattooed man each tattoo is versatile 4. Techno Wizard as listed above 5. The mystic knight
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Kremin Cyborg (DBees of NA version). You essentially get to be a partial or full conversion borg and pick an OCC.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Rifts Japan Demon Queller. I have a player playing one and they a pretty cool with what they can do. M.D.C. To fight Oni, martial arts powers, fair skill selection. So far a great class and one I would want to play in the future.

Atlantean Undead Slayer, great power house for fighting the supernatural, decent skill selection, and versatile powers through the right selection of tattoos.

Phase Mystic, phase powers what more can I say.

Temporal Warrior. I like these guys that combine warrior and some magic, okay skill selection, but good in the warrior aspect for W.P.'s, HTH.

In Palladium Fantasy I played a half wizard Ogre form M.o.M. He was mercenary warrior with a God selection of spells. I really enjoyed that character.
ImageImage
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I am having difficulty understanding the trait of versatile here. Are people talking about being able to select a wide variety of skills or something?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Svartalf wrote:
Alrik Vas wrote:Gizmoteer-nightspawn is the reason most people I know won't play rifts. Not the specific combo, but the idea of combining 3 game types to make one character. Rifts takes some serious intestinal fortitude.

As a GM, I don't accept night spawns in a Rifts game... they belong to a separate set of dimensions and the night lords don't appear there either.

separate set of dimensions... I thought that was the point of Rifts.
Svartalf
Champion

the Nightlords haven't opened shop on Rifts Earth, so there are no Nightspawns there either... now, if I play in a game where a common human can be one, I may just munchkin up and do it... just not in my game.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Two she's played in Rifts, she's from NS with a N&S OCC. It's only three when I say she also learned basics of mecha piloting for MX2 mecha.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Svartalf wrote:the Nightlords haven't opened shop on Rifts Earth, so there are no Nightspawns there either... now, if I play in a game where a common human can be one, I may just munchkin up and do it... just not in my game.

be what?
IIRC the nightlords were human and are empowered by the Darkness. The nightspawn/bane on the other hand were never human. As far as access to the dimension, it is already documented that the dimension can either be rifted to through the mirrorwall or walked out of/into through the fog surrounding the Astral Plane. Im not sure the nightlirds would want rifts, it is too hard to subjugate compared to the Nightspawn Earth which they already have problems with.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Tor wrote:I am having difficulty understanding the trait of versatile here. Are people talking about being able to select a wide variety of skills or something?

I read it as having a ton of skills but your translation is a lot more in line with versatile.
Carl Gleba
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: Lord of Chaos!

Unread post by Carl Gleba »

Tor wrote:I am having difficulty understanding the trait of versatile here. Are people talking about being able to select a wide variety of skills or something?

I took versatile as being useful in a variety of role playing situations. Take a simple medic. They are limited and say can't disarm a bomb.

Some classes offer a variety of skill selections and/or power and abilities that make them able to take on numerous situations.

Speaking from a purely game mechanics point of view that'd how I see versatile.

Now a good role player can find ways past these limitations :-D
ImageImage
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Svartalf wrote:the Nightlords haven't opened shop on Rifts Earth, so there are no Nightspawns there either... now, if I play in a game where a common human can be one, I may just munchkin up and do it... just not in my game.

be what?
IIRC the nightlords were human and are empowered by the Darkness. The nightspawn/bane on the other hand were never human. As far as access to the dimension, it is already documented that the dimension can either be rifted to through the mirrorwall or walked out of/into through the fog surrounding the Astral Plane. Im not sure the nightlirds would want rifts, it is too hard to subjugate compared to the Nightspawn Earth which they already have problems with.

Except the material says they'd get the kind of power up to make them equal to an alien intelligence and given the Nightlords are such power-hungry sorts if they had a means of accessing Rifts Earth it's certainly be a temptation especially being able to operate openly rather than covertly. No fear of the disruptions in their dimension due to killing people in bulk like they suffer from Nightspawn/bane Earth the planet's already super-charged to where that's not a problem. There wouldn't be an equivalent Nightlands and Nightlords to Rifts Earth though since from what was said regarding what happened as a result of the WWII atomic bombings the Cataclysm would have sterilized any Rifts Earth-attached Nightlands if there had been one.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

RiftJunkie wrote:Just looking to see everyone's opinion on their Top 5 Most Versatile Characters. Please post why you think a character makes the list, especially if it's versatile is "off the beaten path". Versatile doesn't have to be in skills only, it could include social situations, combat ability or whatever you think makes for versatility.

Pretty much this. Versatile is however you interpret it to be. So far, a lot have shared skill heavies and that's versatile. I'm really enjoying seeing these characters, though many posters are only listing OCCs and not giving reasons why they think those OCCs are versatile. Some I expected, some I overlooked or forgot about (probably the reason I started this post).

In a PC, I think THE most versatile character probably has to be Chaing-Ku dragon hatchling Temporal Wizard. Temporal Magic, (regular) Magic, Tattoo Magic, Psionics, Shape Changer (virtually unlimited), not bad skillset, Elixir Minions..... Can anyone find a better ultimate universal character? :D
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Zer0 Kay wrote:IIRC the nightlords were human and are empowered by the Darkness. The nightspawn/bane on the other hand were never human. As far as access to the dimension, it is already documented that the dimension can either be rifted to through the mirrorwall or walked out of/into through the fog surrounding the Astral Plane. Im not sure the nightlirds would want rifts, it is too hard to subjugate compared to the Nightspawn Earth which they already have problems with.

The Dark, we do not want to anger Top Cow.

Dark Conversions gives an alternate version of the RPG where the Banes are simply altered humans, LOL

As for Astral Plane access, assuming you mean the fogs of the outer layer, I think you need to have the astral projection power or a portal to do that. Also not entirely sure if there is only 1 void or inner or outer layer, for all we know each dimension may have its own plane trilogy.

The nightlords in Dark Conversions may be an entirely separate batch from the ones in Nightlands (after all, in Rifts it is called the Darklands) so they would not be busy taking over some SDC world and could dedicate more energy to grinding out an Atlantis-like outpost on Rearth.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

RiftJunkie wrote:Can anyone find a better ultimate universal character? :D

well, there's always the mulka.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I made my list by considering "versatile" to mean "useful in a large variety of situations." That doesn't equate to the best in those situations, mind you, but passable.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Tor wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:IIRC the nightlords were human and are empowered by the Darkness. The nightspawn/bane on the other hand were never human. As far as access to the dimension, it is already documented that the dimension can either be rifted to through the mirrorwall or walked out of/into through the fog surrounding the Astral Plane. Im not sure the nightlirds would want rifts, it is too hard to subjugate compared to the Nightspawn Earth which they already have problems with.

The Dark, we do not want to anger Top Cow.

Dark Conversions gives an alternate version of the RPG where the Banes are simply altered humans, LOL

As for Astral Plane access, assuming you mean the fogs of the outer layer, I think you need to have the astral projection power or a portal to do that. Also not entirely sure if there is only 1 void or inner or outer layer, for all we know each dimension may have its own plane trilogy.

The nightlords in Dark Conversions may be an entirely separate batch from the ones in Nightlands (after all, in Rifts it is called the Darklands) so they would not be busy taking over some SDC world and could dedicate more energy to grinding out an Atlantis-like outpost on Rearth.

Yeah 'cuz then they'll drop the cow on us and their specialty of bouncing udders will be everywhere. ;)
I thought the conversion book also discussed that each dimension has its own astral plane and the fog connects them, void doesn't matter, it can't be navigateed, it's like the roach motel.

I don't recall Dark Conversions suggesting the darklands to be a connected alternate world like the astral plane. Though in some ways that would make sense. It also doesn't suggest that the dark is in more than one dimension.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Glistam wrote:

I made my list by considering "versatile" to mean "useful in a large variety of situations." That doesn't equate to the best in those situations, mind you, but passable.

The way I looked at it for some of my choices was to pick templates that could be taken in many directions, or to say could be taken down many "career paths" with the same template.

The difference being between the two applications of the meaning of versatile being the POV....before or after char creation.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.

Return to “Rifts®”