Have you ever had non CS players save the CS.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Have you had non CS charters work to intentionaly save the CS?

Yes.
45%
Only time the do that is if they save the whole planet/megavere.
32%
No.
23%

Total votes: 22

Blue_Lion
Knight

Have you ever had non CS players save the CS.

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

I know I have in campaigns where I use Crazy Hetz. He is a crazy mad scientist style charter that knows nearly every type of science, also he can make items as both a TW and alchemist has access to high level spells. If there is a fine line between genius and crazy he sprinted crossed it and never looked back.

Basically his super factory fortress rifts to earth and he joins(rejoins) the true federation of magic. He then outfits them with powerful weapons uses his fortress bio labs to provide them with troops like loan star does dog boys. He also starts selling TW items to fund new war machines for the true federation of magic.

Often when I use him past just a source of gear in a campaign players rally to stop him from making the True federation of magic take the CS spot as top dog in NA.

Please explain if you have.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
wyrmraker
Hero

Re: Have you ever had non CS players save the CS.

Unread post by wyrmraker »

I did. It was an entirely undercover and unaffiliated group that reported to a variant Joseph Prosek. Our party assembled a strike force that liberated two Tolkeen prison camps
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

sort of ... although I was playing in the campaign not running it, and so my character was one of the people providing weapons.

in the campaign my character Alecia, was both an interdimensional arms dealer, and a weapons manufacturer. as the "arms dealer" she represented a company KHI (Kara Heavy Industries) that sold everything from sub components, all the way up to heavy starships. (mostly they sold weapons, body armor, power armor, and robot vehicles, because the bigger and heavier equipment started getting insanely expensive)

Alecia Ran her own company DHI (DeVreis Heavy Industries) and while Alecia did make some of her own custom and specialized equipment, most of what she sold was duplicated and or knockoffs of items she had liberated, or obtained in her travels through the megaverse. As with KHI, DHI sold leased or otherwise provided a lot of small arms, armor, and up to robot vehicles. DHI sold a lot of things like duplicated robotech gear, such as southern cross body armor (often refitted to appear more common or "modern" and had a lot of sales of CVR-3 body armor plus accessories (such as cyclones) she didn't sell all that many full up veritechs/valkeries but that was mostly because the customers choked at the price points. Battlemechs were fairly popular. one of the sidearm lines that were extremely popular were the phaser and disruptor sales, although the customers usually complained about the "ammo prices" because they didn't really get (and alecia didn't explain) just how much energy was stuffed into those power packs.
there were a few technologies alecia usually never put in the sales catalogs, such as heavy fully enabled fabricators, replicators, and transporters. for example the transporters she sold were pad to pad locked units with the pad to site, and or site to site functionality locked down. (unless the people she was selling to already had those capabilities) Alecia usually followed something akin to the federations prime directive... IE if the people she is selling to can't make something or really close she is very reluctant to sell it to them, unless there is a strong justification.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

The average human is better off with Karl in charge of NA compared to Alistair.

Not sure about The Three though, if they controlled FoM and managed to keep their supernatural population in check things could be alright.

As a human I don't think I could trust the FoM's demon-coddling ways unless every human got a free suit of blood-warded environmental armor, and even then I'd be worried whenever I took it off.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Blue_Lion
Knight

Tor wrote:The average human is better off with Karl in charge of NA compared to Alistair.

Not sure about The Three though, if they controlled FoM and managed to keep their supernatural population in check things could be alright.

As a human I don't think I could trust the FoM's demon-coddling ways unless every human got a free suit of blood-warded environmental armor, and even then I'd be worried whenever I took it off.

Personally I would have a TW turn every town and city wall that they could any ways in to a Greater CoP. Takes care of allot of nasty demon problems by keeping them out of your town for the most part. Oh the expense of living in a demon controlled NA.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

honestly, it's not really a question of the CS or the federation of magic. the federation of magic is pretty impressive in some ways, but it's really not much of a federation in the first place, and they're definitely not even remotely capable of filling any void the CS might leave if the CS were to suddenly all be destroyed somehow even if they actually were all working together, which they aren't.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Shark_Force wrote:honestly, it's not really a question of the CS or the federation of magic. the federation of magic is pretty impressive in some ways, but it's really not much of a federation in the first place, and they're definitely not even remotely capable of filling any void the CS might leave if the CS were to suddenly all be destroyed somehow even if they actually were all working together, which they aren't.

The True federation of magic would not try to fill the void even if it over threw the CS, even with the amount of power that the NPC was pumping into them they would instead try to concur and remake north America to there ends. (The thing is by true I am referring to the leadership of the City of Brass and not the other factions in the federation of magic. That should tell you why most parties even if they hate the CS rush to stop this.)

Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

last estimates i heard put the "true" federation of magic at like 40k people or so. with numbers like that, the only way they're remaking anything in their image beyond their current territory is if they're all full-blown deities or something like that.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I have had characters work to save the CS before. Usually on the idea that while the CS is horrible, its better than nothing, and that at this time that's all that there is to fill the CS's black skull shaped boots......nothing. A common thought is that the CS can be 'reformed'. Taking from the Nazi motif....instead of wiping Germany off the map, and trying to have say...Lichtenstein take over, or setting up a brand new nation the allies in WW II simply got rid of the Nazis (at great cost to on both sides) and set about to 'fixing' things in Germany (though opinions on how to do that differed)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Blue_Lion
Knight

Shark_Force wrote:last estimates i heard put the "true" federation of magic at like 40k people or so. with numbers like that, the only way they're remaking anything in their image beyond their current territory is if they're all full-blown deities or something like that.

Perhaps if you reread My first post you might see how it could happen. As what I was addressing was a reply to my first post.
(Crazy Hetz was pumping weapons and bodies into the True FoM using massed produced genetically engineered intelligence creatures. As well as arming them with advanced TW equipment and robots. That is what the players where trying to stop because at the rate he was pumping force into the True FoM in a few years time they would have a magical military bigger than the CS.)

H.P. Hovercraft
Explorer

Unread post by H.P. Hovercraft »

Blue_Lion wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:last estimates i heard put the "true" federation of magic at like 40k people or so. with numbers like that, the only way they're remaking anything in their image beyond their current territory is if they're all full-blown deities or something like that.

Perhaps if you reread My first post you might see how it could happen. As what I was addressing was a reply to my first post.
(Crazy Hetz was pumping weapons and bodies into the True FoM using massed produced genetically engineered intelligence creatures. As well as arming them with advanced TW equipment and robots. That is what the players where trying to stop because at the rate he was pumping force into the True FoM in a few years time they would have a magical military bigger than the CS.)

Hmmm...........a "magical military."

So in other words, an instant multi-million man army............are you sure Crazy Hetz didn't already work FOR the CS? ;)
H.P. Hovercraft
Explorer

Unread post by H.P. Hovercraft »

As to the OP, yes. Both as a player and as a GM I've had characters (even those who hate the CS) help to save them on a fair number of occasions.

The reasons:
1) The Big Picture; if the CS as a nation were to be annihilated, the resulting human (and even d-bee in the case of the burbs) casualties would be atrocious depending on who's doing the annihilating. Despite all their downfalls, the CS does do a great deal in preserving (human) life. Our characters are almost always at odds with the CS, but to see millions of people (and many of them non-military civilians) destroyed in a campaign of ideology, and leaving millions more left defenseless......................well, it's just a little in-humane.

2)On a number of occasions we've come across CS patrols on the losing end against a group of demons or other powerful supernatural threats (not often, but it happens) and have decided to intercede on their behalf. Why? Because, ultimately, these are human beings we are talking about, and while we may have opposing views on the world, we'd rather see them carry on than see them torn apart by demonic engines of hate. The soldiers on the ground aren't usually the real problem, and aren't the ones calling the big shots. Sometimes helping out a CS recon patrol has come back to bite us in the rear, but just as often (okay, a little less than as often) we've gotten a grudging bit of respect, and hopefully made a grunt or two question his hatred for the people he's been conditioned to hate.

3)For our OWN souls; realising that it's the CS leadership, and not it's citizens or even the average troop that is the problem, blowing up Chi-Town or an entire armored division or two might make some changes, but are they necessarily good ones? Certainly not for ourselves they're not; WE only end up becoming the bigger monsters.

Sometimes saving the CS is the thing that helps us to save ourselves!

.........................................................................................................................................................Thank you for your time.
A letter from your's truly,

Col. Joseph Prosek II

Return to “Rifts®”