Creating Magic Items on Rifts Earth

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Brayon
Explorer

Creating Magic Items on Rifts Earth

Unread post by Brayon »

Without starting a tangent in this Thread: Subject: permanent spells, how can PCs create Magical Items on Rifts Earth. Besides the most obvious ones of Techno-Wizardry, and Rune Weapons. Would this be something that would need to be pulled from the Palladium Fantasy Game?

We know that Magical items exist on Rifts as its documented in several spots. Lord Coake has several, Tolkeen had some before the fall. Lots of references of the CS taking magical items to be destroyed, etc.

How prevalent would they be on the world of Rifts?
"No, actually, as there's that really big special rule that overrides any other rules. You know, the one where if something looks stupid or limiting or otherwise hinders game play or fun the GM is free to change or discard the rule." - Nightmask
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Re: Creating Magic Items on Rifts Earth

Unread post by Svartalf »

You know many PC OCCs/RCCs that can actually turn out Rune weapons? Even mystic Kuznya don't rate quite that high, and I don't remember there being Rune Masters as an PC accessible class.

But to answer your question, not much... most magic items are the province of NPC alchemists and Splugorth... IIRC in South America, Biomancers and Nazca Line Mages can make limited artifacts... Magic items are fairly prevalent there, as shown by the panoply every Inca Warrior has, or the staff of the Inca Rune Warrior.

Depending on the area, and the prevalence of mages of the right OCCs (like alchemists) magic items might be relatively common and somewhat procurable... of course, you can get anything you can afford at the Splynn markets.

But as far as PC manufacture goes, it's mostly a no no except for the limited items that can be made with a single spell, like scrolls or golems.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Various OCC have limited magic item creation options (mostly weapons and/or armor). Biomancers for example from South America, one from England (that I can't remember the name, I think scatheh or something like that) can make a few magical items including useful magical mundane items, anyone trained in the HtH skill common to the True Samurai can craft minor rune swords (need a sacrifice for each sword you make though), and others. You mostly have to hunt around for what OCC can do what.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

A common human will suffice as a sacrifice for a Samurai sword?
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Svartalf wrote:A common human will suffice as a sacrifice for a Samurai sword?

Of course, they aren't epic rune weapons after all, they aren't even indestructible.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Depends on what you consider a magical item and how long you want it around:
-Conjurer OCC (Rifts Fed. of Magic), items qualify as magic IIRC
-Tattoo classes (Rifts Atlantis, Splyn Dim. Market, SA2), temporary, but magical
-Samurai in Rifts Japan can create magical swords (Rune Diahso, already mentioned)
-Techno Smithy in one of the Phase World books (forget the specific book), a variant of Techno-Wizard, but also able to produce regular magic stuff (including self-charging Talismans)
-Various Shamans (and Shaman-like) classes are able to create magical items (Rifts Canada, Rifts Spirt West are the two big ones to come to mind), weapons, armor, amulet/talsimans
-Rifts Russian and England Books might have something (don't own them, second hand report)
-Techno-Wizard and Eco-Wizard (RMB, RUE, Dinosaur Swamp)
-Bio-Wizard (SA1)
-Just about any mage who can make amulet, scroll, zombie, mummie, golem, talisman are able to (plus some other spells might apply that I'm not thinking of) of longer duration, and there are a few IINM that require actual objects to enchant (Fly being one example) but are more temporary.
-Necromancers have some magic item creation spell/rituals to (Rifts Book of Magic)
-Splurgoth Bio-Wizard's (not to be confused with the guys in SA1), since they can augment items with "Eye of Eylor", essentially making it magical IIRC (found in Atlantis)
-Fed of Magic, I forget the class, but they can create piloted Golem things (Automatons IIRC, basically magic robot vehicles)
-Naut'yll from Underseas, IIRC
-Horune Pirates (Underseas), IIRC, one of their specific classes
-SB4 CS Navy IIRC has an enclave of Dwarves that can produce magic items
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

The Scathach Druids of England were what Nightmask is getting at. They have some unique stuff above and beyond standard Herbology, which allows the other 2 druids (and herbalist) to make other magical items too.

I dunno Svart the Kuznya stuff can exceed some of the lesser rune weapons.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Outside of the classes described above, a good list to have by the way, I think the creation of powerful magical items ought to be something that most magic users are capable of. I'd use it as a story element rather than try to quantify it into rules though. So, if the Ley Line Walker's player wants to create a wand that increases the power of her spells (raises the required save, increases range, damage, and duration), she needs to gather a few rare components and do a ritual at a super nexus during a celestial event to empower it. All of which promotes adventure and will lead to some exciting scenes.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Here's a list of spells that can be cast as invocations that can be used to make long-duration magical items.

Between these spells and the classes noted above, there's actually a good number of options.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Brayon
Explorer

Unread post by Brayon »

Thanks everyone for the assistance in finding all this. It is appreciated.
"No, actually, as there's that really big special rule that overrides any other rules. You know, the one where if something looks stupid or limiting or otherwise hinders game play or fun the GM is free to change or discard the rule." - Nightmask

Return to “Rifts®”