Any Ideas for Alien Intelligences

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gaby
Knight

Any Ideas for Alien Intelligences

Unread post by gaby »

Any ideas for Alien Intelligences?
How do you make them unique?

Dark Conversions have a Alien Intelligence creation template how much do you follow it? Do you use only the list special abilities or come up with some thing original?

What minions do you give them?
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Re: Any Ideas for Alien Intelligences

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Never really statted one out.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

gaby wrote:Any ideas for Alien Intelligences?
How do you make them unique?

Dark Conversions have a Alien Intelligence creation template how much do you follow it? Do you use only the list special abilities or come up with some thing original?

What minions do you give them?

I generally use the Dark Conversions pretty directly. Although I don't usually roll on what abilities they have. Also, I don't always use the given physical descriptions either. Usually do my own descriptors. Once did an undead alien intelligence for my players, they really enjoyed it but it didn't follow all the rules in Dark Conversions. Most, but not all.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

The only one I ever worked on was for Killer Cyborg's Kooky Family Thread. I used the Zllyphan Energy Being RCC from England though.

I think the trick to making any villain unique is to concentrate on their motivations and methods. They're all trying to conquer one world or another, but for what purpose and how? Let's look at a couple of the canonical intelligences as examples.

Splynncryth wants to control one of the most powerful dimensional nexuses in the multiverse to expand his transdimensional empire. He's doing it primarily through force of arms and his major competitors are other intelligences, gods, and demons. He's taking the long view of things though and is trying to let most of his competition kill each other off.

Zazshan is also attempting to conquer Rifts Earth. He hasn't got the same resources at his disposal as Splynncryth, so he's taking a different tactic. Zazshan is trying to win the hearts and minds of humanity by cultivating an army of heroes. He does so covertly in the guise of Merlin to avoid the notice of other intelligences.

Camazotz, the Lord of Bats has a shorter view on things and is concentrating on bringing the Yucatan under his control. He's dominated the vampiric minions of a vampire intelligence and is working against the Xibalan demons. Being in a pocket dimension, he can take his time and play at being a god while he pursues his agenda free of the other beings trying to control Earth.
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

I wouldnt roll for stats and abilities. The charts a good list but any chart in palladium gets %'s lots dont need them.
What does your AI want to do?
Who are his minnons?
Do you actualy expect players to fight this thing?
Does the AI see mortals as pawns, play things, fodder, or just doesnt understand why the ants care about the world so much?

Honestly if the pc's are not going to tangle with it the stats dont matter. Think of a minor petty god then act more petty. Heck your AI could randomly roll to be a force of true good so rolling is silly.
anouther idea is to look at a god from any other source and pervert it to be slightly off, tthen imagine what youd not want to fight, combine with your worst sexual nightmare, add the insain and you got a mental image of him/Her/it.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Bill wrote:The only one I ever worked on was for Killer Cyborg's Kooky Family Thread. I used the Zllyphan Energy Being RCC from England though.

:D

Oh, yeah!
I forgot about that one.
It never exactly took off.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Bill wrote:The only one I ever worked on was for Killer Cyborg's Kooky Family Thread. I used the Zllyphan Energy Being RCC from England though.

:D

Oh, yeah!
I forgot about that one.
It never exactly took off.

I think it was a fun idea and worth the effort that I put in. I haven't used the write up I made for it yet, but it could definitely happen.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Could make the big Deities into other GOOs. YHWH, The Hindu god of which all the other Hindu gods are just avatars.
What other big deities are there?

wow... I feel dirty.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zamion138
Hero

Unread post by Zamion138 »

Zer0 Kay wrote:Could make the big Deities into other GOOs. YHWH, The Hindu god of which all the other Hindu gods are just avatars.

wow... I feel dirty.

Dont see why you feel dirty but.....
Zeus had parents so he could be their avatar.
Pure land buhdism views the buhda as an actual god not a saintly figure.
Most older faiths see the sun as the all important god,
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Zamion138 wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Could make the big Deities into other GOOs. YHWH, The Hindu god of which all the other Hindu gods are just avatars.

wow... I feel dirty.

Pastor, suggesting making God into a blob of flesh, tentacles and maybe eyes. More FSM than God.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Zamion138 wrote:

wow... I feel dirty.

Pastor, suggesting making God into a blob of flesh, tentacles and maybe eyes. More FSM than God.

Making it into a sphere of light like the Zllyphan Energy Being RCC from England make you feel better about it? :mrgreen:
The Ogeeyin (also from England) while technically not an AI, has enough in common to be seen as another example of breaking the "blob of flesh, tentacles, fangs and eyes" mold.

I agree with Bill that defining the motivations and methods is of utmost importance, but them the same might be said of any major NPC, villain or not, mortal or supernatural, no?

Speaking of Alien Intelligences per se, i actually try to take the most out of the rolls, specially when it comes to limitations - defining what powers from the template an individual Intelligence possesses and which ones it does not have can actually strongly influence the resources at its disposal and consequently what methods & tactics one might prefer.

For example, those that can't dimension teleport at will would care far more about acess to rifts, ley line nexuses and defending what possessions they do have, as they might have a much harder time starting anew or retaking lost stuff than that their dimension-hopping equals, who meanwhile might have a greater interest in exploration and contacting mortals - specially people of magic, shifters preferably - to gain it first entry into a new dimension, gathering a pool of connections and locales to potentially conquer, influence, visit, harvest or escape into depending on one's interests or needs. Not to mention that an Intelligence that is trying to gain entry to Rifts Earth (or whatever world or dimension your game is set into) is one problem but one already on it - and that may come and go at will, specially without control of a nexus - is quite another can of worms.

Also, if they are able to summon some kind of supernatural minions - what minions are those, "generic" demons like ghouls and dybbuks, a particular demon race (djins for Set, due to some curse upon the race given by Thoth), or more unusual/custom ones, like Ramen & Tautons for the egyptians pantheons of Light & Taut, Zazshan's Supreme Nexus Knights, Inix's Gatherers & Pincer Warriors or the Aunyain sorcerers in South America1? The use of such beings can serve to surprise adventurers or work as clues to the presence and moves of certain particular entities to those heroes, villains, wise people or beings of power already familiar with them or their legends.

Vulnerabilities can be just as invaluable as powers in adding characterization and personality - imagine an allien intelligence guiding a "back to nature" druidic/ecomancer anti-tech cult to get around its vulnerability to iron, or giving support to a rabidly anti-magic society like the CS because they are ridding it of that bothersome magic that is one of the few things mortals might hurt it with. Meanwhile, those too egocentric and overconfident to actually worry might end up chronicled by scholars and sages of different worlds and ages, with info on their powers - and how to mess with them - available for investigation and distribution due to that carelessness. Playing with bits like this here and there can help with customizing allien intelligences and making them varied and fresh, sometimes bringing up combinations or ideas one might not think on their own, in part due to stereotypes we are used to in their portrayal in other books.

The level of magic knowledge of the Alien Intelligence can be as important - if not more so - than the previous elements in a game, as it directly impacts on the kind of knowledge and benefits one can offer to potential witches and the potential power of a cult, magic guild, witch coven, crime cartel, mercenary company, secret society or any such other group of mortal agents an Alien Intelligence might gather to its service. Personally, i also kind of use it as a sort of indicator of the individual Alien Intelligence's experience and competence in gathering minions or arcane knowledge through its witches across the ages.

Still on customization and use of the AI template, some GMs might like to change the percentages and options in the tables - i can't remember anyone beside Modeus or Vampire Intelligences (that stat-wise are closer to adult dragons and certain major demons than Alien Intelligences) with a vulnerability to sunlight, while one to rune weapons is actually pretty common between stated-out Intelligences, demon lords and evil deities and millenium tree wood doesn't even get an entry. Twisting or combining vulnerabilities - entities that suffer MDC damage from weapons of bronze, glass, wood on fire or eletrically charged silver, among other options, like having its powers diminished in complete darkness, in a circle of sawdust or after drinking a barrel of alcohol or coke, can serve to bring some extra color and complications (are bottles coke even produced in post-apocalyptic North America - or the Phoenix Empire?) to interactions with such beings.

Also, skills and languages - exactly because many are not applicable to such beings, making a few specific choices can go a long way in delving into the Intelligence's personality and interests. If the being took the time to learn some specific skill or knowledge, it must be of some value, either pratical or as entertainment, for it. Literacy in certain languages is also a good indicator of regions and worlds where an intelligence has made frequent deals and interactions with mortals - for example the old Conversion Book's Mephisto (aka, fake AI Mephisto, according to Dragons & Gods and Dark Conversions) is literate in Dragonese/Elven, Wolfen, American, Spanish, Euro, and Chinese, so one might expect this false Mephisto to have a strong presence or interest among groups in North and South Americas (possibly Iberian Peninsula & maybe parts of the old Philipines), most of Europe (but incidentally not among the NGR's elites it seems, as it has no literacy in german, the language of their jet-set) and China (what surprised me when i paid attention). Dragonese/Elven and Wolfen might point to a presence also in Palladium - or countless elven, draconic and wolfen comunities across the Megaverse that all conveniently speak these racial languages in general. This kind of small things can be quite helpful in defining the alien intelligence as a character.

In the end, the template is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules...:wink:
Valuable for inspiration and framing but not something to let yourself be limited by.

Sorry for the overly long post - sometimes i just get on a roll and simply can't stop myself. Hope you have fun or some use for it.
Last edited by SolCannibal on Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

SolCannibal wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Zamion138 wrote:

wow... I feel dirty.

Making it into a sphere of light like the Zllyphan Energy Being RCC from England make you feel better about it? :mrgreen:
The Ogeeyin (also from England) while technically not an AI, has enough in common to be seen as another example of breaking the "blob of flesh, tentacles, fangs and eyes" mold.

I agree with Bill that defining the motivations and methods is of utmost importance, but them the same might be said of any major NPC, villain or not, mortal or supernatural, no?

Speaking of Alien Intelligences per se, i actually try to take the most out of the rolls, specially when it comes to limitations - defining what powers from the template an individual Intelligence possesses and which ones it does not have can actually strongly influence the resources at its disposal and consequently what methods & tactics one might prefer.

For example, those that can't dimension teleport at will would care far more about acess to rifts, ley line nexuses and defending what possessions they do have, as they might have a much harder time starting anew or retaking lost stuff than that their dimension-hopping equals, who meanwhile might have a greater interest in exploration and contacting mortals - specially people of magic, shifters preferably - to gain it first entry into a new dimension, gathering a pool of connections and locales to potentially conquer, influence, visit, harvest or escape into depending on one's interests or needs. Not to mention that an Intelligence that is trying to gain entry to Rifts Earth (or whatever world or dimension your game is set into) is one problem but one already on it - and that may come and go at will, specially without control of a nexus - is quite another can of worms.

Also, if they are able to summon some kind of supernatural minions - what minions are those, "generic" demons like ghouls and dybbuks, a particular demon race (djins for Set, due to some curse upon the race given by Thoth), or more unusual/custom ones, like Ramen & Tautons for the egyptians pantheons of Light & Taut, Zazshan's Supreme Nexus Knights, Inix's Gatherers & Pincer Warriors or the Aunyain sorcerers in South America1? The use of such beings can be surprise adventurers or serve as as clues to the presence and moves of certain entities to those heroes, villains, wise people or beings of power already familiar with them.

Vulnerabilities can be just as invaluable as powers in adding characterization and personality - imagine an allien intelligence guiding a "back to nature" druidic/ecomancer anti-tech cult to get around its vulnerability to iron, or giving support to a rabidly anti-magic society like the CS because they are ridding it of that bothersome magic that is one of the few things mortals might hurt it with. Or those too egocentric and overconfident to actually worry might end up chronicled by scholars and sages of different worlds and ages, with info on their powers - and how to mess with them - available for investigation and distribution due to that carelessness. Playing with bits like this here and there can help with customizing allien intelligences and making them varied and fresh, sometimes bringing up combinations or ideas one might not think on their own, in part due to stereotypes we are used to in their portrayal in other books.

The level of magic knowledge of the Alien Intelligence can be as important - if not more so - than the previous elements in a game, as it directly relates to the kind of knowledge and benefits one can offer to potential witches and the potential power of a cult, magic guild, witch coven, crime cartel, mercenary company, secret society or any such other group of mortal agents an Alien Intelligence might gather to its service. Personally, i also kind of use it as a sort of indicator of the individual Alien Intelligence's experience and competence in gathering minions or arcane knowledge through its witches across the ages.

Still on customization and use of the AI template, some GMs might like to change the percentages and options in the tables - i can't remember anyone beside Modeus or Vampire Intelligences (that stat-wise are closer to adult dragons and certain major demons than Alien Intelligences) with a vulnerability to sunlight, while one to rune weapons is actually pretty common between stated-out Intelligences, demon lords and evil deities and millenium tree wood doesn't even get an entry. Twisting or combining vulnerabilities - entities that suffer MDC damage from weapons of bronze, glass, wood on fire or eletrically charged silver, among other options, like having its powers diminished in complete darkness, in a circle of sawdust or after drinking a barrel of alcohol or coke, can serve to bring some extra color and complications (are bottles coke even produced in post-apocalyptic North America - or the Phoenix Empire?) to interactions with such beings.

Also, skills and languages - exactly because many are not applicable interesting to such beings, making a few specific choices can go a long way in delving into the Intelligence's personality and interests. If the being took the time to learn some specific skill or knowledge, it must be of some value, either pratical or as entertainment, for it. Literacy in certain languages is also a good indicator of regions and worlds where an intelligence has made frequent deals and interactions with mortals - for example the old Conversion Book's Mephisto (aka, fake AI Mephisto, according to Dragons & Gods and Dark Conversions) is literate in Dragonese/Elven, Wolfen, American, Spanish possibly Iberian Peninsula & maybe parts of the old Philipines), Euro, and Chinese, so one might expect this false Mephisto to have a strong presence or interest among groups in North and South Americas, most of Europe (but incidentally not among the NGR's elites it seems, as it has no literacy in german, the language of their jet-set) and China (what surprised me when i paid attention). Dragonese/Elven and Wolfen might point to a presence also in Palladium - or countless elven and wolfen comunities across the Megaverse that all conveniently speak these racial languages in general. This kind of small things can be quite helpful in defining the alien intelligence as a character.

In the end, the template is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules...:wink:
Valuable for inspiration and framing but not something to let yourself be limited by.

Sorry for the overly long post - sometimes i just get on a roll and simply can't stop myself. Hope you have fun or some use for it.

No, it wouldn't help any. Keeping in mind that it is a GAME helps.
SolCannibal
Champion

Zer0 Kay wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Zamion138 wrote:

wow... I feel dirty.

Don't see why you feel dirty but.....
Pure land buddhism views the buddha as an actual god not a saintly figure.

I would be pretty worried if it didn't. Chill friend, chill out. 8-)

But back on the subject of AIs in Rifts (or other settings/dimensions), the thing from Dark Conversions about essence fragments surviving the core intelligence's destruction as independent demigods and such in whatever mortal bodies they took over is novel to me - don't remember it from any previous books, though it does fit the peculiar background of Kharkon the Undaunted, the pirate lord of the demonic black ships from South America 1.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

SolCannibal wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Zamion138 wrote:Don't see why you feel dirty but.....
Pure land buddhism views the buddha as an actual god not a saintly figure.

I would be pretty worried if it didn't. Chill friend, chill out. 8-)

But back on the subject of AIs in Rifts (or other settings/dimensions), the thing from Dark Conversions about essence fragments surviving the core intelligence's destruction as independent demigods and such in whatever mortal bodies they took over is novel to me - don't remember it from any previous books, though it does fit the peculiar background of Kharkon the Undaunted, the pirate lord of the demonic black ships from South America 1.

What? I'm very chill. I'm not ranting... or am I?
SolCannibal
Champion

As an aside, benign or at least not actively malignant alien intelligences, has anyone used any in their games?
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

A gigantic fluffy bunny.
SolCannibal
Champion

The Beast wrote:

A gigantic fluffy bunny.

I think this kind of fits the bill, no? :twisted:
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

SolCannibal wrote:
The Beast wrote:

A gigantic fluffy bunny.

or the golem from one of the episodes of metal hurlant chronicles.
SolCannibal
Champion

Zer0 Kay wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:
The Beast wrote:

A gigantic fluffy bunny.

Never saw it, but from a quick google search i'm guessing you're talking of this one. Looks good too.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

SolCannibal wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:
The Beast wrote:

A gigantic fluffy bunny.

Never saw it, but from a quick google search i'm guessing you're talking of this one. Looks good too.

Yup, horrible series with a few good points
SolCannibal
Champion

Anyway, alien gigantic, potentially lovecraftian, fluffy intelligence bunny goal reached!
Hooray for the variety of visual media and the internet! :D

Speaking of random peculiar things that can add character, CB1's Mephisto has, beside the typical lore: demon & monster, faerie lore and such, among his/her/its/hir skills basic & advanced math 98%, operate computer 98%, computer programming 85%, computer hacking 65%, forgery 80%, writing 90%, art 90%, dance 90%, pick pockets 80% and palming 75% a package that paints it as an entity as confortable in BBS, chatrooms, IRC channels and other online circles as esoteric ones (possibly discussing any subjects of its interest with great nerdery if its levels in art and writing are any indication) and a potential - a quite staggeringly unexpected one - contact for operators, rogue scholars &/or scientists that make semi-regular use of such resources when available. I think i'm going to abuse the hell out of telemechanics next time i use it. :twisted:

What together with writing, pick pockets & palming, skills far more adapted to the humanoid form of beings one must possess (not a shape that comes naturally to the Intelligence, according to its write-up), gives an image of an intruder with a taste for savoring the worlds and lives of mortals through their eyes and bodies.
Last edited by SolCannibal on Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:47 am, edited 4 times in total.
SolCannibal
Champion

As an aside, does anyone here know of the Drolian Council?

Return to “Rifts®”