Sources of Raw Metal and Scrap Metal

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Blue_Lion
Knight

Re: Sources of Raw Metal and Scrap Metal

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

I think there are demi planes that are made of raw material to make stuff from.
Might help if we had some context to guide the thought line.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

Asteroids have a lot of metal ores.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Blue_Lion
Knight

His request is just to unfocused.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Blue_Lion wrote:His request is just to unfocused.

Yeah.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:His request is just to unfocused.

Yeah.

It started unfocused, having left out parameters about which planets, real life or game, which solar systems..etc... Though reading it I would presume (s)he is talking about the sol system.

GMZob is correct in saying that the theories talk that Asteroids have the most accessible raw metal ores to spacefaring cultures.

BL is correct that there are Dwarf planets out there whose gravity is low enough to make extracting any metals on them is easier then on a full planets. (stated as per the current astronomical classifications)
{ :x :x :x :x Pluto is a planet :x :x :x }

To answer the question, we don't know. We won't know till we get there and mine them.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Well as it is rifts it can include other dimetions and I belive there mention planes(demi planes) that are pure resources. Planes that are not full universes but can represent an idea or element such as the demi-plane of dread Ravenloft.

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Elementals, Shifters, Summoners, Warlocks, High Magi, Conjurers, all masters of amplifying our existing metals, I think they would have a strangle-hold on the production market.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

grandmaster z0b wrote:Asteroids have a lot of metal ores.

mostly iron and nickel, most other metals are super rare
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

one thing to consider is while it may not be fully scientific but there was a good example in a novel I read (I am pretty sure it was live free or die by john ringo) there was a discussion about resources re orbital mining.

basically you have to look at how planets form in a solar system.
1 the star starts to form, and builds up a disk of "leftover material" the planets form out of this.
2 because of the nature of things the "planets" tend to concentrate heavier/ denser materials in or near their cores. so if mars for example were non volcanic ie no churning stirring you would get a ball of platinum group metals surrounded by layers of progressively lighter materials ending up with things like carbon and silicon on the outside.
as a general rule this is basically true.

3 most of the accessible heavy metals on earth are the result of asteroid/meteor impact deposits

4 the "best richest" supplies of heavy metals would be from "debris " from a "shattered planet" that was from its metallic core regions.

so if you don't care about whoever is there already .... (if anyone) using something like the "death star" for extreme mining might make a certain amount of sense....
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

I believe Mutants in Orbit addresses this in a roundabout way. The asteroid belt is where it's at.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

guardiandashi wrote:one thing to consider is while it may not be fully scientific but there was a good example in a novel I read (I am pretty sure it was live free or die by john ringo) there was a discussion about resources re orbital mining.

basically you have to look at how planets form in a solar system.
1 the star starts to form, and builds up a disk of "leftover material" the planets form out of this.
2 because of the nature of things the "planets" tend to concentrate heavier/ denser materials in or near their cores. so if mars for example were non volcanic ie no churning stirring you would get a ball of platinum group metals surrounded by layers of progressively lighter materials ending up with things like carbon and silicon on the outside.
as a general rule this is basically true.

3 most of the accessible heavy metals on earth are the result of asteroid/meteor impact deposits

4 the "best richest" supplies of heavy metals would be from "debris " from a "shattered planet" that was from its metallic core regions.

so if you don't care about whoever is there already .... (if anyone) using something like the "death star" for extreme mining might make a certain amount of sense....

Has read the same series and "#0.1 You don't know exactly what you are dealing with till you start mining it" was brought up while mining their 1st asteroid.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Nox Equites
Explorer

Unread post by Nox Equites »

Scrap metal on Rifts Earth? Aluminum is available at ruined power stations with all the high tension lines being made of it. Copper/brass is accessible in wreckage of industrial parks and/or water treatment plants. Further sources are the plethora of houses in and around cities. Steel is iffy depending on the particular alloys. Was wreckage water logged with relatively high/low PH ground water? Some potentially good sources of metals would also be some of the abandoned machinery left in some of the deep salt mines around the great lakes assuming there wasn't any flooding. Places like the Springfield Underground in Springfield, MO which stores all sorts of things in and old limestone mine has many scavenging opportunities and sets Archeologist scholar/scientists drooling.
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

even rust cazn be treated to make new metal, if the mass of it is big enough.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I expect some TW out there has built the 'Create Steel' spell into a device, loaded it full of gems, and keeps it running constantly to produce raw materials to sell. Just like there are probably some who have done similar with Sub-Particle Acceleration to make money recharging e-clips, or Create Water devices in deserts (imaging if one of those or a Scathach pot made it to the orbital colonies...) or Create Wood devices to save on lumbering.

The earth could be cluttered with unlimited metals due to the % increase effect of Create Steel :)

Not to mention that 'any alloy desired' thing is ripe for abuse.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

One thing also to note at least for north america is that the northern gun is in the UP and there nearly all the cities up there are copper this and iron that. Mining has always been pretty huge there with lots of valuable materials and minerals. I would imagine there is a pretty healthy trade between them and the CS.
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Don't forget that they have talked (in one of the Rifters iirc) about trans-dimensional ore deposits in the ground, basically ore getting rifted in from other dimensions.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

A bunch of that is around the Silver River Republics, along with that mysterious Wormwood-spawned city.

I give it about 9 centuries until Rifts becomes the next Wormwood based on that city expanding via Create Wall and Create Bridge.
Richardson
Wanderer

Unread post by Richardson »

Wait, what? A Wormwood city on Rifts Earth? What book is that in?
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

nicholasleath wrote:what planet or moon has the most rawmetal

If you mean in our star system the asteroid belt is good for that kind of thing.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

nicholasleath wrote:what planet or moon has the most rawmetal

I think you mean most mine-able metal, since Jupiter would have the most simply as a result of size but quite inaccessible. As others have noted the asteroids would provide access to the most easily mine-able metal (just a few we know of right now could meet the entire world's metal needs for decades easily).
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Richardson wrote:Wait, what? A Wormwood city on Rifts Earth? What book is that in?

World Book 9 (South America: 2) page 159-160, it is one of the three cities that make up the Southern Federation, south of New Babylon within the Silver River Republics region of nations.

Of all the trouble other regions are said to experience with the Larhold, it seems to me based on shared border lengths that the Southern Federation would suffer most greatly from their raids.

Luckily, the Larhold are pretty similar to the demons that invaded Wormwood so I think that city would be well-prepared to deal with them, backed by the High Wizard town and Patagonia.

Notoriously lacking in detail, Rifter 19 (on page 21) clarified that symbiotes can survive (and remain powered) while off of Wormwood so long as they remain within 50 miles of the city. This means within a circle with a radius slightly larger than 50 miles, depending on how much area the city covers, since presumably the count starts from wherever the chunks of Wormwood which make a mini-Wormwood continent end.

Going outside the 50mile radius has a similar effect to what normally happens if you leave the planet of Wormwood, power loss is immediate, death within hours, powers return after 24hrs of returning and remaining within the radius.

This would also mean that as the city grows, the symbiote-friendly surface area of the planet should grow along with it. So theoretically you could have Rifts Earth covered in a layer of Wormwood, but that would require a lot of PPE pumped into laying down new bridges.

Of the 3 cities in Southern Federation only the high-tech Patagonia actually got a name. Wormwood-city and HighMage-city did not get names.

Normally cutting off a chunk of Wormwood and tossing it through a portal would not have the effect of creating a new mini-Wormwood as it seems to in this Southern Federation city. I think that may have occurred due to it being a HUGE sized chunk, something beyond the means of normal Dimensional Portal spells, it effectively shifted a mini-continent over there.

The effect of a -New Wormwood- as I would term the city (due to symbiotic support existing per canon Rifter FAQ) may also be due to more than size. For all we know, Shifters might have created a small dimensional portal back to Wormwood (there are numerous Shifters on Wormwood) and established a connective bridge to the main body, which means that if you closed the portal and severed the connection, that might cut off the symbiotic support of New Wormwood and cause the entire city to die.

Or maybe the Priests of Light and Wormspeakers all got together and did some massive ritual to support the city... perhaps it takes continual PPE to keep the city alive, similar to the ritual that sustains Fortune in the Firetown sourcebook.

We do not really know the mechanics of the city due to lack of coverage so there can be many explanations for how it works. I like the portal-connect idea and the PPE-depend idea since it gives the city a massive vulnerability that they need to focus on protecting, lots of RP opportunities.
Sureshot
Champion
Comment: They Saved Sureshot's Brain!

Unread post by Sureshot »

Nox Equites wrote:Scrap metal on Rifts Earth? Aluminum is available at ruined power stations with all the high tension lines being made of it. Copper/brass is accessible in wreckage of industrial parks and/or water treatment plants. Further sources are the plethora of houses in and around cities. Steel is iffy depending on the particular alloys. Was wreckage water logged with relatively high/low PH ground water? Some potentially good sources of metals would also be some of the abandoned machinery left in some of the deep salt mines around the great lakes assuming there wasn't any flooding. Places like the Springfield Underground in Springfield, MO which stores all sorts of things in and old limestone mine has many scavenging opportunities and sets Archeologist scholar/scientists drooling.

Agreed and seconded. Pretty much all over areas that were devestated with the coming of the Rifts. The only problem is that in some cases it can be dangrous to acquire or guarded.
If it's stupid and it works. It's not stupid

Palladium can't be given a free pass for criticism because people have a lot of emotion invested in it.

Pathfinder is good. It is not the second coming of D&D.

Surshot is absolutely right. (Kevin Seimbeda)

Enlightened Grognard

When I step out of line the mods do their jobs. I don't benefit from some sort of special protection.
Richardson
Wanderer

Unread post by Richardson »

Tor wrote:
Richardson wrote:Wait, what? A Wormwood city on Rifts Earth? What book is that in?

World Book 9 (South America: 2) page 159-160, it is one of the three cities that make up the Southern Federation, south of New Babylon within the Silver River Republics region of nations.

Of all the trouble other regions are said to experience with the Larhold, it seems to me based on shared border lengths that the Southern Federation would suffer most greatly from their raids.

Luckily, the Larhold are pretty similar to the demons that invaded Wormwood so I think that city would be well-prepared to deal with them, backed by the High Wizard town and Patagonia.

Notoriously lacking in detail, Rifter 19 (on page 21) clarified that symbiotes can survive (and remain powered) while off of Wormwood so long as they remain within 50 miles of the city. This means within a circle with a radius slightly larger than 50 miles, depending on how much area the city covers, since presumably the count starts from wherever the chunks of Wormwood which make a mini-Wormwood continent end.

Going outside the 50mile radius has a similar effect to what normally happens if you leave the planet of Wormwood, power loss is immediate, death within hours, powers return after 24hrs of returning and remaining within the radius.

This would also mean that as the city grows, the symbiote-friendly surface area of the planet should grow along with it. So theoretically you could have Rifts Earth covered in a layer of Wormwood, but that would require a lot of PPE pumped into laying down new bridges.

Of the 3 cities in Southern Federation only the high-tech Patagonia actually got a name. Wormwood-city and HighMage-city did not get names.

Normally cutting off a chunk of Wormwood and tossing it through a portal would not have the effect of creating a new mini-Wormwood as it seems to in this Southern Federation city. I think that may have occurred due to it being a HUGE sized chunk, something beyond the means of normal Dimensional Portal spells, it effectively shifted a mini-continent over there.

The effect of a -New Wormwood- as I would term the city (due to symbiotic support existing per canon Rifter FAQ) may also be due to more than size. For all we know, Shifters might have created a small dimensional portal back to Wormwood (there are numerous Shifters on Wormwood) and established a connective bridge to the main body, which means that if you closed the portal and severed the connection, that might cut off the symbiotic support of New Wormwood and cause the entire city to die.

Or maybe the Priests of Light and Wormspeakers all got together and did some massive ritual to support the city... perhaps it takes continual PPE to keep the city alive, similar to the ritual that sustains Fortune in the Firetown sourcebook.

We do not really know the mechanics of the city due to lack of coverage so there can be many explanations for how it works. I like the portal-connect idea and the PPE-depend idea since it gives the city a massive vulnerability that they need to focus on protecting, lots of RP opportunities.

This. All of this. Run this game and you have my sword.
Library Ogre
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: My comments do not necessarily represent the views of Palladium Books.

Unread post by Library Ogre »

FWIW, I have a large industry on Rifts Earth in ruins scavenging... go in, cut chunks off buildings, and get the valuable structural materials to be recycled. Lots of work, modest payoff, and being a guard for it is either boring or extremely dangerous, depending on the locale and the day.
-overproduced by Martin Hannett

When I see someone "fisking" these days my first inclination is to think "That person doesn't have much to say, and says it in volume." -John Scalzi
Happiness is a long block list.
If you don't want to be vilified, don't act like a villain.
The Megaverse runs on vibes.
All Palladium Articles
Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!

Return to “Rifts®”