My take on Human Immortal

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

rifter72
D-Bee

My take on Human Immortal

Unread post by rifter72 »

So this my take on a human Immortal, that gained said Immortal power during the coming apocalypse (Chaos Earth) and possible plot hooks for other GM’s and players.

During the chaos that ensues at the beginning of apocalypse, a small group of humans was exposed to a purple light emitting from an open rift and received several burns across their bodies from the light. As the light burned the victims, a microscopic dust filtered in from the open rift and settled on the humans. The alien dust interacted with humans exposed burns and began changing their human physiology. The rift was only open for a few minutes, but was long enough for a few unknown life forms to come through. The life forms began analyzing and cataloging the changes happing to the humans, at the same time burning a small black and orange tattoo behind the right ear of each victim. Upon completion of the inspection, one of the life forms entered the rift, only to have it collapse and leave only half a body behind. A visible panic ensued with the life forms, but one stepped up and rallied the others; it instructed the others to grab the remaining half of their fallen and grabbed one of the victims and vacated the area. As the humans began to awake, they noticed that the clothing showed burns but their flesh was completely healed. The group was discovered by a roving NEMA patrol and taken to shelter, with each to follow their own paths. Their powers and abilities developed over the course month and years that followed, some had left to go it alone, few were accepted and stayed with NEMA.

Character Creation follows the standard creation with a few exceptions.
1. No A.R. or M.D.C. conversion
2. Replace Immortal power with Healing Factor
3. Roll or pick Super abilities & other powers of Immortal
4. No M.D.C. conversion (no Invulnerability, Immortality or Extraordinary P.E. …), must remain S.D.C., but may take powers that provide M.D.C. shield, Barrier or Armor (Bio-Armor, ASP, Force Aura….)
5. Language: same as in book (has had time to travel and learn new languages)
6. Education and skills: can choose from Adventurer and Scholar, merc solider, grunt, Bandit/Thug, Highwayman or Bounty Hunter.
7. Additional skills; 3 secondary and 1 related skill per 100 years old (max out 300 years old)

Questions, comments welcome.
Thanks
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: My take on Human Immortal

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I am not certain I understand. Your take on the human immortal is to remove the immortality? Then why not just make them regular mutants? what do they get from this at all that regular superbeings don't?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
rifter72
D-Bee

the Idea of Immortality is to live and not die of natural causes or at least that is how i see it.
If you think about the movie Highlander, the only way to die was to by separating the head form the body, but any other damages would be healed up.
That is why I replaced the Immortal power of the Mega hero with Healing Factor.
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Interesting take on biological immortality.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

rifter72 wrote:the Idea of Immortality is to live and not die of natural causes or at least that is how i see it.
If you think about the movie Highlander, the only way to die was to by separating the head form the body, but any other damages would be healed up.

and it's mega immortality that had removing the head as one of the ways of killing 'em. replacing it with healing factor dosn't extend their natural life at all.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
rifter72 wrote:the Idea of Immortality is to live and not die of natural causes or at least that is how i see it.

and it's mega immortality that had removing the head as one of the ways of killing 'em. replacing it with healing factor dosn't extend their natural life at all.

Unless the R.C.C. says it does.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
rifter72
D-Bee

This idea originated for PU2 (Powers Unlimited 2), the Immortal class. The idea was a way to tone down Immortal and not turn the character into a MDC powerhouse. Plus bring in a character from Chaos Earth time frame that has live through the Apocalypse.
rifter72
D-Bee

The problem with mega immortality, is even with decapitation, if the head is placed near the body will allow regeneration (also long as within 100 years). To me that is way overpowered, hence the reason for replacing with Healing factor, you can look dead but your body will regenerate in time. your character takes that final blow that brings you down to 0 hit points, you make your save for coma/death and play dead as the bad guy moves on to other targets; giving you time to heal up some and make a get away or save your team with with a critical hit to the bad guys back.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Maybe one of the immortals from Mystic china for ninja and super spies. The alchemist immortal will not die of natural causes and I believe are SDC in rifts. Then there is one who will not die normally because his heart has magically been removed. I think one of those two would work for what he is trying.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

I have to admit - I do like it. I probably normally wouldn't give a "Healing Factor" true immortality, it just slows down the aging process by a whole lot. It's why you have some immortals who naturally can have grey hair, and not always look like they are 25.

Overall - Both are features I try and pick up in a very small degree in other Super Power Genre games.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

rifter72 wrote:

The problem with mega immortality, is even with decapitation, if the head is placed near the body will allow regeneration (also long as within 100 years). To me that is way overpowered, hence the reason for replacing with Healing factor, you can look dead but your body will regenerate in time. your character takes that final blow that brings you down to 0 hit points, you make your save for coma/death and play dead as the bad guy moves on to other targets; giving you time to heal up some and make a get away or save your team with with a critical hit to the bad guys back.

Not seeing why you think that's a problem or why you think that's over-powered. I mean, you're creating something homebrew anyway why then wouldn't you just go 'this version of mega-Immortality doesn't allow for surviving decapitation'? Particularly since Healing Factor is also way slower and if you're taken down to zero HP you aren't going to be healing up enough to save anyone and will be lucky if you survive at all.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.

Return to “Rifts®”