Minion War mods for the CS?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Minion War mods for the CS?

Unread post by RiftJunkie »

What modifications can you see the CS make to better fight the demons/deevils?

Here's one of mine:
CS Special Forces Striker SAMAS - Take off the C-40R rail gun and replace it with (2) C-200 rail guns with the heavy ammo drums. C-40R is 92 lbs with 190 lbs for the ammo drum for a total of 282. C-200 is 45 lbs each with 100 lbs each for the ammo drums for a total of 290. The suit should be able to handle an 8 lb difference. Load them with silver rounds. I went with 2 Dead Man's rail guns because Coalition SF already has paired weapons. The SF Striker SAMAS is ammo dependent, but can also carry an energy weapons like Northern Gun P7 or 45LP with the UEL (Universal Energy Link) for an effectively unlimited payload.

I know we're waiting on "Heroes of Humanity", but I want to know what you have?
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
Slight001
Hero

Re: Minion War mods for the CS?

Unread post by Slight001 »

First thoughts... in none of the games I've been in did Paired Weapons work that way... wish it did... but it didn't.

Second thoughts... silver only works on Demons you need iron for Deevils.

all in all not a bad concept.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Before RUE came along and just gave out penilties for using two modern weapons when used with PW, you had to have a special template ( Character Class (CC) or power cat. (PC) ) ability to be able to use two modern weapons in the same APM.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Unread post by jaymz »

You could just give the striker a pair of the Particle Rifles that they can optionally have as well.....
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

The CS change will be more a change in tactics than a change in gear. Hard to use swarms of infantry and skelabots with PA support against a swarm of demons. So the key would be changing how you fight more than what you fight with. I see a clear effort to avoid close combat, as that is where the demons and devils are best at. As the hoards they face can seam endless they will need to use mobility to shoot and scoot to avoid being drawn into a drawn out slug fest between light troops and supernatural evil. APC drops infantry that shoot a E-clip or two then reload to move away. The would only move to where the threat was once they have eliminated the threat. This would reduce CS losses of people and equipment.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Before RUE came along and just gave out penilties for using two modern weapons when used with PW, you had to have a special template ( Character Class (CC) or power cat. (PC) ) ability to be able to use two modern weapons in the same APM.

actually, going by the wording in RUE, you still can't use paired weapons with guns. ("paired weapons is designed for melee weapons, not guns" pg 327)
the bit about shooting two guns at once is for untrained use. if you want to fire two guns at once using a skill, you still need the special paired pistols skill found in the Gunslinger OCC. (since RUE does not override the using paired pistols entry in WB14)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I also think its reasonable that the CS would have more changes in tactics than with gear.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Personally, I'd like to see the CS get gear like the NG Prophet and NG Mantis... well more the prior then the later.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Blue_Lion
Knight

Well according to after math the CS is putting the information they gained from the war with tolkeen into new gear. But how long it takes to go from planning and what it would look like could be more time than the minion war has allowed.

High amounts of effort would go into the anti magical effect caused in the final siege and to find a way to recreate it in combat with magical foes. But is it something the CS can recreate and how many years to develop anti magic tech. That would represent a major game changer. The ramifications of such could significantly change the face of rifts.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Blue_Lion wrote:The CS change will be more a change in tactics than a change in gear. Hard to use swarms of infantry and skelabots with PA support against a swarm of demons. So the key would be changing how you fight more than what you fight with. I see a clear effort to avoid close combat, as that is where the demons and devils are best at. As the hoards they face can seam endless they will need to use mobility to shoot and scoot to avoid being drawn into a drawn out slug fest between light troops and supernatural evil. APC drops infantry that shoot a E-clip or two then reload to move away. The would only move to where the threat was once they have eliminated the threat. This would reduce CS losses of people and equipment.

Actually swarms of skelebots with PA support would be almost ideal vs demons. Most demons are physically slow and those that can fly in general are not fast fliers and while megaverse in flames helps this a bit most demons and devils range like most magic users is limited. Skelebots being immune to most of the fear/horror effects and diseases of getting to close to demons are a great expendable way to tie them up and offset any numbers advantage while your power armor is raining fire from a distance.

One thing to note about skelebots is they are much faster than all but a handful of demon types so they are nearly as good as flying PA at playing hit and run tag and mobility fights vs demons.
Blue_Lion
Knight

kaid wrote:
Blue_Lion wrote:The CS change will be more a change in tactics than a change in gear. Hard to use swarms of infantry and skelabots with PA support against a swarm of demons. So the key would be changing how you fight more than what you fight with. I see a clear effort to avoid close combat, as that is where the demons and devils are best at. As the hoards they face can seam endless they will need to use mobility to shoot and scoot to avoid being drawn into a drawn out slug fest between light troops and supernatural evil. APC drops infantry that shoot a E-clip or two then reload to move away. The would only move to where the threat was once they have eliminated the threat. This would reduce CS losses of people and equipment.

Actually swarms of skelebots with PA support would be almost ideal vs demons. Most demons are physically slow and those that can fly in general are not fast fliers and while megaverse in flames helps this a bit most demons and devils range like most magic users is limited. Skelebots being immune to most of the fear/horror effects and diseases of getting to close to demons are a great expendable way to tie them up and offset any numbers advantage while your power armor is raining fire from a distance.

One thing to note about skelebots is they are much faster than all but a handful of demon types so they are nearly as good as flying PA at playing hit and run tag and mobility fights vs demons.

Against a few demons yes, but you are talking about using a swarm of skelabots VS a swarm of demons. Remember skelabots are not smart and do not identify one foe as more dangerous than the next, they designed to over run enemies with numbers and speed that is how they are deployed in many CS tatics. Many demons are durable and do lots of damage in close range. IN addition many deomons have access to elemental spells that can do lots of AOE to your skelabots. So swarming would result in loss of resources as the skelabots will attempt to over run a demon hoard as they are programed to do. IE you need to replace thousands of skelabots after every battle you would start to deplete your supply this was pointed out in the siege on Tolkeen. While if you focus on hit and run tactics to slow and grind down the demon swarm until you whip it out, you expend less resources and have a higher kill to loss ratio.

(Truthfully with access to Teleports from magic or RCC demons and devils would quickly place hard hitters in the middle of any large force that stays on the field for more than 15 seconds.)

Return to “Rifts®”