Robotech Conversion

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Robotech Conversion

Unread post by Glistam »

After reading through the newer Robotech books I've been considering making a fifth-stage Invid character to Rift into an ongoing Rifts campaign. Is there any advice anyone could give on how such a "conversion" could work with the newer Robotech? Is there even a "conversion" needed? Is the flower of life stuff from the Conversion Book 1 still reasonable to be applied?

Just some idle thoughts for a potential backup/new character.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Robotech Conversion

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Conversion shouldn't be necessary, you should be able to drop them right in as is. You might want to allow them to pick up new skills as other dimensional travelers as mentioned in CB1r (sorry don't have the unrevised).

As far as FoL stuff from CB1o, I can't really say if it should be in effect or not. I don't see a reason for them based on what I've heard second hand about the information though.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

I've never used the FoL conversion.
Without FoL I'd make the Invid psychic powers start to decline.
Instead of inhibiting FoL growth near a Leyline I amped it up due to its mystic nature, according to the McKinney Sentinels, which is strangely no longer canon, even though they still use tons of the concepts. But the FoL basically gives the pilot a telemechanic like link with the machine. The FoL is a dispersed consciousness. When grown on a leyline it germinates and grows quicker and stores PPE. The bonuses to magic on ley lines, nexi, etc. are applied to mech combat bonuses. TW powers installed into the mech can be powered off the stored PPE as if recharged/used by a mage. All of this is house rules but makes more sense than FoL and protoculture are pointless now and weren't able to grow near ley lines before.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
masslegion
Explorer

Unread post by masslegion »

Zer0 Kay wrote:I've never used the FoL conversion.
Instead of inhibiting FoL growth near a Leyline I amped it up due to its mystic nature, according to the McKinney Sentinels, which is strangely no longer canon, even though they still use tons of the concepts. But the FoL basically gives the pilot a telemechanic like link with the machine. The FoL is a dispersed consciousness. When grown on a leyline it germinates and grows quicker and stores PPE. The bonuses to magic on ley lines, nexi, etc. are applied to mech combat bonuses. TW powers installed into the mech can be powered off the stored PPE as if recharged/used by a mage. All of this is house rules but makes more sense than FoL and protoculture are pointless now and weren't able to grow near ley lines before.

I like this!
I do the same
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

masslegion wrote:

I like this!
I do the same

Which part? There's so much? Both questions directed to both your responses :)
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
masslegion
Explorer

Unread post by masslegion »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
masslegion wrote:

I like this!
I do the same

I also never use the FoL Conversion and I too amp up the FoL abilities due to its mystic nature on Rift's Earth. Especially if it grows on/near a leyline, but for simplicity I just have universal effects. Although the effects can be slightly higher grown on RIFT's Earth and then receive a bonus when the mecha is close/on a leyline or nexus.

I too have it grow heartier on a leyline and have it store PPE. Although, for me the PPE amount is more that the item itself seems alive. I've never given it enough PPE to use as a PPE source, but that's kind of interesting and fun.

I like "The bonuses to magic on ley lines, nexi, etc. are applied to mech combat bonuses." I've never done this, but I like it!
What about applying this to weapon range and payload?

I haven't thought about the effects RIFT's Earth has the on FoL in some time. Now my mind is buzzing with fun ideas. Thanks Zer0 Kay.

Wouldn't it be fun to have FoL Millennium Tree. Now that would be very interesting. Huh, I might have to run with this.

Huh I hope some of this makes sense I have to run and wrote this is short order.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

masslegion wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
masslegion wrote:

I like this!
I do the same

I also never use the FoL Conversion and I too amp up the FoL abilities due to its mystic nature on Rift's Earth. Especially if it grows on/near a leyline, but for simplicity I just have universal effects. Although the effects can be slightly higher grown on RIFT's Earth and then receive a bonus when the mecha is close/on a leyline or nexus.

I too have it grow heartier on a leyline and have it store PPE. Although, for me the PPE amount is more that the item itself seems alive. I've never given it enough PPE to use as a PPE source, but that's kind of interesting and fun.

I like "The bonuses to magic on ley lines, nexi, etc. are applied to mech combat bonuses." I've never done this, but I like it!
What about applying this to weapon range and payload?

I haven't thought about the effects RIFT's Earth has the on FoL in some time. Now my mind is buzzing with fun ideas. Thanks Zer0 Kay.

Wouldn't it be fun to have FoL Millennium Tree. Now that would be very interesting. Huh, I might have to run with this.

Huh I hope some of this makes sense I have to run and wrote this is short order.

only if the weapon is powered by PC, even allow recharge on leylines.
FoL MT it would probably look like an invid hive.

Yup makes sense.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

No conversion necessary as far as game mechanics are concerned. Just plop the character along with mecha directly into the Rifts setting as is.

There are a few things to consider though, and it depends on how in depth the GM wants to go with it:

- Are your missiles comparable with Rifts missiles? If not, you may find yourself with empty missile launchers once you are done shooting.
- Can Invid mecha be repaired by conventional means in Rifts? Prolly, but the Operator would be working with "alien tech" and would likely be more expensive (if you even have credits) and take longer than usual.
- The effects of Protoculture:
-- Can you replenish your mecha once it runs out?
-- As discussed above, can the FoL grow on Rifts Earth? Did you happen to have some with you when you rifted over?
- Are you prepared to have most of your natural abilities be nullified by the setting?
-- Sense Protoculture is fairly useless in Rifts
-- Protoculture Optics is fairly useless in Rifts
-- Sense other Invid is fairly useless in Rifts
-- Teleportation is pretty awesome no matter where you are
-- Telepathic Communication might be cool if it were not limited to other Invid, but at least you could talk to the Regess regardless of her location in the Universe (note...Universe...not Megaverse...the GM would have to decide if you could even be in contact since Robotech Earth is obviously a different dimension, Id say the connection is severed since it is not the same Universe.)
-- Pilot Overlord/Commander: While cool to have unique equipment and mecha, once the missiles run out, the protoculture depleated, and MDC reduced, the Overlord or Commander Mecha eventually becomes useless.

Me personally, I never liked the Protoculture notes in Conversion Book 1 Unrevised and felt it moved int he wrong direction. I always felt that Robotechnology should be considered a more technological approach to the same thing folks on Rifts call "Techno-Wizardry", melding machine with a powerful/alien power source. Basically, Id move in the opposite direction and make Protoculture effectively just another name for PPE.

In effect, I treat Protoculture in Robotech Earth as if it were producing usable PPE in their Techno-Wizard mecha (Robotechnology) and weapons (without actually stating it since it is moot to mention it in that dimension). However, in the event of a cross over, I believe the conversion necessary.

So if I were your GM, just plop "PPE" in place of Protoculture and that makes the character more effective. To do otherwise, you would eventually just be a human squishy with a unique background story that can teleport with no source of money to acquire new gear you are not trained to even use. That in and of itself can be cool to role play if that's your thing.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Tiree
Champion
Comment: Token Right Wing Fascist Totalitarian
"Never hit a man while he's down. Kick them, it's easier" - The Hunt

Unread post by Tiree »

Kagashi wrote:Me personally, I never liked the Protoculture notes in Conversion Book 1 Unrevised and felt it moved int he wrong direction. I always felt that Robotechnology should be considered a more technological approach to the same thing folks on Rifts call "Techno-Wizardry", melding machine with a powerful/alien power source. Basically, Id move in the opposite direction and make Protoculture effectively just another name for PPE.

I can agree with you on this. I always felt that Robotech even though in theory was pre-Golden Age within Rifts (1999-2050 roughly), the technology and power source should be drastically more powerful than what is shown in Rifts.

Even though Earth Mecha may potentially not be comparatively sophisticated as the aliens they were battling. The Alien technology should be that much further ahead than Phase World / Three Galaxies.

I do appreciate the PPE variation that Kagashi has put forth. And I can totally see a TW version of a Protoculture Canister.
SirRobin
D-Bee

Unread post by SirRobin »

After Rifts came out, one of the things I pondered on was "why" protoculture could grow on Earth. What if protoculture needs P.P.E. like other plants need nitrogen and other nutrients? Maybe the Zentraedi bombardment unleashed enough P.P.E., by killing billions, to raise the background count enough that protoculture could now grow. But failed to trigger a ley line surge.

If protoculture stores massive amounts of condensed P.P.E. in its seeds then that could explain how its cold bio fusion thing really generates so much power as well as where the subconscious psychic link between man and machine comes from.

In that case the most fertile ground for protoculture would actually be next to ley lines, instead of a hundred miles away.

Oh and I should probably add that the reason I ponder the Zentraedi bombardment did not trigger a ley line surge was because there was no ripple effect to build on. Rifts Earth had the initial P.P.E. spike which fed greater and greater spikes. Robotech Earth was simply hammered. There was no place for the rippling effect to go that was not being simultaneously flattened.

No where to ripple to? No chance for the ley lines to spike.
Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

SirRobin wrote:After Rifts came out, one of the things I pondered on was "why" protoculture could grow on Earth. What if protoculture needs P.P.E. like other plants need nitrogen and other nutrients? Maybe the Zentraedi bombardment unleashed enough P.P.E., by killing billions, to raise the background count enough that protoculture could now grow. But failed to trigger a ley line surge.

If protoculture stores massive amounts of condensed P.P.E. in its seeds then that could explain how its cold bio fusion thing really generates so much power as well as where the subconscious psychic link between man and machine comes from.

In that case the most fertile ground for protoculture would actually be next to ley lines, instead of a hundred miles away.

Oh and I should probably add that the reason I ponder the Zentraedi bombardment did not trigger a ley line surge was because there was no ripple effect to build on. Rifts Earth had the initial P.P.E. spike which fed greater and greater spikes. Robotech Earth was simply hammered. There was no place for the rippling effect to go that was not being simultaneously flattened.

It wasn't the ripple it was the time. Midnight, solstice, planetary alignment. Surprised fluff doesn't say full moon or eclipse.

The ripple just caused more death it didnt magnify the end amount of PPE fed into the leylines that was due to all the magic multipliers. 6 billion people killed in ripples of destruction or in a sudden bombardment create the same amount of PPE. All about timey wimey stuff and much less wibbly wobbly stuff.

Translation RT could have been Rifts but the Zentradi didnt attack on Dec 22, 2098 @ midnight but the bombardment of Earth happened sometime in April of 2011, 87 years and 8 months too early for all the pices to be in place.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Zer0 Kay wrote:Translation RT could have been Rifts but the Zentradi didnt attack on Dec 22, 2098 @ midnight but the bombardment of Earth happened sometime in April of 2011, 87 years and 8 months too early for all the pices to be in place.

Wow. Now that would be a potentially interesting alternate dimension!
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
SirRobin wrote:After Rifts came out, one of the things I pondered on was "why" protoculture could grow on Earth. What if protoculture needs P.P.E. like other plants need nitrogen and other nutrients? Maybe the Zentraedi bombardment unleashed enough P.P.E., by killing billions, to raise the background count enough that protoculture could now grow. But failed to trigger a ley line surge.

It wasn't the ripple it was the time. Midnight, solstice, planetary alignment. Surprised fluff doesn't say full moon or eclipse.

The ripple just caused more death it didnt magnify the end amount of PPE fed into the leylines that was due to all the magic multipliers. 6 billion people killed in ripples of destruction or in a sudden bombardment create the same amount of PPE. All about timey wimey stuff and much less wibbly wobbly stuff.

Translation RT could have been Rifts but the Zentradi didnt attack on Dec 22, 2098 @ midnight but the bombardment of Earth happened sometime in April of 2011, 87 years and 8 months too early for all the pieces to be in place.

it is a new moon though.. but going by the real world charts, the nearest lunar eclipse is in october 10th of that year, the nearest (partial) solar one is oct 24th of that year.

and the exact year doesn't matter.. just the juxtiposition of the solstice with the rest.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

glitterboy2098 wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

Translation RT could have been Rifts but the Zentradi didnt attack on Dec 22, 2098 @ midnight but the bombardment of Earth happened sometime in April of 2011, 87 years and 8 months too early for all the pieces to be in place.

it is a new moon though.. but going by the real world charts, the nearest lunar eclipse is in october 10th of that year, the nearest (partial) solar one is oct 24th of that year.

and the exact year doesn't matter.. just the juxtiposition of the solstice with the rest.

could have sworn a planetary alignment was in the mix too. In which case the year would matter.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Glistam wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Translation RT could have been Rifts but the Zentradi didnt attack on Dec 22, 2098 @ midnight but the bombardment of Earth happened sometime in April of 2011, 87 years and 8 months too early for all the pices to be in place.

The supernatural devestating the Zentradi. Haydon and The Regis even stronger. The battle between the two to become does with the complete understanding of PC. As long as they don't bring in the stupid children of the SDF or Lancer's Rockers... Strike that as long as they don't bring one either.
SirRobin
D-Bee

Glistam wrote:

Imagine the SDF-1 never destroyed by Kyron. Hello demon plague, meet reflex cannon.

Don't have Chaos Earth handy, so what all was lined up to make rifts happen? I wonder what other dates/years fit potential rift makers.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

that would be pretty funny.

somehow i'm envisioning the RDF/REF basically saying:

"Look guys, we've faced enemies that have as many battleships as you have individual soldiers and came out on top. We're not intimidated by you. Get lost, before we decide to start vaporising millions of square kilometers of your home world on the off chance that you ever become a threat."
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

SirRobin wrote:Don't have Chaos Earth handy, so what all was lined up to make rifts happen? I wonder what other dates/years fit potential rift makers.

well, chaos earth only repeats the dec 22nd being the solstice bit.

but my dad does Astronomical research as a hobby (lately he's been refining a study of variable stars), so i have access to some good night sky modelling software from time to time. on the solstice of dec 22nd, 2098, there is a multi planet alignment going on (pretty much every one), and it is a new moon period..

so in addition to the multiplier from the solstice you also have the planetary alignment multiplier and new moon multiplier to the PPE levels in the leylines.. which got a major boost with the millions of people and animals which died (releasing their x2 PPE), which in turn triggered off a bunch of events that led to billions of people dying shortly after.

so really, as long as enough people and animals die on a date where several PPE multipliers stack, you could justify something.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Shark_Force wrote:that would be pretty funny.

somehow i'm envisioning the RDF/REF basically saying:

"Look guys, we've faced enemies that have as many battleships as you have individual soldiers and came out on top. We're not intimidated by you. Get lost, before we decide to start vaporising millions of square kilometers of your home world on the off chance that you ever become a threat."

The demons would have to develop the vampire anti-reflex shield.

They have vampires in hermetically sealed coffins suspended around the ship.

Vampire immune to all but...
Reflex cannon destroys everything in its path.
Sounds like an irritable force meeting an immovable object situation to me. :). Yay V-field.

Back to my RT loving self. Don't forget REF has multiple Reflex cannons on their own ship plus zentradi main cannons too.
Nox Equites
Explorer

Unread post by Nox Equites »

What strength would you consider the original Robotech book mecha to have? Units like the cyclone seem like they could be about 25 PS but the similar sized SAMAS has a PS of 30. The real conundrum is that even most of the destroids were not designed for melee combat.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

pretty sure most, if not all, have a listed PS score already.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Unless having evolved in a low PPE environment being near Ley Lines effectively 'drowns' the seeds in PPE therefor they can't grow on Rifts Earth unless they're far away from any Ley Lines or Nexus points. Just as plants adapted for dry conditions tend not to do so well when you try and plant them in a swamp or on a soaking wet river bank.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nightmask wrote:

Unless having evolved in a low PPE environment being near Ley Lines effectively 'drowns' the seeds in PPE therefor they can't grow on Rifts Earth unless they're far away from any Ley Lines or Nexus points. Just as plants adapted for dry conditions tend not to do so well when you try and plant them in a swamp or on a soaking wet river bank.

Yup because a mystic disbursed intellect being is going to be that way. Gee I can see why the Regis and Haydon IV was trying to get ahold of it because they wanted it for a nice house plant. I doubt that PB spent that much time on a reason why they wouldn't grow on Rifts other than trying to come up with something that would offer some sort of balance. Never mind the weaker mecha, weaker weapons should be a good enough balance.
Nightmask
Palladin

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

Yup because a mystic disbursed intellect being is going to be that way. Gee I can see why the Regis and Haydon IV was trying to get ahold of it because they wanted it for a nice house plant. I doubt that PB spent that much time on a reason why they wouldn't grow on Rifts other than trying to come up with something that would offer some sort of balance. Never mind the weaker mecha, weaker weapons should be a good enough balance.

The sarcastic commentary is quite unnecessary, and it being quite irrelevant that they were after it for why it wouldn't grow well near ley lines. Someone suggested why they thought it was so powerful and why they thought it should grow great near ley lines and I simply pointed out why it wouldn't grow around them. If absorbing and storing PPE were what gave the plants their power and versatility then it would make sense that they wouldn't respond well to an environment too infused with PPE for them to absorb, just like a shade-loving plant dying when planted in a sunny area because it can't handle so much sunlight. Sure it likes sunlight but it's not adapted for that much so it dies.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

SirRobin wrote:
Glistam wrote:

Imagine the SDF-1 never destroyed by Kyron. Hello demon plague, meet reflex cannon.

Don't have Chaos Earth handy, so what all was lined up to make rifts happen? I wonder what other dates/years fit potential rift makers.

Yep, Chaos Tech. There are three different scenarios you can do; Rifts erupt after the Rain of Death, Rifts erupt after the Regis bombards the Armies of the Southern Cross, or Rifts erupt after the Regis leaves Reflex Point. I prefer the latter because I like you can use mecha from all three eras.

Alternately, you could have the Rifts erupt during the Rain of Death then advance the story line to 2044 and assume the Chaos Demon phase had subsided, and things are more established with the newer REF technology, but then the Minion War happens, or a Rifts style alien (Kittani, Arkhon, Mechanoids, Splugorth, Verulian, Kreghor, Gromek, Xiticix) attacks earth Robotech style and they have to defend Earth yet again from another invasion.

Either way, you could introduce Rifts like elements to the game, giving the player characters the option to develop psionic powers or if they have the Mystic 'gift' and just didnt know about it till after the PPE surge. Likewise, you could always have the sentinels aliens from 1st Edition come and help the UEEF in their new turmoil from the "fourth alien invasion" of Earth and help them cope with the new strange powers manifesting all over the place.

Might be fun cause the players are expecting to play a Robotech game, then BAM, they end up having to fight mythological creatures instead of mecha.
Updated Aug 2015
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
SirRobin
D-Bee

Nightmask wrote:Unless having evolved in a low PPE environment being near Ley Lines effectively 'drowns' the seeds in PPE therefor they can't grow on Rifts Earth unless they're far away from any Ley Lines or Nexus points. Just as plants adapted for dry conditions tend not to do so well when you try and plant them in a swamp or on a soaking wet river bank.

That is a possibility but considering what we see of the Regis's displays of power/psychic/magic stuff? I suspect Optera "was," before the Robotech Masters defoliated it, a high ppe environment. It never seemed, to me, like the Regis's powers were new or strange to her.

Of course who knows what happened to the seeds/spores in the generator/canister/matrix things. The spores, always sounded odd to me considering the plant also has flowers, could have been a mutation to facilitate the plant's escape. Such mutations could have ended up with greater sensitivities to background ppe levels than the "pure" flower of life had.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nightmask wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

The sarcastic commentary is quite unnecessary, and it being quite irrelevant that they were after it for why it wouldn't grow well near ley lines. Someone suggested why they thought it was so powerful and why they thought it should grow great near ley lines and I simply pointed out why it wouldn't grow around them. If absorbing and storing PPE were what gave the plants their power and versatility then it would make sense that they wouldn't respond well to an environment too infused with PPE for them to absorb, just like a shade-loving plant dying when planted in a sunny area because it can't handle so much sunlight. Sure it likes sunlight but it's not adapted for that much so it dies.

Lets see... Without sarcasm. You can choose what I said or this without sarcasm.

Excuse me Nightmask, but could you keep your uninformed opinion to yourself? The FoL isn't a normal plant it is a disbursed intelligence. Of which individual elements are capable of connecting a machine with an organic "partner". The McKinney books esp. End of the Circle demonstrates that the FoL for lack of a better comparison is like the Midichlorians with their universe spanning influence outside of either side (i.e. Rebels and Empire, Jedi and Sith, or Light vs. Shadow in RT). A "plant" capable of making an entire ships children psychic and a "higher" evolved entity (e.g. Regis, Haydon IV) into a god. I doubt that type of "plant" is likely to die from drowning in PPE. Suggesting such is like claiming that we can kill AI or Psistalkers or any other ppe vamp by dragging them onto a leyline. The error in your assumption is that the FoL is just a plant like any other.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Kagashi wrote:
SirRobin wrote:
Glistam wrote:

Yep, Chaos Tech. There are three different scenarios you can do; Rifts erupt after the Rain of Death, Rifts erupt after the Regis bombards the Armies of the Southern Cross, or Rifts erupt after the Regis leaves Reflex Point. I prefer the latter because I like you can use mecha from all three eras.

Alternately, you could have the Rifts erupt during the Rain of Death then advance the story line to 2044 and assume the Chaos Demon phase had subsided, and things are more established with the newer REF technology, but then the Minion War happens, or a Rifts style alien (Kittani, Arkhon, Mechanoids, Splugorth, Verulian, Kreghor, Gromek, Xiticix) attacks earth Robotech style and they have to defend Earth yet again from another invasion.

Either way, you could introduce Rifts like elements to the game, giving the player characters the option to develop psionic powers or if they have the Mystic 'gift' and just didnt know about it till after the PPE surge. Likewise, you could always have the sentinels aliens from 1st Edition come and help the UEEF in their new turmoil from the "fourth alien invasion" of Earth and help them cope with the new strange powers manifesting all over the place.

Might be fun cause the players are expecting to play a Robotech game, then BAM, they end up having to fight mythological creatures instead of mecha.

why would the Regis leaving bring the Rifts? Are you suggesting she was using all the PPE and holding it back? I'd think her leaving would be like a lower level dissapearance of Atlantis, removing some PPE.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

SirRobin wrote:
Nightmask wrote:Unless having evolved in a low PPE environment being near Ley Lines effectively 'drowns' the seeds in PPE therefor they can't grow on Rifts Earth unless they're far away from any Ley Lines or Nexus points. Just as plants adapted for dry conditions tend not to do so well when you try and plant them in a swamp or on a soaking wet river bank.

That is a possibility but considering what we see of the Regis's displays of power/psychic/magic stuff? I suspect Optera "was," before the Robotech Masters defoliated it, a high ppe environment. It never seemed, to me, like the Regis's powers were new or strange to her.

Of course who knows what happened to the seeds/spores in the generator/canister/matrix things. The spores, always sounded odd to me considering the plant also has flowers, could have been a mutation to facilitate the plant's escape. Such mutations could have ended up with greater sensitivities to background ppe levels than the "pure" flower of life had.

I think the issue is thinking of the plant too much like a plant again and not enough of an omnipresent/omniscient being who is dispersed throughout the universe and guides or manipulates events.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Q for people familiar with Robotech and the anime it is based on...

Do you think it is necessary to watch the Robotech dubs to understand the universe enough to play Robotech or incorporate it into Rifts...

Or would watching Macross and Southern Cross and MOSPEADA be adequate...
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Tiree
Champion

Unread post by Tiree »

Robotech is completely different than Macross/Southern Cross/MOSPEADA. The stories are that much different. So my answer would be yes. If you wanted to play Macross or Southern Cross or MOSPEADA in Rifts, then you should be fine.

In MOSPEADA the fuel is not Protoculture, but Hydrogen Fuel Cells FWIW
SirRobin
D-Bee

Zer0 Kay wrote:I think the issue is thinking of the plant too much like a plant again and not enough of an omnipresent/omniscient being who is dispersed throughout the universe and guides or manipulates events.

I thought the "force" angle of protoculture was just from the books and never considered canon, like the control caps.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Tor wrote:Q for people familiar with Robotech and the anime it is based on...

Do you think it is necessary to watch the Robotech dubs to understand the universe enough to play Robotech or incorporate it into Rifts...

Or would watching Macross and Southern Cross and MOSPEADA be adequate...

Should be able to play game sans anime. But watching helps and reading McKinney, even though it is no longer canon even though it (I.e. Sentinels and REF/REEF) still gets referenced and unused cells get used on other projects.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

SirRobin wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:I think the issue is thinking of the plant too much like a plant again and not enough of an omnipresent/omniscient being who is dispersed throughout the universe and guides or manipulates events.

I thought the "force" angle of protoculture was just from the books and never considered canon, like the control caps.

It was when written, it isn't now. I think the caps may have been influenced by Battle Tech. But they weren't anywhere in the anime, unless the helmets were supposed to be. The ONLY time a "thinking cap" was used in Macross (not Robotech) was in Macross Plus. So the original anime wasn't drawn with one so an explanation like Bluetooth or other dedicated wireless connection would be required in RT to explain the lack of wires. Don't know why McKinney writers didn't just make it like a telepathy between man and machine considering where they told the FoL in the end, unless that evolved and it wasn't even an option for the first McKinney who likely considered it like Battletech in control systems. Too many hands in the pot and an inconsistent vision being led only by notes with too much free reign.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Tiree wrote:Robotech is completely different than Macross/Southern Cross/MOSPEADA. The stories are that much different. So my answer would be yes. If you wanted to play Macross or Southern Cross or MOSPEADA in Rifts, then you should be fine.

In MOSPEADA the fuel is not Protoculture, but Hydrogen Fuel Cells FWIW

yup Macross and Southern Cross are closer to Orguss than RT. Wonder why he used MOSPEDA instead of Orguss, since they were part of the same trillogy:
Super Dimentional Fortress: Macross
Super Dimentional Century: Orguss
Super Dimentional Cavalry: Southern Cross

Well I guess it all just goes to show us that a new script and voice over can entirely change an anime. Thank you Macek for bringing anime to the U.S. you may not have been the first but for some reason it became popular after.
SirRobin
D-Bee

Zer0 Kay wrote:It was when written, it isn't now. I think the caps may have been influenced by Battle Tech. But they weren't anywhere in the anime, unless the helmets were supposed to be. The ONLY time a "thinking cap" was used in Macross (not Robotech) was in Macross Plus. So the original anime wasn't drawn with one so an explanation like Bluetooth or other dedicated wireless connection would be required in RT to explain the lack of wires. Don't know why McKinney writers didn't just make it like a telepathy between man and machine considering where they told the FoL in the end, unless that evolved and it wasn't even an option for the first McKinney who likely considered it like Battletech in control systems. Too many hands in the pot and an inconsistent vision being led only by notes with too much free reign.

The whole "force" angle for protoculture never sat well with me. Why I was never a big fan of the books. Figured they should leave that to Star Wars. Go the mystical route with protoculture but go the tech route with the mecha? Just felt confused to me.

Must admit I'm even more out of date with Robotech than I am with Rifts. Did they ever come out with detailed canon on protoculture? I've again found that fantastic RRG write up on it but don't recall Harmony Gold ever giving anything their stamp of approval.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

SirRobin wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:It was when written, it isn't now. I think the caps may have been influenced by Battle Tech. But they weren't anywhere in the anime, unless the helmets were supposed to be. The ONLY time a "thinking cap" was used in Macross (not Robotech) was in Macross Plus. So the original anime wasn't drawn with one so an explanation like Bluetooth or other dedicated wireless connection would be required in RT to explain the lack of wires. Don't know why McKinney writers didn't just make it like a telepathy between man and machine considering where they told the FoL in the end, unless that evolved and it wasn't even an option for the first McKinney who likely considered it like Battletech in control systems. Too many hands in the pot and an inconsistent vision being led only by notes with too much free reign.

The whole "force" angle for protoculture never sat well with me. Why I was never a big fan of the books. Figured they should leave that to Star Wars. Go the mystical route with protoculture but go the tech route with the mecha? Just felt confused to me.

Must admit I'm even more out of date with Robotech than I am with Rifts. Did they ever come out with detailed canon on protoculture? I've again found that fantastic RRG write up on it but don't recall Harmony Gold ever giving anything their stamp of approval.

A concept of entity that embues pilot with telemechanic abilities to control mecha like an extension of themself is better than Battletech's I wear a giant thinking cap on my head concept.

And Macek's idea to end the series with Sentinels and and a time slip to start the series over is a lit more unique than simply looping a series with a beginning and end.

It is both a lot less and a lot not than the force.
SirRobin
D-Bee

Zer0 Kay wrote:A concept of entity that embues pilot with telemechanic abilities to control mecha like an extension of themself is better than Battletech's I wear a giant thinking cap on my head concept.

And Macek's idea to end the series with Sentinels and and a time slip to start the series over is a lit more unique than simply looping a series with a beginning and end.

I don't mind the route Battletech and Heavy Gear went. It is more grounded in known science, so to speak. Though which you lean towards probably comes down to personal preference. Since neither thinking cap nor omnipresent entity is canon a subconscious man machine link generated by by a p.p.e. field isolated to the machine and its operator fits just as well.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

SirRobin wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:A concept of entity that embues pilot with telemechanic abilities to control mecha like an extension of themself is better than Battletech's I wear a giant thinking cap on my head concept.

I don't mind the route Battletech and Heavy Gear went. It is more grounded in known science, so to speak. Though which you lean towards probably comes down to personal preference. Since neither thinking cap nor omnipresent entity is canon a subconscious man machine link generated by by a p.p.e. field isolated to the machine and its operator fits just as well.

Yup. I prefer the protoculture because that is the connection between the series, without it there was no reason in RT to come after a ship, for the RT Masters to come after the Zentradi failure or for the Invid to come. Taking it away as a power source goes against canon anime. It does however make the non reef machines less visible to the invid.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Kagashi wrote:
SirRobin wrote:
Glistam wrote:

why would the Regis leaving bring the Rifts? Are you suggesting she was using all the PPE and holding it back? I'd think her leaving would be like a lower level dissapearance of Atlantis, removing some PPE.

No. Just that massive casualties occurred when she left. It clearly shows the REF fleet being destroyed along with the Neutron-S missiles. While tSC proves the entire fleet was not destroyed, some GM intervention could have that be as a possible trigger for Chaos Tech to occur.
Updated Aug 2015
Tiree
Champion

Unread post by Tiree »

If the Rain of Death didn't cause Chaostech, the Regis leaving would not have triggered it either. It's a neat concept for sure.
SirRobin
D-Bee

Tiree wrote:If the Rain of Death didn't cause Chaostech, the Regis leaving would not have triggered it either. It's a neat concept for sure.

I like calling it Chaostech. 8-)

But couldn't you wipe out the entire planet and not have to worry about a ley line surge unless you had multipliers like lunar and planetary alignment thingies? Since I imagine Rain of Death style events would have caused ley line surges on other worlds too. That could be an actual strategy for p.p.e. farmers if it was relatively that reliable.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Kagashi wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Kagashi wrote:
SirRobin wrote:
Glistam wrote:

No. Just that massive casualties occurred when she left. It clearly shows the REF fleet being destroyed along with the Neutron-S missiles. While tSC proves the entire fleet was not destroyed, some GM intervention could have that be as a possible trigger for Chaos Tech to occur.

What? TSC the Regis destroys the neutron s missiles when she leaves, nothing else. There were casualties from the attack on reflex point. Either way the casualties compared to those suffered during the rain of death makes the Regis' departure look like a paper cut.
SirRobin
D-Bee

Zer0 Kay wrote:Yup. I prefer the protoculture because that is the connection between the series, without it there was no reason in RT to come after a ship, for the RT Masters to come after the Zentradi failure or for the Invid to come. Taking it away as a power source goes against canon anime. It does however make the non reef machines less visible to the invid.

Oh I definitely prefer keeping protoculture as a power source. I'm more willing to buy into that than having so many regular nuclear reactors walking, driving, and flying about.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

SirRobin wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Yup. I prefer the protoculture because that is the connection between the series, without it there was no reason in RT to come after a ship, for the RT Masters to come after the Zentradi failure or for the Invid to come. Taking it away as a power source goes against canon anime. It does however make the non reef machines less visible to the invid.

Oh I definitely prefer keeping protoculture as a power source. I'm more willing to buy into that than having so many regular nuclear reactors walking, driving, and flying about.

But it's not grounded in known science.
SirRobin
D-Bee

Zer0 Kay wrote:But it's not grounded in known science.

Some suspensions of disbelief are easier than others.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

SirRobin wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:But it's not grounded in known science.

Some suspensions of disbelief are easier than others.

LOl
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

personally, i choose to follow the new canon, where there is no man-machine link going on and no supernatural element. and i'd choose to allow FoL to grow anywhere on earth in rifts. i'd just argue that without the severely damage ecology of post-RoD robotech earth, it wouldn't spread as fast or as wide.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Nightmask
Palladin

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

Lets see... Without sarcasm. You can choose what I said or this without sarcasm.

Excuse me Nightmask, but could you keep your uninformed opinion to yourself? The FoL isn't a normal plant it is a disbursed intelligence. Of which individual elements are capable of connecting a machine with an organic "partner". The McKinney books esp. End of the Circle demonstrates that the FoL for lack of a better comparison is like the Midichlorians with their universe spanning influence outside of either side (i.e. Rebels and Empire, Jedi and Sith, or Light vs. Shadow in RT). A "plant" capable of making an entire ships children psychic and a "higher" evolved entity (e.g. Regis, Haydon IV) into a god. I doubt that type of "plant" is likely to die from drowning in PPE. Suggesting such is like claiming that we can kill AI or Psistalkers or any other ppe vamp by dragging them onto a leyline. The error in your assumption is that the FoL is just a plant like any other.

Okay, excuse me Zer0 but given you've ZERO (how appropriate) to justify your highly uninformed opinion regarding how the FoL would react to a high PPE environment like on Rifts near a Ley Line could you, in the future, try not to act like you actually have the 'right' answer to things? Because there is NOTHING in what you've just said that goes beyond being your opinion, most especially the 'I doubt that...' portion, where it's your OPINION that the FoL should be fine with PPE even when the setting itself leaves one with nothing to base that opinion on, and as far as Palladium's Rifts Conversion book goes the FoL doesn't grow near Ley Lines so your 'oh no they should totally love it!' opinion holds no value.

So going by what Palladium says regarding FoL around Ley Lines (it won't grow), I simply suggested that it simply can't handle being around such high levels of PPE and effectively drowns in it. You don't want to accept Palladium's stance that it can't handle it you're free to do so but you don't get to tell someone to keep their opinions to themselves because you don't like that they contradict you particularly when they're simply offered up as a possible explanation for why something given in the books is the way it is.

Oh, and also do skip the strawmen there, because nothing about what I said even remotely equates to the kind of ridiculous claim you toss out. How the FoL reacts around Ley Lines is quite unrelated to how an AI or other PPE vampire would react to one. We already know how they react to Ley Lines and they evolved to deal with massive amounts of PPE, we know nothing about how they developed in their universe other than how they react in the Rifts universe and there we know that they don't survive around Ley Lines. Why? Who knows, I simply offered up a suggestion as to why they don't that may or may not be why but given YOU aren't offering up a valid alternative as to why they can't, since you disagree with the book saying that they can't you really don't get to tell anyone they can't give an opinion on something you don't even agree with.

Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Tiree wrote:If the Rain of Death didn't cause Chaostech, the Regis leaving would not have triggered it either. It's a neat concept for sure.

Depends of if the GM wants to magically align planets or introduce some other element. Eruption of Rifts is not Robotech canon, so introducing the idea opens the door for anything. Really, it just depends on what era mecha the GM wants to use to battle demons.
Updated Aug 2015

Return to “Rifts®”