Bonus stats for RCC's

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

alogan
D-Bee

Bonus stats for RCC's

Unread post by alogan »

I know this has probably been answered before, but I had trouble finding it on the forums: If we have a racial character class, should we roll a bonus die for attributes over 15? If so, RCC's like Grackle Tooth would automatically get the extra roll on MA and PS.
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Re: Bonus stats for RCC's

Unread post by The Beast »

alogan wrote:I know this has probably been answered before, but I had trouble finding it on the forums: If we have a racial character class, should we roll a bonus die for attributes over 15? If so, RCC's like Grackle Tooth would automatically get the extra roll on MA and PS.

AFAIK, it's only if the attribute is a 3d6 roll. Anything more than that cancels the bonus dice.
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

alogan wrote:I know this has probably been answered before, but I had trouble finding it on the forums: If we have a racial character class, should we roll a bonus die for attributes over 15? If so, RCC's like Grackle Tooth would automatically get the extra roll on MA and PS.

RAW it only applies to 3d6 rolls

with that said some groups go with what I am going to call the "expanded bonus table"
1d6 stat get a 6 = bonus die
2d6 stat get a 11, or 12 = bonus
3d6 stat 16+ = bonus
4d6 stat 21+ = bonus
5d6 stat would be 26+ for a bonus
etc.

basically you have to get the maximum roll on 1 die, plus the next lower on all the rest (effectively) in order to qualify.

note this only applies to the rolled part if you have a stat of 2d6+12 IE 14-24 range, you would have to get a 23+ to qualify (or the 11-12 get bonus, and then apply the addition afterwards)

it was mentioned that some groups IF they apply the expanded bonus they also may cap the maximum bonus number of "exploding dice" IE
1d6 +1d4 or 1d6 max
2d6 +2d6 max
3d6 +3d6 or ~30 max (although technically you could get an 18, then with 3 additional 6's get up to a 36)
4d6 +4d6 max
5d6 +5d6 max
etc.

the main thing this does is expands the potential for some really high stats on some chars, and it makes some of the characters "feel more epic" I mean yes most chars people play are the "heroes" to begin with but which is more fun? being the "super strong" guy who can bench 400 lbs, or being the incredible hulk who can bench a tank easily.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

RCC only gives a bonus to it's race if they are bonuses listed.

As for a race's ex' stat bonuses...
Gaurd.... has the right of it for rifts that extra dice are only for 3D6 only...errr however those rules were written for humans in rifts.

with that said some groups go with what I am going to call the "expanded bonus table"
3d6 stat 16+ = bonus
4d6 stat 21+ = bonus
etc.

has no bones about the above, since it mirrors what I used.

There is also the thing about if the race's stat already has a +x in it, then it does not get any bonus dice for high rolls.

Also there are different rules for other settings.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Sun Oct 19, 2014 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Canon 3d6, may be a stipulation for humans only.

House rule. If the result of your roll is the max possible minus the number of dice rolled then you get a bonus roll, if the bonus roll is maxed then roll another and so on up to the number of dice originally rolled. So a 3d6 could get a max roll of 36. Statistically it is highly unlikely. I did a spreadsheet to see how many times that 3 bonus for would come up and in 1000 rool it came up 2 times.

So number (n), die type (d), bonus (b), multiplier (m)
Roll 3D6 n=3, d=6
Bonus on n*d-n (3*6)-3=15 or greater
if bonus for roll = d then add another die roll if etc... up to a max number of bonus for equal to n

If there is a bonus like 3D6+3, Then (n*d+b)-n is the number to roll for bonus
If there is a multiplier 3D6*2, then (n*d*m)-(n*m) because 36-3=33 which is not possible with the multiplier but 30, 32, 34 and 36 are.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Snow Hawk
Explorer

Unread post by Snow Hawk »

Hear is how I run it
If you roll your Max # or 1 below your Max, you get to roll an other D6 (or witch ever #D is appropriate) and that is it no matter what # that extra D comes up you only get one.
I think my way is fair.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Snow Hawk wrote:Hear is how I run it
If you roll your Max # or 1 below your Max, you get to roll an other D6 (or witch ever #D is appropriate) and that is it no matter what # that extra D comes up you only get one.
I think my way is fair.

hmm fair? So 3d6 gets a roll on 15 or is it 16 plus and everyone else only gets it on a max or one below? How's that "fair"?

So 3d6ers have a 20% chance of being exceptional while a 2d10er only gets an 11% chance? Fair pffft.

OR do you mean wven your 3d6ers only get a roll on 17 & 18?

The funny thing is that the 2d10 example would have the same chance with mine, I just don't claim its fair.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Snow Hawk
Explorer

Unread post by Snow Hawk »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
I think my way is fair.

hmm fair? So 3d6 gets a roll on 15 or is it 16 plus and everyone else only gets it on a max or one below? How's that "fair"?

So 3d6ers have a 20% chance of being exceptional while a 2d10er only gets an 11% chance? Fair pffft.

The funny thing is that the 2d10 example would have the same chance with mine, I just don't claim its fair.

Everyone must be with in 1 of there max, so ya the 3D6ers must get a 17 or 18 to get that extra D
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Snow Hawk wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
I think my way is fair.

Everyone must be with in 1 of there max, so ya the 3D6ers must get a 17 or 18 to get that extra D

K, also makes it simplified.
Kagashi
Champion

Unread post by Kagashi »

Another Palladium rule which should either be applied to all or none. I like ZKs solution, although I would prolly put a restriction on any rolls with a single die. Cause otherwise, critters who were supposed to be intentionally stupid (1D4 IQ for example) have a 50% chance to potentially double what they are supposed to have. In this case, perhaps the appropriate bonus would be a static +1.
I want to see from Palladium:
Updated Aug 2015
-Rifts: Dark Woods/Deep South, Space 110 PA, Scandinavia
-Mechanoids: Space (MDC)
-Robotech: Errata for Marines timeline, Masters Deluxe with SC and UEEF gear, Spaceships
-Updated Errata for post-2006 printings of Rifts books
-Searchable, quality PDFs/E-pubs of current Rifts titles
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

To be honest I like the idea that rolling for bonus die on high stat rolls is actually a "Human" racial trait, but it's not described nor applied like that. As I recall the Palladium Fantasy book does address this issue of rolling bonus stats for non-3D6 attribute rolls.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
rifter72
D-Bee

Unread post by rifter72 »

I prefer the "expanded bonus table" that Guardiandashi explained.
3d6 stat 16+ = bonus
4d6 stat 21+ = bonus
etc.

Each player character is a "Hero" per-say in my eyes (as a GM), each player with have their moment in a game some time and the expanded stats help them achieve that.

that's my 2 cents
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Kagashi wrote:Another Palladium rule which should either be applied to all or none. I like ZKs solution, although I would prolly put a restriction on any rolls with a single die. Cause otherwise, critters who were supposed to be intentionally stupid (1D4 IQ for example) have a 50% chance to potentially double what they are supposed to have. In this case, perhaps the appropriate bonus would be a static +1.

They'd have a 25% chance of being exceptional for their race. n*d-n. I always forget that when I do the numbers it isn't normal subtraction because the max number is supposed to be counted. It was all based off humans 3d6 which I keep thinking is 15+ but it's 16+ isn't it? So 18-3 in this case would be 18, 17, 16 not 17, 16, 15 where we loose the 18. So 1d4 must roll a 4. I guess the equation would have to be (n*d)-(n-1) then huh?
42dragon
Explorer

Unread post by 42dragon »

The clearest rule is from Palladium FRPG pg 14.

Any roll of 3d6 (only) gets bonus roll at 16+, and one additional roll if a 6 is rolled (Max 30)
Any roll of 2d6 (only) gets the bonus roll on a 12 only, and no extra even if a 6 is rolled. (Max 18)
Any other type of roll (4d6, 5d6, 1d6, 2d6+X, 3d6+X, ect...) does not get bonus rolls ever.

That said, I hate those rules.
For example a 10ft tall 500lb Wolfen who is very strong has a max potential of PS 25 (4d6+1).
While a 3ft 6in tall 80lb Golbin who is very strong has a max potential of PS 30 (3d6, plus 2 bonus rolls).
This makes no sense.

So I have always house ruled based on the 3d6 model without the possibility of the second bonus roll.
Roll is 3d6 you get a bonus roll on the top 3 rolls (16, 17, 18) so that makes max potential of 24.
So if you roll 2d6 you get a bonus roll on the top 2 rolls (11, 12), 4d6 is the top 4 (21, 22, 23, 24), ect...
However if your race has a specifically very low or very consistant attribute 1d6 or 1d6+X. Then there is no bonus roll.
I also allow you to add any fixed adustments after all your rolls have been completed. Wolfen PS 4d6+1, if your roll is (21-24) get a bonus roll, then finally add the +1. The +1 does not help you get to the bonus roll threshold.
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

any roll that averages over 5/dice, as per the table given above is an "exceptional roll" and yields an additional die
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Svartalf wrote:any roll that averages over 5/dice, as per the table given above is an "exceptional roll" and yields an additional die

what if it rolls d10's or d4's?
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

damn few creatures use anything but d6s for attributes.
say, any roll in the top 17% scores ought to do it... geeks are supposed to have brains, make up appropriate figures.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Svartalf wrote:damn few creatures use anything but d6s for attributes.
say, any roll in the top 17% scores ought to do it... geeks are supposed to have brains, make up appropriate figures.

already did (n*d)-(n-1) or higher for b1 up to bn if previous b = d max

1d6 = 1-12
2d6 = 2-24
3d6 = 3-36
1d4 = 1-8
2d20 = 2-80
Etc. So if your lucky, and the larger the die the more luck ya'll need, your stats can double. Using the random number generator in excel and running the same numbers 1000 times only 2-5 with 3d6 ever rolled a third bonus dice. So a creature that rolls multiple d4s would be far more likely to receive bonuses.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Zer0 Kay wrote:

1d6 = 1-12
2d6 = 2-24
3d6 = 3-36
1d4 = 1-8
2d20 = 2-80
Etc. So if your lucky, and the larger the die the more luck ya'll need, your stats can double. Using the random number generator in excel and running the same numbers 1000 times only 2-5 with 3d6 ever rolled a third bonus dice. So a creature that rolls multiple d4s would be far more likely to receive bonuses.

I am not sure I like the idea of being able to double your stats....especially since canon humans max is 30, which takes a second exploding die and is not double the normal max of 18.....and to be frank when you start getting over 30 in any stat (besides PS and possibly PE/ME) you really get into game breaking territory....I mean how do you handle an elf with a PB of 60? (Questions like this are why I don't use PB anymore.)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

eliakon wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

1d6 = 1-12
2d6 = 2-24
3d6 = 3-36
1d4 = 1-8
2d20 = 2-80

I am not sure I like the idea of being able to double your stats....especially since canon humans max is 30, which takes a second exploding die and is not double the normal max of 18.....and to be frank when you start getting over 30 in any stat (besides PS and possibly PE/ME) you really get into game breaking territory....I mean how do you handle an elf with a PB of 60? (Questions like this are why I don't use PB anymore.)

1. One more die after 30... Oh g-noes. :wink:
2. How can you break something already broken?
2a. Percentile can only go up to 98%
2b. Elf's PB over 100%, percentile minus targets PB percentile
2c. Elf's PB over 100%, percentile minus ME Bonus
2d. Elf's PB over 100%, percentile minus IQ bonus
2e. Elf's PB over 100%, percentile minus a combination of b, c and/or d
3. So you just like arbitrary, ugly, pretty, etc.
4. Unless someone's shearing you should be getting the third d6 1:200

Return to “Rifts®”