Reaver Assassin.....

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Reaver Assassin.....

Unread post by RiftJunkie »

Not to screw with another thread even though they are related.

The Reaver Assassin OCC has 1% Master Psychics. How is this done? Do you take a Burster with all of it's given abilities and then wipe out skills to replace with Special Reaver Assassin OCC Bonuses and Reaver Assassin OCC skills? There are no examples and no rules for handling this. It looks like you take whatever Master Psychic class and just change the skillset to RA and anything else would be house ruled.

What is your interpretation?
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
Nightmask
Palladin

Re: Reaver Assassin.....

Unread post by Nightmask »

What book are the Reaver Assassins in?
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Nightmask wrote:What book are the Reaver Assassins in?

WB 17 Warlords of Russia
My apologies up front if my posts come across as argumentative or crass. It is not a personal attack on anyone, just my blunt style. I bear no ill will towards anybody that plays Palladium Games (there’s not enough of us to hold a grudge).
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

RiftJunkie wrote:
Nightmask wrote:What book are the Reaver Assassins in?

WB 17 Warlords of Russia

Ahhh, okay. Afraid I haven't got any of the Russian books to provide feedback on it.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

RiftJunkie wrote:Not to screw with another thread even though they are related.

The Reaver Assassin OCC has 1% Master Psychics. How is this done? Do you take a Burster with all of it's given abilities and then wipe out skills to replace with Special Reaver Assassin OCC Bonuses and Reaver Assassin OCC skills? There are no examples and no rules for handling this. It looks like you take whatever Master Psychic class and just change the skillset to RA and anything else would be house ruled.

Greetings and Salutations. Okay, I did a quick read (I skimmed for things I thought important), and this is my take on it.

RWB17; page 77 (discussing "Reaver O.C.C.s" as a whole): "Character who possess magical or psionic powers [snip] may fall into the Reaver category, but use the O.C.C. description, background and skill of that particular occupation."

So a Burster (to use your example) may be considered a Reaver Assassin, but use the background and skills of the Burster. So as far as Russia is concerned, he's a Reaver Assassin. As far as game mechanics go, he's a Burster.

The part where it mentions that 1% of Reaver Assassins are master psychics is in the same section that discussions % of alignments and % or races. You don't roll % here to determine if you're a human or a D-Bee. You don't roll here to see if you're an Anarchist or Diabolic. You don't roll here to see if you're a psychic or not. That's all done up normally. The only thing this section is telling you is that psychics are not very common among Reaver Assassins. This is NOT listed as part of their O.C.C. bonuses or abilities, just part of the general statistics (which is then followed up by skills and such).

That's my take on it at least. Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Prysus wrote:
RiftJunkie wrote:Not to screw with another thread even though they are related.

Greetings and Salutations. Okay, I did a quick read (I skimmed for things I thought important), and this is my take on it.

RWB17; page 77 (discussing "Reaver O.C.C.s" as a whole): "Character who possess magical or psionic powers [snip] may fall into the Reaver category, but use the O.C.C. description, background and skill of that particular occupation."

So a Burster (to use your example) may be considered a Reaver Assassin, but use the background and skills of the Burster. So as far as Russia is concerned, he's a Reaver Assassin. As far as game mechanics go, he's a Burster.

The part where it mentions that 1% of Reaver Assassins are master psychics is in the same section that discussions % of alignments and % or races. You don't roll % here to determine if you're a human or a D-Bee. You don't roll here to see if you're an Anarchist or Diabolic. You don't roll here to see if you're a psychic or not. That's all done up normally. The only thing this section is telling you is that psychics are not very common among Reaver Assassins. This is NOT listed as part of their O.C.C. bonuses or abilities, just part of the general statistics (which is then followed up by skills and such).

That's my take on it at least. Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

When I read it again, it came off like a Burster OCC/RCC/PCC would have the "Title" and/or "Status" of Reaver. Anybody can be hired as an assassin without actually being the "Reaver Assassin OCC". The stuff on page 76 and 77 makes it out that foreigners of any OCC can become a "Reaver" (meaning a title or position) for a Warlord. It didn't specify the individual Reaver OCCs. So a Gunslinger could be a Reaver in a Warlords camp and do the job of assassin and still not be a Reaver Assassin.

To take the Reaver Assassin OCC, should mean taking the bonuses and skillset of the Reaver Assassin. Under Psionics, it states that they are not required but gives a breakdown of percentages for minor/major/master. Shouldn't this mean (even though there are no specific rules given) that there can be Master Psionic Reaver Assassins? The Smoke Soldier and the War Knight also have the possibility for Master Psychics. Only the War Knight description explains how to handle it for that class (all the psionic abilities of the Mind Melter, minus 10% of the usual ISP and half of the super psionics. They get the OCC skills for War Knight, but none of the related skills. Only 4 related by the way.). This would seem to me that only the War Knight has a restriction or it should/would have been listed for the Smoke Soldier or Reaver Assassin because PB likes to cut and paste and that would be really easy to do.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I think the master psionic is a misprint. It doesn't make sense for them to be a full on psychic class, mechanically, while still gaining their other training...but there's a while other thread about that. :P
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
RiftJunkie
Dungeon Crawler

Alrik Vas wrote:I think the master psionic is a misprint. It doesn't make sense for them to be a full on psychic class, mechanically, while still gaining their other training...but there's a while other thread about that. :P

Yeah, I get that. It just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It'd be nice if it was more clear.

Return to “Rifts®”