Share your earliest death of a character.

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Thom001
Explorer

Share your earliest death of a character.

Unread post by Thom001 »

Hello all, What is the earliest that one of your characters has died in a campaign?

Me personally it was one of the first campaigns I ever played. I was a cyber-knight and we went into a town near the Mexico border in what is currently new Mexico. The very first full size town we went in had a lot of spooked out people in it. We got rooms and were eating supper when the sun went down. The town goes crazy and all these thing come flying out of the church. Yep town was recently invaded by vampires and taken over. I can only describe the way it was told as akin to something out of from dusk til dawn. During the nonstop fighting my cyberknight managed to make it to level 2 before being slaughtered.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Re: Share your earliest death of a character.

Unread post by Mack »

Had a character die on:
-- the first attack, of
-- the first round, of
-- the first encounter, of
-- the first session, of
-- a new campaign

That character lived for maybe 20 minutes of game time. We were doing the Archie campaign from the original Sourcebook 1 (back when SB1 was just released). The robotic Rhino-Buffalo stumbled out of the woods, charged the group, and Nat 20'd my Crazy. I didn't even attempt a dodge, just had the character say "Ah, crap," before he was impaled through the chest and launched across the field.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Mechghost
Explorer

Unread post by Mechghost »

Fastest death was about 10 minutes, when the RMB first came out a group of us tried for the first time and one player had a crazy obsessed with pranks, he stuck a fusion block on the back of my character's helmet and not so funny practical joke turned me into a "headless horseman" (my character having a horse for riding)
"Did you find him?"
"Just the parts they didn't like..."
Thom001
Explorer

Unread post by Thom001 »

wow. :shock: Those are some quick deaths. Did either of you get to make a new character and rejoin the group?
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Game/campaign just started merc group on out way to our fist mission. My charter and another charter were on guard duty. My mage won initive cast CoA, The Head hunter (the other charter) in the PA ran away so the broadkill turned it rail gun on me and gm rolled a natural 20 then rolled max damage so I took 80MD with a armor that could take 35MDC. Think it was less than 5 minutes in the game. The broadkill then wasted the rest of the party before they can get in their armor. Only survivor was the head hunter that ran away.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

My first character ever, I couldn't have been older than 6 years old. Like every 6 year old I wanted to play the game my 10 and 12 year old brothers were playing. I made a D&D Paladin. Like every mean 12 year old and 10 year old (step) brother who didn't want to play with a 6 year old ... they had my character killed in his first mission. Can't remember the details but I was placed in a no-win situation and ended up dumped into a pool of acid. I went home crying. In another universe that may have been the end of my RPG life, however my brother's friends didn't think it was as funny as they did. They secretly helped me make another character and let me watch them play for a while. At the end of the next set of adventures I pulled out my character as one of the bad guys and fireball'ed my brothers to death.

... and I've been evil ever since :lol: :twisted:
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

fastest death ever....
was rolling up a char using Traveler I think... char got an event roll that killed them during char creation.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

guardiandashi wrote:fastest death ever....
was rolling up a char using Traveler I think... char got an event roll that killed them during char creation.

Same thing happened to a friend of mine. He spent hours working on mechanics and background, had something he was super happy with, finally a character he loved and had high hopes for. GM asks for %, rolls 00, kills it...kills him. Leaves the GM's house, never talks to him again.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
HWalsh
Hero

Unread post by HWalsh »

My first death was a Cyber-Knight...

Sir Miller the Brave

We came across this village where a Mega Juicer had kind of taken over, and went "Conan the Barbarian" with. He was sitting on a throne, the people had to serve him like slaves, the attractive women were chained to his pedestal... Etc. These were all unarmored S.D.C. humans and our group consisted of a Cyber-Knight (me), a Glitterboy (Who lost his boom gun in the previous adventure), a Rogue Scholar, and a Wilderness Explorer.

The Juicer basically told us that we were to bow before him, and surrender our weapons, or he would kill the townspeople.

So... Miller the Brave... Managed to convince him that such a thing was dishonorable...

Miller basically challenged him to one on one combat. A test of men to see who was stronger.

So... Here I was... Thinking that I had a pretty good chance.

I had never seen a Mega Juicer before.

Did I mention that this was way before SoT Cyber-Knights?

Back when they really sucked?

So... Yeah.

Splat. I went down. I went down swinging though. I tried every trick I could think of. When he had me dead to rights at the end, my Cyber Armor was almost depleted on my chest, my M.D. armor was already gone... The other PC's were about to jump in... But Miller waved them back, "Nay! I challenged this man to single combat and single combat it shall be! Have at thee! Ha!"

And he made one last stab... The Juicer dodged it... And finished off Miller.

Then... Seeing the Cyber-Knight broken and battered... But seeing that he told his friends not to step in... He turned to the other PC's and said...

"I took this place over because I thought I was strong. Though... I couldn't have done that. I'm not strong. I might have won, but I'm not strong. That guy was strong... Stupid... But strong. So, he wins, I'll leave."

-----

Was a cool death. Good outcome. Decent story though.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

That's some mad respect from a mega-juicer, sir. A rarity indeed.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Mack wrote:Had a character die on:
-- the first attack, of
-- the first round, of
-- the first session, of

My first campaign.

So, my follow on character was his twin...I just erased the old name, and wrote in the new one.

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

-- the first attack, of
-- the first round, of
-- the first session, of
-- a new campaign

That character lived for maybe 20 minutes of game time. We were doing the Archie campaign from the original Sourcebook 1 (back when SB1 was just released). The robotic Rhino-Buffalo stumbled out of the woods, charged the group, and Nat 20'd my Crazy. I didn't even attempt a dodge, just had the character say "Ah, crap," before he was impaled through the chest and launched across the field.

Funny, or not, I had about the same happen to me... the first monster we encountered wiped out the whole party. This was with one of the worst GMs (I discovered it later) I ever had the unluck to game with... it was mostly a case of bad luck, as on another occasion I've had a first level character kill a more powerful monster single handedly (with lucky rolls).
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Mechghost
Explorer

Thom001 wrote:wow. :shock: Those are some quick deaths. Did either of you get to make a new character and rejoin the group?

Yes, made a new character and joined up in the next town. The crazy killed a total of 4 characters before the group got tired of him and kicked him out of the group. Unfortunately he was back in the game 2 weeks later and I quit that game.
"Did you find him?"
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

-- the first attack, of
-- the first round, of
-- the first session, of
-- a new campaign

I need to add the first character of my first time playing any Palladium game (Heroes Unlimited).
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Fyrpower
Explorer

Unread post by Fyrpower »

Well not myself as I've been fairly lucky or clever playing my characters depending on which way you look at it, but I had a friend who once rolled a Headhunter from the RMB. He had his first combat encounter with a manticore (within about half an hour) whilst searching through an abandoned skyscraper whilst on his way to Kingsdale to meet up with the rest of the group, now he had a suit of NG Samson Power armour and you'd expect it to be a fairly easy victory, but I think every single roll bar one or two, he'd miss and manticore would easily hit with high numbers. Basically what could go wrong did go wrong and I must have seen about 3 or 4 rolls of 1s. Of those 1s, he collapsed through about 2 or 3 floors through the skyscraper, another 1 a mini-missile mis-fired and brought a whole floor down on top of him pinning him down for a couple of melees. It got to he point he had to abandon his power armour completely and run, but the manticore easily caught up to him and toasted him good and proper. We thought it was hilarious, he obviously didn't, however it was all legit.
"Arrogance is a poor man's confidence"

"Only when I lose myself with someone else, that I find I myself"

"You eat to live, not live to eat!"
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Come to think of it usually my charters die in the first session (normally the first 30 min) or they do not die ever.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

It was the first or second session in a campaign that my GM ran in another game (WasteWorld) But I had this cool tech ninja guy and we were stopped at the gate of a giant city wall with these huge energy cannon on top. Well we are being questioned over loud speaker and the way the questions are going my character thinks that the outcome will be that those cannon vaporize the whole lot of us. He looks around and thinks he can get out the back door and to the shelter of some rocks, so without a word of warning he bolts. He makes it about 15 feet before the cannon open fire and vaporize him from the knees up.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Thom001
Explorer

Unread post by Thom001 »

Mechghost wrote:
Thom001 wrote:wow. :shock: Those are some quick deaths. Did either of you get to make a new character and rejoin the group?

Yes, made a new character and joined up in the next town. The crazy killed a total of 4 characters before the group got tired of him and kicked him out of the group. Unfortunately he was back in the game 2 weeks later and I quit that game.

So what was the players reasoning for killing the other player's characters?
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

My first AD&D Character, a mage named Morlock the Massive (due to the random tables leaving him tall and overweight yet ironically had an 18 constitution). Got to level 2 before the GM stuck him with having to make ELEVEN poison saves (made over half of them before he finally failed), because he fell on a poisoned quilled creature of some sort and got stuck with 11 quills (and Poison saves are like the worst save table for a mage too). Total screwover.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Mechghost
Explorer

Thom001 wrote:
Mechghost wrote:

The character was obsessed with "practical jokes" as he referred to them. He was a Crazy with Obsession and a Lack of Empathy and was Diabolic so the player came up with "fusion block surprise" as his trademark prank.
"Did you find him?"
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

Mechghost wrote:
Thom001 wrote:
Mechghost wrote:

The character was obsessed with "practical jokes" as he referred to them. He was a Crazy with Obsession and a Lack of Empathy and was Diabolic so the player came up with "fusion block surprise" as his trademark prank.

Why didn't a survivor in the group just off his crazy with a fusion block surprise of their own?
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
Thom001
Explorer

Unread post by Thom001 »

Mechghost wrote:
Thom001 wrote:
Mechghost wrote:

So did he run this idea by anyone else in the group before he started killing other player characters? I only ask because I can follow the what he was doing and maybe put through the crazy filter I can see it. However, that still doesn't excuse killing other player characters. The time when I was in a campaign where the player characters all killed each other everyone in the group knew before hand.
Mechghost
Explorer

Thom001 wrote:
Mechghost wrote:
Thom001 wrote:
Mechghost wrote:

So did he run this idea by anyone else in the group before he started killing other player characters? I only ask because I can follow the what he was doing and maybe put through the crazy filter I can see it. However, that still doesn't excuse killing other player characters. The time when I was in a campaign where the player characters all killed each other everyone in the group knew before hand.

No Thom, no one knew about it until he actually did it in game, we had in previous gaming sessions (in other games, this was our first Rifts game) cases of player killing player, there always seemed to be 2 groups not one party in the game, loosely allied but always separate, the "munchkins" who just wanted to be the biggest/baddest death dealing combat gods and the "serious" gamers who wanted to role play. It was a school gaming club and we weren't allowed to "discriminate" about who wanted to play.
"Did you find him?"

Return to “Rifts®”