Extra skills for certain characrter backgrounds or RCC's...

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

tsh77769
Dungeon Crawler

Extra skills for certain characrter backgrounds or RCC's...

Unread post by tsh77769 »

I like my characters to be more skill based than some.

I notice that some RCC's such as the grackle tooth provide skills or bonuses to skills.
I also see in Triax that citizens who have served in the military get certain background skills.
Additionally I like the Rifter 49 Lazlo article where characters educated in Lazlo can get additional skills.

What other examples of these types of things can you think of?

Thanks.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Re: Extra skills for certain characrter backgrounds or RCC's

Unread post by Shark_Force »

just make friends with a rogue scholar. you can get tons of skills that way.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

tsh77769 wrote:I like my characters to be more skill based than some.

I notice that some RCC's such as the grackle tooth provide skills or bonuses to skills.
I also see in Triax that citizens who have served in the military get certain background skills.
Additionally I like the Rifter 49 Lazlo article where characters educated in Lazlo can get additional skills.

Thanks.

Some Races have cultural/way of life skills that are labeled as RCC skills, then there are Races who's stats get mushed into that race's RCC.
Just about All Races labeled as RCC's have skills or a RCC associated with it.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

Thanks.

Be a Half Wizard
    Gain the Special Aptitude of Fast Learner/Jack of Many Trades
    Sorcerous Proficiency of Granted Memories
    Brain Enhancement (Genetic Engineering)
    Super Power of Extraordinary IQ (or whatever it is actually called).
    Gaining a Mystic Martial Arts form of combat.
    Being at least a 'Renegade Native American with Traditionalist values', if not an actual Traditionalist.
    Being in the Kingsdale Magic Militia
    Going through Boot Camp
    Getting Ambidexterity from an appropriate source (you cant just declare it)
    Being a Blackmarketeer (if you choose the right benefits)
    Joining the right Street Gang(s)
    Becoming a member of Eagle Knight Securities
    Going back to school

Now the fun part begins, finding all these references! :twisted:
Last edited by 13eowulf on Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Would the Mindwerks Implants count, the ones that grant specific skills. (IIRC Mutants in Orbit/Bionic Source Book might have something similar that grants essentially bonus skills)

13eowulf wrote:

Thanks.

Be a Half Wizard
    Gain the Special Aptitune of Fast Learner/Jack of Many Trades
    Being at least a 'Renegade Native American with Traditionalist values', if not an actual Traditionalist.
    Going through Boot Camp
    Going back to school

#1: Mysteries of Magic (PF tiltle)
#2 There are several possibilities (RT 2E, maybe Dead Reign)
#4 Several possibilities come to mind (Lonestar maybe, Gene-Splicers, Gene Tech)
#5 Heroes Unlimited
#6 Ninja's & Super Spies
#7 Spirt West (guessing here)
#9 Merc Town
#10 Several examples come to mind, but "Lonestar" seems the most likely
#11 Black Marget (guessing here)
#14 Heroes Unlimited
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

ShadowLogan wrote:Would the Mindwerks Implants count, the ones that grant specific skills. (IIRC Mutants in Orbit/Bionic Source Book might have something similar that grants essentially bonus skills)

13eowulf wrote:

Thanks.

Be a Half Wizard
    Gain the Special Apptitude of Fast Learner/Jack of Many Trades
    Going through Boot Camp
    Going back to school

#1: Mysteries of Magic (PF tiltle)
#2 There are several possibilities (RT 2E, maybe Dead Reign)
#4 Several possibilities come to mind (Lonestar maybe, Gene-Splicers, Gene Tech)
#5 Heroes Unlimited
#6 Ninja's & Super Spies
#7 Spirt West (guessing here)
#9 Merc Town
#10 Several examples come to mind, but "Lonestar" seems the most likely
#11 Black Marget (guessing here)
#14 Heroes Unlimited

8/10 (7/10 if using partial marks) ;)
Oderint Dum Metuant.
tsh77769
Dungeon Crawler

Could you guys please elaborate a bit more.

Thanks.

tsh77769
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Rifts Conversion Book 1 offers additional skills that any characer rifted in can learn. IIRC, it's anywhere from 9-14 additional skills, depending on your character's background.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

tsh77769 wrote:Could you guys please elaborate a bit more.

Thanks.

tsh77769

The issue is how much can they tell you without negating your desire to buy the source. 1 poster brained stormed his known sources of skills then a second post ID some of the source books.

HU has rules on learning skills from school.

Mindworks has a skill implant that grants skills.

Some militaries/merc groups can and do train certain skills to all they work with, Kingsdale in Juicer uprising is an example of teaching X spells to all mages.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
tsh77769
Dungeon Crawler

I'm more interested in gaining actual full skills rather than a bonus to a skill. Are there some examples of that?

On a related note, if you have a True Atlantean character, reading the description of them would you get the "at least 3 languages" and possibly improved HtH on top of/instead of that for the OCC?

tsh77769
Blue_Lion
Knight

tsh77769 wrote:I'm more interested in gaining actual full skills rather than a bonus to a skill. Are there some examples of that?

On a related note, if you have a True Atlantean character, reading the description of them would you get the "at least 3 languages" and possibly improved HtH on top of/instead of that for the OCC?

tsh77769

Every thing I listed most of what other people did grant full skills, not just skill bonus.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

tsh77769 wrote:I'm more interested in gaining actual full skills rather than a bonus to a skill. Are there some examples of that?

tsh77769

Everything I listed grants full skills. The list that grants bonuses is far longer.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

tsh77769 wrote:Could you guys please elaborate a bit more.

Thanks.

tsh77769

What sort of elaboration are you requesting?

If you want full book names when I get home I can do that...
Oderint Dum Metuant.
tsh77769
Dungeon Crawler

That would be most welcomed and appreciated.

I'm looking at boot camp in Mercenary Adventures and I'm not seeing yet (still reading) where it provides a full skill. I do see where it allows you to make an unskilled check at a low base % but its not quite the same.

I know the Grackletooth is a nice example of how a character gets certain skills granted in addition to occ skills based on character background.

I frequently find that OCC's don't offer enough skills or the OCC skills et itself is strangely lacking. For example, look at how many quasi-military and even full on professional army (CS) OCC's don't even include land nav.

tsh77769
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

how many of them don't allow you to pick it up with OCC related skills?

land navigation is not a skill that is required to be an effective soldier, and I'd bet there are plenty of armies in the history of the world where it isn't a trained skill for every soldier, or even most soldiers. it's entirely possible that many soldiers in the various armies of rifts earth simply don't have the skill, and typically have to rely on roads.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

tsh77769 wrote:That would be most welcomed and appreciated.

I'm looking at boot camp in Mercenary Adventures and I'm not seeing yet (still reading) where it provides a full skill. I do see where it allows you to make an unskilled check at a low base % but its not quite the same.

I know the Grackletooth is a nice example of how a character gets certain skills granted in addition to occ skills based on character background.

I frequently find that OCC's don't offer enough skills or the OCC skills et itself is strangely lacking. For example, look at how many quasi-military and even full on professional army (CS) OCC's don't even include land nav.

tsh77769

Specifically going through Boot grants you the unique skill WP Bayonet, that, to my knowledge, isnt available anywhere else (at least, not explicitly)
Oderint Dum Metuant.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

tsh77769 wrote:That would be most welcomed and appreciated.

tsh77769

Be a Half Wizard - Mysteries of Magic

Gain the Special Aptitude of Fast Learner/Jack of Many Trades - This is from a special Aptitude table, first real appearance were in the 2nd Ed Robotech Books (Shadow Chronicles, Macross Saga, Masters Saga), it has also appeared in Dead Reign, and in the Nightbane Survival Guide.

Sorcerous Proficiency of Granted Memories - While Sorcerous Proficiencies first appeared in Through the Glass Darkly the Granted Memories is in the Rifter #27 article.

Brain Enhancement (Genetic Engineering) - This is from Powers Unlimited 2, the Eugenics section (there is a blurb in the front about people not of the Power Class being able to get enhancements, as well as how many enhancements they can get).

Super Power of Extraordinary IQ (or whatever it is actually called). - This power is in Powers Unlimited 3

Gaining a Mystic Martial Arts form of combat. - The Mystic Martial Arts forms from Ninjas and Superspies have listed skills they get along with the combat abilities. Most forms can also trade in powers for skill packages. Rifter #3 (I think) has rules for what it costs in skills to acquire an MMA form.

Being at least a 'Renegade Native American with Traditionalist values', if not an actual Traditionalist - This is from Spirit West, specifically you get access to a totem animal, and then depending on your totem animal you gain several skills.

Being in the Kingsdale Magic Militia - From Juicer Uprising, pretty basic stuff, a few skills, a few spells.

Going through Boot Camp - Mercenary Adventures.

Getting Ambidexterity from an appropriate source (you cant just declare it) - Normally a side effect or mutation this one can be acquired any number of ways, HU2 Mutants, Lone Star Human abilities, purchased via genetic engineering.

Being a Blackmarketeer (if you choose the right benefits) - From the Rifts Black Market book, this all depens on the options you choose.

Joining the right Street Gang(s) - Vampire Kingdoms (revised)

Becoming a member of Eagle Knight Securities - The Rifter #66

Going back to school - HU2 main book.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

13eowulf wrote:
    Gain the Special Aptitude of Fast Learner/Jack of Many Trades - This is from a special Aptitude table, first real appearance were in the 2nd Ed Robotech Books (Shadow Chronicles, Macross Saga, Masters Saga), it has also appeared in Dead Reign, and in the Nightbane Survival Guide.

This is also a potential result in the Human Mutants section/table of Rifts World Book 13: Lone Star.

13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Glistam wrote:
13eowulf wrote:

This is also a potential result in the Human Mutants section/table of Rifts World Book 13: Lone Star.

Well, to get specific, the Lone Star table has Insatiable Desire to Learn, which is quite different from the Fast Learner/Jack of Many Trades option from the Special Aptitudes table. And I do mean quite different both in terms of number of skills, range of available skills, abilities in addition to skills, and what level the skill(s) are available.
In other words, they are not the same thing, and I didnt miss it or mistakenly leave it out.

The Lone Star table is also Humans Only, the Special Aptitude tables are not.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Very well. But it is an additional method to gain skills.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

13eowulf wrote:

Thanks.

1) Be a Half Wizard
    2) Gain the Special Aptitude of Fast Learner/Jack of Many Trades
    3) Sorcerous Proficiency of Granted Memories
    4) Brain Enhancement (Genetic Engineering)
    5) Super Power of Extraordinary IQ (or whatever it is actually called).
    6) Gaining a Mystic Martial Arts form of combat.
    7) Being at least a 'Renegade Native American with Traditionalist values', if not an actual Traditionalist.
    8) Being in the Kingsdale Magic Militia
    9) Going through Boot Camp
    10) Getting Ambidexterity from an appropriate source (you cant just declare it)
    11) Being a Blackmarketeer (if you choose the right benefits)
    12) Joining the right Street Gang(s)
    13) Becoming a member of Eagle Knight Securities
    14) Going back to school

1) PF MoM1
2) R Lone Star special abilities table.
3) AU:GG (gene eng.)
4) Rifter ?? (doesn't remember off the top of the head)
5) PU3
6) Mystic China for chi base MAFs and RC2 for ISP based mystic h2hs.
7) Spirit West is the only place
8] ?? *shrugs*
9) ?? *shrugs*
10) lone star specilty trais table, AUGG gene eng, R19 skill, MC triad assassin MAF (limited) [for some reason I'm thinking there is one more place.]
11) ?? *shrugs*
12) ?? *shrugs*
13) ?? *shrugs*
14) HU1&2 & BTS1, with lesser aspects found with the RUE roage scolor
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Blue_Lion
Knight

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
13eowulf wrote:

Thanks.

1) Be a Half Wizard
    2) Gain the Special Aptitude of Fast Learner/Jack of Many Trades
    3) Sorcerous Proficiency of Granted Memories
    4) Brain Enhancement (Genetic Engineering)
    5) Super Power of Extraordinary IQ (or whatever it is actually called).
    6) Gaining a Mystic Martial Arts form of combat.
    7) Being at least a 'Renegade Native American with Traditionalist values', if not an actual Traditionalist.
    8) Being in the Kingsdale Magic Militia
    9) Going through Boot Camp
    10) Getting Ambidexterity from an appropriate source (you cant just declare it)
    11) Being a Blackmarketeer (if you choose the right benefits)
    12) Joining the right Street Gang(s)
    13) Becoming a member of Eagle Knight Securities
    14) Going back to school

1) PF MoM1
2) R Lone Star special abilities table.
3) AU:GG (gene eng.)
4) Rifter ?? (doesn't remember off the top of the head)
5) PU3
6) Mystic China for chi base MAFs and RC2 for ISP based mystic h2hs.
7) Spirit West is the only place
8] ?? *shrugs*
9) ?? *shrugs*
10) lone star specilty trais table, AUGG gene eng, R19 skill, MC triad assassin MAF (limited) [for some reason I'm thinking there is one more place.]
11) ?? *shrugs*
12) ?? *shrugs*
13) ?? *shrugs*
14) HU1&2 & BTS1, with lesser aspects found with the RUE roage scolor

8 is juicer uprising.
11 rifts black market I am thinking.
not sure on 9, 12 and 13. 9 might reference to skill groups from ninjas and super spies.

tsh77769
Dungeon Crawler

I looked in Vampire Kindoms revised in regards to the street gangs. I could not find anything other than a couple bonus skills for an "honest cop". Am I missing something?

tsh77769
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

tsh77769 wrote:I looked in Vampire Kindoms revised in regards to the street gangs. I could not find anything other than a couple bonus skills for an "honest cop". Am I missing something?

tsh77769

Specifically The Troggs has a blurb about how each member must learn certain skills, and a liberal interpretation would be that they teach new members these skills.

Personally if I was running a game that would NOT be my interpretation, and I would never submit a legitimate character to a GM with such either, but it IS there, and I try not to interpret for others.

Curious: I missed the Honest Cop part, what page is that?
Oderint Dum Metuant.
tsh77769
Dungeon Crawler

Page 131. Under good cops...where?

Return to “Rifts®”