colation holidays & holiday skelebots?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

abe
Hero

colation holidays & holiday skelebots?

Unread post by abe »

what holidays does the coalition celebrate & do they have a special skelebots that they use during said holidays?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Furoan
Wanderer

Re: colation holidays & holiday skelebots?

Unread post by Furoan »

While I'm not sure of Coalition Holidays some suggestions I could make.

* Emperor's Birthday
* Chi-Town/Coalition Founding Day
* Memorial Day for possibly something like the Sorcerers Revenge or some other 'lots of coalition solders died at the hands of DBee's or Mages'.

...on another note, Festive Skelebots are the most hilarious thing ever.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Emperor Prosek's father's birthday, aka Founder's day.
Our Earth day Summer Equinox
Get off Our Earth day Winter Equinox not because of the magic but because it's when the days start getting longer, a return to the light.
Citizen's day
Victory day the celebration of past victories and the future victory, reclaiming Earth
Ascension day, the day the PA calendar was established marking mankind's climb out of the dark age
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

what about holiday skelebots though?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

abe wrote:what about holiday skelebots though?

No.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

skelebots are pretty much exclusively used in places where CS civilians are not going to be found in ordinary circumstances (i mean, you *could* find a CS civilian wandering around in the pecos empire, but you wouldn't expect to under ordinary circumstances).

as such, the only holiday the skelebots would reflect is "slaughter things Prosek doesn't like day". this particular holiday is celebrated outside of the CS by skelebots every single day of the year, beginning with the start of the day and ending with either the end of the day, the destruction of the skelebot, or the death of everything that is different. forms of celebration generally include the merciless slaughter of anything that is not on the "do not kill" list of the skelebots.

proper holiday attire is to dress up like a black skeletal robot with a variable frequency laser rifle. common greetings include "Die, D-bee scum", "You are not welcome here you filthy monstrosities", and "You have negative 5 seconds to leave this area, or you will be shot".

needless to say, this holiday is one that most people outside of the CS are not fond of (and which many within the CS are not particularly aware of).
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

As an aside, the CS states is the place where every day looks like Dia de los Muertos if you are in the army. :D
Boethermsbrukan
Explorer
Comment: Defiling Heir

Unread post by Boethermsbrukan »

SolCannibal wrote:As an aside, the CS states is the place where every day looks like Dia de los Muertos if you are in the army. :D

I guess I'm the kind of pup that feels better about celebrating the lives and afterlives of people who really did make you smile, and not dictatorial armies with skull-emblazoned helmets that rarely do! ^_^

Besides, I bet Prosek also would ban sugar candy skulls if they were smuggled far enough north of the Day of the Dead celebrations. Nasty, fascist jerks, they are. Those sweets are probably poison to Prosek and crew.

-Boe.
SolCannibal
Champion

Boethermsbrukan wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:As an aside, the CS states is the place where every day looks like Dia de los Muertos if you are in the army. :D

I guess I'm the kind of pup that feels better about celebrating the lives and afterlives of people who really did make you smile, and not dictatorial armies with skull-emblazoned helmets that rarely do! ^_^

Besides, I bet Prosek also would ban sugar candy skulls if they were smuggled far enough north of the Day of the Dead celebrations. Nasty, fascist jerks, they are. Those sweets are probably poison to Prosek and crew.

-Boe.

Interestingly, an association with ancestors and such might be an interesting way to sell the CS image further south of Pecos and in some other areas settled by people descended from mexicans and other pre-rifts neighboring countries.
Boethermsbrukan
Explorer

SolCannibal wrote:Interestingly, an association with ancestors and such might be an interesting way to sell the CS image further south of Pecos and in some other areas settled by people descended from mexicans and other pre-rifts neighboring countries.

True. As long as the vampires are avoidable (and even in populated areas where they're present but not totally in control, like El Paso...World Book One; damn, do I feel old. ^_^) and there's plenty of community support, I suspect Day Of The Dead celebrations and tributes are still a yearly thing. What would suck, tho' (besides vampires ^_^) is if the Coalition's 'heraldry' was mistaken for honouring the dead instead of what the Empire usually does to traditional cultural gatherings.

-Boe.
SolCannibal
Champion

Boethermsbrukan wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:Interestingly, an association with ancestors and such might be an interesting way to sell the CS image further south of Pecos and in some other areas settled by people descended from mexicans and other pre-rifts neighboring countries.

True. As long as the vampires are avoidable (and even in populated areas where they're present but not totally in control, like El Paso...World Book One; damn, do I feel old. ^_^) and there's plenty of community support, I suspect Day Of The Dead celebrations and tributes are still a yearly thing. What would suck, tho' (besides vampires ^_^) is if the Coalition's 'heraldry' was mistaken for honouring the dead instead of what the Empire usually does to traditional cultural gatherings.

Who knows how could it turn out.... the CS would have to really push itself south first to the subject to even enter into question.
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Generally military gear is not done in holiday lines. The cost is to high to make an skelabot, PA, or body armor a system only intended a for a few months not worth the expense.

However I can see heroes of the year Action figures being made for sale in the super cities. Maybe even as small sdc robot dolls.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
SolCannibal
Champion

Blue_Lion wrote:Generally military gear is not done in holiday lines. The cost is to high to make an skelabot, PA, or body armor a system only intended a for a few months not worth the expense.

However I can see heroes of the year Action figures being made for sale in the super cities. Maybe even as small sdc robot dolls.

Holyday painting and customizations, sort of like jet art in modern times, might be possible too, who knows.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Minus the festivly colored skulls.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
SolCannibal
Champion

Zer0 Kay wrote:

Well, if modern jet pilots can paint ladies & such in their machines, why not CS soldiers with festively colored skulls in some places or occasions?
In a worst case scenario the Black Market could make a killing (sorry) selling those west or south of Pecos. :lol:
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

apex-prey wrote:I could see a easter kind of holiday only Jesus would be all of humanity
As for a skelbot they could be sent around to give out eggs

Seriously? Why, when they can have Lonestar make a bunnieboy?
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

SolCannibal wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

Well, if modern jet pilots can paint ladies & such in their machines, why not CS soldiers with festively colored skulls in some places or occasions?
In a worst case scenario the Black Market could make a killing (sorry) selling those west or south of Pecos. :lol:

Modern? Uh, nose art is against regulation I can look up the specific AFI if you'd like. It is due to the mixed sexes and MEO.
Boethermsbrukan
Explorer

SolCannibal wrote:Who knows how could it turn out.... the CS would have to really push itself south first to the subject to even enter into question.

True. I guess it depends on how 'hypothetical' you want to get; vampires don't dominate the same parts of North America as where the Coalition has their strongest powerbase in the eastern former United States, not like their home turf in the Yucatan, Mexico and a few bits and pieces of the north end of South America, but finding some small 'nests' in New Mexico/Texas (think Lone Star) wouldn't be out of the question, and there are at least some canon (New West, WB 14) vampires in Silvereno and the surrounding area.

Of course, I'm using the overlay of where vampires are. Mexico is home to one heck of a lot of humans, not a few of which are Latin or Spanish or Native American (or a combination of the former) and would probably be keeping the Day Of The Dead celebrations and tributes alive and regularly. Since it's widely accepted that the dead do stick around in some form by the 'modern day' future of Rifts P.A., it'd probably have a better grounding and sensibility than in our own time, at least in terms of how widespread the belief in the awareness of the afterliving is.

Besides, those candies are awesome. ^_^

-Boe.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

Modern? Uh, nose art is against regulation I can look up the specific AFI if you'd like. It is due to the mixed sexes and MEO.

Sadly we'll likely never see the kind of awesome work as we used to in the regards of nose art ever again due to political correctness.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
SolCannibal
Champion

Nightmask wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

Sadly we'll likely never see the kind of awesome work as we used to in the regards of nose art ever again due to political correctness.

I remember some examples of it still being done at present, just not with pin-up ladies specifically. Sharks, dragons and other stuff one sometimes see in headbangers vans and such. That said never really researched the subject specifically and do admit might be mixing up stuff.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I think the Coalition celebrates Festivus based on Pre-Rifts "Seinfeld" episodes, but that they are now attempting to cover up the origins of the holiday and possessing Seinfeld is punishable by death.

Every Coalition home has a Festivus pole, and pole-dancing is a past-time taught to people of all ages to promote physical fitness and celebrate HUMAN athleticism and sensuality.

A side-benefit of this is that it creates acceptance for support poles within the structures of the massive apartment complexes that people in Chi-Town are squashed into, to help support the dozens of levels above them.

In addition to vertical poles, this has also created an enthusiasm for horizantal ones, and many CS citizens have become chin-up fanatics to improve the health of their spines and to better grip laser rifles and vibro-swords. Joseph is an avid lover of physical culture (his dad is too focused on genocide) and is intending to create a new holiday (nearer to summer solstice rather than winter) to celibrate the horizantal pole.

These holidays help to distract from other holidays originally celebrated near the solstices (by celebrating a secular holiday they are not tempted to celebrate religious ones) and to get their minds off any mischief mages might get up to during those high PPE periods (or any random rifts that might open)

The CS has also designed skelebot pole-dancers to instruct the publik on how to best exhibit their Feats of Strength.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Hey, they do use skelebots for festivals.
A giant dragon skelebot that emperor Prosek ceremoniously slays on
Victory day, the anniversary of Tolkeen's defeat.
Skelebots that look like various D-bee species that are allowed to live in the burbs under the protective wing of the CS, for benovolence day not that the citizens know they are skelebots but, Prosek doesn't want to be anywhere near the filthy vermin.
A Sploog slaver shaped skelebot that the Emperor ceremoniously slays for Salvation Day.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Tor wrote:I think the Coalition celebrates Festivus based on Pre-Rifts "Seinfeld" episodes, but that they are now attempting to cover up the origins of the holiday and possessing Seinfeld is punishable by death.

Every Coalition home has a Festivus pole, and pole-dancing is a past-time taught to people of all ages to promote physical fitness and celebrate HUMAN athleticism and sensuality.

A side-benefit of this is that it creates acceptance for support poles within the structures of the massive apartment complexes that people in Chi-Town are squashed into, to help support the dozens of levels above them.

In addition to vertical poles, this has also created an enthusiasm for horizantal ones, and many CS citizens have become chin-up fanatics to improve the health of their spines and to better grip laser rifles and vibro-swords. Joseph is an avid lover of physical culture (his dad is too focused on genocide) and is intending to create a new holiday (nearer to summer solstice rather than winter) to celibrate the horizantal pole.

These holidays help to distract from other holidays originally celebrated near the solstices (by celebrating a secular holiday they are not tempted to celebrate religious ones) and to get their minds off any mischief mages might get up to during those high PPE periods (or any random rifts that might open)

The CS has also designed skelebot pole-dancers to instruct the publik on how to best exhibit their Feats of Strength.

humorous and logical, then the skelebots came in and it turned to hilarious.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

how about a santa-type of skelebot for Christmas?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
SolCannibal
Champion

abe wrote:how about a santa-type of skelebot for Christmas?

With a group of centaur-type skelebots for reindeer? :D
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Santa could actually be a Hellion-skelebot, just hide the horns under the hat and the extra arms and tail inside his gut.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

SolCannibal wrote:

Really u2? Thought we already discussed that they wouldn't celebrate Christmas it any other Holy Day that was based on faith in a supernatural being especially one that claims man was created. Heck they probably refuse to call them holidays since the word is from holy days.
what's wrong with Christmas and the CS?
Christmas = Christ as in christened as in annointed as in messiah as in Jesus
Mas= Mass as in litergy aka Eucharist time of worship.
Celebration of one part of a Triune God born into this world from a virgin.
Who is present throughout time died as a sacrifice for the undeserving who are separated from their creator because of their deviations from his way.
Who dares to call all that are against his ways evil and that which is his way good, regardless of carnage or destruction, construction or healing.
But wait that's not all he'll save you too from eternal damnation in a fiery lake if you just accept him as your lord and savior.

Yeah Karl would really go for that. And after they take communion, pray and all say an amen.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Tor wrote:Santa could actually be a Hellion-skelebot, just hide the horns under the hat and the extra arms and tail inside his gut.

Wouldn't that be more like the Krungle or whatever the anti Claus is?
SolCannibal
Champion

Zer0 Kay wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:

Really u2? Thought we already discussed that they wouldn't celebrate Christmas it any other Holy Day that was based on faith in a supernatural being especially one that claims man was created. Heck they probably refuse to call them holidays since the word is from holy days.

Really? I thought it would be self-evident my last post was anything but serious - or sober. :mrgreen:

More seriously now, beside Labor Day and 4th of July, maybe New Year, what other commemorations might hold over?
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

SolCannibal wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:

Really? I thought it would be self-evident my last post was anything but serious - or sober. :mrgreen:

More seriously now, beside Labor Day and 4th of July, maybe New Year, what other commemorations might hold over?

No... I missed the sarcasm emote :P
But since you partook in to much communion wine I guess it's to be expected :fool: :)
President--> Emperors day
Memorial day, patriots day, of course all meanings would be "slightly" altered.
SolCannibal
Champion

Zer0 Kay wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:

No... I missed the sarcasm emote :P

Well, as the old saying goes, Dyval is in the details. :twisted:
SolCannibal
Champion

apex-prey wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Tor wrote:Santa could actually be a Hellion-skelebot, just hide the horns under the hat and the extra arms and tail inside his gut.

The krumpes is part of Germanic lore where he would ride with Santa and spank bad children with branches

Do you mean the Krampus?

I can see people in the NGR turning Krampusnacht upside down, making it into a demon-hunting holiday when Saint Nicholas equips everyone with ramjet rounds and iron or silver clubs - even the children - to join in the great collective monster smackdown. :wink:
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

SolCannibal wrote:
apex-prey wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

The krumpes is part of Germanic lore where he would ride with Santa and spank bad children with branches

Do you mean the Krampus?

I can see people in the NGR turning Krampusnacht upside down, making it into a demon-hunting holiday when Saint Nicholas equips everyone with ramjet rounds and iron or silver clubs - even the children - to join in the great collective monster smackdown. :wink:

Yes, that'd be awesome. Sure the Dbees don't like that day. May be why there are few demon looking Dbees in the NGR.
Nightmask
Palladin

apex-prey wrote:Valentine's day ( made by greating card company's )
Sweetest day
Thanksgiving
Arbor. Day?
Earth day

Small correction, Valentine's day wasn't made by greeting card companies and long predates the concept of greeting cards.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
SolCannibal
Champion

Zer0 Kay wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:
apex-prey wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

Do you mean the Krampus?

Yes, that'd be awesome. Sure the Dbees don't like that day. May be why there are few demon looking Dbees in the NGR.

Ah, that's what a surprise spank with a wooden racket is for - if they feel it, yell and jump, they are SDC and may join the party in clubbing instead of being clubbed. If you are MDC but have no iron or silver vulnerability, you're no demon and deevil, well, it won't hurt anyway so you might as well take it all in good humor for the kids. :P
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nightmask wrote:
Sweetest day
Thanksgiving
Arbor. Day?
Earth day

Small correction, Valentine's day wasn't made by greeting card companies and long predates the concept of greeting cards.

It is considered a Hallmark holiday due to it commercialization. Preyed upon by candy, flower and greeting card sales sources. Originally a day of observance for Saint Valentius.
Nightmask
Palladin

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Sweetest day
Thanksgiving
Arbor. Day?
Earth day

It is considered a Hallmark holiday due to it commercialization. Preyed upon by candy, flower and greeting card sales sources. Originally a day of observance for Saint Valentius.

While commercialism led to capitalizing on the interest in gift and card giving moving Valentine's Day from a small observance to such a common event it still doesn't make it a creation of greeting card companies. In fact it's the opposite, the greeting card industry came into existence to respond to the demand from people for things to give on Valentine's Day.

SolCannibal
Champion

Nightmask wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Sweetest day
Thanksgiving
Arbor. Day?
Earth day

While commercialism led to capitalizing on the interest in gift and card giving moving Valentine's Day from a small observance to such a common event it still doesn't make it a creation of greeting card companies. In fact it's the opposite, the greeting card industry came into existence to respond to the demand from people for things to give on Valentine's Day.

I think there's a divide here between the day of Saint Valentin, an old holiday related to the saint of the same name, and a date commemorating romantic love, that may or not be associated with the same day, depending on specific country - in Brazil and Portugal for example "Dia dos Namorados" has nothing to do with that saint (actually more connected with Saint Anthony of Padua, i think).
Nightmask
Palladin

SolCannibal wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Sweetest day
Thanksgiving
Arbor. Day?
Earth day

I think there's a divide here between the day of Saint Valentin, an old holiday related to the saint of the same name, and a date commemorating romantic love, that may or not be associated with the same day, depending on specific country - in Brazil and Portugal for example "Dia dos Namorados" has nothing to do with that saint (actually more connected with Saint Anthony of Padua, i think).

Much like with Christmas and Halloween, Valentine's Day existed well before the commercializing of things resulted in what we're familiar with today. None of them were created by the Greeting Card companies or other commercial industries to push products, same with Mother's Day and Father's Day, that's simply how things evolved over time as people stopped doing for themselves and started expecting some commercial company to supply them things to give around or to celebrate the holiday with instead.

The only question you're left with is which ones if any might have survived to retain a measure of celebration/observance after the Cataclysm particularly in the CS. Given how revisionist the CS is on history if they did have events to celebrate (after all they're good to distract the masses) they would likely squash any memory or attempt to observe such ancient things and instead try and create whole-cloth events and present them as having always existed or new observances just to keep people content.

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nightmask wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Sweetest day
Thanksgiving
Arbor. Day?
Earth day

I didn't say it did I even pointed out which saint it was a veneration day of.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nightmask wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nightmask wrote:Small correction, Valentine's day wasn't made by greeting card companies and long predates the concept of greeting cards.

Much like with Christmas and Halloween, Valentine's Day existed well before the commercializing of things resulted in what we're familiar with today. None of them were created by the Greeting Card companies or other commercial industries to push products, same with Mother's Day and Father's Day, that's simply how things evolved over time as people stopped doing for themselves and started expecting some commercial company to supply them things to give around or to celebrate the holiday with instead.

The only question you're left with is which ones if any might have survived to retain a measure of celebration/observance after the Cataclysm particularly in the CS. Given how revisionist the CS is on history if they did have events to celebrate (after all they're good to distract the masses) they would likely squash any memory or attempt to observe such ancient things and instead try and create whole-cloth events and present them as having always existed or new observances just to keep people content.

What about sweethearts day, National chocolate day, and the ridiculous bevy of boring borderline boobery that passes as the tertiary holidays (more like observances) of which their is one for every day of the year and for each month, surprised they don't tag a passed year with a "cause".
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

SolCannibal wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Sweetest day
Thanksgiving
Arbor. Day?
Earth day

Saint Valentinus why do people keep anglosizing the names?! It is like Alexander becoming Alejandro in Spanish. I don't care how other people pronounce something my name (not Alexander) is pronounced a certain way not )(*&#$^%)@ because that is how the name is traditionally said in your country. Ugh... okay stupid pointless soapbox stepped down from.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I think they would nip any religious associated holidays in the bud, although they may research them for creating new empire-approved holidays.

Even non-religious pre-Rifts holidays would probably be off-limits though, because it is a link to the past and would support historical documents that cited such holidays.

There is probably a CS department for managing and creating celebrations though.

I think we would see an eqiuvalent of 'founder's day' or 'veteran's day' or 'presidents' day' (emperor's day), probably at different dates than those we know of, based on CS accomplishments. Would probably see mother/father day as well, perhaps on different months than in pre-rifts dates though. Perhaps autumn/winter for mother/father instead of spring/summer.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Tor wrote:I think they would nip any religious associated holidays in the bud, although they may research them for creating new empire-approved holidays.

Even non-religious pre-Rifts holidays would probably be off-limits though, because it is a link to the past and would support historical documents that cited such holidays.

There is probably a CS department for managing and creating celebrations though.

I think we would see an eqiuvalent of 'founder's day' or 'veteran's day' or 'presidents' day' (emperor's day), probably at different dates than those we know of, based on CS accomplishments. Would probably see mother/father day as well, perhaps on different months than in pre-rifts dates though. Perhaps autumn/winter for mother/father instead of spring/summer.

Or they may completely overlay them just like the Catholics did with so many pagan holidays, but the CS wouldnt be doung it to try to aid in conversion but to add a layer of misdirection. "Oh that just got out history wrong." "What, Christmas? No, that is a ruse they're trying to twist Founder's day, take something good and wholesome and try to make it something bad. Proves they're evil if you ask me."
SolCannibal
Champion

Zer0 Kay wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:I think there's a divide here between the day of Saint Valentin, an old holiday related to the saint of the same name, and a date commemorating romantic love, that may or not be associated with the same day, depending on specific country - in Brazil and Portugal for example "Dia dos Namorados" has nothing to do with that saint (actually more connected with Saint Anthony of Padua, i think).

Saint Valentinus why do people keep anglosizing the names?! It is like Alexander becoming Alejandro in Spanish. I don't care how other people pronounce something my name (not Alexander) is pronounced a certain way not )(*&#$^%)@ because that is how the name is traditionally said in your country. Ugh... okay stupid pointless soapbox stepped down from.

Valentin counts as anglicism (sp?)? I thought they got it from french or spanish... honestly never researched the subject.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

SolCannibal wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:I think there's a divide here between the day of Saint Valentin, an old holiday related to the saint of the same name, and a date commemorating romantic love, that may or not be associated with the same day, depending on specific country - in Brazil and Portugal for example "Dia dos Namorados" has nothing to do with that saint (actually more connected with Saint Anthony of Padua, i think).

Valentin counts as anglicism (sp?)? I thought they got it from french or spanish... honestly never researched the subject.

I know, but for some reason it drives me nuts it would be like calling Cesar Augustus, Cesar August. Oh well, it's just my opinion. :)
SolCannibal
Champion

Anyways, a number of holidays of folkloric or supertitious roots may survive through a number of cultural or religious changes, Coalition liking it or not.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

SolCannibal wrote:Anyways, a number of holidays of folkloric or supertitious roots may survive through a number of cultural or religious changes, Coalition liking it or not.

Yup, just like books and pre rifts memoribilia will survive. But what happens when the CS finds someone celebrating Christmas or Hanukkah? Nothing like getting your home ransacked for a first offense.
SolCannibal
Champion

Zer0 Kay wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:Anyways, a number of holidays of folkloric or supertitious roots may survive through a number of cultural or religious changes, Coalition liking it or not.

Yup, just like books and pre rifts memoribilia will survive. But what happens when the CS finds someone celebrating Christmas or Hanukkah? Nothing like getting your home ransacked for a first offense.

There are infractions and infractions - and grunts that don't give a damn as long as it doesn't bring trouble in one's work hours. If it doesn't rile the stalkers or the doggies, why not look to the other side with an old lady's helpful cup of eggnog to warm the belly?

But, well, who knows...
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

SolCannibal wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

There are infractions and infractions - and grunts that don't give a damn as long as it doesn't bring trouble in one's work hours. If it doesn't rile the stalkers or the doggies, why not look to the other side with an old lady's helpful cup of eggnog to warm the belly?

But, well, who knows...

Yeah, I remember how the SS units were all oh don't worry the regular troops are fine helping those Jews across the border and that guy playing with the dradle he is fine too, I here the Furer enjoys the occasional dradle spin too. Lets go.

Wait a second you work for the CS PR agency don't you? Trying to make em look good.

Return to “Rifts®”