Can someone clarify? Cyber-Knights parrying energy blasts?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

HWalsh
Hero

Can someone clarify? Cyber-Knights parrying energy blasts?

Unread post by HWalsh »

I apologize, this might be answered elsewhere but I couldn't find a definitive answer for post RUE gaming and I am so confused...

The RUE says nobody can parry projectile attacks...
The GM's guide gives rules, but they are at -10+ difficulties, and you apply no PP or anything else to the roll, making it virtually impossible...
Then people on here said that, you can, but it is at -5 if they are inside of 50 feet, but no penalty beyond that...

Can someone please tell me what it really is and where I can find it? Heh... I'm sorry if I sound like a total novice here... But well... I sort of am.

I love, absolutely love, the fiction of Rifts and have for years and years and years... But never really played it as I never had a group that could grasp the rules nor anyone who could GM for me until now... In this case, I asked my GM, and even he wasn't sure what the current rule is so I figured I'd ask.

In this case we are specifically concerned with a Cyber-Knight.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Re: Can someone clarify? Cyber-Knights parrying energy blast

Unread post by Shark_Force »

just tell your GM to pick whichever one he's most comfortable with. there are multiple different rules for this in different places (honestly, i'm pretty sure there are others that you haven't even come across yet), and none of them clearly indicate which is "more official" than the others.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Can you cite the specific RUE phrase regarding not able able to parry projectiles?

Also, aren't 'projectile' and 'energy blast' mutually exclusive categories?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
HWalsh
Hero

Unread post by HWalsh »

Tor wrote:Can you cite the specific RUE phrase regarding not able able to parry projectiles?

Also, aren't 'projectile' and 'energy blast' mutually exclusive categories?

Rifts: Ultimate Edition
Page 346

The last sentence under the heading, "Parry."

"Bullets and energy attacks cannot (as a rule) be parried."

-----
So, while "projectile" and "energy blast" are indeed usually mutually exclusive terms in this case, since a bullet is a projectile, and well... Energy blasts are energy blasts... There ya go. Heh.
rat_bastard
Kreelockian
Comment: Maybe if my sig line is clever enough someone will finally love me.

Unread post by rat_bastard »

Officially they cannot, but I would let a cyber knight parry tech produced energy blasts because of their senses and the rule of cool.
"If a child shows a particular abundance of pity for fools or an overwhelming disdain for jibber jabber he is plucked from his family and raised by monks in the T-emple."
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

rat_bastard wrote:Officially they cannot, but I would let a cyber knight parry tech produced energy blasts because of their senses and the rule of cool.

cyber knights have a special rule somewhere that lets them do it. no need for a special rule, you just have to find the official one, wherever it is :P
Athos
Hero
Comment: Free Missouri, stand up to Apartheid everywhere.

Unread post by Athos »

I think they can only dodge, not parry the modern weapons.

Star Wars is the only game I know of where you can parry laser blasts.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Shark_Force wrote:
rat_bastard wrote:Officially they cannot, but I would let a cyber knight parry tech produced energy blasts because of their senses and the rule of cool.

cyber knights have a special rule somewhere that lets them do it. no need for a special rule, you just have to find the official one, wherever it is :P

CB1 11
The Crazies, Juicer, Borg, Simvan Warrior, Cyber-Knight, Dragon, and those operating power armor or bots (excluding the Glitter Boy) can attempt to parry a bullet or single energy blast IF they have a suitable item/shield with which to parry. The Cyber-Knight, Mind melter and Master Psionic who can create a Psi-Sword or Psi-Shield can also attempt to parry mega-damage energy attacks. Likewise, practitioners of magic who have a magic sword or magic shield can try to parry energy attacks.

BUT that rule was long before the "-10 Rule," and even longer before RUE.

It seems to have been upheld in spirit at least in the RGMG, but I'm not sure of the status as of RUE.

Is there part of RUE clearly stating that things have changed?

"Bullets and energy attacks cannot (as a rule) be parried" does NOT specify that things have been changed. The fact that they state "as a rule" specifically indicates that there are exceptions.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Killer Cyborg wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:

CB1 11
The Crazies, Juicer, Borg, Simvan Warrior, Cyber-Knight, Dragon, and those operating power armor or bots (excluding the Glitter Boy) can attempt to parry a bullet or single energy blast IF they have a suitable item/shield with which to parry. The Cyber-Knight, Mind melter and Master Psionic who can create a Psi-Sword or Psi-Shield can also attempt to parry mega-damage energy attacks. Likewise, practitioners of magic who have a magic sword or magic shield can try to parry energy attacks.

BUT that rule was long before the "-10 Rule," and even longer before RUE.

It seems to have been upheld in spirit at least in the RGMG, but I'm not sure of the status as of RUE.

Is there part of RUE clearly stating that things have changed?

"Bullets and energy attacks cannot (as a rule) be parried" does NOT specify that things have been changed. The fact that they state "as a rule" specifically indicates that there are exceptions.

Greetings and Salutations. I never really noticed this before but...

RCB1 mentions the Psi-Shield, and RGMG goes so far as to say it "works great."

Yet, unless I'm misreading it, the power write-up of Psi-Shield in Rifts (original), RGMG, and RUE all tell us it can NOT parry energy or projectiles. ((Note: Psi-Shields actually can parry these types of attacks in PF, but that doesn't really affect Rifts much.))

This doesn't necessarily mean anything has changed, but it does call that section into question (in my opinion). After all, I have to wonder if a "great" method doesn't work at all, how well do these other methods work? o_O

Always love a good Cyber-Knight question. Farewell and safe journeys to all.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.

Return to “Rifts®”