Cyber Knights and Auto-Dodge

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

alogan
D-Bee

Cyber Knights and Auto-Dodge

Unread post by alogan »

I'm assuming that Cyber Knights don't actually get auto-dodge against tech until level 5, but the way the description reads it makes it sound like they have auto-dodge already and are just getting a +4 bonus at level 5. Can anyone clarify?
SpiritInterface
Hero

Re: Cyber Knights and Auto-Dodge

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

alogan wrote:I'm assuming that Cyber Knights don't actually get auto-dodge against tech until level 5, but the way the description reads it makes it sound like they have auto-dodge already and are just getting a +4 bonus at level 5. Can anyone clarify?

It can be read either way, the group I mostly game with ruled that you start with the auto-dodge with PP bonuses and you get the +4 at 5th level.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

don't get it at all until level 5.

much like various other forms of HtH combat, sometimes you get an ability and it starts off with a bonus. for example, if a hand-to-hand style gives you death blow on a 19-20, does that mean you could previously do a death blow somehow? nope. it just means that you got a bonus to your chance as soon as you got the ability.

it's not very clearly written, but that is how it works.
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Treebore wrote:
SpiritInterface wrote:
alogan wrote:I'm assuming that Cyber Knights don't actually get auto-dodge against tech until level 5, but the way the description reads it makes it sound like they have auto-dodge already and are just getting a +4 bonus at level 5. Can anyone clarify?

It can be read either way, the group I mostly game with ruled that you start with the auto-dodge with PP bonuses and you get the +4 at 5th level.

Yep. I believe it is more clearly stated in the original appearance of this version of the Cyber Knight. Can't recall the name of that book or series, I just recall it being in that 6 book series.

Do you mean Siege on Tolkeen 04 - Coalition Wars - Cyber-Knights?
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Prysus
Champion

Unread post by Prysus »

Greetings and Salutations. Well, we don't see "Auto-Dodge" listed in their Special O.C.C. Training & Bonuses (RUE, page 63), or in their Level One basics of Zen Combat, or anywhere else.

With that said, if a player tried to make the case that a Cyber-Knight starts with Auto-Dodge at level 1 (because of the wording of the level 5 ability), I'd happily allow him to have it at level 1 ... as long as he followed the restrictions of the ability. Which, in this case, means that even though he gets Auto-Dodge at level 1, he can use it again zero opponents. If you don't get what I mean, read the last line of the Level 5 ability ("applies to all attacks from a single, primary opponent at level five"). This advances at higher levels. So if the number increases as you level, and the number at level 5 is one opponent ... then that by default means that prior to that it had be zero opponents.

Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys for now.
Living the Fantasy (fan website)

Rifter #45; Of Bows & Arrows (Archery; expanding rules and abilities)
Rifter #52; From Ruins to Runes (Living Rune Weapons; playable characters and NPC)
Rifter #55; Home Away From Home (Quorian Culture; expanded from PF Book 9: Baalgor Wastelands)

Official PDF versions of Rifter #45, #52, and #55 can be found at DriveThruRPG.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

Nice analysis, Prysus.
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Prysus wrote:

Greetings and Salutations. Well, we don't see "Auto-Dodge" listed in their Special O.C.C. Training & Bonuses (RUE, page 63), or in their Level One basics of Zen Combat, or anywhere else.

With that said, if a player tried to make the case that a Cyber-Knight starts with Auto-Dodge at level 1 (because of the wording of the level 5 ability), I'd happily allow him to have it at level 1 ... as long as he followed the restrictions of the ability. Which, in this case, means that even though he gets Auto-Dodge at level 1, he can use it again zero opponents. If you don't get what I mean, read the last line of the Level 5 ability ("applies to all attacks from a single, primary opponent at level five"). This advances at higher levels. So if the number increases as you level, and the number at level 5 is one opponent ... then that by default means that prior to that it had be zero opponents.

Hope that helps. Farewell and safe journeys for now.

it could be half an opponent ^^ i can dodge attacks made from the left hand, but not the right, for example :P
Athos
Hero
Comment: Free Missouri, stand up to Apartheid everywhere.

Unread post by Athos »

I always played they got it at level 5, not level 1, but I can see how it could be interpreted either way...
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

I just refreshed myself on both the SoT4 and RUE versions (which at a glance appear identical). I have to go with the ability not being available until level 5. It just "starts" with a hefty bonus.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.

Return to “Rifts®”