Couple More Questions

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Re: Couple More Questions

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

#1. no idea what they are referring to with Symbiotic Armor at the time. Could catch. (Edit for reference purposes: Rifts Mercenaries pg27-8 for the Super Spy Description).

#2. With maybe the exception of TWdry, I would have to say no. All the PPE has to be available at the time of casting. You can't bank PPE naturally, but you can use talisman and (IINM) an Energy Sphere to store PPE for later use. High PPE cost magic can be cast under the right conditions, like having a group pool PPE, sacrifice, Ley Line/Nexus PPE bonuses (various types), etc.
Thinyser
Knight
Comment: "Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that."
~George Carlin

Unread post by Thinyser »

likwitmc wrote:1. Symbiotic Armor: What book is this in? In the equipment section for Super Spy it says they can start with Magic or Symbiotic Armor.

2. Magical Crafting: When casting a big spell, creating a big item, etc. Can you spend your ppe and bank it towards the effect? Like, if a spell costs 1,000 can you spend a 100 each day for tens days?

Thanks!

1. I'm not sure what book you refer to when talking about Super Spy. Please clarify with book and page. EDIT Thanks, Yeah I'm not sure either other than the Cyber Knight's armor... which I'm pretty sure it doesn't mean unless you were a CK that was frozen at level 2.

2. No, you have to get the PPE other ways. Such as creating Talismans, harvesting from other people/casters, using power from a nexus, etc.
"We live in a world where people use severed plant genitals to express affection.
Rifts is really not much weirder than that." ~~Killer Cyborg

"If we let technical problems scare us away from doing anything, humanity would still be in the trees flinging poo at each other."~~Killer Cyborg

"Everything that breeds is a threat."~~Killer Cyborg
The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

2 = Agreeing with what the others have said.

1 = Not really sure what was meant by "symbiotic armor." That book was written way before Splicers. That's the only armor I can think of that meets that description. Maybe there's an armor from DB1 or the Splugorth that we've missed.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

Unread post by Killer Cyborg »

"Symbiotic Armor" sounds like something that was cut from some book.
OR something from Atlantis, OR something from Wormwood (which wouldn't function on Rifts Earth)
Annual Best Poster of the Year Awards (2012)

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Check out my Author Page on Amazon!
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

1) Pretty sure that "Symbiotic Armor" refers to the Splugorth symbiotes found in Atlantis.

2) No.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

likwitmc wrote:1. Symbiotic Armor: What book is this in? In the equipment section for Super Spy it says they can start with Magic or Symbiotic Armor.

2. Magical Crafting: When casting a big spell, creating a big item, etc. Can you spend your ppe and bank it towards the effect? Like, if a spell costs 1,000 can you spend a 100 each day for tens days?

Thanks!

(1)
point one: The super spy is in the Mercenaries book, and at the time the only 'symbiotic' anything in rifts that might of fit the bill was in the Atlantis WB. However, I believe it was to let the GM or player 'make something up' to fit the char concept.

Now days, added to those, there are the Splicer armors that fit the bill, along with a high level cyber armor.

(2)
If the mage has PPE batteries the mage can store the PPE. But if a spell is uncompleted or unpowered, it dissipates/derezzes/comes apart within moments of the mage abandoning it.

Now Alchemists and Techno wizards do something like this when creating their magic items. Enchanting a little bit each item they work on the magic item.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Killer Cyborg
Priest
Comment: "Your Eloquence with a sledge hammer is a beautiful thing..." -Zer0 Kay

OR it could refer to the demonic armor that (iirc) is in the Mercenaries book, although that's more power armor/robot stuff.

"That rifle on the wall of the laborer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there." -George Orwell

Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Mack wrote:1) Pretty sure that "Symbiotic Armor" refers to the Splugorth symbiotes found in Atlantis.

2) No.

Which splugorth symbiote would be "armor"? many of them add to MDC, but none are so covering as to be "armor"
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
grandmaster z0b
Champion

Unread post by grandmaster z0b »

It could be a reference to Bio-Wiz transmutation, an Elom, a Chest Amalgamate, or even just Transfortifiers. Probably left up to the GM to decide what is balanced.
The word "THAN" is important. Something is "better than" something else, not "better then", it's "rather than" not "rather then".
Killer Cyborg
Priest

Svartalf wrote:
Mack wrote:1) Pretty sure that "Symbiotic Armor" refers to the Splugorth symbiotes found in Atlantis.

2) No.

Which splugorth symbiote would be "armor"? many of them add to MDC, but none are so covering as to be "armor"

Some of the stuff in the Market book would be... but it wasn't out yet.

Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Why couldn't it be a wormwood symbiote? Wasn't there an armor one?
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
FatherMorpheus
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: Rifts is a framework, if you don't like part of it don't use it.

Unread post by FatherMorpheus »

The line in Super Spy is "Psychic or wizard spies can select one techno-wizard weapon, instead of an energy weapon. Body armor can be any type, including magic or symbotic, but tends to be lightweight armor..."

I think it basically is talking about the symbotic creatures in the Atlantis World Book 2. There are several Symbotic creatures which give a being MDC.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Zer0 Kay wrote:Why couldn't it be a wormwood symbiote? Wasn't there an armor one?

All wormwood specific items, except the Apok Mask, do not survive being taken off/out of Wormwood. as per the Wordwood text on the topic.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Why couldn't it be a wormwood symbiote? Wasn't there an armor one?

All wormwood specific items, except the Apok Mask, do not survive being taken off/out of Wormwood. as per the Wordwood text on the topic.

correct but that doesn't mean that the occ were speaking of that is on wormwood couldn't have that as his starting equipment.

Edit: Wow that was terrible wording. Correct, however that doesn't mean that the OCC in question, in a game starting in Wormwood, would not have Wormwood symbiote armor(if it exists) available as starting armor.
Last edited by Zer0 Kay on Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Not out THEN, but out now....the Biomancers of South America can make symbiotic wood and chitin armor......
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

2) No.

I would concur the symbiote armor they are speaking of is from rifts atlantis and there are I think some new varieties available in the atlantis 2 splynn dimensional market book.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

The absure life node and chest amalgam horror thing are I think the two main symbiotic armors.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

The node is pretty easy to conceal and a lot less obvious than the evil chest grabber thing. The other option is bio borg upgrades for MDC durability but I am pretty sure the life node and the chest thing where what they were referencing.

Return to “Rifts®”