Tips for playing a Preacher?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Athos
Hero
Comment: Free Missouri, stand up to Apartheid everywhere.

Re: Tips for playing a Preacher?

Unread post by Athos »

Ibuki wrote:My group of friends have recently started a new campaign in which I'm a preacher... but I never really play anything other than magic classes so could somebody used to playing one or experienced in using them help me out?

I played a "preacher" in a campaign in the past. He was modeled after Clint Eastwood in Josey Wales. His family was murdered by the CS and he became a juicer to get even. He would quote scripture and other sources from time to time, but it was usually a bit on the cynical side. He had no mercy for the CS, but in general had a "live and let live" attitude.

Try to think outside the box and not get roped into stereotypes, would be my advise. If you wanted a magic using preacher for example, I don't see why not. Look at all the genocides caused by "preachers" and "missionaries" in the past, how they wiped out a lot of indigenous peoples in the name of god, they thought they were good, but IMO, they were very misguided. You can xenophobic, or accepting, you can be the wrath of god, or the kindness, etc. Just because you are a preacher, doesn't mean you are Pope Francis. Expand your horizons :)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Athos wrote:
Ibuki wrote:My group of friends have recently started a new campaign in which I'm a preacher... but I never really play anything other than magic classes so could somebody used to playing one or experienced in using them help me out?

I played a "preacher" in a campaign in the past. He was modeled after Clint Eastwood in Josey Wales. His family was murdered by the CS and he became a juicer to get even. He would quote scripture and other sources from time to time, but it was usually a bit on the cynical side. He had no mercy for the CS, but in general had a "live and let live" attitude.

Try to think outside the box and not get roped into stereotypes, would be my advise. If you wanted a magic using preacher for example, I don't see why not. Look at all the genocides caused by "preachers" and "missionaries" in the past, how they wiped out a lot of indigenous peoples in the name of god, they thought they were good, but IMO, they were very misguided. You can xenophobic, or accepting, you can be the wrath of god, or the kindness, etc. Just because you are a preacher, doesn't mean you are Pope Francis. Expand your horizons :)

What does pope Francis have to do with anything? Can't assume he is a Christian preacher. Maybe he's a Preacher of the God Emperor of Dune or Terra. Maybe he preaches that there are no gods and mankind is ultimately responsible only to itself. Maybe he has tin can looking things in his head and preaches about the divinity of twinkies and how they give him power.

As already stated open your horizons.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Athos
Hero
Comment: Free Missouri, stand up to Apartheid everywhere.

Unread post by Athos »

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Athos wrote:

What does pope Francis have to do with anything? Can't assume he is a Christian preacher. Maybe he's a Preacher of the God Emperor of Dune or Terra. Maybe he preaches that there are no gods and mankind is ultimately responsible only to itself. Maybe he has tin can looking things in his head and preaches about the divinity of twinkies and how they give him power.

Wow... are you always this pissy, or just having a bad day? Pope Francis is obviously a great man, and not all preachers are great men, simple point, you obviously missed it, so I have spelled it out for you now.

Of course there are always nut-jobs that think if they don't come up with an idea, it must be bad.
Ravenwing
Hero
Comment: Chaplain of the CS.

Unread post by Ravenwing »

Good source material. Deadwood, the Preacher in that show is a perfect example of the kinder Preacher. Also look at The Quick and the Dead, Russel Crows character is an ex gunslinger turned preacher, kinda the fire and brimstone kind. Theres a few other spaghetti westerns you could find on Netflix or Hulu and check them out. Not to mention the Gunslinger series by Stephan King, there's a Preacher in the first book IIRC.
Blunt like a Warhammer to the face!

Akashic Soldier is my hero!
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

There are a ton of actual sermons available on YouTube, if you want to get a feeling for how real-world preachers deliver their material. Regardless of whether you're going to preach something Judeo-Christian based, borrow from another religion, or make up something of your own, I think it could be useful.

One thing in particular to take note of, they're not all great orators. Being inspired and having deep convictions doesn't automatically make a person a great leader.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

moved.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Ravenwing
Hero

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Because the Preacher Class is in itself is intrinsically bound to a person of faith char, just talking about this class is bound up with talking about faiths. Thus, the following was asked for in/by the OP. Otherwise I would not be talking about different faiths. Yes, I am talking to both the monitors and you who have a beef with religions in the above text.

If you mean a christen preacher.... The two basic things about christianity is that disciples of christ choose to be disciples and the actions are a response to being a disciple. Having only two core commandments which everything else is built on are 'love Jesus/Jehovah, with all your heart, soul and mind.' and 'love everyone as you love yourself.'
A part of being a disciple of christ it is acknowledging that you are a sinner, just one that has accepted god's forgiveness. Meaning that you know you are not "perfect" and does not let an occasional misstep pull you down because you have god's forgiveness.
Keep those things in mind while playing and you will not fall far from the mark.

If your preacher is going to be of a different faith I can't help you much, except that most of the doctrines of other faiths preach to submit to authority of the faiths' leaders.

I think the OP is asking for advice on playing the preacher in Rifts book New West, specifically I think he's asking for Role Playing tips for his character. I don't think Faith was part of it, as a Preacher is pretty set in his denomination as per the OCC description.

(PS not trying to ruffle any feathers, just posting my thoughts on the OP's question is all :? )

eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Ravenwing wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Because the Preacher Class is in itself is intrinsically bound to a person of faith char, just talking about this class is bound up with talking about faiths. Thus, the following was asked for in/by the OP. Otherwise I would not be talking about different faiths. Yes, I am talking to both the monitors and you who have a beef with religions in the above text.

If you mean a christen preacher.... The two basic things about christianity is that disciples of christ choose to be disciples and the actions are a response to being a disciple. Having only two core commandments which everything else is built on are 'love Jesus/Jehovah, with all your heart, soul and mind.' and 'love everyone as you love yourself.'
A part of being a disciple of christ it is acknowledging that you are a sinner, just one that has accepted god's forgiveness. Meaning that you know you are not "perfect" and does not let an occasional misstep pull you down because you have god's forgiveness.
Keep those things in mind while playing and you will not fall far from the mark.

If your preacher is going to be of a different faith I can't help you much, except that most of the doctrines of other faiths preach to submit to authority of the faiths' leaders.

I think the OP is asking for advice on playing the preacher in Rifts book New West, specifically I think he's asking for Role Playing tips for his character. I don't think Faith was part of it, as a Preacher is pretty set in his denomination as per the OCC description.

(PS not trying to ruffle any feathers, just posting my thoughts on the OP's question is all :? )

Since I don't want this thread to degenerate into a religious flame war and get locked....
The first note is that this class is NOT a Priest. Repeat this is NOT A PRIEST. This is a wandering judge who moralizes and 'preaches' morality. While a 'majority' are Judeo-Christian they don't have to be. Judge Dredd is a preacher.
With that out of the way you can get to the real issue. Pick a morality that you want your preacher to espouse. Then be ready to play out some one who not only has that morality, but 'preaches' it to others. Who wants everyone to follow that moral code, and is willing to judge others by it.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Faith, even in the cynical disillusioned preachers, should be central to their character. Even if they're having a crisis of it, they're looking for it.
And if they've got it, they're looking for a way to spread the message.
Derrial Book from 'Firefly' is a good example of a rough-and-tumble, pragmatic man of the cloth...even if his backstory sez he comes from a less than holy background, he's found something in faith that he truly believes in. He's pragmatic and tolerant enough to tolerate his companions' lack of belief, and in some cases outright cynicism, but he remains steadfast, in the event the occasion should arise that he and his faith can be there for them when they need it("You don't fix faith, faith fixes you."). And, of course, he also knows when to use the loopholes("(The book is) Quite specific (about killing.)..it is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps").
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Athos wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Athos wrote:

Wow... are you always this pissy, or just having a bad day? Pope Francis is obviously a great man, and not all preachers are great men, simple point, you obviously missed it, so I have spelled it out for you now.

Of course there are always nut-jobs that think if they don't come up with an idea, it must be bad.

Nope, always this cynical, what was pissy in that anyway? Most preachers, most priests, and a greater percentage of popes start out as good men but loose their way. Name the greatest tragedies in Christendom and it was probably a pope that thought he was doing right. A Christians faith is to be placed in God alone and His works in man.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

taalismn wrote:Faith, even in the cynical disillusioned preachers, should be central to their character. Even if they're having a crisis of it, they're looking for it.
Derrial Book from 'Firefly' is a good example of a rough-and-tumble, pragmatic man of the cloth...even if his backstory sez he comes from a less than holy background, he's found something in faith that he truly believes in. He's pragmatic and tolerant enough to tolerate his companions' lack of belief, and in some cases outright cynicism, but he remains steadfast, in the event the occasion should arise that he and his faith can be there for them when they need it("You don't fix faith, faith fixes you."). And, of course, he also knows when to use the loopholes("(The book is) Quite specific (about killing.)..it is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps").

Sheppard Book is awesome.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Judge Dread...was not a preacher as per the class beings talked about. I will not offer any suggestion about anything that might be considered a conversion.

Every single disciple of Jesus is a priest. Will not argue this point, I'm just stating what is.

I did limit what I was saying by putting it in the 'if this, then this stuff' format of speaking. So if the OP is not going for a christen faith background the OP was planing on having his char then he can just ignore what I said. That does not change the fact that he asked for help. And since help playing a disciple of christ the player needs to know where a disciple of christ is coming from. Opposed to the misconceptions the media projects and those who intentionally (and unintentionally) distort images project about what christens are. Even if he ultimately rejects the help he asked for, that is his choice to make.

While I can see a "Motivational speaker" being said to being a preacher, I doubt many people would.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Am I one of the "ones" your alluding too?
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

eliakon wrote:
Ravenwing wrote:

Since I don't want this thread to degenerate into a religious flame war and get locked....
The first note is that this class is NOT a Priest. Repeat this is NOT A PRIEST. This is a wandering judge who moralizes and 'preaches' morality. While a 'majority' are Judeo-Christian they don't have to be. Judge Dredd is a preacher.
With that out of the way you can get to the real issue. Pick a morality that you want your preacher to espouse. Then be ready to play out some one who not only has that morality, but 'preaches' it to others. Who wants everyone to follow that moral code, and is willing to judge others by it.

If the character is Christian... we're all priests. The traveling preacher is developed of the old west traveling clergyman who is a priest who preaches. Other new religions may also use priests as preachers but most current don't have traveling priest preach instead having teachers who's job it is to preach.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Oh come on, a rabbi-commando with silver throwing Stars of David, slaying monsters doesn't strike you as fun to play? :bandit:
If PCs want to play wandering Zen mystic-preachers, Neo-Mormon preachers, or any of a number of post-Rifts splinter sects, let them have fun with it.
OP, depending on how you want to come off to the rest of the group, as a ready-to-rumble zealot who's out to spread the word to everybody, or a quiet, but steadfast, pragmatist who's waiting to see the lay of the land before opening up to the laymen, or you're on your way to enlighten a specific spiritually needy group(like lepers, d-bees, Californians, etc.), have fun building the character.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Judge Dread...was not a preacher as per the class beings talked about. I will not offer any suggestion about anything that might be considered a conversion.

Every single disciple of Jesus is a priest. Will not argue this point, I'm just stating what is.

I did limit what I was saying by putting it in the 'if this, then this stuff' format of speaking. So if the OP is not going for a christen faith background the OP was planing on having his char then he can just ignore what I said. That does not change the fact that he asked for help. And since help playing a disciple of christ the player needs to know where a disciple of christ is coming from. Opposed to the misconceptions the media projects and those who intentionally (and unintentionally) distort images project about what christens are. Even if he ultimately rejects the help he asked for, that is his choice to make.

While I can see a "Motivational speaker" being said to being a preacher, I doubt many people would.

Read the book please :D
"A new breed of traveling judge walks the land during these tumultuous times, the Preacher."
"Preachers are men and women who counsel wilderness people on what is right and wrong, help settle disputes, speak on a person's or group's behalf, and acts as a judge, drawing on both the laws of man and god."
"...from town to town, hearing cases, levying judgements, and offering advice and prayers."
This is a judge/spiritual guide. It is NOT a "priest" class Ergo, a theological discussion of what is involved in your view of what is real world Judeo-Christian theology is not required for the class since the class is not a Judeo-Christian priest. It IS a Judge/Motivational Speaker. So appropriate help would be 'how do I play the class written (Preacher)' not 'how do I play a <fill in the blank version of Christianity> Christian pastor'
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Ravenwing
Hero

taalismn wrote:Faith, even in the cynical disillusioned preachers, should be central to their character. Even if they're having a crisis of it, they're looking for it.

How could I forget Shepard Book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OMG I must now watch the whole season of Firefly plus the Movie Serenity on Netflix to make up for my forgetfulness!

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

I like River's reaction when Shepard has just washed his hair.

The word "Preacher" in North American culture is inherently tied to aspects of faith. So chalk it up to just another stupid mistake in the rifts books. Or it is a intentional trying to denaturing of the word from what is culturally tied to it.

And if you look at what a preacher does, it is what preachers did in the old west.....w/o specificly saying the things that get people's nickers in a twist.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:I like River's reaction when Shepard has just washed his hair.

and at the end of the episode:
"keep on walking preacher man"

i'd also suggest reading A Canticle for Leibowitz, which has some wonderful stuff on post-apoc faith. i especially liked the idea of an order of monks dedicated to preserving knowledge.

another one, and one i think would fit very well, would be 'Dad' Howitt from The Shepherd of the Hills. the highly educated big city preacher who found real faith in the backwoods of Missouri. (just avoid the John Wayne film version.. there was a reason the inhabitants of Branson Missouri tried to tar and feather the cast at the premier.. about the only thing in common was the name)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

glitterboy2098 wrote:i'd also suggest reading A Canticle for Leibowitz, which has some wonderful stuff on post-apoc faith. i especially liked the idea of an order of monks dedicated to preserving knowledge.

I have read that. In the end it also partly shows how a culture ends up once you pull all faith, except for atheism, out of a culture.
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

On the original topic, we had a Rifts game where a friend of mine decided to play a True Atlantean Mind Melter in the style of a preacher. We travelled across the New West running a Revival tent, and his character preached love, understanding, and not being horrible at one another. This was done like the traditional Revivals, with a lot of Holly Roller, upbeat Southern Baptist, and a lot of the more jumpy Pentacostal stuff thrown in to get the locals up and off their feet.

Bear in mind that this was NOT related to the traditional Judeo-Christian material. No, the True Atlantean was a devotee of the 'god of love', Ron Jeremy, after having an epiphany in a Golden Age video store.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

wyrmraker wrote:On the original topic, we had a Rifts game where a friend of mine decided to play a True Atlantean Mind Melter in the style of a preacher. We travelled across the New West running a Revival tent, and his character preached love, understanding, and not being horrible at one another. This was done like the traditional Revivals, with a lot of Holly Roller, upbeat Southern Baptist, and a lot of the more jumpy Pentacostal stuff thrown in to get the locals up and off their feet.

Bear in mind that this was NOT related to the traditional Judeo-Christian material. No, the True Atlantean was a devotee of the 'god of love', Ron Jeremy, after having an epiphany in a Golden Age video store.

LMAO that was funny, thanks.
wyrmraker
Hero

Zer0 Kay wrote:
wyrmraker wrote:On the original topic, we had a Rifts game where a friend of mine decided to play a True Atlantean Mind Melter in the style of a preacher. We travelled across the New West running a Revival tent, and his character preached love, understanding, and not being horrible at one another. This was done like the traditional Revivals, with a lot of Holly Roller, upbeat Southern Baptist, and a lot of the more jumpy Pentacostal stuff thrown in to get the locals up and off their feet.

No problem, anytime. Granted, he did it that way just to mix things up.

In my own Rifts games, I have introduced The Church of the King. Yes, it's a church esposing the reverence of Elvis Presley, using snippets of his songs as hymns, and quotes from Elvis as scripture. The church even has a special line of armor with designs done up in MD sequins.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

wyrmraker wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

No problem, anytime. Granted, he did it that way just to mix things up.

In my own Rifts games, I have introduced The Church of the King. Yes, it's a church esposing the reverence of Elvis Presley, using snippets of his songs as hymns, and quotes from Elvis as scripture. The church even has a special line of armor with designs done up in MD sequins.

Oh, man I just thought of two awesome related pantheons for Crazies, The Se Seemay and Moop Ets. The Great, but small Green All Frogger is in both pantheons. :)
wyrmraker
Hero

I'm glad I could inspire someone. After all, the Revival of Love and the Church of the King are awesome ideas. I really need to talk our Palladium GM out of Heroes Unlimited, and back into Rifts.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

wyrmraker wrote:I'm glad I could inspire someone. After all, the Revival of Love and the Church of the King are awesome ideas. I really need to talk our Palladium GM out of Heroes Unlimited, and back into Rifts.

You should make him go outside and cut his own switch with which you will beat him until he goes back to Rifts. :clown:
wyrmraker
Hero

Zer0 Kay wrote:
wyrmraker wrote:I'm glad I could inspire someone. After all, the Revival of Love and the Church of the King are awesome ideas. I really need to talk our Palladium GM out of Heroes Unlimited, and back into Rifts.

You should make him go outside and cut his own switch with which you will beat him until he goes back to Rifts. :clown:

The real problem is that he is SO in love with the super power from HU. So much so that every time I tried to run a Rifts game, he has tried to get a character with those super powers. And he hates being in any setting where the GM has banned super powers. Oh, the whining! The exclamations of "It's not so bad!", "Now, let's be reasonable here...", and "Hey, I was reading how this was legal, and..." get tiring really freaking fast.

So therefore, when it's his turn to GM, he just HAS to be running Heroes Unlimited (which I dislike mostly for the cookie-cutter powers and cruddy, non-comic book power levels). I would rather he be running GURPS Supers, which has TONS of customization options for powers, and none of the character classes get the cookie cutter approach. Plus no preset skills, or even those ridiculous Skill Programs (don't get me started on those).
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

From an actual, Christian, theological point of view, it's entirely plausible that Rifts is the time of tribulation preceeding the final battle between Good and Evil, the return of Jesus Christ, and the creation of the New Heaven and the New Earth.

I'll explain.

Rifts is a post-apocalyptic setting. "Apocalypse", a Greek word, actualy translates as "revealing" or "a disclosure of knowledge". This is why the last book of older Bibles is titled "The Apocalypse according to Saint John", but in newer ones is simply called "The Revalation"; the great and final outcome of history is revealed to John.

So, Rifts is a "post-revealing" setting. What exactly has been reaveled? Well, namely that the demonic and the supernatural are real (monsters and magic), but also that the Lord's children are many and varried (D-Bees, mutants, and the like). Unless, of course, your character takes the view that only Man(kind) is made in God's image...

Biblical, Christian Preachers in Rifts will have a hard time having anything to do with mages or magic spells (Leviticus 19, for example, makes it pretty clear that necromancers, wizards, mystics, mediums, and the like are abhorent to God). On the other hand, certain phychic abilities _could_ be seen as "gifts of the spirit" (healing touch, exorcism, tongues, prophesy, etc.)

Hope that's a bit of a help...
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
The Oh So Amazing Nate
Hero

Unread post by The Oh So Amazing Nate »

taalismn wrote:Oh come on, a rabbi-commando with silver throwing Stars of David, slaying monsters doesn't strike you as fun to play? :bandit:

Did someone say gun toting Rabbi?

The Frisco Kid
Look upon me and tremble ye masses. For I am The Necroposter!
keir451 wrote:Amazing Nate; Thanks for your support!

Razzinold wrote:And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

wyrmraker wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

The real problem is that he is SO in love with the super power from HU. So much so that every time I tried to run a Rifts game, he has tried to get a character with those super powers. And he hates being in any setting where the GM has banned super powers. Oh, the whining! The exclamations of "It's not so bad!", "Now, let's be reasonable here...", and "Hey, I was reading how this was legal, and..." get tiring really freaking fast.

So therefore, when it's his turn to GM, he just HAS to be running Heroes Unlimited (which I dislike mostly for the cookie-cutter powers and cruddy, non-comic book power levels). I would rather he be running GURPS Supers, which has TONS of customization options for powers, and none of the character classes get the cookie cutter approach. Plus no preset skills, or even those ridiculous Skill Programs (don't get me started on those).

Well, in that case make him go back for another unless its the width of your wrist.

I really liked the old Marvel superheroes. :'(
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

wyrmraker wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

i don't know.. the Preacher OCC falls under the adventurer class catagory, which at least in the 1st edition conversion book has an option (with GM permission) to take super powers in a variety of combinations of major and minor.

a preacher with the Divine Aura major power could be an interesting mix.. you have an OCC tailored to being a charismatic speaker and encouraging others via faith.. and a super power that makes people take notice of you, and want to follow you..
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:Did someone say gun toting Rabbi?

The Frisco Kid

I do so love that movie, but you can't forget the "Hebrew Hammer".

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
dreicunan
Hero

Unread post by dreicunan »

Braden Campbell wrote:From an actual, Christian, theological point of view, it's entirely plausible that Rifts is the time of tribulation preceeding the final battle between Good and Evil, the return of Jesus Christ, and the creation of the New Heaven and the New Earth.

I'll explain.

Rifts is a post-apocalyptic setting. "Apocalypse", a Greek word, actualy translates as "revealing" or "a disclosure of knowledge". This is why the last book of older Bibles is titled "The Apocalypse according to Saint John", but in newer ones is simply called "The Revalation"; the great and final outcome of history is revealed to John.

So, Rifts is a "post-revealing" setting. What exactly has been reaveled? Well, namely that the demonic and the supernatural are real (monsters and magic), but also that the Lord's children are many and varried (D-Bees, mutants, and the like). Unless, of course, your character takes the view that only Man(kind) is made in God's image...

Biblical, Christian Preachers in Rifts will have a hard time having anything to do with mages or magic spells (Leviticus 19, for example, makes it pretty clear that necromancers, wizards, mystics, mediums, and the like are abhorent to God). On the other hand, certain phychic abilities _could_ be seen as "gifts of the spirit" (healing touch, exorcism, tongues, prophesy, etc.)

Hope that's a bit of a help...

Leviticus 19 (amongst many other rules) speaks against divination, seeking omens, turning to mediums, and seeking out spiritists. It also speaks against tattoos. So while tattoo magic and certain abilities would be out, I disagree that this would mean all magic is out from a Biblical perspective (at least on the basis of that passage). If the coalition can have scientists who float along ley lines, I think that Christians in Rifts can accept psionics and some forms of magic. Also, for a Christian preacher who understands the Abrogation of the Ceremonial Law, tattoos would be back in as an option.
Axelmania wrote:You of course, being the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not.
Declared the ultimate authority on what is an error and what is not by Axelmania on 5.11.19.

Return to “Rifts®”