Ironmage Piloting Skill?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

runebeo
Champion
Comment: I hope Odin allows me to stand with him at the time of Ragnarök!

Ironmage Piloting Skill?

Unread post by runebeo »

Ironmage TW Glitter Boy can used by mages who can't pick power armor skill, so how do assign combat bonus without the skill? surely using it often got make you better at least at piloting it.
I will be 125 living in Rio de Janeiro when the Great Cataclysm comes, I will not survive long but I will be cloned threw the Achilles project and my clones will be Achilles Neo-Humans that will start a new Jedi order in Psyscape. So You May Strike Me Down & I Will Become More Powerful Than You Can Possibly Imagine. Let the Clone Wars begin!
wyrmraker
Hero

Re: Ironmage Piloting Skill?

Unread post by wyrmraker »

I just looked up the Ley Line Walker in RUE. They get Pilot and Pilot Related without restriction at +2%. On top of that are Techno-Wizards, who also get both of them unrestricted at +5%
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

also, mages are by default able to pilot any TW vehicle. techno-wizards get a bonus to that generic skill.

but i'm not sure if that's what he meant... he might have meant the robot combat skills.

in which case, they use the standard system. basic gives you the skill for all robots and power armour, elite lets you specialize in one (which could be the ironmage TW glitterboy, if you so choose).
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

Shark_Force wrote:also, mages are by default able to pilot any TW vehicle. techno-wizards get a bonus to that generic skill.

but i'm not sure if that's what he meant... he might have meant the robot combat skills.

in which case, they use the standard system. basic gives you the skill for all robots and power armour, elite lets you specialize in one (which could be the ironmage TW glitterboy, if you so choose).

Actually, I was quoting the O.C.C. Related Skills list directly. Both Pilot and Pilot Related are unrestricted to Ley Line Walkers and Techno-Wizards; I didn't look at the other mage classes. And Pilot: Any means the robot combat material is available.
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

tw's can pilot power armor
Shark_Force
Palladin

wyrmraker wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:also, mages are by default able to pilot any TW vehicle. techno-wizards get a bonus to that generic skill.

Actually, I was quoting the O.C.C. Related Skills list directly. Both Pilot and Pilot Related are unrestricted to Ley Line Walkers and Techno-Wizards; I didn't look at the other mage classes. And Pilot: Any means the robot combat material is available.

no, i got what you're saying. i was saying something unrelated to your observation that various mages have unrestricted access to pilot skills.

i was slightly off in my information though. having had a bit more time to review the rule, the actual rule is that techno-wizards (and only techno-wizards, not all mages as i had initially thought) do not need any sort of pilot skill to operate any sort of TW vehicle. a techno-wizard can fly a TW helicopter whether or not they have any sort of training in flying conventional helicopters, and have a pretty impressive level of skill in it to boot. (of course, techno-wizards also get the telemechanics psionic power, so they can even drive all conventional vehicles for a brief duration)

ley line walkers may or may not get the ability to pilot any ley line powered vehicle in the same way (that part is a bit unclear), but definitely get a +10% bonus when piloting ley line powered TW vehicles.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Shark_Force wrote:
wyrmraker wrote:

no, i got what you're saying. i was saying something unrelated to your observation that various mages have unrestricted access to pilot skills.

i was slightly off in my information though. having had a bit more time to review the rule, the actual rule is that techno-wizards (and only techno-wizards, not all mages as i had initially thought) do not need any sort of pilot skill to operate any sort of TW vehicle. a techno-wizard can fly a TW helicopter whether or not they have any sort of training in flying conventional helicopters, and have a pretty impressive level of skill in it to boot. (of course, techno-wizards also get the telemechanics psionic power, so they can even drive all conventional vehicles for a brief duration)

ley line walkers may or may not get the ability to pilot any ley line powered vehicle in the same way (that part is a bit unclear), but definitely get a +10% bonus when piloting ley line powered TW vehicles.

Actually the TW only gets automatic piloting on Ley Line vehicles. So a Wingboard yes, but not an Ironmage.
If you want to pilot an Ironrmage your going to actually take a Piloting skill for powerarmor.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Shark_Force
Palladin

hmmm... i need to stop posting stuff that requires me to check the rules at midnight =S

you're right, it is only ley line vehicles.

(and in any event, even if a the various full mages couldn't pilot power armour, all it takes is a minor psychic to satisfy the TW requirement anyways, so finding capable pilots still wouldn't be terribly hard).

Return to “Rifts®”