Rifts: China penalties for leaving?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

isawarenshi
D-Bee

Rifts: China penalties for leaving?

Unread post by isawarenshi »

What are peoples opinions of the penalties for China characters leaving china? For me it seems rather silly since while different the things in china are not that off the rest of rifts earth?
The Galactus Kid
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: THE SPLICE MUST FLOW!!!

Re: Rifts: China penalties for leaving?

Unread post by The Galactus Kid »

I ignore them.
Ziggurat the Eternal wrote:I'm not sure if its possible, but if it isn't, then possible will just have to get over it.

Ninjabunny wrote:You are playing to have fun and be a part of a story,no one is aiming to "beat" the GM, nor should any GM be looking to beat his players.

Marrowlight wrote: The Shameless Plug would be a good new account name for you. 8-)

ALAshbaugh wrote:Because DINOSAURS.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

What happens in Rifts: China, stays in Rifts: China.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

The Galactus Kid wrote:I ignore them.

I concur, there is no reason for them.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

China has been merged with the yama kingdoms, an extradimensional locale. i see the penalties for leaving the area as basically meaning the nature of reality within china is a bit different from the rest of the world, and stuff that works a certain way in china doesn't work the same way outside that altered area.

much of the china material is actually rather unbalancing.. not in that it is more powerful per say, but in that much of it stands at odds with the established nature of how rifts works, and if exploited as is by groups outside china, can be a huge setting changer. if confined to china and penalized outside of it, this keeps the balance of the setting more intact.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
McFacemelt
Wanderer
Comment: Now go away, or I will be forced to taunt you a second time.

Unread post by McFacemelt »

Having had a gun master in a campaign before it's gonna depend on how high powered you want the game to be.

The amount of damage that can be dished out from these is insane compared to anything I've found in the game yet, and while I don't have every book I do own about two-thirds of the entire Rifts collection.

Even the player wanting to play this class conceded it was needed when I explained to him the possible numbers the character could pump out.
I am and shall always be the GM who gives you what you want, only to make you wish you had wanted something else.
isawarenshi
D-Bee

Unread post by isawarenshi »

Thanks, that was my opinion but glad to hear it from you so not totally crazy!
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

isawarenshi wrote:What are peoples opinions of the penalties for China characters leaving china? For me it seems rather silly since while different the things in china are not that off the rest of rifts earth?

Do you object to the idea of Ley Lines altering Psionic and Magic only w/n a certain radius. Same basic principle. If you don't have a problem with the Ley Line bonuses, then I don't see why one should have an issue with the China situation given that it is in some type of quasi dimensional merging (IIRC Rifts MB/UE), the rules inside that zone can be seen as pretty much the equivalent of being near a Ley Line (or Nexus/SprNxs) for added power and then leaving it. At least IMHO.

glitterboy2098 wrote:China has been merged with the yama kingdoms, an extradimensional locale. i see the penalties for leaving the area as basically meaning the nature of reality within china is a bit different from the rest of the world, and stuff that works a certain way in china doesn't work the same way outside that altered area.

much of the china material is actually rather unbalancing.. not in that it is more powerful per say, but in that much of it stands at odds with the established nature of how rifts works, and if exploited as is by groups outside china, can be a huge setting changer. if confined to china and penalized outside of it, this keeps the balance of the setting more intact.

While I don't have China books, the first part makes a lot of sense based on descriptions in RUE/RMB (may Japan to) that I recall reading.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

I agree with this because...
Glistam wrote:What happens in Rifts: China, stays in Rifts: China.

I don't allow any of them out of Rifts china. Because....

glitterboy2098 wrote:China has been merged with the yama kingdoms, an extradimensional locale. i see the penalties for leaving the area as basically meaning the nature of reality within china is a bit different from the rest of the world, and stuff that works a certain way in china doesn't work the same way outside that altered area.

May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

isawarenshi wrote:the things in china are not that off the rest of rifts earth?

Do you mean that Chinese demons are described as hanging out in Russia and vice-versa?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

It is a GM's call but given how wild and woolly rifts can get anyway I don't have any problem just ignoring the conversions. There are plenty of opponents out there that can give problems to even gun masters which are about the edgiest of the edge cases of high power from rifts china.

In a setting where you can have a vagabond with his candy, a dragon hatchling, a cosmo knight, demigods the power level of rifts china does not really trouble me very much when all is said and done. It is like much in RPG games something to talk with your GM they may have a power level idea of what they want to allow but many will just take everything and work with it depending on their comfort level.

Return to “Rifts®”