Same world portal travel?

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

isawarenshi
D-Bee

Same world portal travel?

Unread post by isawarenshi »

I am working on methods for traveling rifts earth for a small number of people faster. What spell would you use to say open a portal from say the NGR to NA? Is it as simple as Dim Portal or am I missing something?
Braden Campbell
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer

Re: Same world portal travel?

Unread post by Braden Campbell »

A Shifter can do it for about 75 PPE...
Braden, GMPhD

If that doesn't prompt you to buy it, I don't know what else I can say.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

if someone having to go there via other means first is not an issue, then there's a level 15 standard invocation ritual called circle of travel that would be fairly ideal... as long as you have some means to protect both ends while you're away (which i would expect most people who have level 15 invocation spells can do reasonably well).
isawarenshi
D-Bee

Unread post by isawarenshi »

Shark_Force wrote:if someone having to go there via other means first is not an issue, then there's a level 15 standard invocation ritual called circle of travel that would be fairly ideal... as long as you have some means to protect both ends while you're away (which i would expect most people who have level 15 invocation spells can do reasonably well).

Was that a PF spell cause I seem to remember it but not sure where I saw it.

Also thanks for that Braden that was another idea for it!
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Ask your GM how precise he will allow Dimensional Portal (Invocations level 15). If the house rules allow DP to be relatively precise, then this can be your fall back tool if you don't have anything better.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

If you have an established base circle of travel can work well and I imagine it is pretty heavily used in places like lazlo to connect to other friendly cities. Shifters can do their thing for not just going from one dimension to another but to other places on the same dimension and then back to their home.

Shifters honestly are probably the best at this and the least PPE intensive.

Dimensional portals can do it but its a bit of a crap shoot on if you will get one to where you want to go but if you have a stone master and make a pyramid on a nexus you can have a pretty good chance of porting to your chosen destination.

There are some other methods of doing it but those are the main ones.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Circle of Travel is made for this. it's a prepared, reuseable dimensional portal that links a rift to two locations on the same world.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

Teleportation bus terminals, anybody? With food cartsconcessions stands and newspaper racks? :D
Phaseworld, the early days....
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
Shark_Force
Palladin

isawarenshi wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:if someone having to go there via other means first is not an issue, then there's a level 15 standard invocation ritual called circle of travel that would be fairly ideal... as long as you have some means to protect both ends while you're away (which i would expect most people who have level 15 invocation spells can do reasonably well).

it's in the unrevised federation of magic book i think, and is definitely in the book of magic either way. it's just a "standard" level 15 invocation magic spell (standard being in quotation marks because it's a level 15 spell, and thus not exactly something you just buy at the spells-R-us store down the road).
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

There is a mention in one of the Q&A I believe about using Dimensional Portal to travel on world. The statement was that it used the same accuracy as the Teleport: Superior spell, but substituted Random Dimension for Instant Death.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
flatline
Knight

eliakon wrote:There is a mention in one of the Q&A I believe about using Dimensional Portal to travel on world. The statement was that it used the same accuracy as the Teleport: Superior spell, but substituted Random Dimension for Instant Death.

If your GM treats Dimensional Envelopes as separate dimensions, then even if Dimensional Portal isn't very precise, you can simply create a Dimensional Envelope at the destination and target it with Dimensional Portal.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Dimensional Portals as a method of travel are supposed to be somewhat risky, and there's plenty of story evidence to support that (Erin Tarn's trip to Wormwood, and the arrival of the Mechanoids in Archie 3's complex are two that come to mind). But the rules for the spell don't really support that in game. In fact, there really aren't any rules for that spell at all! The closest that I know of in Rifts is in the write-up for the Shifter, on page 122 of the Ultimate Edition. It's a blurb that discusses how "close" Shifters can get to their desired destination when opening dimensional portals to their home dimension, and they use the Shifter's level to discuss how close they can get to their destination.

Transdimensional TMNT has some interesting rules for the Dimensional Portal spell. That book, on page 44, lists the spell and a whole bunch of percentages for success for various uses:
Transdimensional TMNT's Dimensional Portal spell wrote:The Dimensional Portal spell opens a two-way door to another dimension. Unlike the Mystic Portal, the spell caster doesn't have to have visited the dimension in order to use the spell. And unlike Dimensional Teleport, it is not completely random. Dimensional Portal is used to open channels to active dimensions where magic or dimensional transport devices have carved a dimensional channel. The spell caster can concentrate on any of the following things to direct a Dimensional Portal:

Pursuit Focus. This is useful for following someone lost or moving between various dimensions. The spell caster concentrates on the specific person or creature he is seeking, calling them by name. If well known to the spell caster, there is a +10% chance of success. If the spell caster is working from just a description, or picture, or from just a brief meeting, there is a -15% chance of success. A successful portal requires a roll below 20% + 5% per level of the spell caster. If the roll fails, roll again on the following table:
    01-15: A portal opens to the person's home world.
    16-30: Portal opens to a dimension previously visited by the person.
    31-50: Portal opens to a close parallel to the person's home world.
    51-100: Portal opens to a random dimension.

Object Focus. The spell caster touches any object or person that originates from another dimension. Chance of successful location of the object's home dimension is 10% + 2% per level of experience of the spell caster. Failure means that a portal is opened, but to a completely random dimension.

Historical Focus. A spell caster can attempt to open a portal to a dimension with an alternate history. To do this with any accuracy, the spell caster must have a skill in History that covers the pivot point where that dimension became different from our own. For example, a spell caster with a knowledge of History-Roman could try locating a dimension where Julius Caesar was not assassinated and went on to strengthen Rome. Chance of successful location requires two rolls. The first must be under the spell caster's history skill, and the second is 20% + 4% per level of experience of the spell caster. Failure on either roll means that a portal is opened, but to a completely random dimension.

Inhabitant Focus. By visualizing the dominant race of the dimension, the spell caster attempts to find a new dimension. For example, the spell caster might try imagining a race of giant mutant pigeons. Chance of successful location is 5% + 1% per level of experience of the spell caster. Failure means opening a portal to a random dimension.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

isawarenshi wrote:

Both are in the BoM at the very least, and they cost several hundreds PPE (1000 for DP) ... you'll need plenty help or a ley line nexus to cast those.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
flatline
Knight

Svartalf wrote:
isawarenshi wrote:

Both are in the BoM at the very least, and they cost several hundreds PPE (1000 for DP) ... you'll need plenty help or a ley line nexus to cast those.

Good planning and execution are key.

In campaigns where we made lots of use of Dimensional Portal, we would make side trips to mass produce scrolls of DP and talisman PPE batteries.

--flatline

Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Wow, did you have large cults? Because a quiet ley line nexus is a rarity in a world with high magic levels.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

There are some spell casters that can cast the dimensional transportation spells at a fraction of their normal cost. Shifters are excellent at this type of thing and can cast these sorts of spells for large but not unmanagably large amounts of PPE. On a nexus with a couple energy spheres charged up a shifter should not have to much problem cranking out a scroll or two like this in a day if they can be defended while at work or working in a protected pyramid.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

kaid wrote:There are some spell casters that can cast the dimensional transportation spells at a fraction of their normal cost. Shifters are excellent at this type of thing and can cast these sorts of spells for large but not unmanagably large amounts of PPE. On a nexus with a couple energy spheres charged up a shifter should not have to much problem cranking out a scroll or two like this in a day if they can be defended while at work or working in a protected pyramid.

I do not think that the special shifter ritual can be used in reducing a scrolls cost. That said its not hard to come up with ways to get massive amounts of PPE on a regular basis. (One of my game groups was fond of slaughter houses for instance, and Flatline advocates just draining the PPE from random people in non-magic worlds)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Shark_Force
Palladin

Svartalf wrote:
isawarenshi wrote:

uhhhh. no. circle of travel is actually pretty inexpensive, relatively speaking. you only need 300 at a time. with the right sorcerous proficiency (you'd need to own through the glass darkly i think, a nightbane book, for more information on that), you can cut it down to 75 PPE even.

oh, and kaid... i don't think he's suggesting a shifter for less expensive spells (though a shifter would be able to use any lower costs for making the scroll as a ritual, just as they would for casting a spell; in this case, the ritual cost is based on the cost of casting the spell, so whoever is leading the ritual would benefit from less expensive spellcasting costs. either way it's kinda irrelevant because circle of travel doesn't have a reduced cost for shifters). i think he's suggesting a shifter because energy sphere is a very convenient way to build up your PPE for a bigger spell solo. and shifters can pick that spell starting from level 2, while other casters have to either learn it from a teacher or similar, or reach a high level, for a shifter it's easy. other casters can also pick up that spell at lower levels, but i'd say shifters are the more common type of mage, so easier to justify.

plus of course, shifters can also draw on PPE from any minions they might have.

also, you don't even need a nexus as of RUE. you can absorb PPE faster from a nexus, but your maximum is unchanged... so a random ley line works fine, just a little bit slower. (also, i don't entirely agree that a nexus will be crowded anyways... they cover something ridiculous like a mile diameter, which means that nobody who can't patrol that area can realistically control a nexus anyways, and most sorcerous brotherhoods don't have either the manpower or the inclination to spend all their time doing that, which means they'd have to pay someone else... and that gets expensive extremely fast).
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Braden Campbell wrote:A Shifter can do it for about 75 PPE...

Only to the closest nexus point to your destination.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
kaid
Knight

Unread post by kaid »

Shark_Force wrote:
Svartalf wrote:
isawarenshi wrote:

uhhhh. no. circle of travel is actually pretty inexpensive, relatively speaking. you only need 300 at a time. with the right sorcerous proficiency (you'd need to own through the glass darkly i think, a nightbane book, for more information on that), you can cut it down to 75 PPE even.

oh, and kaid... i don't think he's suggesting a shifter for less expensive spells (though a shifter would be able to use any lower costs for making the scroll as a ritual, just as they would for casting a spell; in this case, the ritual cost is based on the cost of casting the spell, so whoever is leading the ritual would benefit from less expensive spellcasting costs. either way it's kinda irrelevant because circle of travel doesn't have a reduced cost for shifters). i think he's suggesting a shifter because energy sphere is a very convenient way to build up your PPE for a bigger spell solo. and shifters can pick that spell starting from level 2, while other casters have to either learn it from a teacher or similar, or reach a high level, for a shifter it's easy. other casters can also pick up that spell at lower levels, but i'd say shifters are the more common type of mage, so easier to justify.

plus of course, shifters can also draw on PPE from any minions they might have.

also, you don't even need a nexus as of RUE. you can absorb PPE faster from a nexus, but your maximum is unchanged... so a random ley line works fine, just a little bit slower. (also, i don't entirely agree that a nexus will be crowded anyways... they cover something ridiculous like a mile diameter, which means that nobody who can't patrol that area can realistically control a nexus anyways, and most sorcerous brotherhoods don't have either the manpower or the inclination to spend all their time doing that, which means they'd have to pay someone else... and that gets expensive extremely fast).

Actually there is a clarification in the book of magic that indicates that you can "overcharge" with PPE up to double or triple I can't recall which your normal maximum PPE you just cannot hold it at those levels for long. It is how you make use of the large PPE gathered from major sacrifices and can also work with nexus energy for casting bigger spells.

The problems with doing it on a leyline would be you charge less quickly so some would likely wind up dissipating before you could expel it as you can only handle surplus past your normal maximum PPE for a limited period of time.
Shark_Force
Palladin

kaid wrote:Actually there is a clarification in the book of magic that indicates that you can "overcharge" with PPE up to double or triple I can't recall which your normal maximum PPE you just cannot hold it at those levels for long. It is how you make use of the large PPE gathered from major sacrifices and can also work with nexus energy for casting bigger spells.

The problems with doing it on a leyline would be you charge less quickly so some would likely wind up dissipating before you could expel it as you can only handle surplus past your normal maximum PPE for a limited period of time.

and your maximum is still the same. it doesn't matter whether you're on a nexus, or on a ley line, the maximum you can store (which is unclear because iirc they tell you you can store triple your base amount without telling you whether that includes your base amount or not) remains the same.

and while at some point the ley line is going to be a problem in terms of losing faster than you gain, you'd need an awful lot of PPE for that to be a concern. iirc, the longest you can hold it is something like PE in minutes... so if you have a PE of 10, on a ley line you could collect 400 PPE at a time. easily enough for a circle of travel (and of course, this presumes no further resources... in all honesty, if we're assuming that someone has access to a level 15 spell, I consider it quite reasonable to expect them to have at least *some* other resources available to them, including spells that will help cut down costs).
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

I have a rule of thumb that most of the magic kingdoms are connected via Circle of Travel. Ones that are closely aligned (such as Lazlo and New Lazlo) have up to a dozen circles which can be used in a manner similar to public transportation (just pay a fee). Kingdoms that are not on good terms might have just one connection which is guarded on either end. And if you like an espionage angle, you can have magic forces trying to setup illicit circles while the locals root them out.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Mack wrote:I have a rule of thumb that most of the magic kingdoms are connected via Circle of Travel. Ones that are closely aligned (such as Lazlo and New Lazlo) have up to a dozen circles which can be used in a manner similar to public transportation (just pay a fee). Kingdoms that are not on good terms might have just one connection which is guarded on either end. And if you like an espionage angle, you can have magic forces trying to setup illicit circles while the locals root them out.

I love the idea of uncovering a hidden basement in an abandoned house that has dozens of Circles of Travel, all leading to unknown places. Who lived in this house previously? Where do all these Circles of Travel go to?
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Mack
Supreme Being
Comment: This space for rent.

Unread post by Mack »

Glistam wrote:
Mack wrote:I have a rule of thumb that most of the magic kingdoms are connected via Circle of Travel. Ones that are closely aligned (such as Lazlo and New Lazlo) have up to a dozen circles which can be used in a manner similar to public transportation (just pay a fee). Kingdoms that are not on good terms might have just one connection which is guarded on either end. And if you like an espionage angle, you can have magic forces trying to setup illicit circles while the locals root them out.

I love the idea of uncovering a hidden basement in an abandoned house that has dozens of Circles of Travel, all leading to unknown places. Who lived in this house previously? Where do all these Circles of Travel go to?

Yep, could make quite and interesting adventure.

And while it is a level 15 spell, it has a range of 800 miles per level. Meaning even a low-level caster could setup intra-continental travel, and a mid-level caster could setup inter-continental travel.
Some gave all.
Love your neighbor.
Know the facts. Know your opinion. Know the difference.

Return to “Rifts®”