Explain how "repair" works in Rifts...

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: Explain how "repair" works in Rifts...

Unread post by Glistam »

Page 312 of Rifts: Ultimate Edition talks about repairs a bit, though probably not in the depth you'd like.

Page 64 of the Rifts: Bionics Sourcebook talks about self-repair of Bionics - simply put, if you can make your "applicable" skill roll for repair then it will be repaired and required parts at a cost of 1,000 credits per M.D.C. repaired, 100 credits per S.D.C. repaired, or 10% of the cost of the component if a specific component.

Page 98 of Rifts: Mercenaries lists costs for labor for repairs and modifications to M.D.C. vehicles. You could use those across the board or just extrapolate from that info, but it still doesn't provide solid answers.

Page 92 of Rifts: Ultimate Edition probably lists the best guide:
Page 92 of Rifts: Ultimate Edition wrote:Can completely repair most parts, machines, and vehicles at a cost of 25% of its original list price (plus his time if he's charging for it; typically another 30% to 50%).

With that guide you can reverse engineer the repair costs in Sourcebook 1 and Mercenaries in order to determine what you may be looking for.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

It all depends on how fast you can get the PPE to cast Mend the Broken...

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Riftmaker
Adventurer

Unread post by Riftmaker »

HU galaxy guide has repair rules for how much you can restore with each skill.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Is there a spell that can turn MDC into SDC temporarily to take advantage of reduced MtB costs?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
FluidicAztec
Explorer

Unread post by FluidicAztec »

Rifter's 50 & 51 have awesome Vehicle Construction Rules that go into great detail on component cost. Rifter 51 talks about repair rules and costs. It should have most of what you need.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Glistam wrote:Page 98 of Rifts: Mercenaries lists costs for labor for repairs and modifications to M.D.C. vehicles. You could use those across the board or just extrapolate from that info, but it still doesn't provide solid answers.

I see a cost for adding additional MDC (2k per 10) but I don't think that would cover repairs.

Glistam wrote:Page 92 of Rifts: Ultimate Edition probably lists the best guide:
Page 92 of Rifts: Ultimate Edition wrote:Can completely repair most parts, machines, and vehicles at a cost of 25% of its original list price (plus his time if he's charging for it; typically another 30% to 50%).

With that guide you can reverse engineer the repair costs in Sourcebook 1 and Mercenaries in order to determine what you may be looking for.

Glad you pointed this out, others had pointed out the 1200/MDC rate before for main body and "key sections", but I had never noticed that blanket 25% thing. That's a good deal for low-cost vehicles or power armor with lots of MDC. Not so much for repairing robot vehicles though, due to their higher costs. Even their absurdly high rates in the Sourcebook could still be preferable.

flatline wrote:It all depends on how fast you can get the PPE to cast Mend the Broken...

I wonder about the limits of what this spell can target.

It mentions it repairs "inanimate" objects, wouldn't that interfere with repairing a vehicle, robot or power armor? Possibly even environmental systems?

Or at least require extensive time like you would have to dismantle it into its core components so that nothing could move before it could be cast?

It also says "only work on physical damage (not electronic or software" so wouldn't that interfere with advanced vehicles? A classic gasoline engine might be okay (cept for the whole moving parts bit) but things with electric engines, or the electric software in robots or power armor, would seem to cause problems.

I could see the spell dealing with superficial damage to plating and stuff like that, but nothing so extensive as it begins to cause problems for the thing.

In the Conversion Book (originally 13) page 13-14 the optional Robot Combat Damage tables began after losing 60% (40% left) so that would be a good guideline, I think. Most things, you could use MTB if they had a mere 20% left, but for electronics/robots, you can only repair up to 60% of what is lost, anything beyond that should require an operator to deal with it. Going below 40% should begin logging damage you can't just spell away.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Tor wrote:
Glistam wrote:Page 98 of Rifts: Mercenaries lists costs for labor for repairs and modifications to M.D.C. vehicles. You could use those across the board or just extrapolate from that info, but it still doesn't provide solid answers.

I see a cost for adding additional MDC (2k per 10) but I don't think that would cover repairs.

Glistam wrote:Page 92 of Rifts: Ultimate Edition probably lists the best guide:

Glad you pointed this out, others had pointed out the 1200/MDC rate before for main body and "key sections", but I had never noticed that blanket 25% thing. That's a good deal for low-cost vehicles or power armor with lots of MDC. Not so much for repairing robot vehicles though, due to their higher costs. Even their absurdly high rates in the Sourcebook could still be preferable.

flatline wrote:It all depends on how fast you can get the PPE to cast Mend the Broken...

I wonder about the limits of what this spell can target.

It mentions it repairs "inanimate" objects, wouldn't that interfere with repairing a vehicle, robot or power armor? Possibly even environmental systems?

Or at least require extensive time like you would have to dismantle it into its core components so that nothing could move before it could be cast?

It also says "only work on physical damage (not electronic or software" so wouldn't that interfere with advanced vehicles? A classic gasoline engine might be okay (cept for the whole moving parts bit) but things with electric engines, or the electric software in robots or power armor, would seem to cause problems.

I could see the spell dealing with superficial damage to plating and stuff like that, but nothing so extensive as it begins to cause problems for the thing.

In the Conversion Book (originally 13) page 13-14 the optional Robot Combat Damage tables began after losing 60% (40% left) so that would be a good guideline, I think. Most things, you could use MTB if they had a mere 20% left, but for electronics/robots, you can only repair up to 60% of what is lost, anything beyond that should require an operator to deal with it. Going below 40% should begin logging damage you can't just spell away.

Make note that it says "animate", and not "moving".
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Odd thought. The optional rules for critical damage state the effects also take place when his occur after 60% of a target location has been depleted.

You coooouuulld take that to mean less costly repairs when damage is under that amount, as the majority of your repair would just be armor.

Maybe.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I guess it depends on how we define an animate (an animated) object. That earth warlock spell which makes puppets and stuff move around comes to mind. I would think a robot moving under its own power, whether AI or vehicle, might possibly qualify. Even some power armor moves on its own, think how it has its own PS attribute and aids the pilot in running endurance. Or the powered rotor of helicopter blades.

Even environmental armor probably does stuff like circulate air with fans, some minor indiscernable kind of movement.

Makes me wonder if this can do anything besides repair ancient-style platemail.

Also, that option of adding MDC via plating which I brought up in May, that seems purely inanimate so repairing those additions (or the extra MDC you buy for a Mountaineer) should be covered by the spell. Pretty much any case where you can increase MDC above baseline (even for environmental) should be repairable since it doesn't seem to cover a function purpose besides protection.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Treebore wrote:IE repairing vehicles, mechs, recharging, etc... I don't mean the costs for paying for it to be done, I find those easy enough, but I mean things like estimating time, costs when you can do it yourself, etc... and what is official, and what is "How I do it in my game setting..."?

While I am at it, are there any other monster dedicated books for Rifts, such as Dark Conversions?

Re: Repair Times.
I do not think I have ever seen them in any Rifts Book. I know I have seen them in the 1st Edition Robotech books (specifically Invid Invasion and Sentinels under the Bio-Maintenance Engineer OCC that appeared in both books, the REF Field Scientist also has a similar for research purposes in Sentinels.). The only other book that comes to mind is the Heroes Unlimited 2Edition main book has a similar set of rules under the Hardware category (specifically the Mechanical Genius, should apply to Rifts still just change SDC to MDC in the text since that is what it looks like they did between the two settings).

Note that those where First Edition Robotech books, they are not repeated in the current Second Edition. The HU2E might be repeated/found in 1E/1R and/or other books that I do not know of off hand.

Re: dedicated monster book:
Not really. The closest that comes to mind is D-Bees of North America, but I'm not sure if that's what you are really looking for since they are less monsters and more just aliens (or perceived to be) and maybe the 'bug book (but it only deals with the Xitic). Haydes and Dryval Dimension books might also qualify,though they like the 'bug book to probably cover other topics related to them (like social structure, tech/magic, geography, politics, etc) Most books do have new creatures available to varying degrees and a few have Random Tables (like the old Rifts Main Book, Underseas, and Japan).
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

Monsters and Animals for Palladium Fantasy is a dedicated monster book, and even has notes for MD settings.
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

ShadowLogan wrote:I know I have seen them in the 1st Edition Robotech books (specifically Invid Invasion and Sentinels under the Bio-Maintenance Engineer OCC that appeared in both books, the REF Field Scientist also has a similar for research purposes in Sentinels.).

IIp11 (same stats Sentinels21) says under Time Restrictions 7 "replacing" armor takes 2 hours per 10 MDC. I guess that means you can't do 5 MDC in an hour or 1 MDC in 12 minutes? It says "field repairs" takes 3x as long and still requires bonding equipment and a battloid to do lifting.

Without a battloid (or in Rifts, some kinda humanoid robot), I'm not sure how long it'd take to try and do repairs with just the bonding equipment. You couldn't just slap on big parts quickly so I imagine it'd take way longer since you'd need to have stuff broken down into smaller components you were capable of lifting with lower-PS equipment and then assemble them on location.

ShadowLogan wrote:The only other book that comes to mind is the Heroes Unlimited 2Edition main book has a similar set of rules under the Hardware category (specifically the Mechanical Genius

HU2p126 Time Restrictions 4 says adding/replacing additional armor is 2 hours per 10 SDC. Does seem like an SDC copy of the BME from Robotech. Semantically though, doess "replacing additional" armor cover all repairs, or only when you buy armor upgrades? Perhaps damage to the base SDC of a vehicle takes much longer?

ShadowLogan wrote:should apply to Rifts still just change SDC to MDC in the text since that is what it looks like they did between the two settings).

Not sure if we should, I had thought that SDC stuff from HU remained SDC in Rifts and that you specifically had to upgrade it to MDC after crossing dimensions.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Tor wrote:IIp11 (same stats Sentinels21) says under Time Restrictions 7 "replacing" armor takes 2 hours per 10 MDC. I guess that means you can't do 5 MDC in an hour or 1 MDC in 12 minutes? It says "field repairs" takes 3x as long and still requires bonding equipment and a battloid to do lifting.

I do not see why you couldn't. They are establishing a rate, so long as you don't exceede that rate I do not see what the issue is.

Tor wrote:Without a battloid (or in Rifts, some kinda humanoid robot), I'm not sure how long it'd take to try and do repairs with just the bonding equipment. You couldn't just slap on big parts quickly so I imagine it'd take way longer since you'd need to have stuff broken down into smaller components you were capable of lifting with lower-PS equipment and then assemble them on location.

humanoid robot is not required, even for RT. What it would require is some means to lift and move heavy items really, that could mean scaffolding/pulleys, forklifts, cranes, etc.

Tor wrote:Not sure if we should, I had thought that SDC stuff from HU remained SDC in Rifts and that you specifically had to upgrade it to MDC after crossing dimensions.

You aren't following. You wouldn't suddenly change the actual HU2E hardware, you are merely adapting the repair rules to cover MDC materials which based on 1E RT and HU2E convert at 1:1 ratio. If we use SDC repair time, it can take 20 hours for 1 MDC (1MMD=100SD), and that is for a "scratch" never mind more major repair work. Basically the rate would read something like "with the proper materials the rate is 1 hour per 5 points restored (SDC or MDC per the materials involved).
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

The issue is that the rates they state assume you have a Battloid to lift stuff into place, so if you didn't have the PS/height to help you out, you'd have to jury-rig some other means of getting stuff into place which should slow you down.

I agree that scaffold/pulley/forklift could work too, but I think it would slow things down at least slightly.

If repairing 100 SDC lets you repair 1 MDC then does healing 100 HP or SDC allow you to heal MDC?
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Tor wrote:The issue is that the rates they state assume you have a Battloid to lift stuff into place, so if you didn't have the PS/height to help you out, you'd have to jury-rig some other means of getting stuff into place which should slow you down.

I agree that scaffold/pulley/forklift could work too, but I think it would slow things down at least slightly.

If repairing 100 SDC lets you repair 1 MDC then does healing 100 HP or SDC allow you to heal MDC?

No.
repair is typically used in this sense to nonliving and healing to living. So you can not heal a robot to repair its MDC. Healing a 100hp/sdc would equal healing 1 MD but only applicable to things that can be healed.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

That's not what I'm talking about.

You were saying that a SDC-repair skill could accrue the repair of MDC (for bots)

So I am wondering if an SDC-heal ability could accrue the healing of MDC (for living)
Blue_Lion
Knight

Unread post by Blue_Lion »

Tor wrote:That's not what I'm talking about.

You were saying that a SDC-repair skill could accrue the repair of MDC (for bots)

So I am wondering if an SDC-heal ability could accrue the healing of MDC (for living)

No I never said SDC could repair MDC. Some one else may have been.
But I did misread what you asked. Some how I read it as healing repairing something. Which is what I said no to.
Pre-Rue SD/hp damage could not stack into MD even if you had thousands. IN rue it can in damage so the reverse would be true logically, but as it does not say so would be subject to a GM call.
The Clones are coming you shall all be replaced, but who is to say you have not been replaced already.

Master of Type-O and the obvios.

Soon my army oc clones and winged-monkies will rule the world but first, must .......

I may debate canon and RAW, but the games I run are highly house ruled. So I am not debating for how I play but about how the system works as written.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

If we use SDC repair time, it can take 20 hours for 1 MDC (1MMD=100SD)

Right, that was ShadowLogan. =/

Return to “Rifts®”