Radioactive ammo

Ley Line walkers, Juicers, Coalition Troops, Samas, Tolkeen, & The Federation Of Magic. Come together here to discuss all things Rifts®.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Slight001
Hero

Radioactive ammo

Unread post by Slight001 »

So after reading Megaverse in Flames I find myself imaging new weaponry for the destruction supernatural and magical beings.

As per Triax and the NGR we have U-Rounds as an alternative to standard railgun ammo. U-Rounds are listed as problematic as they contaminate the environment. I found an interesting bit of info in World book 5...

Triax and the NGR, pg 142 wrote:Triax has learned that the phenomenal healing powers of most (92%) supernatural menaces and creatures of magic are seriously impaired by radioactive material. Not radiation itself, but radioactive material that penetrates the skin.

Uranium might be a well known radioactive metal but its not the only one... just a quick research spree on google found Thorium as a commercially active (meaning that's actively being used commercially) radioactive metal that could be (in theory) used for railgun ammo. Its radiation level is less then uranium and it's more common, while having a similar density. Combine this with a shift away from the machine gun spray of most railguns towards a more semi-auto style such as the NG-R50 or GB Boomgun which fire a single round and you might just have a viable way to slaughter large numbers of supernatural and magical beings without unnecessarily contaminating an area with ammo that mostly misses the target.

I'm posting this to see if my theory holds up to the scrutiny of rifts boards.

Sources; Thorium, Uranium.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Radioactive ammo

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

if it's less severe radiation, it probablly won't be enough to stop bio-regeneration from expelling the rounds.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Funny thing is that DU rounds should still work then. We had to go and Clean up A-10 tank kill sights because the bullets were radio active. They said it was because of the impact on armor.

Brings up an interesting question then... How do you get it into a vampire to be effective? It would have to be silver plated or someone could just enrich silver and make it radio active.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Nekira Sudacne wrote:if it's less severe radiation, it probablly won't be enough to stop bio-regeneration from expelling the rounds.

but the books don't give a rad count just that it must be radio active. I wonder why the radio active drgon in one of the pfrpg adventures can regenerate.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

the book goes out of it's way to note that it isn't the radioactive nature of the bullet. it's just something about non-depleted uranium. *could* there be some other radioactive material that has the same effect? sure. could be. but there are none that we know of. there could also be completely safe non-radioactive materials with the same effect... but again, there are none that we know of.

truthfully, we don't even know *why* U-rounds prevent bio-regeneration... we just know that they do.
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

Shark_Force wrote:the book goes out of it's way to note that it isn't the radioactive nature of the bullet. it's just something about non-depleted uranium. *could* there be some other radioactive material that has the same effect? sure. could be. but there are none that we know of. there could also be completely safe non-radioactive materials with the same effect... but again, there are none that we know of.

truthfully, we don't even know *why* U-rounds prevent bio-regeneration... we just know that they do.
Actually, it says "radioactive material."

It doesn't specifically limit the possibilities to just Uranium.
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Slight001
Hero

Zer0 Kay wrote:Brings up an interesting question then... How do you get it into a vampire to be effective? It would have to be silver plated or someone could just enrich silver and make it radio active.

No idea. Personally just from the write up it sounds like vampires are simply vulnerable to radioactive material as they are listed.

Does anyone else know of any references to D/U-Rounds in other Rifts books? I checked Triax 2 and couldn't find much except that Gargoyles are apparently affected by the radiation as they talk about males being at least temporarily sterile. I was looking to find out if the ammo has been imported/adopted in america.
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Bananas are radioactive! Take that, foul demon!
Hotrod
Author, Rifter Contributor, and Map Artist
Duty's Edge, a Rifts novel. Available as an ebook, PDF,or printed book.
Check out my maps here!
Also, check out my Instant NPC Generators!
Like what you see? There's more on my Patreon Page.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Hotrod wrote:Bananas are radioactive! Take that, foul demon!

Yes, pretty funny how the anti-nuclear sorts aren't horrified over the fact that Potassium has a surprisingly high percentage of its isotope in nature being of the radioactive sort, so bananas being rich in Potassium are also more radioactive in comparison.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
slade the sniper
Hero

Unread post by slade the sniper »

Californium-251 has a very small calculated critical mass (about 5 kg (11 lb)),[63] high lethality, and a relatively short period of toxic environmental irradiation. The low critical mass of californium led to some exaggerated claims about possible uses for the element.

Anyone know what the mass of the Glitter Boy projectile is?

-STS
My skin is not a sin - Carlos Wallace
A man's rights rest in three boxes. The ballot box, jury box and the cartridge box - Frederick Douglass
I am a firm believer that men with guns can solve any problem - Inscriptus
Any system in which the most populated areas have the most political power, creates an incentive for areas that want power to increase their population - Killer Cyborg
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:if it's less severe radiation, it probablly won't be enough to stop bio-regeneration from expelling the rounds.

but the books don't give a rad count just that it must be radio active. I wonder why the radio active drgon in one of the pfrpg adventures can regenerate.

Actually they do. they make clear that depleted uranium rounds do not have this effect, and depeleted uranium is still quite radioactive, it's just not as much as weapons grade uranium.

Which means yes, it clearly states a very HIGHLY radioactive substance is needed.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

on the otherhand it doesn't sem to matter what kind of radiation is involved.. uranium is an alpha emitter, pretty much harmless unless the isotope itself gets in the body or enough is lumped together to reach critical mass.

which actually brings up a thought.. given the amount of ammo in a PA's ammo bings for a railgun, why aren't the U-round slugs causing a meltdown? they'd probably need specially built ammo bins to carry them safely.
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
cornholioprime
Palladin
Comment: At long last....I am FINALLY free of my wonderful addiction to the online Flash game "Bloons."
Well, mostly.....
Location: In the Hivelands with General Jericho Holmes, taking advantage of suddenly stupid Xiticix...

Unread post by cornholioprime »

glitterboy2098 wrote:on the otherhand it doesn't sem to matter what kind of radiation is involved.. uranium is an alpha emitter, pretty much harmless unless the isotope itself gets in the body or enough is lumped together to reach critical mass.

which actually brings up a thought.. given the amount of ammo in a PA's ammo bings for a railgun, why aren't the U-round slugs causing a meltdown? they'd probably need specially built ammo bins to carry them safely.
You need enough of a given radioactive element in the same small space to cause a meltdown.
Nuclear reactions of that sort require the free neutrons of the radioactive element to be close enough to enough other radioactive atoms to have an effect -really really really close to each other on the atomic scale -and in the case of even a canister's worth of U-rounds, the resulting, randomly-distributed neutrons have way too many other places to go.

(To give you an example of the 'vast' distances involved from a recent episode of Cosmos, if an atom's electron shell was roughly the radius of a medium-sized cathedral......the nucleus would be the size of a single floating dust mote in the very center.)
The Kevinomicon, Book of Siembieda 3:16.

16 Blessed art Thou above all others, O COALITION STATES, beloved of Kevin;

17 For Thou art allowed to do Evil without Limit, nor do thy Enemies retaliate.

18 Thy Military be run by Fools and Dotards.

19 Yet thy Nation suffers not. Praise be unto Him that protects thee from all harm!!
Svartalf
Champion
Comment: Beware of the Friar Tuck type putting on the French Maid outfit!

Unread post by Svartalf »

Zer0 Kay wrote:Funny thing is that DU rounds should still work then. We had to go and Clean up A-10 tank kill sights because the bullets were radio active. They said it was because of the impact on armor.

Brings up an interesting question then... How do you get it into a vampire to be effective? It would have to be silver plated or someone could just enrich silver and make it radio active.

DU means depleted in fissile material, U238 still is radioactive, if less so and less dangerous than its 235 brother.

and vamps are a special case, even a collloidal suspension in holy water would likely not hurt them.
Svartalf - Flamboyantly Fresh Franco of Freedom Freakin' Fries : Shadyslug
Embrace the Darkness, it needs a hug - Cherico
PC stands for "patronizing cretin" G'mo
I name you honorary American Subjugator & Ratbastard
Slight001
Hero

Svartalf wrote:DU means depleted in fissile material, U238 still is radioactive, if less so and less dangerous than its 235 brother.

Bloody hells, you might be onto something Svartalf! We know DU's just do extra damage and U's frack up the regeneration process with the only difference being presence of fissionable material. It stands to reason then that fissile material itself is the key.

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Actually they do. they make clear that depleted uranium rounds do not have this effect, and depleted uranium is still quite radioactive, it's just not as much as weapons grade uranium.

Which means yes, it clearly states a very HIGHLY radioactive substance is needed.

To finish out the paragraph I quoted earlier...
Triax and the NGR wrote:This had led to the development of a special type of rail gun projectile/bullet. A low radiation round called Uranium Rounds or more commonly known as U-Rounds.

while more radioactive then Depleted Uranium it would appear that the U-Rounds are not intended to be "highly" radioactive.
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

i think fissile material would be the key, since that seems to be the only difference between U-rounds and DU. or rather, the amount of fissile material in it.
DU is less than 0.3% fissile material.
natural uranium runs about 0.72%
enriched uranium is anywhere from 20% to 80% fissile material, depending on it's intended application. (reactors tend to get by with lower %'s, weapons with higher)

i'd say that U-rounds are probably made from enriched uranium

note that this would mean thorium is not viable for use as U-rounds.. thorium is not naturally fissile, and the handful of isotopes that are pretty rare. (thorium is fertile however, meaning it can become fissile with a neutron source to change its isotope, starting a fuel cycle that includes U-233, a heavily fissile material. makes it good for reactors but not for bombs directly..)
Last edited by glitterboy2098 on Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Svartalf wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Funny thing is that DU rounds should still work then. We had to go and Clean up A-10 tank kill sights because the bullets were radio active. They said it was because of the impact on armor.

DU means depleted in fissile material, U238 still is radioactive, if less so and less dangerous than its 235 brother.

and vamps are a special case, even a collloidal suspension in holy water would likely not hurt them.

So... Are you saying that Du rounds are still radioactive, just have no fizzle material?
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Shark_Force wrote:the book goes out of it's way to note that it isn't the radioactive nature of the bullet. it's just something about non-depleted uranium. *could* there be some other radioactive material that has the same effect? sure. could be. but there are none that we know of. there could also be completely safe non-radioactive materials with the same effect... but again, there are none that we know of.

So then it may be entirely possible that like DU EU may also not hamper SCs regen? So essentially the Germans found a new silver bullet. In other words U works for the same reason silver works... Cuz.
Svartalf
Champion

Zer0 Kay wrote:
Svartalf wrote:

So... Are you saying that Du rounds are still radioactive, just have no fizzle material?

You'd have trouble finding the makings of an A bomb in a bunch of DU rounds, whereas if you got enough U rounds, you could enrich and purify the stuff till you had enough 235 to make a bomb... but I guess U rounds are natural (as opposed to enriched) U, so you still need a huge lot... Enriching is expensive in time and resources, so I guess enriched U is reserved for bombs and nuclear material.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Zer0 Kay wrote:

So then it may be entirely possible that like DU EU may also not hamper SCs regen? So essentially the Germans found a new silver bullet. In other words U works for the same reason silver works... Cuz.

pretty much. we just don't have a ton of details. all we know is that U-rounds work, and are made with uranium (which we don't know if it's enriched or regular, just that it isn't depleted). and DU-rounds don't.

other materials may work, or they may not. we don't know. but we do know that the radiation is not the reason.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Shark_Force wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

pretty much. we just don't have a ton of details. all we know is that U-rounds work, and are made with uranium (which we don't know if it's enriched or regular, just that it isn't depleted). and DU-rounds don't.

other materials may work, or they may not. we don't know. but we do know that the radiation is not the reason.

Sonthis is a problem with insufficient for a definitive answer and whatever we come up with is a house rule.
Shark_Force
Palladin

Zer0 Kay wrote:Sonthis is a problem with insufficient for a definitive answer and whatever we come up with is a house rule.

pretty much. but then, that's par for the course, really.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Shark_Force wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:Sonthis is a problem with insufficient for a definitive answer and whatever we come up with is a house rule.

pretty much. but then, that's par for the course, really.

yup. :(
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Svartalf wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Svartalf wrote:

You'd have trouble finding the makings of an A bomb in a bunch of DU rounds, whereas if you got enough U rounds, you could enrich and purify the stuff till you had enough 235 to make a bomb... but I guess U rounds are natural (as opposed to enriched) U, so you still need a huge lot... Enriching is expensive in time and resources, so I guess enriched U is reserved for bombs and nuclear material.

given the book says that any faction with the ability to make nuclear powerplants could make U-rounds, instead of stating anyone with access to uranium, i'd say it is probable that U-rounds are made from Enriched Uranium. enriched uranium is something that you only really have in quantities if you have the systems in place to make reactor fuel. if it was just natural uranium, anyone with access to pitchblend could make U-rounds, even if they didn't have the ability to fuel a reactor.

plus natural uranium doesn't have that much more fissile material than DU does (enough more to make a difference for terminology, but still not much.)

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
vakusdrake
D-Bee

Unread post by vakusdrake »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

Actually they do. they make clear that depleted uranium rounds do not have this effect, and depeleted uranium is still quite radioactive, it's just not as much as weapons grade uranium.

Actually depleted uranium has very little radioactivity, its main health concern is that it's naturally toxic like many other heavy metals, such as tungsten (though both are much less toxic than lead)
vakusdrake
D-Bee

Svartalf wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:
Svartalf wrote:

natural uranium has very little uranium 235 (about .7%) and is not very radioactive as a result, thus I think it should be assumed that U-rounds are enriched uranium, if the U-rounds were natural uranium then the uranium would be affecting supernatural creatures much more strongly than it would affect a human (assuming of course that the rounds were shot out of a non MD firearm so they wouldn't just blow them to bits)
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

vakusdrake wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote:

Actually depleted uranium has very little radioactivity, its main health concern is that it's naturally toxic like many other heavy metals, such as tungsten (though both are much less toxic than lead)

quite radioactive compared to your standard lead bullet. I suppose I was being a bit vauge there :lol:

Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

I'm still pondering the potential awesomeness of a banana slingshot of demon slaying.

By the way, I feel compelled to clarify something. All naturally occurring uranium is radioactive, but the two naturally occurring isotopes of Uranium are not "highly radioactive". Their half lives are ~700 million years for U-235 and 4.6 billion years for U-238. You can drink out of cups and eat off plates glazed with uranium. In fact, many people did this for many years until WW2 (Look up Fiestaware if you're curious). Uranium is all around us in low concentrations, but even when it's mined and milled into yellow cake, it's not "very radioactive".

Shoot, I'll go even further than that. Even a 100% enriched sample of "weapons grade" uranium (pure U235) isn't very radioactive. To make it a radioactive hazard, it has to be used as a nuclear fuel. After a significant number of its atoms get split into fission products, THEN it starts getting "very radioactive", but the parts that are very radioactive aren't the uranium atoms. The radioactive atoms are the fission products, the remnants of atoms that split apart. These products undergo decays until they eventually become stable.

This sometimes leads to the misconception that depleted uranium is uranium that has been used in a reactor. This generally isn't the case (although it can be, and with some chemistry and processing, it's no more radioactive than the pre-reactor stuff). Depleted uranium is a byproduct of the enrichment product. When you want to get higher concentrations of U235 (naturally occurring at 0.7%), you need to do a lot of separating. You pump the natural-concentration uranium in, and you get a little bit of enriched uranium, and a euphemism - ton of uranium with a below-natural concentration of U-235, which isn't of much interest for nuclear applications. That by-product is the depleted uranium. I wouldn't characterize it as more or less of a radioactive hazard than natural uranium, because neither is a significant radioactive hazard, any more than potassium is.

So yeah, banana guns for the Heroes of Humanity!
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
vakusdrake
D-Bee

Hotrod wrote:I'm still pondering the potential awesomeness of a banana slingshot of demon slaying.

By the way, I feel compelled to clarify something. All naturally occurring uranium is radioactive, but the two naturally occurring isotopes of Uranium are not "highly radioactive". Their half lives are ~700 million years for U-235 and 4.6 billion years for U-238. You can drink out of cups and eat off plates glazed with uranium. In fact, many people did this for many years until WW2 (Look up Fiestaware if you're curious). Uranium is all around us in low concentrations, but even when it's mined and milled into yellow cake, it's not "very radioactive".

Shoot, I'll go even further than that. Even a 100% enriched sample of "weapons grade" uranium (pure U235) isn't very radioactive. To make it a radioactive hazard, it has to be used as a nuclear fuel. After a significant number of its atoms get split into fission products, THEN it starts getting "very radioactive", but the parts that are very radioactive aren't the uranium atoms. The radioactive atoms are the fission products, the remnants of atoms that split apart. These products undergo decays until they eventually become stable.

This sometimes leads to the misconception that depleted uranium is uranium that has been used in a reactor. This generally isn't the case (although it can be, and with some chemistry and processing, it's no more radioactive than the pre-reactor stuff). Depleted uranium is a byproduct of the enrichment product. When you want to get higher concentrations of U235 (naturally occurring at 0.7%), you need to do a lot of separating. You pump the natural-concentration uranium in, and you get a little bit of enriched uranium, and a euphemism - ton of uranium with a below-natural concentration of U-235, which isn't of much interest for nuclear applications. That by-product is the depleted uranium. I wouldn't characterize it as more or less of a radioactive hazard than natural uranium, because neither is a significant radioactive hazard, any more than potassium is.

So yeah, banana guns for the Heroes of Humanity!

I don't know that uranium 235 is that safe, they did use it for the first nuclear bombs you need a mass of 33 pounds to reach critical mass (though this can be much lower if using neutron reflectors) whereas 238 effectively has no critical mass, so assuming U-rounds are enriched uranium probably 80% 235 then you wouldn't need that much ammunition close together to get a small nuclear explosion
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

actually if you reach critical mass they'd just have a meltdown unless controlled like in a reactor

to get a bomb you'd need specifically designed systems.. nuclear material does not explode naturally, it has to be forced into the right set ups.

but yeah.. 33lbs of U-rounds would be only a couple of bursts of railgun ammo, so the ammo bins would have to be very carefully designed to keep the rounds from interacting radiologically.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

"Safe" and "radioactive" are two different things. Radioactive means that it is a material that isn't inherently stable, and will decay over time into a more stable configuration. U235 can be dangerous in critical mass of high concentration, but the danger doesn't come from its radioactivity.

U-235 is fissile, meaning that it can support a sustained chain reaction. A chain reaction happens when a neutron comes in, causes a fission, which releases more neutrons, some of which go on to cause more fissions. To do this, the fissile material must be in a mass and a geometry that allow a chain reaction to happen. A small sample of U-235 that is too small to sustain a chain reaction in any geometry is as safe to handle as U-238; not enough neutrons from a fission will move on to cause another fission, and any neutron flux introduced will simply die away.

The idea of storing a whole lot of bullets made from weapons-grade U235 in a tight ammunition drum would actually create a major safety risk, because this would create a high mass of high-concentration U235, which could create a system that could support a chain reaction. Some stray neutron would kick off a runaway chain reaction that would create major problems for people nearby.

Bottom line, enriched uranium bullets would be a bad and unsafe idea, but not because of their radioactivity.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Hotrod
Knight

Unread post by Hotrod »

Oh, and glitterboy2098 is right. Simply piling a lot of enriched uranium together will not create a nuclear explosion. Worst-case, you get a blue flash and a large radiation dose to the immediate area. This is called a criticality accident. There have been dozens of criticality accidents, and none has resulted in a nuclear explosion.
Hotrod
Check out my maps here!
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Hotrod wrote:Oh, and glitterboy2098 is right. Simply piling a lot of enriched uranium together will not create a nuclear explosion. Worst-case, you get a blue flash and a large radiation dose to the immediate area. This is called a criticality accident. There have been dozens of criticality accidents, and none has resulted in a nuclear explosion.

Well not quite, the first A-bomb using U-235 was considered such a given to work due to the simplicity of it they never even bothered testing the design (plus U-235 was so scarce they couldn't really afford to test it) which required little more than properly shaped U-235 that they 'shot' a sphere of more U-235 into it to cross the critical mass point. When it did it went nuclear. Plutonium on the other hand requires far more complexity in order to make it work.

They wouldn't be using U-235 for U-Rounds in any case, takes far more to process and stock that than U-238 and the U-238 far less radioactive. Whichever you used though you would have problems with storage since even without risk of going critical all those rounds in close proximity would likely be generating a lot of excess heat.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Svartalf
Champion

But U238 is what makes up DU rounds, so U rounds by definition are Uranium with an amount of 235... the question is whether it's enriched U, and if so, how enriched.
vakusdrake
D-Bee

hmm yeah it's difficult to come up with any ammunition which would be radioactive enough to stop supernatural regeneration, while also being stable enough to not be prone to critical mass explosions or meltdowns either of which would certainly be catastrophic. If anyone could come up with a more logically sound alternative to Rift's U-rounds then we could just use those and ignore KS's less than spectacular knowledge of nuclear physics.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

vakusdrake wrote:hmm yeah it's difficult to come up with any ammunition which would be radioactive enough to stop supernatural regeneration, while also being stable enough to not be prone to critical mass explosions or meltdowns either of which would certainly be catastrophic. If anyone could come up with a more logically sound alternative to Rift's U-rounds then we could just use those and ignore KS's less than spectacular knowledge of nuclear physics.

Easy. Uranium is, like silver for some strange reason elementally toxic to most supernatural life (and unlife) processeses. However just like silver it requires certain purity levels to work. In the case of Uranium these purity levels seem to involve its radioactivity levels as well. The exact reasons for this are highly technical and only the most learned of alchemists can explain it. Most others upon hearing the explanations simply smile, nod and roll vs Mental Stun.
Presto, a potential way to justify the effects.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

your answer is only NPCs can make sense of the why? not hating, but just looking for clarification.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Alrik Vas wrote:your answer is only NPCs can make sense of the why? not hating, but just looking for clarification.

The exact details on the alchemical-mystical-chemical properties of why uranium is toxic in proportion to radiation is .... hyper obscure. It fact its so obscure as to be on the same scale as explaining the quantization of P.P.E, or the exact mechanical operation of aura or how predictions can be both always true and false.....
Which is to say "Okay the books say this, so there is an in game explanation. And I am sure that super skilled sages in the fields can understand it. But I haven't a clue, and no one who is not a specialist in the field is going to understand it either. But you can understand that U-rounds work and DU-rounds work."
Its a step above 'because they do' that removes the (likely futile) problem of trying to make some sort of logical, self consistent 'real world' explanation of how it works.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

in regards to storage.. keep in mind this is a setting where EBA (with what looks to be less than an inch thick of material) can stop even gamma rays (which normally need at least an inch's worth of lead.. and a lot more if using anything else) completely.

rifts seems to have discovered some means to block even high energy radiation using very little physical material. how is not described**, but whatever material or process is used for EBA, PA, Robots, and other environmentally sealed MDC constructs can very likely be leveraged to create a storage bin for U-rounds to prevent a melt down.

**at least, in official materials. in rifter zero geology article there is a description of the material used, but i do not believe that article is official.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I make radiation shielding suspect in my games. also, things have much more mass. a SAM would be closer to a ton and would fly slower in my game, but I make a lot of high impact changes that are mostly flavor.

rail guns don't burst either, for instance. I just have them use heavy armor penatrators and less ammunition.

and all radioactive ammunition has to be carried in specially shielded containers that are larger, heavier, and carry less material. but as the effects are pretty awesome, its worth it vs monsters that run away and come back at full health an hour later while your still missing half your armor.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
kronos
Hero

Unread post by kronos »

glitterboy2098 wrote:in regards to storage.. keep in mind this is a setting where EBA (with what looks to be less than an inch thick of material) can stop even gamma rays (which normally need at least an inch's worth of lead.. and a lot more if using anything else) completely.

rifts seems to have discovered some means to block even high energy radiation using very little physical material. how is not described**, but whatever material or process is used for EBA, PA, Robots, and other environmentally sealed MDC constructs can very likely be leveraged to create a storage bin for U-rounds to prevent a melt down.

**at least, in official materials. in rifter zero geology article there is a description of the material used, but i do not believe that article is official.

One theory for the materials... some of them are built and layered on a molecular level (glitterboy armour for example), so in the process of doing so, they create a stronger matrix of the molecules that make up the material.. even put a layer of lead between each layer of whatever they are making so that it creates a sandwich effect which helps block radiation and gamma rays better.
Theory two.. handwavium.
vakusdrake
D-Bee

kronos wrote:
glitterboy2098 wrote:in regards to storage.. keep in mind this is a setting where EBA (with what looks to be less than an inch thick of material) can stop even gamma rays (which normally need at least an inch's worth of lead.. and a lot more if using anything else) completely.

One theory for the materials... some of them are built and layered on a molecular level (glitterboy armour for example), so in the process of doing so, they create a stronger matrix of the molecules that make up the material.. even put a layer of lead between each layer of whatever they are making so that it creates a sandwich effect which helps block radiation and gamma rays better.
Theory two.. handwavium.

Given that body armor isn't incredibly heavy, it's silly to say that the body armor has anywhere near enough dense material to have any substantial protection against neutron and gamma ray radiation so clearly the answer is handwavium

Return to “Rifts®”